Alexander

Modern Sonic's height

So, here I am yet again with my thousandth question. Today's question is about Modern Sonic's height. We all know that Sonic is 3'3". These stats are used for Sonic as a whole, meaning it's used for BOTH Sonic's, Classic and Modern. Artwork of Modern Sonic next to Classic Sonic shows that he is quite taller. If they are both supposed to be 3'3", why does Modern look so much taller? Does this mean that he isn't actually 3'3" and is actually taller than that, or IS he that height, but they just changed Classic's to something smaller? Obviously, I'm putting too much thought into this, but I'm just curious as to what you lovely people think.

I thought Classic Sonic was 100cm and that Modern was a bit taller. Not sure where I read that though.

100 cm (~3ft, 3in) is modern Sonic's official height, according to the Sonic Channel bios. I thought modern and classic Sonic were the same height until recently, until I skimmed some of the old game manuals. The Sonic CD Japanese manual listed Metal Sonic's height at 765.4 mm. Since Metal is a copy of Sonic, we can assume classic Sonic was at a similar height.

100 cm (~3ft, 3in) is modern Sonic's official height, according to the Sonic Channel bios. I thought modern and classic Sonic were the same height until recently, until I skimmed some of the old game manuals. The Sonic CD Japanese manual listed Metal Sonic's height at 765.4 mm. Since Metal is a copy of Sonic, we can assume classic Sonic was at a similar height.

But looking at Sonic 2006 he was almost as high as Elise's shoulder, so he should be around 1,45cm by that logic. :/

For some reason I always thought of Modern Sonic as 3' 3" since that's the official height, but he probably is a little taller than that. It seems to me there shouldn't be QUITE that big of a height gap between the two Sonics, though. Classic Sonic doesn't stack up. :/

^ Even in '06 all the characters were lengthened quite a bit. However, he is still considered to be the same actual height... in that case, Elise is actually quite short, despite the fact that she LOOKS tall... she only looks tall because you're comparing her to Sonic. Sonic is still 100 cm even in '06, though.

I'd say classic Sonic has shrunk. They had to change the height of one of them otherwise the proportions would be out of whack (classic Sonic's head would be huge...), and given that modern Sonic is the official current Sonic and classic Sonic is the "newcomer", he gets squashed.

Sonic is still 100 cm even in '06, though.

True Dat,

Modern Sonic has more or less always hovered around the 100 cm mark. Elise is a pretty normal sized lady (probably just shy of the 6 ft marker) and she still dwarfs Sonic.

As for classic Sonic, Dio seems to have hit that one on the head. The two designs would not be able to stand next to each other if they were the same height. Classic Sonic would be completely out of whack in comparison.

But looking at Sonic 2006 he was almost as high as Elise's shoulder, so he should be around 1,45cm by that logic. :/

He wasn't quite that tall in 06:

2yjwwt0.png

His proportions, however, did make him appear taller than most incarnations of modern Sonic. However, everyone's proportions were stretched out in that game, so in that game's universe he is still likely to be around 100cm.

edit: aww, man, espio'd. :C

Edited by BlazingTales

True Dat,

Modern Sonic has more or less always hovered around the 100 cm mark. Elise is a pretty normal sized lady (probably just shy of the 6 ft marker) and she still dwarfs Sonic.

As for classic Sonic, Dio seems to have hit that one on the head. The two designs would not be able to stand next to each other if they were the same height. Classic Sonic would be completely out of whack in comparison.

Whoah, was he that short in 06? No wait, the CGI Sonic was larger right?

I can accept the fact that Modern Sonic is 3'3", but Classic Sonic being that height doesn't really work. His legs are way too stubby, haha. Because of that, I think the height difference between both Classic and Modern is fine, because looking at Modern Sonic's legs, that's what you'd kind of expect.

Not really. The long legs Sega gave him in that game just play tricks on your eyes (It also doesn’t help that he carries her around everywhere).

It’s a common misconception though. I can’t count how many people swear up and down that Sonic’s model in 06 was 6 feet tall. :D

The change works for me as well. C. Sonic has a rounded out (i.e. fat), playful animation and the stubby legs work well with the difference in scope.

What I remember is this very screenshot:

Worst_Elise5--article_image.jpg

That really made him look tall, guess that's why I thought so.

Agreed, Sega DogTagz.

And yes, I too thought of the last cutscene from Sonic's story. At first I was gonna blame the game and say that Sonic's height just wasn't consistent throughout (the game was poop, so I wouldn't be surprised), but I guess my eyes WERE just playing tricks on me.

Edited by Cloverdox

Agreed, Sega DogTagz.

And yes, I too thought of the last cutscene from Sonic's story. At first I was gonna blame the game and say that Sonic's height just wasn't consistent throughout (the game was poop, so I wouldn't be surprised), but I guess my eyes WERE just playing tricks on me.

Well, Sonic did have that size-chaning gem. :P

Well, Sonic did have that size-chaning gem. :P

Touche!

And Blue Blood, I see what you mean. If he was that size, he'd look awkward. It'd be just like taking two action figures, both made by different companies that aren't in scale to each other, and standing them next to each other.

... That was probably the worst analogy ever, but yeah, I feel as if I (kind of) got my point across. -_-

Touche!

And Blue Blood, I see what you mean. If he was that size, he'd look awkward. It'd be just like taking two action figures, both made by different companies that aren't in scale to each other, and standing them next to each other.

... That was probably the worst analogy ever, but yeah, I feel as if I (kind of) got my point across. -_-

That was a great analogy, I made this based on it :D

20110505341.jpg

Edited by Tobbii

I considered Modern Sonic 3'3" since that was the official height for him in recent era games.

SatAM Sonic joked around with Robotnik and said he was "Ehh, about 3'4", give or take an inch."

Then again, Metal Sonic being 765.4 mm, which equals 76.54 cm, which equals 2'6"

So.... either way, they're both short and I want plushies to scale of both of them c:

Hahaha, this is great! :D Wasn't expecting that

I wished my Classic Sonic wasn't broken though, those eyes. :P

I'm more focused on the fact that he's missing a right arm and a nose. :blink:

Yeah, that's what I meant about him being broken. The eyes was meant to be seperate from that sentence, I just messed up while writing. But Classic's eyes are SCARY there.