Awoo.

Osama Bin Laden has officially been killed

Kevin

I honestly question one thing: if US had the body of Bin Laden and if the guy was such a major goldmine to acquire, why the hell did they get rid of the body by sending it to the sea within 24 hours while giving no evidence but a fake photoshopped image (from the Pakistan TV stations apparently) and a Presidential statement?

This whole thing sounds kinda iffy to me. Unless I'm missing out anything on the video reports I'd like to see some solid evidence that he's gone. I find it a bit hard to swallow, just that.

Edited by MickX

May 2nd Hitler announced dead

May 2nd Voldemort announced dead

May 2nd Bin Laden announced dead

May 2nd - A day for getting shit DONE.

I have the sudden urge to put that in my signature. Shame I have no room.

May 2nd Hitler announced dead

May 2nd Voldemort announced dead

May 2nd Bin Laden announced dead

May 2nd - A day for getting shit DONE.

Moral of the story; Villains better not underestimate the maypoles, because those ribbons are actually badass signs of your demise.

Moral of the story; Villains better not underestimate the maypoles, because those ribbons are actually badass signs of your demise.

Especially if they're on fire.

I honestly question one thing: if US had the body of Bin Laden and if the guy was such a major goldmine to acquire, why the hell did they get rid of the body by sending it to the sea within 24 hours while giving no evidence but a fake photoshopped image (from the Pakistan TV stations apparently) and a Presidential statement?

It is part of Muslim tradition (in many places) to bury the body within 24 hours of death. By not discracing the corpse, America gets to walk tall with a bit of class, regardless of the bloodlust intentions. Plus a burial at sea removes the option for his potential grave to become a shrine of sorts.

They also have provided proof. Apparantly, news outlets (CNN, Fox ect) have acquired the real photos and are mulling over the appropriate way to distribute the graphic material. Fox in particuar has already confirmed DNA matches to Osama. If the President appeared on television to give the news, you can be pretty certain that the dude is dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite quote of the day?

"It's amazing what you can get done when the Playstation Network is down."

• Thumbs Up 3

It is part of Muslim tradition (in many places) to bury the body within 24 hours of death. By not discracing the corpse, America gets to walk tall with a bit of class, regardless of the bloodlust intentions. Plus a burial at sea removes the option for his potential grave to become a shrine of sorts.

Muslims are already being incredibly critical about this though, since one is to place a body into a coffin beforehand and specifically direct it toward Mecca, instead of just dumping it in the ocean.

A lot of people were rubbed the wrong way about it and saw it as an insult, so if anything it'd have almost made matters worse.

Muslims are already being incredibly critical about this though, since one is to place a body into a coffin beforehand and specifically direct it toward Mecca, instead of just dumping it in the ocean.

A lot of people were rubbed the wrong way about it and saw it as an insult, so if anything it'd have almost made matters worse.

They didn't just dump the body overboard. They preformed various rites and even washed it before hand (AP). People will take offense regardless, but they didn't hang up his corpse for all to see so I gotta say that is a humanitarian victory on our end.

Had the body made it to American soil, you know there would have been 1 ya-hoo wanting to pose with the body, and that is not an image we need at the moment. The whole thing was handled about as well as I could imagine it.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

They also have provided proof. Apparantly, news outlets (CNN, Fox ect) have acquired the real photos and are mulling over the appropriate way to distribute the graphic material. Fox in particuar has already confirmed DNA matches to Osama. If the President appeared on television to give the news, you can be pretty certain that the dude is dead.

Won't disagree about the tradition part. Given it's their land it's natural to follow their rules. Still I expected them to hold the body along for a bit longer, it felt dispatched so quickly as if the body had no value whatsoever (now that I think about it, not sure what they could still do with that body really).

If news sources are squabbling about for those pictures I guess there's nothing to do but wait for them to pop up. If that evidence exists I'm happy enough. I know I know, sounds like I don't believe the US President's word much, but yeah, we Portuguese folks are kinda tough cookies when it comes to believing politicians, it is kind of a rough habit. :P

Kinda wonder what's next to do in the fight against terrorism. I'm pretty sure someone will stand up and do something against the world at some point in the future. Humans just seem to be hardwired to fight for their own ideals even if those ideals mercilessly stomp most of the world into pieces.

"It's amazing what you can get done when the Playstation Network is down."

We should do this every year.

Shoot, if we could somehow coordinate a simultaneous crash of PSN and XboxLive, then we may well be able to solve world hunger.

get on it hackers

If news sources are squabbling about for those pictures I guess there's nothing to do but wait for them to pop up. If that evidence exists I'm happy enough. I know I know, sounds like I don't believe the US President's word much, but yeah, we Portuguese folks are kinda tough cookies when it comes to believing politicians, it is kind of a rough habit. :P

Nothing wrong with a little skepticism, especially when your dealing in politics. The pictures may or may not make it to US television, but I imagine that they will find their way to the internet shortly. An NBC reporter had this to say recently.

So yeah, we gotta play the waiting game for the legit pictures.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

The amazing part is that it's actually Taiwanese.

[insert obligatory dig at Chinese government here]

So I just heard that they buried Osama at Sea... Didn't stop Megatron.

Edited by Hogfather

So I just heard that they burried Osama at Sea... Didn't stop Megatron.

Been checking out my status updates, have ye? ;)

But yes, he received a burial at sea in accordance with Islamic tradition. The most hated, loathed enemy of America in the past decade, given a more respectful send-off than he or his organisation gave any westerner. That is something to be very proud of.

More than likely because America fears the zealots who see Bin Laden as their hero.

They just killed the most famous terrorist figurehead in the world. They can impossibly hamper the outrage expressed by a good deal of muslims. It was a ditch attempt if any, to still that, and at the same time make sure the body isn't found.

Edited by Carbo

Been checking out my status updates, have ye? ;)

Nope, been checking out my cousins!

Fox News striked again with mispronoucing Osama's name. :rolleyes:

Usama Bin Laden.

Is this correct? Only last night the FBI's website was also calling him Usama.

Is this correct? Only last night the FBI's website was also calling him Usama.

I just saw it 2 minutes before Obama's public warning regarding Osama's death on Fox News (my dad left the TV on while he was mowing) and I thought I should say it.

I hear Usama bin Ladin is the proper spelling of his name.

Uh-oh. Hope they didn't accidentally mix up and kill the wrong terrorist mastermind.

A brief synopsis of 2011 so far:

· Mubarak resigns from Egyptian rule after 30 years of dictatorship.

· Duke Nukem Forever finally has a release date.

· Jim Carrey is making a movie about penguins.

· Classic Sonic returns after 13 years of absence.

And now Osama Bin Laden is dead. Can this year possibly get any better?

Edited by Preston
  • Thumbs Up 2