Awoo.

Saddest moments in video games...

Crystal Kingfisher

I pologize for the massive bump, but i thought that this was a better solution than opening a new thread.

I have found one "moment" that came out in its entirety only recently: i'm talking about the plot (and especially the ending) of the 2 episodes of BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea.

Warning: these spoilers are tied to the entire BioShock series, not just Infinite.

So, Episode 1 starts with Booker de Witt in his office, when suddenly he recieves a visit from Elizabeth (wich has a different look) and we quickly discover that Booker's office is set not in the USA, but in Rapture. That means, this is an alternate version of Booker we are playing with (for convenience, let's call it Ultimate Booker) and most likely is Elizabeth (we will call her Ultimate Elizabeth... for now). Ultimate Elizabeth asks to Ultimate Booker to find a girl named Sally, who basically has become a little siste (and after all, Booker

is a secret agent, so one should expect some detective work). Long story short, they find her but they can't manage to reach her, to a point where they need to raise the temperature of the tubes in order to let her come out.
Problem is, when Ultimate Booker grabs Sally, he starts having flashbacks on when he was Father Comstock and tried to kidnap Booker's daughter; only this time, instead of one finger, the thing that was stuck between the closing portal was the baby's head... yeah.
And right after that, Ultimate Booker realize that he escaped Columbia in order to atone his sins, refuging himself in Rapture; but, suprise surprise, Ultimate Elizabeth becomes grim all of a sudden, basically implying  she is the Elizabeth we all know (the "original") and along with the Lutece twins has tried to hunt down every single incarnation of Comstock in all dimensions ever since she drowned Booker in the ending of BioShock Infinite.
And then Ultimate Booker is impaled from the back by a Big Daddy's drill. How charming.

And that was just Episode 1: trust me, it gets worse.

Episode 2 starts in the worst way you can imagine: Elizabeth is in Paris, but something's different. It's more the Paris she always wanted to visit, complete with stereotyped people (baguettes, cheese, you know the drill) and with everyone including birds singing "La Vie en Rose" of Edith Piaf. Because there were not enough Internet theories that said that Elizabeth is a freacking Disney princess.

We quickly discover though that Elizabeth is still in Rapture, and oh joy, she has been captured by our favourite irish bastard, Frederic "Atlus" Fontaine: just that should warn you something will go terribly wrong.

Basically, Fontaine has also captured Sally and since Ultimate Booker is dead (we even see he is really old, reflecting the twist of the previous episode) Elizabeth must fulfill some mission in order to be free along with the Little Sister: we all know it's not gonna happen, but of course we move on.

The rest of the episode is kinda a giant resolution of some of the plot holes of Infinite (how Fink created the Vigors, why Elizabeth killed Daisy Fitzroy etc.), but most important, Elizabeth discovers she technically shouldn't be there: basically, after Ultimate Booker's death, she concluded he was the last Comstock to hunt and she retired to the fairy Paris we saw earlier. Problem is, she didn't managed to save Sally, and this haunted her to death, to a point she sacrificed her time/space/dimension-travelling powers in order to go back and fix the thing (all of this, of course, supervisionized by the Lutece twins).

Sadly, towards the end, it goes all wrong in an agonizing way. Elizabeth is in order:

-captured by Andrew Ryan;

-captured again by Fontaine;

-pretty much raped in the eye by Fontaine and almost lobotomized;

-sent on a suicide mission without weapons or Plasmids in order to retrieve "the Ace" for Fontaine

Despite all this, Elizabeth manages to find what she's looking for ("the Ace", a genetic map and the activation word of Jack, the protagonist of the first BioShock), but she already knows that at this point, Fontaine will not let her go. Still, she goes to him and gives him the code (even telling him what to say -"Would you kindly-?"-) because she has seen that Jack will free all the Little Sisters including Sally.

And of course, Fontaine hits her with a wrench multiple times and leave her behind.

And so, after all of this and seeing a brief image of Jack recieving the kids (also implying he has inherited some of her powers) Elizabeth dies with her eyes wide open, stenched in blood and with Sally that holds her finger while singing "La Vie en Rose", song that accompanies the end credits.

If you are a BioShock fan, this whole thing will destroy you for how it's depressing (even for BioShock standards). A bitter end to the carrer of Irrational Games.

It was really sad for me to discover that the only way to beat the 4th level of Star Wars: Jedi Outcast was to allow the lightsaber-wielding reptilian asshat named Dessan to defeat and humiliate Kyle Katarn in combat and then to watch Jan Ors get murdered while she was held as a defenceless hostage.

That was really sad. I was expecting to see plenty more cutscenes featuring that woman pilot, but she's gone as the game barely even began.

The title screen of Sonic 06. I think you all know why....

The ending of Halo Reach, where Noble Six stays behind on Reach and gets killed. In fact, all of the Spartan deaths were sad.

The first time I saw Eggman "saving" Sonic from falling in Sonic Lost World. Also from the same game, that cutscene where Sonic is alone.

These aren't really the saddest for me, but they're still quite sad.