Awoo.

Sonic Adventure makes it to the Smithsonian

eXtaticus

Source: Alexander Peal @ Sonic Stadium News

And a well-deserved entry it is, too!

Sonic Adventure was, at its initial release in 1998, a revolutionary masterpiece - the likes of which had never been seen before, and were, in the public eye at the time, unlikely to be seen again for a good long while. In fact, at the time of the title's launch, it was arguably the best looking game ever to have been released on a console, and gave the sixth generation the kick-start it needed to become the fantastically well-rounded gaming era that it is looked back upon as today. Additionally, Adventure shifted more copies than any other Dreamcast game in existence, and can most definitely be considered a title that was truly purpose-built to suit its system perfectly; the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure were, of course, in development at the same time and in conjunction with eachother, with Yuji Naka a key member of Sega's "Dream Team" - the internal group responsible for making the console the piece of gaming excellence that it has since been revered as.

The term “art”, in my opinion, couldn’t have suited any other game better than it does this one, and Sega and Sonic Team should always - no matter how rubbish their most recent fumblings may have turned out to be - remain truly proud of themselves for creating such an immaculate wonder of a game, and one that has now had its brilliance preserved and recognised by the one of the most prestigious art museums in existence - a wholly fitting honour for an undeniably honourable title.

So, what are your opinions on SA making it into the exhibition? Did it deserve it? Was it really all that good? Post up!

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 3

As long as they make sure to note the difference between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX

• Thumbs Up 2

Unfortunately, Sonic CD lost to Earthworm Jim for the Sega Genesis/CD action game placement

An agreeable decision if I ever saw one.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I don't think I'd consider SA as an important work of art in any sense.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I don't think I'd consider SA as an important work of art in any sense.

Considering it didn't do anything revolutionary, this is completely understanble. At least its nice it got a mention.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought art was suppose to be timeless.
Hm, no, context can mean a hell of a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for Sonic Adventure, but there are more timeless Sonic games that could have been used for this exhibit instead. Never mind Sonic CD, what about the Genesis Sonic games? Those games are nearly two decades old and still stand the test of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Timelessness has nothing to do with it. Birth of a Nation is still considered one of the most significant films ever made.

Although I find SA1's presence in this gallery to be baffling.

Edited by Sean

I love Sonic Adventure, and I get the part about how, at the time, it was probably the best looking game around, but.... of all the Sonic games, I think they could have done better with Sonic 2 or 3. Beyond that though, I love this game and it's awesome to see it in the Smithsonian.... although that's the strangest place I'd expect to find a copy of Sonic Adventure.

I can't help but feel happy that the first game I ever played is going to be at the Smithsonian for a few months, but I'm also a bit surprised. As much as I love it, even for its time Sonic Adventure is a flawed game, and the general consensus now is very mixed. Even if they're looking for historical importance, I see no reason why Sonic Adventure would be included except for its then-revolutionary graphics.

Timelessness has nothing to do with it. Birth of a Nation is still considered one of the most significant films ever made.

Although I find SA1's presence in this gallery to be baffling.

Edited by Ekaje

Sonic Adventure and Shenmue were both added from DC actually.

It's funny, I think Sonic 2 is a lot more iconic. That would seem like a more fitting piece to be considered 'art' to me, for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny, I think Sonic 2 is a lot more iconic. That would seem like a more fitting piece to be considered 'art' to me, for some reason.

That wasn't part of the same "era" as SA was voted in on.

sagraphics.png

I just lost it and started laughing, can't stop either. That face is just..... Wow.

Yeah because horribly made virtual fishing, bad collision detection, boring item collecting, horrid voice acting, and many other flaws, deserve a great spot in a museum.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Since I'm in the mood to drag another thread into the ground...

Badmouth Sonic CD: Get up-voted.

Badmouth Sonic Adventure: Get down-voted.

No bias here, no siree!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

No bias here, no siree!

Fix'd. I disagree with Earthworm Jim being better than CD (I tried out the HD version and found it to be absolutely dreadful), but I didn't want to down-vote anyone simply for having a different opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

No bias here, no siree!

EDIT: Misread post.

Edited by Schismatist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm worried about the implication here that art must be technically perfect to be fit for a gallery.

Anyhoo, I can easily see Sonic Adventure being there for historical reasons, and in that context I don't mind its inclusion at all. Besides, it's fun watching modern Sonic get some lurve nowadays. tongue.gif

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

At first I was gonna say that compared to a lot of other Sonic games, SA1 is ugly... but that picture proved me wrong.

I mean... just look at it. It's beautiful! This game is truly worthy of being displayed in a museum. I can't believe I was so blind.

It is amazing, isn't it? The lip syncing in general is marvelous.

I'm worried about the implication here that art must be technically perfect to be fit for a gallery.

Anyhoo, I can easily see Sonic Adventure being there for historical reasons, and in that context I don't mind its inclusion at all. Besides, it's fun watching modern Sonic get some lurve nowadays. tongue.gif

Modern? 1998 isn't modern.

Edited by Schismatist

Modern? 1998 isn't modern.

I pretty much consider Sonic Adventure the start of the "modern" era, introducing all of the gameplay elements and ideas and aesthetic decisions that-- for better or worse-- still define current installments today.

• Thumbs Up 2

I pretty much consider Sonic Adventure the start of the "modern" era, introducing all of the gameplay elements and ideas and aesthetic decisions that-- for better or worse-- still define current installments today.

Honestly, the only simularites that I really notice when comparing Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, is 3D, platforming, and Sonic. Sonic Adventure did nothing more than bring Sonic into the 3D realm to me, I honestly think if Sonic Unleashed, a game hated by many, was released as Sonic Adventure in 1998, it would be praised just as Sonic Adventure was.