Awoo.

What Species of Hedgehog Is Sonic Anyway?

CanofEpicSauce

Well the other day I was just looking up hedgehogs on Wikipedia, and I wondered "What species of Hedgehog would Sonic be under" now I'm not saying fast, talking, blue hedgehogs exist, but I just wanted to see which species of hedgehog Sonic resembles most depending on how similar Sonic's ears, feet, belly, etc. are to that of a real species of hedeghog. Kinda like how even though Crash is orange, anthropomophic, and is good at dancing, he is still referred to as an Eastern Barred Bandicoot.

But remember folks, don't take this seriously, this is just a fun little thought experiement as well as a discussion about the different species of Hedgehog

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

Well the other day I was just looking up hedgehogs on Wikipedia, and I wondered "What species of Hedgehog would Sonic be under" now I'm not saying fast, talking, blue hedgehogs exist, but I just wanted to see which species of hedgehog Sonic resembles most depending on how similar Sonic's ears, feet, belly, etc. are to that of a real species of hedeghog. Kinda like how even though Crash is orange, anthropomophic, and is good at dancing, he is still referred to as an Eastern Barred Bandicoot.

But remember folks, don't take this seriously, this is just a fun little thought experiement as well as a discussion about the different species of Hedgehog

I'd say he's closes to a Atelerix Albiventris, the white-bellied Hedgehog, due to the white/beige skin on his belly/arms. Then again, Atelerix Albiventris has 4 toes, not sure how many Sonic has.

wb.jpg

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 2

I read once that he is an African Pygmy hedgehog.

Edited by TwoTailedFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Simply. The rare Peach-Belly Blue Needle also known as "Fasteticus thing alivine" :huh: ...or just a blue hedgehog..

Edited by Abominal Taz

He's a blue saiyan who left Planet Hedgehog as baby and has yet to unleash his true powers until he obtains the 7 DragonballsChaos Emeralds.

Or he's an African Pygmy Hedgehog. That works.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say he is a porcupine. The first comic he was called Cinos. He looks at the comic very similar to a porcupine. ^^

(250px-STC8-Kintobor.JPG)

Altus Volo Viator Herinacius

It's in latin, try and figure out what it means. ;)

Hint:

H____ S____ T____ H____

Edited by Unholy Sønic

I would say he is a porcupine. The first comic he was called Cinos. He looks at the comic very similar to a porcupine. ^^

Sonic the Hedgehog

Porcupines are totally unrelated.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I agree with what Two TailedFox said, I too read somewhere that he's an African Pygmy Hedgehog, but he also does resemble the long-eared Hedgehog a bit.

Erinaceus europaeus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Hedgehog

That's what it says in the comic strip that you're using to help prove that he's a porcupine. Also, Cinos?! He just called himself Sonic. The Hedgehog.

... :huh:

Edited by Indigo Rush

In Latin Sonic the Hedgehog is Sonitus Harinarcus

Which is pronounced "Son-ih-tus Hairy-nar-cus" Or to say it another way "Sonitus Hairy knackers"

Just so you know.

Edited by Hogfather

Porcupines have distinctly long tails and relatively unattractive noses, unlike Sonic.

black-hedgehog.jpg

And as for toes, Sonic has no toes.

You know what this means?

Shadow is a porcupine/alien hybrid

Erinaceus europaeus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Hedgehog

That's what it says in the comic strip that you're using to help prove that he's a porcupine. Also, Cinos?! He just called himself Sonic. The Hedgehog.

... :huh:

At this time of the comic he already was "Sonic". Without his shoues he is Cinos.

If I translate "hedgehog" to german I get the resoults: Igel(Hedgehog) and Stachelschwein(porcupine). If you don't take the translation too serious "Sonic the Hedgehog" would be in german "Sonic das Stachelschwein"(Sonic the porcupine)... Sorry this is kind of confusing. :P

For me Sonic is looking at this comic like a porcupine.

Edit: Sonic has realy loong stings. Like a porcupine does. Maybe he is a mix of a hedgehog and a porcupine.. but they just call them hedgehog anyways. ;)

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

He's not a porcupine or part porcupine. He's been called an African Pygmy Hedgehog and a European Hedgehog (British canon), but there's no real way to pin an exact breed on him when he's so comically unlike any actual hedgehog. But I think it's safe to say that he is a hedgehog, anyway (;

Porcupines have distinctly long tails and relatively unattractive noses, unlike Sonic.

black-hedgehog.jpg

And as for toes, Sonic has no toes.

You know what this means?

Shadow is a porcupine/alien hybrid

stachelschweine_praeparate.jpg

If you look at its head(ignore the other end) it looks like modern sonic. :rolleyes: Don't forget that there are different Species of porcupines aswell.

..And it has "long" ears.

.. :P

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

stachelschweine_praeparate.jpg

If you look at its head(ignore the other end) it looks like modern sonic. :rolleyes: Don't forget that there are different Species of porcupines aswell.

It looks like American classic Sonic as well, with the whole mohawk thing going on! XD

It's kind of ridiculous(at a funny way) that we are posting real porcupines and discuss what species Sonic actually is. :lol:

He's probably not a specific species, just a stylisation of the stereotypical image of one.

And while I can certainly let the European Hedgehog thing slide since, well, he very well could be in the Sonic the Comic continuity, I must pipe this up now, very clearly, with some pretty strong emphasis; CONCEPT MOBIUS IS NOT A VALID SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON THIS. The things about species there are based on guess work by one or two people, no matter how well thought out the guessing is it's still guessing. This African Pygmy stuff is based on a guess that spread out due to word of mouth, possibly fuelled by the fact the African Pygmy is the most common hedgehog kept as a pet in America (which is why SEGA used it in the American adverts for SA/SA2).

Of course, this could just be my inner herpetologist speaking. I mean, I was okay with it, but when that inner herpetologist saw that they cited Jackson's chameleon as the only true chameleon with any sort of horn when there's actually quite a lot of horned true chameleons (Meller's chameleon being a far better fit, if you really want to be pedantic)...it took a while for the shovel bashes to the head to calm it down. And then I went on my way knowing that it was just a pinky-purple chameleon with a heart on his chest we were making a fuss over. :)

VEDJ-F, the European Hedgehog thing wasn't from Concept Mobius. It was from this picture posted earlier.

250px-STC8-Kintobor.JPG

I...never said that the European Hedgehog thing was from Concept Mobius. I gave it a pass specifically because it had been in official Sonic media. It was the African Pygmy claim I was ranting about. :huh:

My bad, it sounded to me like you were saying that people were saying he was a European Hedgehog because of CM but that you might excuse it in case it was in Sonic the Comic. Got'cha now. Although I could have sworn the African Pygmy thing was said officially somewhere. Or semi-officially. I think someone may have asked the question to Archie, once, back when they were answering silly questions like that with equal facetiousness. Either way, excuse the misunderstanding ♥

Oh, God. African Pygmy Hedgehog.

I don't wanna make a racist remark, unlike Knux.

I think I know what species he is now, this one:

sa1protobluehedgehogad.png

Try uh... not hotlinking from Sonic-Cult.

sa1protobluehedgehogad.png