Awoo.

Saddest moments in video games...

Crystal Kingfisher

And the ending to Sonic Rush had me pretty chocked up too.

Hmm, I never finished Sonic Rush, I could never beat the Night Carnival boss. I was able to finish the second Sonic Rush though since it was MUCH easier.

And I agree with everyone who mentioned the sad moments from MGS3 and 4, I wanted to list sad moments from MGS3 and 4 but I thought "I mentioned too much MGS already, so I'll just leave it at this". I also cried during

Naomi's death

in MGS4 as well as the game's ending.

So how about Wind Waker and

the King staying behind in the flood?

Wind Waker's ending was also sad,

when The King floods Hyrule, and Link starts floating up, and reaches for him, but can't grab hold, then The King just lowers his head.

It was so well orchistrated, and

when I saw that Link kept the boat (That dissapered in Phantom Hourglass. Why?) and it's lifeless eyes was just the final sting that he was dead and gone.

Just so sad. :(

Ahem.

But yesh, that is sad.

The Darkness:

Jenny's death

Oh god I remember that bit, that really shocked me when I got to that bit. After seeing that i really wanted to kill that f**ker Paulie.

The ending of Ocarina of Time.

I didn't actually cry, but it made me really sad that the game was over. It can't be over! *credits start rolling over*...

:(

; . ;

It's too old to be a spoiler, so I won't bother tagging it.

Eggman's death scenes from Shadow. Even though they were noncanon. Even though they were written in such a way to portray him as unsympathetic and clearly sided with Shadow for his inexplicable actions. I didn't care. I felt genuinely sick after seeing Eggman die by Shadow's hand.

This sadness soon subsided and turned into anger, causing me to severely distance myself from Sonic for quite some time- Recent developments- especially in Unleashed- (not to mention Iizuka's lack of any current or future involvement from now on) have gotten me to come back around to giving the series another chance... But I haven't forgotten Shadow, and a part of me still feels sad about it to this day. Sad that it happened. Sad that the writers approved it. Sad that it appealed to what I imagine is a large portion of the fanbase, who cheered the hedgehog on as he attacked a villain who was already established to have a good, sympathetic side... and not caring about those qualities at all as they watched him die.

Call it an overreaction, but I felt betrayed. I always thought that- because Eggman was presented in a sympathetic light- nothing horrible like that would ever happen to him. The fact that it did was jarring and made me feel bad. (I'm aware Sonic died in 2K6, but that was universally treated sympathetically, and there was no question that it was a bad thing. So it's not the same.)

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Oh boy... Guess I'll start with my Sonic list:

• Sonic 3 & Knuckles, just after knocking poor Knuckles down, the big drop, and then he gets electrocuted :( ... and then Sky Sanctuary where he's weak and stays on the button, and at the end of the stage it crumbles. When I first got that far, I thought Knuckles might have died.
  • Same with the Neo Geo Pocket Sonic game, after you fight Knuckles, he throws Sonic out of the crumbling building as he collapses. :(
  • Gamma's death in Sonic Adventure.
  • The scenes that depicted Tikal and the little Chao getting trampled in Sonic Adventure.
  • Shadow's supposed death at the end of SA2.
  • When you save Knuckles in Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic shouts at him, and he says "leave me alone!" and he looks like he's shielding himself with tears in his eyes. That really hit home with me...
  • Shadow's depressing "we are weapons" attitude towards Emerl, and of course,

Emerl's death

... the first part of the credits theme didn't help. One of Shadow's lines in particular, I think it was... "I promised Maria to bring hope to humanity... I can't stand it." made me really sad as well.

• Eggman's supposed "deaths" in Shadow's game. I never saw them as deaths, myself, but if they were supposed to imply Shadow killing Eggman... That's very depressing.
  • Sonic Rush's ending, and also how badly Knuckles was treated in that game.
  • When Blaze fades away and poofs in Next-Gen. Silver's desperation, in contrast to Blaze's calm acceptance, was heart-breaking.
  • Sonic's death, though it didn't really hit me until Amy burst into tears. It was all so sudden, and he pulled a funny face when he was collapsing... ._.
  • Secret Rings' ending.
  • Sonic Unleashed:

When Chip is sealed into the Earth... And then Sonic kind of re-enacts the beginning, and when he thinks he sees Chip but doesn't... and wears the bracelet... whaaa ;O;

• SatBK:

When Sonic is comforting Merlina, telling her that everything comes to an end. Even though it's not particularly sad, I just felt a whole bunch of emotions at that scene. It was very inspiring

• Other characters being mean to Knuckles! That makes me very, very sad! :(

I don't really play many games outside of Sonic, but here are the ones I can remember:

• Rolo to the Rescue has a good and bad ending. I only recently heard about this, and found out what the bad ending was... I was shocked:

"Congratulations. You escaped the circus and reunited with your mother. However, the fact that you didn't save all of the animals plays on your conscience, and you are never truly happy again."

I am so glad I never completed that game as a kid. ._.

• Disgaea:

When Flonne sacrifices herself, and Laharl cries and says something like "Flonne... is this the love you were talking about...? If this is love... I will never accept it again!" So... sad... And if he kills Remington and sacrifices himself to save Flonne...

• Pokémon, in Lavendar Town... just... knowing that Pokémon die was very sad, especially the girl who is mourning her Pokémon and gives you the attack "Return".
  • 3D Pets, when the pet reaches the end of it's lifespan, lays down and shrinks into nothingness ;_; Also, any tamagotchi or virtual pet game where they die... when you just go on one day and fine an angel or a gravestone. As a kid, I totally got depressed over it, and ended up hiding tamagotchis where I couldn't see them when it happened. Lol, I'm lame.

There's probably a lot more, but I can't think at the moment. This post is getting too long as it is, anyway. :lol:

I think I may be hypersensitive.

Completely forgot about Gamma, how could I! :(

^ If I were you I'd be upset with the way Knuckles has been treated in pretty much every game since SA2 ^ He doesn't get much respect, he's just "Sonic's friend", and the comedic relief character, which personally makes me upset.

Although for many it was a stupid scene thanks to the voice acting,

Iris' death in Megaman X4

really got to me. Similarly,

Megaman Zero 4's ending

was pretty sad, although the whole series was pretty dark, and I felt that it wouldn't end happily for everyone.

Yeah those moments in the

Megaman

games kinda choked me up(except for

Iris

it was too campy to be depressing). I think the darkest moment is the end of

X5

, even though they're robots it's still rather gruesome to see

X and zero

Let's see:

-Klonoa: Door to Phantomile- When

Klonoa's Grandpa dies

and pretty much the ending. The worst of it is that now just make me feel sad, but at the time I first played it with my brother those moments bursted me into tears.

-MGS4- The ending.

Remembering Big Boss as naked Snake from MGS3 makes the whole ending even sadder for me...

-Megaman Zero series-

When Zero dies. He was one of my favorite haracters in the whole megaman series

-Disgaea 3-

The "Human World Ending" (Also known as the Worst Ending of this game). Not only is bad that Mao ended up destroying Celstia, the Human World and the Netherworld, but I felt really sad because two of my favorite characters, Almaz and Beryl, dies. Beryl's death is specially sad D:

-Super Paper Mario-The backstory. I still think SPM has one of the most beautiful stories in a mario game ever.

-Disgaea 2-

when you kill the Masked man and the Masked Woman. In a beggining you just look them as bad guys just to find out that they alwasy were Adell's Real parents and that they never wanted to abandon him....and the worst of that is that the player gets to learn this but Adell dosen't.

Eggman's death scenes from Shadow. Even though they were noncanon. Even though they were written in such a way to portray him as unsympathetic and clearly sided with Shadow for his inexplicable actions. I didn't care. I felt genuinely sick after seeing Eggman die by Shadow's hand.

This sadness soon subsided and turned into anger, causing me to severely distance myself from Sonic for quite some time- Recent developments- especially in Unleashed- (not to mention Iizuka's lack of any current or future involvement from now on) have gotten me to come back around to giving the series another chance... But I haven't forgotten Shadow, and a part of me still feels sad about it to this day. Sad that it happened. Sad that the writers approved it. Sad that it appealed to what I imagine is a large portion of the fanbase, who cheered the hedgehog on as he attacked a villain who was already established to have a good, sympathetic side... and not caring about those qualities at all as they watched him die.

Call it an overreaction, but I felt betrayed. I always thought that- because Eggman was presented in a sympathetic light- nothing horrible like that would ever happen to him. The fact that it did was jarring and made me feel bad. (I'm aware Sonic died in 2K6, but that was universally treated sympathetically, and there was no question that it was a bad thing. So it's not the same.)

Anyone who would have been cheering Shadow on would be a bit mixed up in the head, any way you look at it, it's an inappropriate use of force, but it kind of makes sense for Shadow's character because those are the neutral/evil endings, iirc.

About MGS4 -

I though it was sad until I realized how inconsiderate Big Boss was being to whoever went to the trouble of reassembling him. You don't just go, "Oh I think I'll flawlessly restore the function and appearance of this guy", no there would be a staggering amount of work in an operation like that, and Big Boss knew he was going to die if he met Snake.

Legend of Dragoon -

Lavits's death. It came from nowhere without seeming like an ass pull and took the most seemingly indestructible character in my party. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the entire rest of the story was really depressing, it's just one instance of the characters being unable to do anything about the villains after another. You just seem ineffectual from that point onward, and I was never able to beat the final boss, so this game has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Still, it was the only time I can think of where I was ever genuinely angry at a character for what they did.

Super Mario Galaxy -

The story book

What about the ending in FFX When

Tidus dissapears after you kill Sin

It was very sad...well for me it was.

And MGS4, the ending was one of the saddest i have ever seen.

and SA2 of course.

Edited by MetallicWrath

Definetly & the end of Sonic X when Cosmo dies/they has to kill Cosmo to save the world is epically sad...

(Tails cries thru this...)

"But I can't. What about Cosmo?" - Tails

"She knows what she's doing. Cosmo is carrying out her destiny. She was ment to save the galaxy & we have to help her." - Eggman

"But your my friend Cosmo. I'm sorry I just can't do it." - Tails

"Trust me Tails. You have to fire. It's the only way to save all of us." - Tails

"[Ahhh... (in tears - softly] I trust you. But you mean alot to me. I don't wanna loose you Cosmo." - Tails

"You won't Tails. You'll defeat the Metarex & spread the seeds of my plant through the galaxy." Cosmo

"[Clearly in emotional pain] I believe you Cosmo. Your friendship has meant alot to me. I wish we could spend alot more time together... but I understand this is your only hope to save the galaxy & bring your clan back. I'm sure your seeds will find a place to grow & build a new home. Good luck Cosmo... and Goodbye!" - Tails

"Thank you Tails! I'll never forget you." - Cosmo

Okay now I have been brang to tears. Oh god here comes the last episode (78). & yeah everyone else is crying thru this... especially Amy & double especially Cream:

"COSMO!" - Tails

More crying from everyone

"Thank you all for your friendship. Before I met you I didn't believe in myself. My clan was wiped out by the Metarex. I felt like I was helpless & couldn't do anything to stop them. But because of you I found that I didn't have to stand by & watch the Metarex take over. I could do my part to fight back & help restore my clan. I just wanted you to know that I'm happy now becuase I fullfilled my destiny. Remember I will always be with you. Don't be sad Tails." - Cosmo

"Uh... hu... " - Tails with a smils as he looks up to see Cosmo's ghost.

"Whenever you miss me just look for me right here beside you." - Cosmo

She walks over to him and they epically do a quick kiss.

"The seeds of my clan will spread thru the galaxy & find places to grow. I'm in peace. Now... goodbye." - Cosmo

Later on...

"Sonic?" - Tails

"Uhhh.... Sonic..." - Tails (Sonic walks over to him like he's mad.)

"I know your mad @ me but I..." - Tails

"Here Tails. Sorry. I looked for Cosmo but this is all I found." - Sonic

"A seed!?!" - Tails. He starts crying and then walks up in sadness to Sonic.

"Oh Sonic. Why did this have to happen? It's just not fair! Now I'll never see her again! She was... she was my friend! I miss her! She can't be gone!" - Tails

Okay now I am crying LOL but now the interesting part:

Cosmo talks to Sonic who is half asleep saying her & her mother found a new place with peace and there 1 w/ nature. So are they like in Heavan? I really don't know what she meant by that. Isn't she dead? Plants can be confusing LOL! :)

"Tell Tails to look to the Tree's & the sky. That is where I will be."

And then the rest is pretty cool to.

Sorry I wanted you time will all that but it is just so epic!...ly sad :(

^ Good lord, you cried at that and you were quoting the dub's script! You would have been devastated by the original script. They sugar-coat it tons more in the 4kids dub, lol.

THe original was so much more emotional, I really felt for Tails. I can't actuallly express how saddend I was by it.

I teared up a but in Lost Odyssey,

where Lirum (Kaim's daughter) is found alive after a suicide attempt (under the persuasion of Gongora) then soon dies infront of Kaim and his grandchildren. Plus it's also the first time Kaim has shown any emotion in the game.

Some of the dreams can have the same effect on you too, since they're incredibly well written.

Yeah its not a video game and yeah the oringal is pretty worse to. I just felt like being American today LOL! :)

Actually, I don't think Shadow actually killed Eggman. First of all, karate chops to the head hurt, but they're rarely fatal. In fact, Eggman said "Nooooo" AFTER he was hit. Secondly, that level is most likely canon. Otherwise, Eggman wouldn't have revealed the truth about him during the final boss fight.

Also, I don't think anyone actually cheered Shadow for that. In fact, I think the incident was actually good for Eggman's character because as the scenes dictate, they portray Shadow and Omega as villains, thus making Eggman seem like more of a good guy.

Actually, I don't think Shadow actually killed Eggman. First of all, karate chops to the head hurt, but they're rarely fatal. In fact, Eggman said "Nooooo" AFTER he was hit. Secondly, that level is most likely canon. Otherwise, Eggman wouldn't have revealed the truth about him during the final boss fight.

Also, I don't think anyone actually cheered Shadow for that. In fact, I think the incident was actually good for Eggman's character because as the scenes dictate, they portray Shadow and Omega as villains, thus making Eggman seem like more of a good guy.

Shadow shouts "Goodbye, Doctor!" as he delivers the blow though. "Goodbye" isn't typically something you shout to someone you only plan to knock out or inflict minor injury to, y'know? Shadow, jut prior, threatening to send Eggman to hell in one of the endings also points to death.

One of the endings also heavily implies Omega's locked on and about to shoot Eggman as well. As much as I'd like to convince myself that it wasn't death, these aspects make it very hard to do that.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I think perhaps the only time a vidya game's got me sad is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't remember the specifics as it was many, many years ago, but there's a scene in the Kokori Forest where Saria's talking to Young Link on a bridge just before he runs off and (for her, at least) vanishes for 7+ years or whatever it is.

I saw that scene at a friend's house, and that one bit made me give up my Console Warrior "I will never buy a Nintendo console" vows, and instead pester my parents incessently for an N64 for Christmas just so I could play the game myself.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

I think perhaps the only time a vidya game's got me sad is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't remember the specifics as it was many, many years ago, but there's a scene in the Kokori Forest where Saria's talking to Young Link on a bridge just before he runs off and (for her, at least) vanishes for 7+ years or whatever it is.

While I agree it was a moving scene, the two do see each other again during Link's childhood. You can optionally visit her in her house immediately afterward, but you're actually required to find her again in the Secret Forest Meadow to learn Saria's Song, which among other things, becomes a direct line to Saria for her thoughts and advice on things.

Still, I agree it was a very emotional scene, again.

Shadow shouts "Goodbye, Doctor!" as he delivers the blow though. "Goodbye" isn't typically something you shout to someone you only plan to knock out or inflict minor injury to, y'know? Shadow, jut prior, threatening to send Eggman to hell in one of the endings also points to death.

One of the endings also heavily implies Omega's locked on and about to shoot Eggman as well. As much as I'd like to convince myself that it wasn't death, these aspects make it very hard to do that.

Even if it was their intent to kill Eggman, I still don't think that they actually did. Hell, Eggy's a smart guy- maybe he just played dead after the hit until they left.

While I agree it was a moving scene, the two do see each other again during Link's childhood. You can optionally visit her in her house immediately afterward, but you're actually required to find her again in the Secret Forest Meadow to learn Saria's Song, which among other things, becomes a direct line to Saria for her thoughts and advice on things.

The years, they dull the memory, y'see.

Well, either way, she is not happy to see him go. *sniff*

OK, I didn't really cry to any of the following things that I'm about to mention. However, they did make me get emotional and sympathetic. Now, here goes:

* The background music of the Main Menu in Wolfenstein 3-D. I mean, just click here and listen to it for yourself. Doesn't it give you a feeling of loneliness and hopelessness? As if you really are lost in some hazardous environment far away from the comfort and warmth of your own home?

It sure makes me feel that way.

* The background music of Episode1-Level8 in DOOM 1. I mean, just click here and listen to it for yourself. Doesn't it make you feel sad as if you couldn't save someone you cared about from certain death? As if you're stuck in a hopeless situation?

It sure makes me feel that way.

* The ending of Episode3 in DOOM 1. Basically, the spacemarine returns to the green fields of Earth from the fiery bowels of Hell. However, something is not right... At the horizon he can see a huge city burning up in flames with lots of smoke. And he also finds a severed bloody head of a rabbit impaled on a stick. :o

Just click here and listen to the background music of this scene to get a more vivid impression.

* The intermission texts between several levels of DOOM 2. Mainly because of this music that always plays in their background. And also because some of those intermission texts were very depressing from their content. I mean, there was one which actually read: "You are the only human left on the face of the planet. Carnivorous mutations are your only neighbours now. Slowly and painfully you get up and return to the fray.".

I mean, could it possibly sound any more melancholy than it already does?

Just click here and listen to the background music of this scene to get a more vivid impression.

* In Duke Nukem 3D I've always wanted to rescue those naked women who were trapped inside the green pods/coccoons. But no matter what buttons I presssed as I walked up to those sprites, I could never set them free. They just kept moaning and begging me to kill them.

That was just not fair. I felt extremely disappointed by that. :( :(

* In the adventure game Space Quest 5, when Beatrice Wankmeister (the future wife of the playable character) became infected by the mutagenous substance of the pukoid mutants. She needed to be frozen inside a cryo chamber in order to slow down the creepy mutation. Thus giving enough time for the playable character to find a cure.

Really, it was sad. :(

I wished that she never got infected and that the playable character could just flirt with her throughout the entire game. But unfortunately, the game's storywriters had other ideas.

the ending to Sonic Rush had me pretty chocked up

Well, at least you were fortunate enough to beat the whole game and actually know what the ending is. I got stuck on the Final Boss with both Blaze and Sonic. :P

Edited by DarkJedi188