Awoo.

Chao Garden?

NytroFactor

Is it sad to say that I feel Sonic '06 is the closest to SA3 in terms of gameplay? @_@

Is it sad to say that I feel Sonic '06 is the closest to SA3 in terms of gameplay? @_@

Not really... Hell I'd go a step further and say that 06 feels more like a Sonic Adventure 2 than Sonic Adventure 2 did. A sucky Sonic Adventure 2, but one none the less.

Makes sense, seeing as '06 was the Japanese Sonic team's first game since Adventure. SA2, Heroes, and Shadow were all done by the American branch before merging back together with the Japanese Sonic Team.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the forced amigo system rather than giving a good number of characters an equal amount of story, I think that's the big difference between the Adventure games and Sonic 2006, but I get your point.

I don't know if someone has suggested this, but they could do Chaos own game. ;)

Dunno if this would be a good success though.

I don't know if someone has suggested this, but they could do Chaos own game. ;)

Dunno if this would be a good success though.

If they made it a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/eShop title, sure, I think it could work. One problem though, how would we gather animals/drives? I liked that part as well you see.

If they made it a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/eShop title, sure, I think it could work. One problem though, how would we gather animals/drives? I liked that part as well you see.

Collecting animals and drives was a pain. You realy liked that? ^^

They could do a minigame for each attribute. Or to win Rings. With this rings you could buy your animal/drives. If you like more Rings in a short time they could bring in a gambling game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally enjoyed it, but I did it sometimes, it wasn't a mass part of my gameplay time.

If you made it for the 3DS then I'd probably buy it if it were downloadable and only made by a small team because I don't think it really needs a massive development plan.

/opinion

Collecting animals and drives was a pain. You realy liked that? ^^

They could do a minigame for each attribute. Or to win Rings. With this rings you could buy your animal/drives. If you like more Rings in a short time they could bring in a gambling game.

I liked playing the main game, so playing it to find the animals I wanted was a fun scavenger hunt.

I liked playing the main game, so playing it to find the animals I wanted was a fun scavenger hunt.

I see.

I just was collecting animals to get a Chaos Chao. Have all 3 of them. :rolleyes:

As for the drives. I just collectet as many I need for a certain color and looking. Then I just used a glitch and I was feeding him just with Chao Fruits to get all statts to 99. :P

I see.

I just was collecting animals to get a Chaos Chao. Have all 3 of them. :rolleyes:

As for the drives. I just collectet as many I need for a certain color and looking. Then I just used a glitch and I was feeding him just with Chao Fruits to get all statts to 99. :P

I never glitched any of my Chaos, I spent my days on Prison Lane getting Chaos Drives to make the best ones. :P

I never glitched any of my Chaos, I spent my days on Prison Lane getting Chaos Drives to make the best ones. :P

I did it once with my first Chao. :P

But he died on "decrepitude" :P and I chosed to do the glich because of my laziness.

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

EXACTLY. This. Nobody else seems to notice that. People say "we already GOT Sonic Adventure 3" with the justification that three different games were once titled as such. But if any of them were still "SA3 in spirit" by the time development finished, they would have been titled that way. They changed the name for a reason.
ShtH and Unleashed, maybe. '06? No, that game is 100% accurate to the Adventure formula (in so much as one exists) aside from the name and the lack of a chao garden. Hell, '06 is more like SA than SA2 was.

ShtH and Unleashed, maybe. '06? No, that game is 100% accurate to the Adventure formula (in so much as one exists) aside from the name and the lack of a chao garden. Hell, '06 is more like SA than SA2 was.

Well yes except all the 3 main characters almost play exactly alike. Except Silver sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yes except all the 3 main characters almost play exactly alike. Except Silver sucks.

That's a complete falsehood. Sonic and Shadow play almost completely different, with Shadow having more focus on slow combat. Silver was even slower and involved his telekinesis. Saying they didn't play any differently is just lies. Even if they were all the same with different levels, Adventure 1 did that, with Sonic and Tails playing pretty much exactly the same.

Also Silver was the only one worth playing as.

That's a complete falsehood. Sonic and Shadow play almost completely different, with Shadow having more focus on slow combat. Silver was even slower and involved his telekinesis. Saying they didn't play any differently is just lies. Even if they were all the same with different levels, Adventure 1 did that, with Sonic and Tails playing pretty much exactly the same.

Also Silver was the only one worth playing as.

Well, I can't agree there.

Sonic and Shadow feels pretty much the same (playing now actually) while playing, the difference are very small. Silver handles the worst of the bunch in my opinnion, he's the reason I havn't finished the game yet, can't control the bastard in End of the World. He glitches out all the time and more often then not he end up tossing his objects into eachother so they never hit the enemies. Silver uses his psycic powers yes, but they still have the same basic gameplay goals. It's not like in SA where you had very different things like Knuckles looking for emeralds or E-102's shooting... or Bigs fishing.

Sonic's gameplay was also pretty slow in Sonic 2006 btw.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I think they ought to do with the chao gardens is do a separate game for 3DS (poss NGP and/or PSP) that can link to games on the Wii/Cafe (PS3) and receive rings, maybe medals, possibly animals or drives if they are in the console game (not speaking of Generations specifically here), but which would not be otherwise related to them. That way, only a small amount of code would be needed in the console version, to count collections (which are often counted already) and to allow the transfer. No space/time is 'stolen' from the Sonic game, and there are no trophies/ achievements linked to it. People with no interest in chao don't buy the 3D or HD chao garden, and only people with a console but no linkable handheld that still want chao are unhappy (sorry, folks). Ideally, the handheld game would be not only a garden but a chao game as well, allowing people with only a handheld to still play it. Actually, with the 3DS, they could arrange to have 3DS Sonic games store ring/collectable info in a file that the chao game could access as well. (Not as familiar with the Sony handhelds' capabilities.)

I've said before that I'd like to see a game where the abilities of the different chao were put to use - Sonic is fast, but might need a flying chao or a swimming chao to toss a switch or retrieve an item. Such a game could give the option of calling a 'generic' chao, for those who did not want to raise their own, or a hand raised chao. A similar style could be used in a chao-only game without Sonic completionists having to decide if they wanted to deal with chao or pass up a Sonic game, unless any game with Sonic cameos in it is mandatory for their collection. Anyway, this would leave the chao to the chao-fans, while still accessing rings and such collected in the games. Rings you collect anyway; animals and such if they returned could be collected or not as the Sonic player chose. And I'd love to see a 3D chao garden!

• Thumbs Up 2

You wouldn't believe how utterly disappointed I was to see Chao being reduced to nothing more than stat boosting pets similar to those of MMOs in Sonic Chronicles <__<

Oddly enough, that was by far my favorite use for them in the entire series. By far. I didn't care for Chao when they first were introduced and I never will care for them. They were especially annoying to deal with in Sonic Adventure 2 because they were required for 100% completion. Fuck that shit.

I'm all for a spin-off series on handhelds that exclusively revolve around Chao, but honestly? How many people here would actually buy a game like that? Do you think that people who aren't particularly big Sonic fans would even take interest in it? I think realistically one or two games would come out and Sega would discontinue the spin-off series due to the lack of funds being raked in.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oddly enough, that was by far my favorite use for them in the entire series. By far. I didn't care for Chao when they first were introduced and I never will care for them. They were especially annoying to deal with in Sonic Adventure 2 because they were required for 100% completion. Fuck that shit.

I'm all for a spin-off series on handhelds that exclusively revolve around Chao, but honestly? How many people here would actually buy a game like that? Do you think that people who aren't particularly big Sonic fans would even take interest in it? I think realistically one or two games would come out and Sega would discontinue the spin-off series due to the lack of funds being raked in.

Hence why it being a download-only title would be better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I preferred the stat-raising effect chao were used for in Sonic Chronicles. I do think that it would've been nicer still if you could level them up like in SA/SA2 and THAT affected your stat increases... but it doesn't bother me too much.

I like chao, and I wouldn't mind them as a totally optional sidequest... but that was my biggest gripe about SA2--REQUIRING to raise chao in order to get 100% completion. If it was totally 100% optional I wouldn't have cared.

I think Chao Gardens are okay as long as, like playing as additional characters, they are 100% optional and only unlock things specifically for that feature (or said feature can be unlocked via another method).

I rather scavenger hunt for animals than play Fruit matching or Rock Paper Scissors a gazillion times for food to boost Chao stats.

You ask how many people would be interested in a game revolving purely around Chao as if you expected not many people will be interested. If you told me that you came from the future and said Rabbids are popular and stole Rayman's spotlight and merchandise options, I would seriously punch you. I do think that Chao has a potential to be a 3DS game that can be linked up to a WiiWare game similar to My Pokemon Ranch in terms of raising them (but much less boring than My Pokemon Ranch). As for how the 3DS game is played.... like a lite version of Sonic Rush Adventure with animal gathering! =D Then transferring them to the Chao on your WiiWare game... and stuff. Well I'm sure you follow my idea here.

I still can't fathom how did Rabbids get so popular

It's in a catch-22 position, unfortunately. The Chao system isn't one that is balanced with the Sonic gameplay mechanic; the only things connecting them are the rings, emblems and animals you collect. You can play Sonic without worrying about how your Chao are doing, but you can't fully enjoy the Chao Garden without playing regular levels to obtain rings and animals. This prevents the Chao Gardens from becoming useful in the main games as well as on it's own.

It's kind of interresting how that dynamic returns in Unleashed. You got Rings to buy stuff in the Shops, got exp. from enemies similar how you obtain the animals and chao drives, and use them grind out the stats for Werehog/Sonic,like the Chao. Also you can give food to Chip which also kind of resembles the Chao. And the size of the Hubworlds and how they are 2-Sidedalso reminded me a bit of the actual Chao-Gardens.It's really kind of similar, maybe it has to do with the fact that both Director and Art-Director of Unleashed, were mainly responsive for the Chao-Gardens in the Adventure games.