Awoo.

Sonic Playstation 2 Memory Card icons

Badnik Mechanic

I've been doing some filming on a new video I intend to upload about the Sony Pocketstation. During my filming I had a Playstation 2 running and when looking through some old memory cards I happened to come across my old save files for the various PS2 Sonic games that came out.

I've not seen people post these before and since the bulk of older members here were Gamecube owners, I figured some of you might like these.

For those who have never owned a PS2 before. When you save a file to a PS2 memory card and view it via the PS2's version of the dashboard, the data appears as a small icon, most of the time it's nothing special, however, occasionally however, some devs actually take the time to make them look a bit cool, sometimes theres movement to them and lots and lots of detail.

Well... I was quite suprised at how much detail there was on the Sonic icons.

Theres two photos for each model as these icons rotate on their own once you select them.

sonicthefighters.jpg

The above is from Sonic Gems Collection. Despite the pose being from Sonic the Fighters, this icon is actually from the settings menu of Gems Collection itself (at least I think thats what it was from), as you can see, the save file icon is Sonic in his fighting stance. Interestingly, despite the collection being made post modern Sonic era, the model is a very accurate classic Sonic.

When you actually make a save file when playing Sonic the Fighters, a new icon is created, it's of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on a white background, it's not a 3D model so much as it's their fighting stances on a background.

sonicthefighters2.jpg

Same as above from another angle

classicsonic.jpg

This is classic Sonic in his classic pose. As you can see it's a very accurate re-creation of classic Sonic. Can't remember which game this came from, it's either Gems or Mega Collection.

nikesonicsmile.jpg

Good lord... thats quite scary isn't it...

Despite this being Heroes era, it's actually the save file for Sonic R. Yeah how odd is that? It's modern Sonic, he looks a lot like he's just taken the magic mushrooms and is still on the high, he has the green eyes and the nike tick grin, but because the model is scaled down for the PS2 memory card system, it looks horrible.

sonicnikesmile2.jpg

The scary sonic from the other angle. Oddly though, this one doesn't look that bad... it's just that smile.

sonicmega2.jpg

Now this is more like it. This is the save icon which comes when you make a save state in any game from Sonic MegaCollection. It's of classic Sonic sat by a Mega Drive. The detail on this one is very high. Whilst Sonic is very accurately re-created, the Mega Drive itself is also quite detailed. You might just be able to make out buttons on the control pad, however from the other angle you'll see just how much detail it has.

sonicmega.jpg

Well now. As you can see, the MegaDrive is very accurately represented, whilst it's difficult to see, you can just make out the details that the MegaDrive has on it, also you can make out that the pad has the right number of buttons too. Also, Sonic is playing Sonic 1 on the system, I think it's the Japanese version.

Those are the only ones I could find.

However, potentially I could have a lot more as I have Shadows game which has a main save file and I think it also has an options file, there might also be more save files for Gems and Mega collection to.

Unfortunately, I don't own a PS2 copy of Sonic Heroes so I'm unable to take a picture of that one.

But I thought some of you might find these interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

First one's quills are too long---

But in all seriousness, that's pretty interesting! I didn't realize PS2 icons were that detailed.

Unfortunately, I don't own a PS2 copy of Sonic Heroes so I'm unable to take a picture of that one.
Edited by Tornado

As a PS2 owner I have seen most of the little icons for Sonic saves. The Sonic Heroes icon is just a logo of Sonic's face with the words Sonic, the Sonic Riders save is just the logo of the Sonic Riders title and the Ghost Saves are a logo of Sonic's head Riders style, the Shadow the hedgehog save icon is the Black Arms symbol though its kinda in 3D, my favourite though is the Sonic Unleashed save icon which is a 3D model of Chip sitting down holding a block of chocolate.

classicsonic.jpg

This is classic Sonic in his classic pose. As you can see it's a very accurate re-creation of classic Sonic. Can't remember which game this came from, it's either Gems or Mega Collection.

I do. Nothing of any particular value to be seen:

1004841f.th.jpg

Just a lazily cropped portrait of Sonic ripped straight from the title screen of the game.

My brother has a save of Unleashed and ShtH on his memory card (and I'm pretty sure he has one of Riders). Tomorrow morning when I'm finished with this GT5 endurance race I can slap his memory card in the Triple and take a picture them.

Edited by Tornado

wow, this kinda makes me wish I had a PS2 version. Classic polygon Sonic is adorable! :)

• 9 years later...
On 4/21/2011 at 9:48 PM, Badnik Mechanic said:

On 4/21/2011 at 9:48 PM, Badnik Mechanic said:

classicsonic.jpg

I Just Figured out what this classic Sonic in his classic pose save slot is! :D

Apparently it's from Mega Collection Plus, and the save state was named: "SONIC M.C. SETTING DATA"

On 4/21/2011 at 10:04 PM, Tornado said:

On 4/21/2011 at 10:04 PM, Tornado said:

I don't have a PS2 but I was able to find screenshots from a PS3 with PS2 Save files so... Did it look like this?

SH sav.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

Earlier today, I was looking for Sonic Riders Save files such as, the OG Riders, Ghost data, and Zero Gravity Saves as screen shots.

But the best I can find is this Zero Gravity Save icon I founded off of Tumblr.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1