Awoo.

If it were up to you, what color would you have the eyes of the characters?

Harvest_Jam ♥

Don't say "black", because that's just a cartoon style. Most cartoon characters don't seriously have black eyes.

I know Archie had Sonic with brown eyes in the Saturn period, and occasionally Tails with blue eyes. Amy had purple eyes during the early Adventure comics, for whatever reason.

In Fleetway's comics they'd randomly put coloring for the eyes in some issues, but it was never consistent; brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes.. They eventually settled on blue for Knuckles, green for Sonic (eventually retconned into his natural color according to rerun covers), blue for Porker and Johnny, and brown for everyone else except Chaotix (who had black still).

I'm fine with everyone's eye colors, though I do think Amy looks better with brown eyes honestly. Why green? Because she's a hedgehog, or is it a coincidence? To make a parallel?

Why green? Because she's a hedgehog, or is it a coincidence? To make a parallel?

I never really put much thought into Amy’s eye color.

Still, when we look at characters like Jet, it’s pretty obvious that his eye/skin tone is simply a flip of the one found on Sonic. Most likely a subtle reminder of the relationship between the two characters (kind of built from the same mold). Sega is usually pretty transparent with their color schemes, so it’s certainly possible that every facet of the design has some meaning.

Sonic Team has always played with colors (no not the game :lol:). We need look no farther than Tails for proof of that.

Looking back, Tails was probably made to be Orange due to its position across from blue on the color wheel. Orange is the “complementary” color to Blue, so it is a natural choice for a sidekick that was sporting areal prowess opposed to the blue blur’s footspeed. Opposite, but still on the same side.

Fastforward to Heroes, and we see Tails shifted to a more Yellowish hue. That is no doubt a nod to the primary color scheme to be found in the triple threat. R/B/Y.

ST usually does pay close attention to the colors of each one of their characters. It wouldn’t surprise me if their eyes had a story to tell too.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Oh god, I don't even fucking care. Green, black, orange, zebra stripe, I don't fucking care, I've never cared, no one should care.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Bad Quality Post 3

no one should care.

Why not? Eyes are an important part of a design, plus this is just fluff based talking.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah yes, colour wheels. Seemingly half the logic to both team Sonic and team Chaotix.

colour+wheel.gif

It's great. Sonic and Tails used to be complementary, but were changed to the primary colours for the whole triple threat thing, while Tails gained blue eyes as a symbolic remnant of that, plus he naturally is more complementary to Sonic anyway.

For team Chaotix, they used to be completely incoherent, what with Charmy being red, black and yellow, Espio being a dark purple which complimented his yellow horn perfectly, and Vector...being a walking mess. Now, they all have heavy black tones and brown through gold eyes to give coherence, and are based on the secondary colours with Charmy's added orange attire. The strange thing about Espio, however, is the fact that his shade changed from a dark purple to magenta-ish. It serves no purpose really, as that purple doesn't compliment his yellow horn and eyes so much. In fact, his new shade is perfectly aligned to...

...SEEEEGAAAA! I BLAME YOU FOR CREATING ME!

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh, gawd, I thought this was another 'green eyes' topic. <_<

For fuck's sake, who cares about eye color?

Even if Sonic or any other character had black, brown, magenta, or freakin' heliatrope eyes, it wouldn't affect my interest in the characters at all! Eyes are such a trivial matter when it comes to designs anyway, so why should I even care to begin with?!?!

*Sigh*...*sigh*...please excuse me while I go drink some water and take some meds.

I love Knuckles' beautiful violet eyes I could stare into them for days on end~!

=^^=

My special way of saying 'You fools need to lighten up a bit.'

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, gawd, I thought this was another 'green eyes' topic. <_<

It's clearly not a "green eyes" discussion and comments like that will only make it devolve into one.

Lets just take this opportunity to look at some of the colors schemes Sega has decided to go with, instead of jumping onto the BAW wagon. I've already learned something in here. VEDJ-F just pointed out a connection I never saw on the color wheel. (clearly it be a sign :P)

• Thumbs Up 2

It's clearly not a "green eyes" discussion and comments like that will only make it devolve into one.

And that's another reason why I don't like topics like this, it's only fuel for flaming.

For the record we did have another topic involving eyes in regards Sonic '06 where someone mentioned the small detail in the characters' eyes on their models were actually pretty nice.

[T]hat's another reason why I don't like topics like this, it's only fuel for flaming.

Well you're kinda kinda adding the fuel yourself when you barge into a topic all 'WHY THE FUCK DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT THIS, THIS IS RETARDED AND TRIVIAL' and then pretend to storm out.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 6

As much as the green eyes instead of black eyes is a pathetic argument purely existing on the basis of people's trivial desire to want classic Sonic instead of modern Sonic, simple aesthetics like that are actually pretty important in adding to the tone of a character through symbolism. I mean, when you think of the colour green, what does it make you think of? Nature, perhaps? Or maybe you see it more as green for go, being representative of unbridled energy? These are both things that the green eyes convey to the viewer. If a character had blue eyes, you see that as a sign of innocence/pure goodness (Tails and Mario), or as a link to water (Marine the goddamn raccoon, mates!). Yellow eyes are a sign of stern attitube as well as a fiery passion, which makes sense for the likes of Espio and Blaze (lol literal fire).

Certainly nothing to get REALLY hung up over, but the little things do add up, as they say. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Y'know I've always wondered why Knuckles' eyes were purple... now after reading some of these posts, I'm assuming its a reference to his rivalry with Sonic. Mix of red and blue and all that. o:

Amazing how much thought can be put into something as small as the colour of a character's eyes... This is a surprisingly interesting topic. XD;

As much as I perfer green for Sonic, I really don't care what color eyes a character has.

I wasn't trying to be serious in my last posts, but I guess my humor is off in some ways. :P

Oh god, I don't even fucking care. Green, black, orange, zebra stripe, I don't fucking care, I've never cared, no one should care.

This = win and I agree with it 100%.

Now Hyper sonic....if he should ever return should just have white eyes. I mean you already can't really look at the character for a long time.

I wasn't trying to be serious in my last posts, but I guess my humor is off in some ways. :P

Okay then. I apologize for jumping out at you. I just took offense to people passing on the potential of a Color topic.

While we are on the topic of eyes, I would like to bring up two characters that have bugged me on the issue in the past.

Well, bugged may not be the right word, but both of theses characters seem to break the established trend when it comes to eyes. I never could quite figure out what was going on with Big's eye color, and Storm seems to have an inverse effect going with White circling his pupils. (White isn't even a color). I always found it strange that these two characters broke the formula. On top of the colors being rather exotic, we have a fundamental design conflict going on here.

What are we supposed to infer out of this guys?

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Y'know I've always wondered why Knuckles' eyes were purple... now after reading some of these posts, I'm assuming its a reference to his rivalry with Sonic. Mix of red and blue and all that. o:

Just for fun, I looked up what purple means to people in real life. I think you'll be interested by what the first result said;

Purple is the color of good judgment. It is the color of people seeking spiritual fulfillment. It is said if you surround yourself with purple you will have peace of mind. Purple is a good color to use in meditation.

Purple has been used to symbolize magic and mystery, as well as royalty. Being the combination of red and blue, the warmest and coolest colors, purple is believed to be the ideal color. Most children love the color purple. Purple is the color most favored by artists. Thursday's color is purple.

...Well, the first part reads more like taking the piss out of the poor fellow as a cruel joke by SEGA. :lol: But certainly, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with mysticism given that Knuckles is THE man to turn to for that sort of thing in the Sonic series (Espio's probably more royalty, as he has the unadultered attitube for it...)

Also, today is purple and Chooch has accidentally outed himself as a child. :lol:

Eyes are an important part of a design,
Eye color really isn't that important, unless there's some specific symbolism to or reason for it. I mean, do you even know, off the top of your head, what color Cream's, or Charmy's, or Wave's eyes are? I know I don't, but I could tell you a dozen other things about their design.

Storm was always a curious one when it comes to eyes. His grey 'eyelids' only cover the white sclera/iris and blue iris/pupil and never cover the black part of his 'eyes'.

The Coconut Crew Koala's have distinctive eyes. They're black and beady, quite unlike the other anthropes eyes. And Norman the Viking Polar Bear has eyes that are small and circular, much like Big's eyes except his sclera ain't yellow.

Now Eggman's eyes....I wonder. Sans '06, his eye colour is a mystery. I would've thought they'd be blue under those lenses to suit his ginger mustache.

Yeah, I think the 'magic and mystery' part mostly Knuckle's connection to the Master Emerald.

For Shadow, I find it interesting that his eyes are red, when usually red is symbolic of rage (like the Red World Ring in SatSR) or passion and energy, and blood. Those are the only symbols I know for red.

Edited by DragonSoul

Diogenes: Brown, amber-ish and blue. Just off the top of my head.

What are we supposed to infer out of this guys?

As someone who likes Big, I dread to say that this may fit in the Japanese animation stereotypes of idiotic characters. :(

...Oh, and MAYBE I NEED A NEW HOBBY.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Yeah, I think the 'magic and mystery' part mostly reflects his connection to the Master Emerald.

For Shadow, I find it interesting that his eyes are red, when usually red is symbolic of rage (like the Red World Ring in SatSR) or passion and energy. Those are the only symbols I know for red.

I thought that Shadow's eye colour is red because his fur colour is black and red solely as a result of genetic inheritance from Black Doom and therefore, red eye colour is also a genetic trait and/or red was the only thing that suited Shadow's fur colour design-wise.