Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Recycling stages from Unleashed and Colors?

So, we know that this game will cover three eras of Sonic. Genesis, Dreamcast, and Modern. We know that as far as Modern Sonic goes, his levels that are based off of the Genesis era will play with the Unleashed-style gameplay, and I'm guessing it's safe to say Dreamcast levels will be played the same way. My question is about the Modern era, however. Seeing as Modern Sonic's gameplay all throughout this game is based off of the Modern era (Unleashed/Colors), how will the Modern era levels work? They have three games they can choose from. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Colors. For SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, I can see them taking levels from that and updating them with the Unleashed-style gameplay, but what about Unleashed and Colors, the games that already utilized this gameplay? Will the levels from those games be totally new, or do you guys think they will completely recycle them as they were in their respective games, with maybe only adding in a few small obstacles to increase difficulty? (like some of the Unleashed DLC did). Honestly, this seems like something Sonic Team might do, considering they're rebuilding so many other levels from the two other eras. What are your thoughts on this? I'm sorry if I totally confused everyone, haha.

...Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp, in HD...jizzed!! Seriously, if underwater sections were also in 3D in Aquarium Park, that would be feckin' awesome!! For Unleashed, I want Adabat remastered (I LOVE this stage!) :D

Edited by KrazyBean14

Sonic and the Secret Rings stages, please. Night palace in HD? fuck yes!

If Unleashed or Colours' stages are used then i'm pretty sure that the actual levels will be designed differently than the originals. In all honesty i really doubt that any of Unleashed's levels will be in, although Colours' are very likely.

If they're doing the Modern Era, I think you have to include Unleashed. Unleashed defined the Modern Era, while Colors improved it.

Anyway, I've got my eyes set on remastered versions of Atopos or Eggmanland from Unleashed. Planet Wisp from Colors. And speaking of Colors, do you think Wisp powers would be available in a zone based on Colors?

Anyway, I've got my eyes set on remastered versions of Atopos or Eggmanland from Unleashed. Planet Wisp from Colors. And speaking of Colors, do you think Wisp powers would be available in a zone based on Colors?

As amusing as that'd be, I doubt that we'll get wisp powers if they're only going to appear in a single zone. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble of explaining them if they're going to disappear as soon as they've arrived. I would like to see Wisps floating around in the background of any Colours level that shows up, though; maybe a few could join up with Sonic over the course of a level and follow him around like in Colours' final boss battle? Hm.

Edited by Octarine

As amusing as that'd be, I doubt that we'll get wisp powers if they're only goinh to appear in a single zone. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble of explaining them if they're going to disappear as soon as they've arrived. I would like to see Wisps floating around in the background of any Colours level that shows up, though; maybe a few could join up with Sonic over the course of a level and follow him around like in Colours' final boss battle? Hm.

Theres nothing to say that the Wisps can't function as a short gimmick section for that stage (ala hang-gliding parts from some of the previous Sonic games), or even as a short automated section depending on the power.

Though personally I think it'd be cool if there was maybe a short section where Sonic goes through all the different Wisp powers, as a way of showcasing of them all. Afterall with it being the anniversary games you'd think they'd wanna squeeze as many appearances as they can.

Something irks me about the use of Unleashed and Colors stages, half because these stages are already done in Unleashed style and half because they're in such recent entries. It almost feels like those slots could be better left to older entries. But then again, they exist in the realm of the entire 20 year timespan, so I guess it's only fair if Sega include them. Besides, Lord knows how many times we've seen GHZ over the years. xP

As for how they'll be handled... exactly like GHZ is being handled, although I'm hoping that the level designs for Modern Sonic are different and not just nicked straight from their respective games.

Theres nothing to say that the Wisps can't function as a short gimmick section for that stage (ala hang-gliding parts from some of the previous Sonic games), or even as a short automated section depending on the power.

Though personally I think it'd be cool if there was maybe a short section where Sonic goes through all the different Wisp powers, as a way of showcasing of them all. Afterall with it being the anniversary games you'd think they'd wanna squeeze as many appearances as they can.

I swear I was actually going to suggest that, but I couldn't think of a way it could work without being really awkward. Drill, Laser, Frenzy, Rocket and maybe Cube might work decently as automated sequences, but I really can't imagine Hover or Spikes working too well.

Still, if it can be pulled off (no matter how), I'd love to see it. I think Generations' concept is a great opportunity to incorporate lots of level-specific gimmicks and really make every stage feel unique, so it'd be great to see Colours exploited to its full potential.

I think if the returning Colors stage is Planet Wisp then we'll probably get wisp powers, which would be awesome.

As far as actually the way stages will be handled, I think it's going to be similar to the way GHZ was handled. They'll probably take the concept behind the original zone and build a new level based on it.

If they're using original C.Sonic layouts for zones from the Classic Era, why wouldn't they use original M.Sonic layouts for zones from the Modern Era?

Edit: Horrible typos. Curse you iPhone

Edited by BD3

Something irks me about the use of Unleashed and Colors stages, half because these stages are already done in Unleashed style and half because they're in such recent entries. It almost feels like those slots could be better left to older entries. But then again, they exist in the realm of the entire 20 year timespan, so I guess it's only fair if Sega include them. Besides, Lord knows how many times we've seen GHZ over the years. xP

As for how they'll be handled... exactly like GHZ is being handled, although I'm hoping that the level designs for Modern Sonic are different and not just nicked straight from their respective games.

Exactly what I was thinking, haha.

Also, I think they're only gonna stick with the main series games. This hasn't been confirmed, but that's what I assume. I don't think we'll be seeing stages from SatSR.

If they're using original C.Sonic layouts for zones from the Classic Era, why wouldn't thet using original M.Sonic layouts for zones from the Modern Era?

They aren't actually reusing the layouts of Classic levels for Classic Sonic's stages, all the levels are suppost to be brand new set-ups (with maybe an odd spot here or there for the nostalgia surge :P). Even if they were reusing some of the classic levels layouts, it'd likely be harder to get away with it for Modern Sonic since his games are still relatively new anyway.

I swear I was actually going to suggest that, but I couldn't think of a way it could work without being really awkward. Drill, Laser, Frenzy, Rocket and maybe Cube might work decently as automated sequences, but I really can't imagine Hover or Spikes working too well.

Well I could see Hover working (since it could just be a quick Light Dash sequence :P) but yeah Spikes would maybe be a little difficult to implement. Though honestly I can't really see Cube being a suitable automated section either, since that power was primarily a slow platforming related one.

I do agree that the rest of the powers could all make suitable automated sections for any Colours stages that happen to appear, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see if any stages are even included first. :P

I believe you missed the storybook games. And from Unleashed, I'd love to see Adabat, Eggmanland and Mazuri. As for colors....I really could care less. I didn't find any stages from that game that caught my attention.

I'd love Aquarium Park, Night Palace, Levitated Ruin and Egg Fleet to make the cut for SG. Glad to here that everything up until Sonic Colors is confirmed! :)

They aren't actually reusing the layouts of Classic levels for Classic Sonic's stages, all the levels are suppost to be brand new set-ups (with maybe an odd spot here or there for the nostalgia surge :P). Even if they were reusing some of the classic levels layouts, it'd likely be harder to get away with it for Modern Sonic since his games are still relatively new anyway.

That was my point...

For Unleashed stages I'd expect level architecture to remain similar but with newer elements. An awesome example would be a length-wise shorter, easier Adabat with expansive underwater sections. With Colors, focus on the more platforming centric level design, with more 3D elements and like suggested automatic wisp sequence(Rocket, Laser e.g would be very easy to do.)

Okay, looks like everyone has missed the point of this topic... it's about how stages from recent games (Colours and Unleashed) will be handled, not what stages you'd like to see.

Okay then... I'm guessing Eggmanland would be a port of the daytime SD version of the level, just for ease of the developers, since the HD version was a clusterfuck of tightrope-walking, poll swinging bullshit half the time (and the level was fucking 40 MINUTES). For Classic Sonic, it might play out like Metropolis Zone or something, but with a bit more emphasis on speed?

And Planet Wisp might be a straight-up remake with the level motif in mind, that or a direct port. I dunno what the hell they'd do beyond that....

Edited by EXshad

Well for uleashed HD I'd like them to expand Adabat a bit more. What I mean about expanding it is... well during the water drifting sections instead of instantly dying when Sonic goes below the surface, why not have him do a bit of 3D/2D underwater platforming/running.

And maybe for Sonic Colors' stages I'd like it if they would expand on the 3D aspect of the game for M. Sonic. SC was too 2D for its own good.

For C. Sonic I'd like it if they would give the platforming bits a more Sonic feel rather than a Mario one. For example, like their current GHZ remake, there seems to be more focus on slopes and curving hills rather than tiny platforms floating in air.

There, how's that?

Edited by SGn3