Awoo.

If it were up to you, what color would you have the eyes of the characters?

Harvest_Jam ♥

Should also be noted that for a couple of years now, Shadow actually has orange eyes. Don't know what's up with that.

Should also be noted that for a couple of years now, Shadow actually has orange eyes. Don't know what's up with that.

Hmm?

Shadow_sonic_generations_by_axelrose_kpo

...So he does. 

Although they kind of have a red tint to them. I guess it's a way to differentiate them from the various red markings and clothing he already has?

Edit: Come to think of it, I wanted to reply to Amom yesterday to say that Vector's eyes are consistently orangey-yellow nowadays instead of what Heroes and Shadow had. Maybe Sonic Team are just throwing in more yellow tint for several eye colours. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

They're redder in that art, there's actually some renders, and IIRC in-game itself, they're pretty much orange.

sonicg3.jpg

Sonic-Generations-HD-Shadow-Rival-Battle

Looking more closely it seems my memory was tricking me and it's just in-game. What an odd idea, though.

Edited by Captain Harlock

I'm actually trying to pinpoint when the change was made and I'm getting odd results. He had orange eyes in the original S&SASR, but red eyes in Free Riders. Maybe Free Riders was in the pipeline longer despite being released later...

I never noticed but it does look as if shadow does have orangey eyes maybe a tint of red, i love sonic's green eyes, so i wouldn't see the point in changing there colour eyes, knuckles though i'm sure he has purple eyes?

Well, now the original symbolism exposited on two pages ago is kind of muted, because I always associated orange with energy and childishness. I suppose the the former could still apply in the same way it does for Sonic, but the latter is the polar opposite of Shadow. Good thing I have a basic colour chart on standby...

*looks it up*

Apparently, orange can also mean success. So maybe orange tinted red refers to Shadow having put his demons in the past and successfully moving on with his life. 

...Two years, and I have still not got a new hobby. 

The colour of the character's eyes are completely meaningless and not an issue.

Typical of the general negativity and whining of certain stupid fans :o .

Typical of the general negativity and whining of certain stupid fans ohmy.png .

Please don't be a killjoy, Pliny. Just because something is unimportant doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

I hadn't even really noticed the orange eye thing until it was pointed out...

Kind of weird now that I think about it.

Usually orange eyes run the risk of being tinged red (for example, Klonoa or Sly Cooper) rather than the other way around to my knowledge. Just one of those subtle design choices I guess, though they were really clever about if most won't even notice.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

The colour of the character's eyes are completely meaningless.

Now that just ain't true. 

Let's take a look at normal Sonic;

sonic.jpg

Nice, friendly image right? Now, try to imagine the same image but with Sonic instead having red eyes. It wouldn't the same tone at all, even if the body posture and facial expression remained exactly the same. Colours, especially eye colours (given the "eyes being gateways to the soul" thing) have come to take on visual meanings of their own, which are often adhered to when dealing with character designs like Sonic (or just any character designs that aren't based in some sort of real setting). It's especially useful for getting info quickly when the whole franchise is colourful as is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There's other topics for other stuff; it's not like this is wasting 'space' or anything. It's a topic with at least a bit of meaning; simple eye colour can show a lot of the character's emotions in a heartbeat.

It's not like we're those people going 'wwwwwaaaaaaaaaah green eyes'. We're just discussing how the eye colour works with the character it's applied to.

Then don't post in the thread. 5 pages of discussion, none of it that I can see of people going "BAAAW GREEN EYES". No problem here.

Also:

> Complaining about complaining.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, I couldn't see Sonic without his Green eyes now, adds more to his overall personality, it's hard to explain but I couldn't have him going back to black eyes at all!

• Thumbs Up 2

Then don't post in the thread. 5 pages of discussion, none of it that I can see of people going "BAAAW GREEN EYES". No problem here.

Also:

> Complaining about complaining.

I'm just trying to raise a valid point :( :( :( 

The eyes are not the big part of Sonic and people attack his green eyes :( .

Sonic looks great all the time :D . GO SONIC!

After doing a little more research into the Shadow eye thing, I found that the Sonic Channel art for Shadow post-Generations still retain the red eyes. 

Even more confusing. Maybe they're orange just because it shows up better than red on 3D models. Which would be different to Vector's situation since the shift from brownish-reddish-orangish to orange-gold was in both his 3D renders and his 2D artwork. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

I'm just trying to raise a valid point sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

The eyes are not the big part of Sonic and people attack his green eyes sad.png .

Sonic looks great all the time biggrin.png . GO SONIC!

But it isn't a valid point because no-one's attacking his green eyes. There's more people attacking people for even daring to discuss eye colours than people attacking eye colours.

This is the point where I say I prefer Sonic without green eyes, and show this as my evidence, btw

goodsonic.jpg

Actually, I couldn't see Sonic without his Green eyes now, adds more to his overall personality, it's hard to explain but I couldn't have him going back to black eyes at all!

I actually feel the same way. Now to answer the question at hand, I honestly wouldn't change the eye colors of any of the characters. Although at first sight I thought it was odd to see the cast with different colored irises other than the color black, I got used to it rather quickly and find every character's eye color to be fitting. If it were up to me I wouldn't change a thing with the character's eye color as I like each and every character's eye color as it stands out and I find this addition of eye color to making the characters' appearance seem more lively and appealing. smile.png

Especially Sonic's. I remember when I saw his green eyes for the first time. I really liked seeing him with green eyes, but I thought it was an artist's incorrect interpretation of Sonic as at the time I was unaware that he as well as the rest of the cast had undergone a redesign back in 1998. So I was glad to learn that the green eyes was now part of Sonic's look as I think his green eyes complements his look very well amid his color scheme:

hT46UXq.png?1

The green in Sonic's eyes just seem to pop out amid all the blue especially. Modern Sonic with his green eyes stands out compared to his black-eyed Classic counterpart. I honestly can't see any other eye color that would "pop" not to mention well compliment Sonic's color scheme better other than the color green.  

Now as for everyone else in the cast:

PjAFeD4.jpg?1

I think they look fine with whatever eye color they currently have. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 3

This is the point where I say I prefer Sonic without green eyes, and show this as my evidence, btw

*snip*

Honestly I think this looks kind of dull in comparison to the original.

Honestly I think this looks kind of dull in comparison to the original.

That's actually what I was going to say, and it relates back to what the green can represent. It's energetic, it adds a bit of a buzz to his expression. 

I think that if Fang ever gets a modern design, his eyes should be a golden yellow color. Not only would they look good against his fur, they would also fit his greedy nature (since they're the same color as Rings).

I'm actually trying to pinpoint when the change was made and I'm getting odd results. He had orange eyes in the original S&SASR, but red eyes in Free Riders. Maybe Free Riders was in the pipeline longer despite being released later...

The orange-ish color was probably chosen per game rather than on a series-wide basis, so you're not going to find one particular point where his eyes start being orange. On a series-wide basis his eyes are probably still supposed to be a more pure red. 

Edited by Amomynous

That's actually what I was going to say, and it relates back to what the green can represent. It's energetic, it adds a bit of a buzz to his expression. 

Green represents life and energy, Pretty much sums up Sonic!

I'd wager that the lighting is making Shadow's eyes appear orange.  That particular stage as some interesting lighting going on anyway.

I don't want to ruin the party or anything, but, if I never read the Sonic Comic series (since it was a plot element there) I would never have even noticed that Sonic's eyes changed green. 

I also didn't even notice that the other characters had an eye colour change or that Sonic had his modern design in the Sonic 4 trailer.

I really never understood the obsession with the eye colour? Is it an artistic point or whatnot?

Edited by Ultra Gako

I'd wager that the lighting is making Shadow's eyes appear orange.  That particular stage as some interesting lighting going on anyway.

What lighting is there in promotional CG renders?

Edited by VEDJ-F