For me, the saddest moments are

Sniper Wolf's death

in MGS1,

Emma's death

in MGS2,

the ending of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Maria's death

in Gears of War 2, and

the bad ending in Disgaea 2 (since there are two endings to the game) where Adell kills Rozalin

. All of these moments made me cry because I'm so attached to the characters in these games.

EDIT: I'd also like to add

The Boss's death

in MGS3 and the ending in MGS4, but I didn't list them originally since I thought I listed too much MGS originally. But for me, the saddest moment of all time in any game is a tie between

Sniper Wolf's death in MGS1

and the ending in MGS4.

Edited by Emma Emmerich

In Fear 2,

Alma rapes Beckett.

Now you must be thinking how is that sad. Well for anyguy who thinks

being raped by a girl

is okay,this disproves that. It is not okay especially since

Alma is a fandisservice when she is running around naked chasing you and she is the last person you want to be raped by

. I still cry for Beckett. :(

Let's see, avoiding too many spoilers:

Zelda: Majora's Mask: Talking to most people on the final night before the moon crashes. Highlights include Cremia telling her little sister she's allowed to drink Chateau Romani Milk that night, and repeatedly avoiding the question when Romani asks why she's allowed to drink it (it's normally for adults only). Other highlights: The sword trainer in Clock Town repeatedly boasts he himself shall slice the moon in half and save the day... on the final night he has dissapeared from his shop... If you slash down the wall at the back of the shop you can find him cowering in a hidden room crying and yelling how he doesn't want to die. My final favourite would be if you do the Kafei and Anju quest and don't deliver the pendant of memories to Anju... Kafei returns to a completely empty room at the end of the three days.

BioShock: The first time I played,

the submarine exploding

shocked me to my very core. It was such a surprise and the music was so sad. Obviously it would later turn out

it was fake

but at the time

Atlus' rather convincing performance at being upset

was rather heartbreaking. Also the good ending makes me cry in a happy way. It's almost too heartwarming. Another favourite somewhat sad line is from Tennenbaum in her ruined apartment, again mainly due to the gorgeously sombre piano melody that plays at the time. "You would not believe me... but there was once a time when this place was all so beautiful..." Oh, finally, the sub-plot within recorded messages about "Marsha" becoming a little sister is pretty damn sad, especially when you find the final radio message in her parents' apartment along with a dead couple on a bed together, presumebly who committed suicide. Yet another equally depressing moment is an apartment near the end of the game with a mother, father and children all dead sitting together in a living room, and a bottle of poison on the table and empty glasses.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two: The ending. Holy crap was that perfectly done.

Super Mario Galaxy: While it was a totally optional side-thing, the fact that the storybook reveals that

Rosalina's mother died while she was away helping Luma

was pretty damn sad.

Super Paper Mario: Like Galaxy, the backstory was a little on the sad side.

Chibi-Robo: The story of Giga-Robo's fate is all pretty depressing, especially when the aliens come to visit him and have the simple heartbreaking line of "...Friend is dead?" or something similar.

I haven't played that many games with REALLY sad moments in. The first three are the main offenders. I'd love to play more games with sad stuff in, but alas all the most story-centric games tend to be the ones that interest me the least... RPGs and such.

• Thumbs Up 1

In SA2, after you beat the FinalHazard, Sonic and Shadow stop the space colony from falling and Shadow plummets to his death. :(

The most emotionally upset I’ve ever been on a videogame was while playing Ico. There’s a bit where you have to leave Yorda alone for quite a while as you go to operate a bridge. It’s the first time you leave her a few rooms behind and of course, shadow creatures attack. I got back a little late but thought I’d actually saved her from being pulled into a black hole. Turns out I was wrong and she was gone. I was devastated! Truly heartbroken. It was then I realised how much the game had gotten to me and I’ve looked back on it fondly ever since.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2's ending.

They just... Killed off Eli. Out of nowhere. It just shocked me that he death was so brutal and unexpected. Then Alyx starts crying over his body and Dog looks ashamed that he didn't get ther sooner, and you just SIT THERE and you can't DO anything.

I didn't CRY, but I teared up sure as hell. One of the saddest endings ever.

Oh, HL2:E2's ending was so out of the blue, yet executed so well.

I think SA2's ending made me cry. I can't remember though; I was rather young.

And

Johnson's death

in Halo 3 got to me. That guy is probably one of my favorite badasses, so that really got to me.

Roman's death

in GTAIV. In all honesty, I didn't feel so bad about him as I did for Niko trying to handle it.

Super Mario Galaxy: While it was a totally optional side-thing, the fact that the storybook reveals that

Rosalina's mother died while she was away helping Luma

was pretty damn sad.

Actually, I way I saw it,

That was Rosalina who went away to help the Luma, not her mother.

The final moments in MGS3,

right from where you pull the trigger and end up killing the boss yourself

and the whole final cutsceen where it talks about here, that was quite emotional.

The

death of Niko cousin in GTA4

(I know I can change it but I accidently saved after it)

Sgt. Forge sacrificing himself for the war

was also another one, I know you don't see it but it was still quite put across quite well.

And finaly (For now)

Chip from SU

. One of those few characters that were added that felt neccesary and was acctually alright.

MGS3 after you beat The Boss. It's way too sad.

SA2 when Shadow supposedly died.

And my saddest moment.. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. It's normal ending is really sad.

Laharl kills Lamington but after listening to Mid-Boss he finds out he killed Flonne and sacifices himself for Flonne.

But it seems to turn out good in the end.

The ending of MGS 4 when

the Big Boss(?) spends his last moments with Snake, most notably the part where Snake gives BB one last cigarette just before dieing. Also the revelation that Snake would also die soon was also quiet saddening.

SA2's ending can't get away with not being mentioned.

The final boss in MOTHER 3.

Also thinking of Porky's fate gives me the willies.

Also, Yume Nikki.

Edited by Lando The Bat

The ending of MGS 4 when

the Big Boss(?) spends his last moments with Snake, most notably the part where Snake gives BB one last cigarette just before dieing. Also the revelation that Snake would also die soon was also quiet saddening.

SA2's ending can't get away with not being mentioned.

Meh... yeah it can. ;) It didn't make me cry, though sad it's nothing I really thought over.

I guess in Gears 2 when

Dom kills his wife Maria after bugging the fuck out of you for half of the game looking for her.

it didn't make me cry I was like eh... ok back to slaughtering Locust.

I wasn't going to post anything here, but JezzMM Majoras Mask description reminded me how sad, disturbing, and disturbingly sad that game was...

*sniff* I need a Twinkie...

No mention of the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid? Perhaps not something to make you start bawling in tears,

but when the Baby Metroid saves Samus at the cost of its own life,

it is a pretty saddening moment.

For me the only deeply saddening moment in any game I can think of is in Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess when

Midna destroys the mirror of Twilight on her way home at the end of the game. She starts out annoying but turns into a truly likable character by the end of the game.

The Darkness:

Jenny's death and later Jackie's death.

Halo 3:

Johnson's death

Gears of War 2:

Carmine's death. Maria's as well.

Awww dangit Cyberblade. You reminded me of the only other time a Zelda game got to me. XD

I also remember nearly crying at something in Final Fantasy 9, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Excuse me while I go purchase FF 9, Twilight Princess, and a box of Twinkies.

Oh man, I remember the Baby Metroid now, Poor thing. It saved Samus's life twice. I always thought the idea of a "good" Metroid was great.

Wind Waker's ending was also sad,

when The King floods Hyrule, and Link starts floating up, and reaches for him, but can't grab hold, then The King just lowers his head.

It was so well orchistrated, and

when I saw that Link kept the boat (That dissapered in Phantom Hourglass. Why?) and it's lifeless eyes was just the final sting that he was dead and gone.

Just so sad. :(

Nearly all of Disgaea's bad endings were extremely depressing. I've yet to encounter another game that made me want to crawl into a corner and die as badly as this game did, should the player screw up somewhere along the storyline. It made watching the (very, very) good ending extremely worth it, even after repeated viewings.

The ending to Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is also the saddest thing ever. And, of course, nearly everything in AIR and Clannad.

Actually, I way I saw it,

That was Rosalina who went away to help the Luma, not her mother.

I know, I phrased it badly, lol. I meant

Rosalina's mum died while SHE (Rosalina) was away helping the Luma

Final Fantasy...whatever number it was-

When Aerith dies...:-(

And the ending to Sonic Rush had me pretty chocked up too.

Although for many it was a stupid scene thanks to the voice acting,

Iris' death in Megaman X4

really got to me. Similarly,

Megaman Zero 4's ending

was pretty sad, although the whole series was pretty dark, and I felt that it wouldn't end happily for everyone.

I consider it a personality flaw, but I don't really cry. Lots of stuff that has brought me close to tears though or made me emotional. * indicates most sad :(

- SA2, when Shadow died

- Sonic Battle, when Emerl died

- *Crisis Core, pretty much everything after the Nibelheim incident makes me feel really heavy and depressed. Then when Zack dies it's just so unjustified, because he'd done so much and tried so hard, and rather than making it all the way his story is cut short. That's probably the only thing that makes me feel sorry for Aerith too, because I don't really like her other than that.

- Final Fantasy IV,

when Palom and Porom "die"

- Kingdom Hearts II, after completing Roxas' part of the game, I just felt insanely sorry for him, especially because Roxas had almost no idea what was going on, and Sora was so ignorant about everything he went through in the end.

- Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates,

when Chelinka dies, this is mainly sad because Yuri just refuses to give up, he keeps on living all by himself

- *Persona 4,

when Nanako dies

. That part of the game has a real hopeless Crisis Core feel to it, although

Nanako being revived makes it far more bearable

- Star Ocean: Second Evolution

When Expel is destroyed and the Calnus is blown up, Ronyx was so awesome, it's not fair D:

- StarFox Assault, a bit OTT with the destruction, but it was all pretty sad,

especially Peppy

- *Chibi-Robo!, pretty much everything about Giga Robo, really heartbreaking :(

- ***But the winner has to be Sonic 2006, the whole game was just tragic. Maybe in a different way to the others though.

Wow I did quite a lot there. Couldn't help it though :P

Edited by SuperLink