Awoo.

Release Dates and Release Editions Speculation

Blue Blood

So we have almost 2 confirmations?

Sonic Generations Special Edition for Spain at least and the game comes out November 1st?

Nov 1st is likely for America because it's a Tuesday (IIRC, they often have Tuesday releases) and the 4th is a Friday, which is the day when games are released in Europe. Plus they're as close to each other possible, so yeah, it seems very likely now. Not confirmed of course.

Nov 1st is likely for America because it's a Tuesday (IIRC, they often have Tuesday releases) and the 4th is a Friday, which is the day when games are released in Europe. Plus they're as close to each other possible, so yeah, it seems very likely now. Not confirmed of course.

Edited by frokenok3

Since I never pick up games in their release date, I've got a question:

Is this going to be a midnight launch just like the big guys, (Halo, Gears, CoD, etc.)or is it just going to be available by the evening or so?

Is this going to be a midnight launch just like the big guys, (Halo, Gears, CoD, etc.)or is it just going to be available by the evening or so?

Yeah, I figured. Sonic would never do midnight releases. xD

Even I doubt if Mario himself does that.

I'm very curious what the release date at the EU for Generations is.

Sonic Colors was released in the EU 4 days earlier.

It was:

AUS: November 11

EU: Nov. 12

North America: Nov. 16

JP: Nov. 18

However...

Unleashed was generally 18th November.

Huh, SEGA? Which form did you choose this time? :P

A lot of games still don't see Midnight Release, but the releases have gotten better. You're more than likely to be able to pick up the game on the release date rather than the day after now.

What? Special Edition... IN SPAIN!?

Will America see this? Either way, what's it got in there? Hell, I'll import it even if I CAN'T play it!

EDIT: Did some digging... wow man, so Classic Collection was like 60, this thing is TWICE AS MUCH!

Do.. Do you think we'll get a GOLD RING REPLICA!? That'd be awesome. Perhaps a special T-Shirt, and a Poster, Art Booklet, Figures (HOW ABOUT THE SPECIAL FUZZY ONE!? =D) and other cool shit!

Edited by Baking Blue Potatoe

What?

75€ for a game?.. I'd die if we got that prices over here. x_x

November 4th is a Friday. Pretty uncommon for Australia, isn't it?

Doesn't Nintendo release games on Fridays, in Australia?

Man, I keep seeing this game jumping around November release dates, but I can't help but wonder if the game won't do too well considering how many heavy hitters are coming out around that time. I love everything about Generations, but honestly it was really really hard to pick that over Skyrim.

I almost feel like coming out around mid-October would be better, so anyone on the fence could do an impulse buy and have some time to save up for things that might have been their first purchase otherwise. I don't want a Sonic '06 on our hands, I'm just genuinely concerned about the game. But hey, it'll probably do fine. :P

SEGA has a habit of picking terrible launch dates. I mean, there's so many other games releasing that month. Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and Rayman Origins to name a few.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

SEGA has a habit of picking terrible launch dates. I mean, there's so many other games releasing that month. Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and Rayman Origins to name a few.

What?

75€ for a game?.. I'd die if we got that prices over here. x_x

November 4th is a Friday. Pretty uncommon for Australia, isn't it?

Edited by MarcelloF

I don't get why people say SEGA shouldn't release a Sonic title in November :huh: It's a good time to release it for Christmas sales which parents will buy for children even if they are facing up to games like Saints Row the Third, Modern Warefare 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Battlefield 3, Halo CE Anniversary, Skyward Sword and so on. SEGA has released Sonic games during the build up to Chrismas judging from past release dates for previous games.

Release dates for previous Sonic games

Sonic 2 - November 24, 1992

Sonic & Knuckles - EU October 19, 1994

Sonic Adventure - EU October 14, 1999, JP December 23, 1998

SONIC (2006) November 24, 2006

Sonic Unleashed - November 28, 2008

Sonic 4 E1 - October 13, 2010

Sonic Colours - November 12, 2010

Sonic Rush - November 18, 2005

Shadow the Hedgehog - November 18, 2005

Sonic Rivals - December 1, 2006

Sonic Rivals 2 - December 7, 2007

Sonic Free Riders - November 10, 2010

M&S at the Olympic Games - Wii November 22, 2007

M&S at the Winter Olympic Games - Wii October 16, 2009

Sonic 3D Flickies Island - November 30, 1996

Edited by SHADDiX LeTO CRoFT

I don't see what's terrible about it. Sonic is very popular with children, and November is part of the holiday season. It's for Christmas sales.

It generally contends with potential amount of sales. Publishers press a certain amount of copies they expect to get profit on which is why launch sales are important to grasp the market's interest and plan ahead for the future. Releasing it November 4, if the rumors are true, is an extremely bold move, as that's only 1-3 days (depending on region) after Uncharted 3 is released. Skyrim follows a week and a half after that. Unless Sega kick starts a massive marketing campaign soon enough it'll drown beneath a plethora of more sought out titles. Sonic Colors did the exact same thing by being released around the time LittleBigPlanet 2 was supposed to come out, but they were lucky and it got delayed to January. The only significant titles it was up against was Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey, at least to my memory, and even then the former didn't see an European release until December.

The best option that Sega has is releasing it at the very end of November, much like Sonic Unleashed in Europe, or the beginning of December.

You know how long people have been waiting for a main title Sonic Game that doesn't suck?

That doesn't have alternate gameplay that doesn't cramp the main gameplay?

That people can actually mention without large amounts of hate being spewed from people's mouth?

A 3D game to finally come out where people can stop saying "Sonic Adventure 2 was the last good Sonic Game"?

A LLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG TTTTIIIIMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite all the hate we hear, its all just internet cancerous BS and while some of it is valid, really in the back of people minds, folks REALLY just want to see a good Sonic game for once. Perhaps I'm putting people in to much of a good light, but I truly believe they do, but until then people will be sheep until something comes along that gives them reason NOT too. (Colors somewhat did this, but it wasn't GRAND enough to shake the place up. It was simply a band-aid game and sadly is being treated like a fluke.)

A game that they can be actually be proud of owning in their library.

Who wouldn't want to own the game that is probably the biggest comeback to a franchise since Mega Man 9?

Nobody...

Remember that hate cancer that seems to be going around Sonic since about 2005ish? Well consider Colors the start of chemo, the HEAD turner, the fuse starter. On my pass time I go around the internet going on random forums and game sites to see how the gaming public has been reacting to Sonic's shift in quality recently and while its still a bit rocky, Colors did a lot more cancer killing than anyone hoped for. Every time I see "Sonic is dead" or "3D Sonic sucks" the next comment is always followed up by "but Sonic Colors was pretty good..."

Everyone is digging the game in some sort of way. Generations is a title that has so much going for it that is right that the only thing that would fuck up this game is glitches and/or Hori-Bad level design and I not being a blind fanboy here. It DOES have a lot going for it and little risk at all.

The game is entirely...safe! Safer than even Colors was, but this time...the game is so huge and has soooo much familiarity that more people are going to take notice and if this becomes "DA BEST SONIC GAME EVA" and scores highly it will sell sooo fast people will even forget Mario 3DS even exist.

We have Classic Sonic...which we haven't seen for ages and even though he mostly plays like Sonic 2 with a couple hints from Sonic3&K, It is more or less a much truer return to form that Sonic 4 will ever be and not only that, but Classic Sonic himself will light up the eyes of Gamers, Adults, Parents, Teens, Kids, Sonic Fans in general...hell maybe even the Japanese will actually give a shit this time.

And then you have Modern Sonic who despite all the hate still is still popular to some degree and from what it look like so far in Generations; has improved highly on Unleashed (a much liked Sonic Style believe it or not), bringing elements from Colors (pushes the idea even more), and to top it all off giving it a more Adventure feel. Now instead of people talking about Unleashed you here people saying..." Hmmm he plays like he does in Colors....and Colors was good right? *ding ding ding*

Even Jim Sterling's own fans bash him when he mentions anything bad about Colors and even worse when he praises Sonic 4 ( And even then people of the regular gaming public enjoyed the game. As a platformer in itself the game does a good job of it...I mean its 1 of the most downloadable games on all consoles and Sonic 4 sales like crazy on the i-phone. Who else own i-phones the most...kids? Phssss...) Plus we been getting article after article of Sonic praising (It is his 20th anniversary). Which mostly afterwards points toward SG in good light.

Then we have levels..now I understand that these levels could have used some more diversity, but we have super iconic, highly MEMORABLE stages that nearly everyone going to recognize at first glance and that people love. It even takes a bold move of adding an also equally memorable stage (in a bad way) Crisis City in 2006 and despite the massive hate that game gets...most people are going to answer that Crisis City was probably where most of the fun was at. You going to have everyone saying "How the fuck are they going to make this level from the shittiest game possible good?" and even if some people have a bad taste for it...

EVERYONE wondering....everyone is pondering on how the hell is SEGA going to handle this level...its causing nothing, but hype. There will be nothing, but explosion after explosion from the public after every level reveal. If City Escape isn't proof of this then your blind man...this game is the ultimate nostalgia ALL OVER YOUR FACE title...you can't get anymore nostalgic in Sonic than this game.

Sega should watch where they are putting this game at...that's is true. Marketing and knowing when to put your game down is always going to be important, but if this game is praised and truly becomes the Anti-Sonic 2006...there is no DOUBT it my mind that this shit won't sell like hot cakes.

More true question to ask...will it be on par with the sales of the Mario Galaxy Games? We shall see, but if it was any game that is going to do it...its this 1.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

More true question to ask...will it be on par with the sales of the Mario Galaxy Games? We shall see, but if it was any game that is going to do it...its this 1.

It won't. Mario is a worldwide super franchise that manages to carry the Wii's 80+ million user base. Sonic is a mascot character that houses his grand titles on consoles that most of his common user base can't or won't bat an eye on.

It won't. Mario is a worldwide super franchise that manages to carry the Wii's 80+ million user base. Sonic is a mascot character that houses his grand titles on consoles that most of his common user base can't or won't bat an eye on.

True True...but what he does have against Mario Galaxy is multi plat release (360 and PS3). If Sonic 2006 can sell decent any great Sonic game can or likely more.

Its going to be pretty interesting...I think a tad below Mario Galaxy 2 sales with combined sales is possible. To tell you the truth depending on the reception it can go either way.

Edited by Voyant