Awoo.

Things you liked about Secret Rings

Chaosmaster8753

I did like the music and the level themes though in the game. But the controls were annoying as **** though (especially trying to walk backwards). Not to mention the target practice minigame in the multiplayer section. Shooting characters from crossbows into bullseyes was kinda fun.

I'm not gonna lie... I like S&tSR a lot actually! I've played and beaten every mission, it was the only console game I TRULY enjoyed after SA2, that is, until Sonic 4 Ep. 1...

It DID have some problems though... Going backwards was a pain, the voice acting was VERY cheesy, and the multilayer sucked, but everything else was surprisingly good...

Oh yeah, and PROPS for the music Sega! :D

Capturing butterflies in bubbles as Shadow in the mini games. :P Such an un-Shadow-like thing IMO. Ah yes, and shaking Treasure Boxes as the same character at the end of the mini-game. Classic.

Edited by Ray du welden älfa

I loved just about everything in that game except the controls. If it wasn't so hard to home attack what you wanted to, accelerate at a reasonable pace, get off the grinding rails and back track to collect missing items it'd be the greatest Sonic game of all time. The cinematics were stunning, levels and baddies where creative, plot was a little odd but held together well. Also Sonic Kicked ASS at the end of it. I just wish they had done a bit more with the finishing attacks. You basically see the same animation 3 times. It's a awesome animation with Sonic beating the snot out of Alf Layla wa-Layla but still, at least add a cool punch for very last strike or something. That aside I was like "heck yeah, kick is butt Sonic!" and proceeded the shake the wiimote so violently I thought my arms would fall off. Oh and guess that can be a bit of drawback as well. If you value the feeling in your arms it's near impossible to play the game for more than a few hours. Course I suppose it is healthy, you're getting a workout and taking a break from watching the tv is good for you. :P

• 3 years later...

Who exactly was behind the music in this game? The music is phenomenal. I know people like the style of Unleashed, Colors, and Lost World style of music but I was always of fan of the wackier styles used in Rush, Secret Rings, and Black Knight. Speaking of Black Knight, was that the last Crush 40 Sonic game? We haven't seen that band perform in a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked the music, the visuals, and the portrayal of Sonic. Honestly, Sonic and the Secret Rings is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me as I do like playing it. Also, these are probably my favorite tracks:

i've never played it.. but i've saw the cutscenes and some gameplays about it..

i like what they did on Sonic's interpretation.. such a charm  :D haha what a hero!

the human/ genie here.. Shahra... was totally suportive to the story... besides she had a personality.. and didn't stole Sonic's spotlight...

the other characters placed in Arabian Nights characters was so cool!

the music.. well  everybody loves it.. but.. i can say.. i love Sonic team choosed that kind of music.. so badass! aways putting you into a mood for kicking some ass :D

and.. other thing... the concept of the world Rings.. that probably comes form Knuckles chaotix's Chaos Rings .. i love that!

and i love they put some moral to this game... i hope other Sonic Storybook games like this one come someday..

i miss these games..

The music in Secret Rings is awesome and is probably the catchiest in the franchise. I really like the Arabic influences. The only song I don't like though is the main theme Seven Rings in Hand, not only because the song is played WAY too often, but the lyrics are super lame.

The other thing I like about the game is its story, in particular the characters in said story. Eraser Djinn was s lame villain but I really like Shahra and how Tails, Knuckles and Eggnan were Arabian Nights characters. It was cute.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who exactly was behind the music in this game? The music is phenomenal. I know people like the style of Unleashed, Colors, and Lost World style of music but I was always of fan of the wackier styles used in Rush, Secret Rings, and Black Knight. Speaking of Black Knight, was that the last Crush 40 Sonic game? We haven't seen that band perform in a while.

6e0f3e37822d0fad33baf5228002fd9b.png

Secret Rings was mostly Fumie Kumatani, other stuff she did was SA1, 2, Unleashed, ZG and Colours.

As for things I liked about Secret Rings? Mostly the entire game. Dinosaur Planet was a shit stage and Seven Rings in Hand is overplayed, but otherwise, I like it.

The game was beautiful, and I loved the art direction and even the in game character models. I loved the level ideas. And Sonic's personality was just spot on in the game.

I thought it was super fun, especially if you've got the patience to get Sonic to a higher level after you beat the game. I think it gets so much undeserved hate.

I never thought its controls were THAT bad.

The story and definietley the dynaminc between Sonic and Shahra even mid gameplay.

It was a fun sorts of banter and it helped you grow fond of her pretty quickly. I actually felt upset when she got killed in the end. The whole Darkspines transformation and the setup with the rage and ferocity of that character in combination with the way that he goes after Erazor Djin was a perfect and satisying way for the player to vent, tie up lose ends and get hands on in that situation. The fact that Sonic even followed through with that ferocity, albeit in a more docile manner, after he released the transformation was all the more fulfilling. Good on you Sonic Team.

I liked the Soundtrack. What? It's catchy! Tell me you never sang "THE WICKED WILD" for no reason.

Uh... I liked the party mode as a kid... Umm.. I enjoyed playing the game until I had to do missions that clashed with the wonky controls...Darkspine Sonic...

Yeah, I got nothing else.

Pretty much everything. Very pretty and unique (to the franchise at least) visuals, beautiful songs, decent story, and I know I have a very low standard for it, but I did genuinely enjoy the gameplay.

And I don't see anyone bringing up the Party Mode, that was very fun.

and.. other thing... the concept of the world Rings.. that probably comes form Knuckles chaotix's Chaos Rings .. i love that!

• 2 weeks later...

It can take me a long time to think through my posts sometimes.Slowpoke.gif

The locations are pretty nice to look at it, though the graphics have aged, the art behind it still holds up, I think it really outdoes Black Knight for it's more fanciful locations.

I do find an immersive quality in it's controls and camera angles, really helps give you a sense of the speed and often allows you to see things from Sonic's perspective when the camera is over Sonic's shoulder: that can really help give you a sense of scale as you can often see how the environment towers over Sonic. Too much focus on the spectacle of it was a part of what was wrong with the gameplay though.

I quite like the customisation but Sonic was much more nerfed in the beginning than he should have been.There's lots of stuff to choose from and it's all relevant in some way.

Sonic himself is something I LOVE about this game, adorable badass.

I think Sonic 06 tried moreso to establish Sonic as being caring by having him "pick up" Elise when she was down, the wooden-ness of everything really makes it fall flat though.

I see an obvious comparison to be made between Sonic 06 and SatSR here, Sonic's role towards Shahra takes a similar direction but I find it genuinely endearing. Dialogue is just more natural in general and Sonic and Shahra seem a lot more genuinely freindly.

I think Sonic is well-treated as sympathetic as well; is fearful of his curse on occasion and is pretty purturbed by Shahra's death.

That said Sonic has a good amount of genuine cockiness about him and the way he carries himself conveys an air confidence and determination.

Sonic adopts a "no shits given" tone toward enemies or people he dislikes which really cements him as badass in my eyes and his final actions towards Erazor are the epitome of that; Sonic literally acts like he owns the place, looks down on Erazor from the latter's own throne and mops the floor with him.

*Looks through topic. Finds own post*

I really do give SaTSR too much flak for it's portrayal of Sonic, the majority of the time when I think of SatSR I think "No way Sonic was way too tame and goofy, not cool."
But then I actually think about it, at least he's not a terrible ham 100% of the time like Sonic Heroes or ShadowTH, completely kissing the butt of the one-time character like in Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed (I still think he sucked up to Shahra,kinda), or making stupid jokes the entire time and making me want to tell him to 'shut up!' like in Sonic colours.

I liked the interaction between Sonic and Knuckles/Sinbad, Sonic starts of an argument by making a snarky comment and they butt heads and Tails/Ali Baba diffuses them, there should definitely be more interaction like this.

The environments were very pretty, especially Sand Oasis and Night Palace.

I found the fact that you were constantly moving and had to hold a button to make Sonic stop pretty awkward, but method of steering was interesting and new.

What the crap is that?

The music in secret rings was great.

In fact it was so great that the developer thought it was a good idea to force you to fucking listen to them 100 times in a row.

PARTY MODE.

And not just because I enjoyed making Sonic buy all sorts of fancy carpets in the World Bazaar map. It also somewhat quenched my thirst for my endless longing for Sonic Shuffle 2. I'm not kidding.

Also the music in this game is some of the best in the franchise. Unawakening Float from Night Palace is one of my favorite songs from any Sonic game. 

I'll jump on the music bandwagon and say that was one of my favorite parts of the game.  I love the vocal tracks by Runblebee and, yes, I'm even a fan of the insanely cheesy main theme song.  I love how the cut-scenes were handled art style-wise, something that was even improved upon in Black Knight.  As far as Navi characters are concerned, Shahra is probably one of my favorites of the series.  She never came across as grating to me as some others in the series have been.  And the boss battles are pretty good, too.

It's a real shame that the storybook series didn't last.  They didn't gain a lot of positive attention when they first were released, but looking back, they were actually some of the more fun Sonic games I've played over the last decade.