Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

Complete and utter rubbish.

You do not give that information at all. I've had to make loads of PSN accounts in my goal to get Singstar Platinum (laugh all you like it's consider one of the if not the hardest platinum trophy to get). Never once did it ask for CC info when making a PSN account, and believe me I had to make a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never ever had to give out such details.

Its like people are trying to find a way to screw Sony.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, I wouldn't really call BS on that Destructiod article. I actually do remember entering that data while entering my credit card data on the PSN, and when Sony said that they never asked for it I thought that maybe I was just remembering wrong. However, according to this, I apparently wasn't. Also, how could this possibly be BS? The picture is right on the official Sony site. Why would they post a fake picture on their own site?

You do not give that information at all. I've had to make loads of PSN accounts in my goal to get Singstar Platinum (laugh all you like it's consider one of the if not the hardest platinum trophy to get). Never once did it ask for CC info when making a PSN account, and believe me I had to make a lot.

Well obviously you don't give the credit card info right when you make the account. However, when you do actually do enter your credit card info to make purchases, it seems you do have to enter the card security code.

---

Since Sony is so adamant in saying that our credit card info is probably not at risk, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and expect some sort of clarifying answer from Sony. I mean, surly they're not foolish enough to lie about something this obvious and then get expect away scratch-free, right?

If they shut up about this after being asked though, I'm going to assume that they were lying to cover their asses and hoped that somehow people would blindly believe them and never bother to check for themselves. I would also question whether they were telling the truth about the encryption thing. I mean, if you lie about one, might as well lie about the other as well to trick your consumers into thinking that you're extra awesome.

But like I said, I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt and I REALLY hope they're not lying here.

Eh, I wouldn't really call BS on that Destructiod article. I actually do remember entering that data while entering my credit card data on the PSN, and when Sony said that they never asked for it I thought that maybe I was just remembering wrong. However, according to this, I apparently wasn't. Also, how could this possibly be BS? The picture is right on the official Sony site. Why would they post a fake picture on their own site?

Well obviously you don't give the credit card info right when you make the account. However, when you do actually do enter your credit card info to make purchases, it seems you do have to enter the card security code.

---

Since Sony is so adamant in saying that our credit card info is probably not at risk, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and expect some sort of clarifying answer from Sony. I mean, surly they're not foolish enough to lie about something this obvious and then get expect away scratch-free, right?

If they shut up about this after being asked though, I'm going to assume that they were lying to cover their asses and hoped that somehow people would blindly believe them and never bother to check for themselves. I would also question whether they were telling the truth about the encryption thing. I mean, if you lie about one, might as well lie about the other as well to trick your consumers into thinking that you're extra awesome.

But like I said, I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt and I REALLY hope they're not lying here.

Well Shadz just said he never gave out any such info when he bought anything frm PSN via PS3 or PSP

Well, I don't know what to say with that screen on their website, but I really don't remember putting my debit card's security code in, and Hogfather says he never had to with the multiple accounts he made. Maybe when they first brought out the PS3 you had to or something? I think it was late 2007 when I got my 60GB console, when they discontinued that model and reduced it from £425 to £350.

Destructoids article says that you have to enter those details to access the PSN, not once have I ever had to do that. With regards to buying stuff, I've never done it, I'm sure of it.

Certain card companies require that you don't save the security code anyway, so I don't know if it actually matters. VISA is one such company that forbids online stores from storing security code data.

Plus a lot of banks demand you to log into their internal system in some fashion in order for you dally about with your money elsewhere online where the hackers might try to use your funds.

I think it's really good to be wary and secure at the moment, better safe than sorry, but I don't think the hackers will have much widespread success using what card data they might have stolen simply because of all the additional security measures.

I think the best course of action right is to keep an eye on those bank statements. It doesn't hurt to be safe, but hysteria isn't going to help anything.

Well Shadz just said he never gave out any such info when he bought anything frm PSN via PS3 or PSP

Ok? Not calling Shadz a liar or anything, but he could simply be remembering wrong. I personally remember having to enter my card's security code, and the official picture seems to back that up.

Well, I don't know what to say with that screen on their website, but I really don't remember putting my debit card's security code in, and Hogfather says he never had to with the multiple accounts he made. Maybe when they first brought out the PS3 you had to or something? I think it was late 2007 when I got my 60GB console, when they discontinued that model and reduced it from £425 to £350.

For reference, I got my [80 GB] system in November 2007, signed up for the PSN in May 2008, and entered my card info in August 2008.

Destructoids article says that you have to enter those details to access the PSN, not once have I ever had to do that. With regards to buying stuff, I've never done it, I'm sure of it.

Well, yes, that part of the article is BS. However, that small detail isn't point of the article; the point is that Sony might be lying (or there might simply be a misunderstanding) about storing our security code.

They're not lying about storing the security code because they fucking CAN'T store your security code, all major card providers DON'T ALLOW IT. They were lying or misspoke when they said they never asked for it, but it doesn't make a difference because the security codes weren't stored on their servers regardless.

Ok? Not calling Shadz a liar or anything, but he could simply be remembering wrong. I personally remember having to enter my card's security code, and the official picture seems to back that up.

For reference, I got my [80 GB] system in November 2007, signed up for the PSN in May 2008, and entered my card info in August 2008.

Well, yes, that part of the article is BS. However, that small detail isn't point of the article; the point is that Sony might be lying (or there might simply be a misunderstanding) about storing our security code.

You entered your card number to buy something, right? I recently started buying stuff off a PSN and I never had to enter any credit card info. I bought PSN cards. They already said that credit card info is encrypted and wasn't obtained so yeah.

Well, my memory's not the best, so I could be remembering incorrectly. I agree with everyone else that they can't store your security code though, since no bank company allows it.

They're not lying about storing the security code because they fucking CAN'T store your security code, all major card providers DON'T ALLOW IT. They were lying or misspoke when they said they never asked for it, but it doesn't make a difference because the security codes weren't stored on their servers regardless.

Well that's good to know, but no need to get your panties in a bunch over it. I missed your other post that you made while I was typing my other reply. =P

I apologize, but I'm just getting sick of the misinformation and hysteria that this whole fiasco has brought about. It's still serious, for sure, but it's not the end of the world. They don't have the credit info, but they could potentially do some nasty things with the unencrypted personal info that they did take.

Sony corrects themselves on the error.

As our friends at Destructoid pointed out, I was incorrect on the last point of the credit card question above. I want to make an important distinction: While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database. It is transmitted to our payment processors for verification purposes only. Deep apologies for the confusion.

You enter it like the first time you ever buy anything on there, I would assume to verify that the card is real. Then they never ask for it again, but they don't store it either.

Yes, they ask for it to verify. It isn't stored tho'.

Each time you enter it, going back to the credit card information settings on the PS3 will show the number as blank.

Homeland Security is on this now along with the FBI, Federal Trade Commission and the 22 state attorneys general. In case anyone needs to know, Homeland Security is a cabinet of the U.S Fed. Gov't that was created to response of the September 11 (9/11) attacks. It's primary function is to protect the citizens from terrorist attacks and responding to natural disaster created by the Bush Jr. Administration. I know this issue is serious but this is some elite shit if you ask me.

http://apps.facebook.com/upitone/?controller=news&op=view-news&news_id=78535

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has joined the FBI, Federal Trade Commission and 22 state attorneys general in investigating last week's PlayStation Network breach. That "malicious intrusion" into Sony's online network and its Qriocity service forced PlayStation owners offline and threatened the security of some 77 million accounts.

Homeland Security says it is "aware of the recent cyber intrusion" to Sony's online infrastructure, according to a report from NextGov. DHS spokesman Chris Ortman tells the site that the department's "Computer Emergency Readiness Team is working with law enforcement, international partners and Sony to assess the situation."

Yesterday, the FBI confirmed to Kotaku it is "presently reviewing the available information in an effort to determine the facts and circumstances concerning this alleged criminal activity."

Personal data culled from the exposure of millions of PlayStation Network and Qriocity accounts may expose external accounts, including those of government, business and financial institutions. Sony warned its customers this week to be wary of telephone and e-mail scams that may exploit personal details stolen from PSN.

Sony said in a statement earlier this week that it believes user information including names, addresses, birth dates, email addresses, login names and passwords may have been exposed, as that data was not encrypted on the company's PlayStation Network. The PlayStation maker says stored credit card data was encrypted, stressing that "there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken," though it could not rule out the possibility.

For PlayStation 3 owners, the one bright light in this ordeal was that Friends Lists and PlayStation Trophies are expected to remain intact when the service returns, likely sometime next week.

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Homeland Security is on this now along with the FBI, Federal Trade Commission and the 22 state attorneys general. In case anyone needs to know, Homeland Security is a cabinet of the U.S Fed. Gov't that was created to response of the September 11 (9/11) attacks. It's primary function is to protect the citizens from terrorist attacks and responding to natural disaster created by the Bush Jr. Administration. I know this issue is serious but this is some elite shit if you ask me.

http://apps.facebook...s&news_id=78535

Oh shit, whoever did this and gets caught...they're ass'd out for life :o

So Sony are going hold a press conference tomorrow about the PSN Hack

Sony’s confirmed that Sony Corp’s Kaz Hirai is to hold a press conference in Japan tomorrow to address last week’s PSN hacking crisis.

Hirai will speak at 2.00pm Japanese time (9.00pm PST, 12.00am EST, 5.00am BST, 6.00am CET) about the breach, as well as the firm’s information management system and the schedule to resume services.

PSN was hacked last week and taken offline completely as a result. Sony has since confirmed that user data was compromised, and that it can’t rule out the possibility that credit card details were stolen.

The news has rocked the gaming world, and has been reported widely in the mainstream press as one of the largest ever online security failures.

PSN is expected to be back online next week.

• Thumbs Up 2