Awoo.

Osama Bin Laden has officially been killed

Kevin

Link to article

President Obama is expected to make a statement about it shortly. But 3 US government sources are saying that Bin Laden is officially dead and that they have his body. No doubt a historic moment!

Edit: President Obama has officially confirmed that Bin Laden has been killed by a US raid in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not even the most patriotic person in the world, but someone has to post this:

All I can say is WOW. I knew this day would probably come one day, but I never thought this soon. As soon as I saw all the news stations saying the President was going to make a statement at 10:30pm on a Sunday night, I had my suspicions, but never felt that it could be THAT. I'm never happy to hear about death of any kind, but you can't deny this is a landmark day for the U.S. The news stations are gonna be busy for a LONG time.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh no...this is bad...he shall now become far more powerful than we could possibly imagine...

WHAT HAVE WE DONE

Star wars ref

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

And now the world will realize that just because Osama has been killed, the war on terror is a war that will never be won.

Politicians and the media will say it's a great day, but the fact is he got away with his crimes, politicians labled him a terrorist, an insurgent. But he was really a criminal, a criminal regardless of their crime still has to answer for it. Nearly 10 years after he became the worlds most wanted man he escapes justice.

Make no mistake, it's fantastic news that he's dead, but it's tragic that it took 10 years and he'll never have to stand to answer his crimes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh dear.

Also I read the topic title as Obama at first. My heart quite nearly stopped!

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not even the most patriotic person in the world, but someone has to post this:

Thanks. i was JUST listening to this when the news hit!

I never payed much attention to all this war mumbo jumbo but this actually really exciting even to me. It would be quite lovely if this meant we could actually get our military out of the place finally.

As much as everyone is "AMERICA FUCK YEAH"-ing, there's absolutely no way that this will end terrorism or conflict in the middle east. If anything, it might actually make him a martyr to some.

But that's not to say that this isn't a huge emotional victory for loads of people, including me.

wooooooooooooooo512011-1.gif?t=1304307308

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 4

I doubt very many Americans will honestly think that this equals the end of the war on terror (which will never happen). But as far as emotional victories are concerned, we'll take what we can get, considering the impact 9/11 had. And as someone just said on NBC, this isn't a "victory" for just the U.S. but for everyone that this man terrorized for years.

I always hoped he'd get his just desserts, but it's weird, because now I don't really feel like I should celebrate someone's death. I'm glad, but I guess it's like Hogfather's said, he's kind of escaped justice through death, and it doesn't feel right that it has taken this long for him to get any sort of punishment.

And now the world will realize that just because Osama has been killed, the war on terror is a war that will never be won.

I agree. There's always going to be someone to take his place, thus the war on terror will never been won. Terrorism has been around before Bin Laden came into the scene, and it's going to be there even after he's gone.

LoL

In the recent topic list it reads Osama Bin Laden has officially been killed by Kevin :P

I have to admit, I had a laugh at that.

ABC News says he was killed by airstrike, but other sources aren't saying how he was killed. CNN is saying that he was killed in an mansion outside Islamabad.

You all do realize that justice for him would have been execution anyway right? Just like Saddam Hussein

You all do realize that justice for him would have been execution anyway right? Just like Saddam Hussein

I understand that. I guess it's just after what he's done and hearing this news, the immediate thoughts are that death is too good for him, but in the end, it's the best solution. He's already lived long enough through the years he's been on the run, and torture and/or imprisonment doesn't really help anything anyway.

I always hoped he'd get his just desserts, but it's weird, because now I don't really feel like I should celebrate someone's death. I'm glad, but I guess it's like Hogfather's said, he's kind of escaped justice through death, and it doesn't feel right that it has taken this long for him to get any sort of punishment.

It's not just that it took so long.

America has sorta adopted him as 'their' enemy, but he has also comitted serious crimes against many other nations including mainland Europe and least we forget here in the UK. He was our enemy and a criminal to the people of the UK as much as he was to America. Murder? Conspiracy to murder? Insightment to muder? Racial hatred? Terrorism? His charge sheet could be near endless.

But he wasn't just a criminal that had comitted crimes against America, so whilst I'm sued in the next few days we'll see on the news incontrovertial evidence that says this is his body, I would rather watch the news and see him having to stand in the Hauge and then a reporter saying "Lord justice asked, you are Osama Bin Laden, and you are charged with... How do you pleed?"

LoL

In the recent topic list it reads Osama Bin Laden has officially been killed by Kevin :P

It would be even funnier if Flyboy Fox or s o n i c had made it XD

Confirmed by Obama

Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead - Obama

Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces, President Barack Obama has said.

The US is said to be in possession of Bin Laden's body.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation in a mansion outside Islamabad in an operation based on US intelligence, reports said.

Bin Laden is accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.

He is top of the US most wanted list.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

Bin Laden approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died, saying later that the results had exceeded his expectations.

He has evaded the forces of the US and its allies for a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

His death will be seen as a major blow to al-Qaeda but also raise fears of reprisal attacks, correspondents say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

Dammit Kevin, I wanted to be the first to make this topic!

Oh well. Even still, this came as a shock the moment I heard about this. After 10 freaking years this guy is finally dead.

...wow.

I'm watching Obama addressing it right now.

Honestly, this is damn good news. While it's true that I don't usually feel relieved when someone dies, I also believe in an eye for and eye. The bastard had it coming to him... Took ten years to give it to him though, but still, I'm glad that those who were effected by 9/11 can finally have a sense of closure on that event. I can only imagine the hell some of them had to go through the years. I am VERY happy for them.

Now don't get it twisted, and I glad no one is, but terrorism will never end.(Especially not in our lifetime.) Something as gruesome as 9/11 can happen again to any country at any moment. And it would have been beneficial to bring him back to US alive. (Probably could have got some info beaten out of him before the death penalty. And that he would actually have had to face his crimes instead just going out like that.) Now this is a moment of a complete unknown and it's too soon to bust out the champagne in this chapter. So I'm glad to at least hear that the government will keep their guard up, in case of a possible retaliation.

But yeah! America, FUCK YEAH! :D

Edited by YoshiUnity:Ace SSMB Member
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is the headline you want to hear but never really expect to. Good job America. It took you long enough. xP

I live in the university dorms near the ROTC... lots of cheering and celebrating. And paper being thrown. I feel like school should just be cancelled for tomorrow. XD

On a more serious note, we still have other problems to deal with. We can celebrate for the day, but as Cave Johnson would say, "BACK TO WORK!"

Also. Counter terrorists win!

Edited by Nazo

Yeah, but having him just die without a big execution is a bit anticlimactic.

It's wrong to applaud the death of a human being, but fortunately Osama Bin Laden wasn't a human being, so fuck yeah!

• Thumbs Up 5

Goddamn, I was watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica when I was told the news. I'm forever going to associate this...

0R2Sr.jpg

with the death of a terrorist...

But aside from that, gosh. Every fiber of my body is filled with shock and amazement right now, especially after seeing that big crowd outside the White House. I can't remember ever seeing such enthusiastic patriotism like that.

Edited by doodooface
  • Thumbs Up 4