Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

I've heard that he collects rings too and uses a barrel to get along

Some time ago I also saw Machima post something about Mario vs. Sonic. I think SOnic won that one and the person speaking said 'Why did you vote for him? he can't do anything but run' or something along those lines, I forget it was a while ago.

A rather recent one I heard.

Everyone lives on Mobius.

They moved planets somehow. :P

Oh boy, that one was all over the place back when Sonic X was still on. Tons of people would argue about which games took place on Mobius (or "Sonic's unnamed home world" as those who realized that the old western name "Mobius" had been propped altogether called it) and which games took place on Earth. As for how or why Sonic and the gang would hop between planets like that was usually not considered.

You sure it's a pronoun as opposed to 'real name mystery' (ie his real name is a mystery)?

If so, LOL. :lol:

I suspect it's meant to be saying that his real name is unknown, yes. But the way it's written seems to suggest it's an actual name. I don't personally believe it, but it's a possible official character named Nazo - just NOT the one people think it is.

Edited by Thrippa

That Jet was Bean.

The minute I saw Jet in the first Sonic Riders trailer, I thought they had done a Sonic Heroes Chaotix esque comeback for Bean.

I've read of a few people who thought that Knuckles' story took place before or during Sonic's in Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic 3 and Knuckles but there's a good few hints that suggests that this is wrong and that Knux's story took place after Sonic's.

1 - The Island is in the air and not the sea as the background of Angel Island Act 1 and Sky Sanctuary prove.

2 - The ghosts in Sandopolis Act 2 have already been released.

3 - Knuckles doesn't go to the Death Egg because it's already been destroyed. The Death Egg is missing from the background of Lava Reef's acts as well as Hidden Palace's background.

4 - Sonic didn't destroy Mecha Sonic, he only disabled it. It goes down with presumably most of Sky Sanctuary. This leads Knux to finally destroy it.

5 - Sonic is free of his 'responsibilities' to save Knux on the Tornado.

I think the biggest misconceptions that I heard was that one could unlock Super Knuckles in Sonic Adventure and see another part of Station Square. I even remember reading about this on some magazines in the cheats section.

I've read of a few people who thought that Knuckles' story took place before or during Sonic's in Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic 3 and Knuckles but there's a good few hints that suggests that this is wrong and that Knux's story took place after Sonic's.

1 - The Island is in the air and not the sea as the background of Angel Island Act 1 and Sky Sanctuary prove.

2 - The ghosts in Sandopolis Act 2 have already been released.

3 - Knuckles doesn't go to the Death Egg because it's already been destroyed. The Death Egg is missing from the background of Lava Reef's acts as well as Hidden Palace's background.

4 - Sonic didn't destroy Mecha Sonic, he only disabled it. It goes down with presumably most of Sky Sanctuary. This leads Knux to finally destroy it.

5 - Sonic is free of his 'responsibilities' to save Knux on the Tornado.

That Escape from the City was by Crush 40(It was obviously Jun and Tony) , i see this loads. D: Actually any song with Jun and some one other than Johnny who's worked on it, I've seen Crush 40 credited.

Edited by Rabid-Noodles

That Escape from the City was by Crush 40(It was obviously Jun and Tony) , i see this loads. D: Actually any song with Jun and some one other than Johnny who's worked on it, I've seen Crush 40 credited.

It WAS on their old album wasn't it though? I think it was sort of considered a "bonus track" though. I mean it kind of makes sense though. C40 is a two-man act, and you do get occasional songs on albums with different vocalists or missing certain members (drummers on a single-instrument track for example).

Um the first time I ever heard of Dr. Robotnik, I thought that he was really a doctor who was turned into a robot, and his name was Nick. lol.

I heard that Shadow was actually Sonic's shadow. :huh:

Edited by Yeow95

People thinking Blaze is a queen.

And people thinking silver is shadows son.

This was a VERY brief misconception, but I did just remember that Sonic X sort of put the idea in my head that it "explained" how the old games were on Mobius and the newer games were on Earth.

As a result, when Heroes invoked the surreal designs of old, I thought that they would start varying up what games were set on Mobius and which were set on Earth.

Shortly after though I realised Shadow's involvements made this theory a bit too silly, and it was not long after that I fully worked out, confirmed, and very easily accepted that the games had always been set on earth, just some had a more surreal/futuristic artstyle than others.

Sonic Jam? A game that was literally the first 4 games with a fancy menu system?

I don't know what is worse: The image which is missing the point on purpose and derails its own joke by messing up the punchline, or the 40,000 rep that the post will get for having the image in it because people don't understand the problems with it.

Edited by Tornado

I don't understand how people try to soften the criticisms against the modern games by attempting to put the originals on the same level as them... especially when they're not actually citing the classics themselves in their argument.

I don't understand how people try to soften the criticisms against the modern games by attempting to put the originals on the same level as them... especially when they're not actually citing the classics themselves in their argument.

Maybe because people are sick and tired of how all these nostalgiafags act like the classic era was without any flaws whatsoever, when that clearly wasn't the case?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Maybe because people are sick and tired of how all these nostalgiafags act like the classic era was without any flaws whatsoever, when that clearly wasn't the case?

Doesn't excuse the fallacies, though. Here's why:

When people attempt to shoot down the notion that classic > modern, they often use the side games as examples, showing that the classic era wasn't as great as everyone says it is. Which is all fine and dandy, except that more often than not, these aren't the games people are referring to when they claim that classic > modern. It's also generally not a good idea to compare side games to main games, regardless of era. When you try to back that particular argument up with "we're sick of retrofags claiming that they're perfect," it really just boils down to a case of "look, I can criticize games for little reason other than to show the other side what's up, too!" Basically, it doesn't amount to much.

• Thumbs Up 4

Doesn't excuse the fallacies, though. Here's why:

When people attempt to shoot down the notion that classic > modern, they often use the side games as examples, showing that the classic era wasn't as great as everyone says it is. Which is all fine and dandy, except that more often than not, these aren't the games people are referring to when they claim that classic > modern. It's also generally not a good idea to compare side games to main games, regardless of era. When you try to back that particular argument up with "we're sick of retrofags claiming that they're perfect," it really just boils down to a case of "look, I can criticize games for little reason other than to show the other side what's up, too!" Basically, it doesn't amount to much.

Edited by Kintor