Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

I have only played the DS version, and I don't find it boring at all. I find it quite fun, and after all, it was the game that got me back into the series.

I don't find Sonic Colors boring in the slightest. In all honesty its my favorite Sonic game of all time, and the only game to make me

literally shed a tear because something was beautiful.

The fact that I've spent 60+ hours on it is a testament to just how much I love Sonic Colors.

I enjoyed Colors a lot, probably because of how well the gimmick was implemented.

Also, Jim Sterling is a troll. That means that he makes shit reviews in order to gain attention to his site.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I've been wondering this for a while. I've enjoyed Colors very much, it takes the daytime stages from Unleashed and makes them better, I also enjoyed the Wisp Power-Ups, but whenever I ask anybody about Colors, they say "It sucks.", "Doesn't make any sense", "Not as fast-paced as Unleashed" and my least favorite "Eggman wasn't even acting like a true bad guy in this like he did in Unleashed.". Why would somebody say the last one? He was absorbing Alien Power to brain-wash the whole universe into being his mindless slaves. The fast-paced one I agree with, but I was happy about it, it was alot more platforming than speed, so I was happy. They also say the theme song was horrid, and I was thinking "What the heck, I enjoyed Colors theme song, possibly one of my favorite songs in the series."

Edited by Future-Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love Sonic Colors. It's one of my favorite games in the franchise in fact.

Eggman in particular was at his best in Colors. He was the main villain, the final boss, the big bad. And for a home console game, that's something he hadn't been able to claim in a long time before then. Even aside from his final boss status, the Doc hams it up throughout the whole game with his PA announcements and hilarious cutscenes with Orbot and Cubot. This game was made with Dr. Eggman in mind.

And I love it for that~ <3

• Thumbs Up 2

I have yet to play Colors in it's entirety, but I assume it's because there were too many blocky platforming sections instead of more thoughtful level design. That, and about 60-70% of the game was 2D, leaving the actual 3D parts in the lesser percentile range.

Not much of a 3D Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have yet to play Colors in it's entirety, but I assume it's because there were too many blocky platforming sections instead of more thoughtful level design. That, and about 60-70% of the game was 2D, leaving the actual 3D parts in the lesser percentile range.

Not much of a 3D Sonic game.

I liked it, even if it was blocky, I liked the 2d platforming, and the wisps really saved the game. I love this game, I just love Generations more.

Its a very boring game after a while when you realize half the game is in 2D.

I've realized that a long time ago. I still think it's fun.

• Thumbs Up 7

Colors was definitely a great game. One of my favorites. After getting somewhat disappointed with Generations, I decided to watch a video of Aquarium Park act 1 last night (in glorious HD), and I was stunned with how the game looked. It was spectacular. Everything had so much depth! The 2D platforming sections (a majority of the game) bended and twisted and weren't just a straight path.

Sonic Colors is one of my favorite Sonic games ever, and it's the perfect blend of everything I like about Sonic. The Wisps were a great change of pace, and I loved the Eggman Sim multiplayer mode, although I wish it incorparated an online mode, which would've surely added to the longevity of the game. While I would've preferred a bit more 3D, what we got was fun. I also appreciated the addition of a double jump, which helped out in some tricky platforming sections.

I really want a 3DS port of Colors, with an added online multiplayer mode in the Sonic Sim, as well as incorparating a race mode, and a few more sim levels. Will it happen? Probably not. But if it's just the Wii version with a few more levels and online thrown in, for a full $40 price tag, then I'd buy it. Besides, the kids looking for a new game could choose between the $30 home console version with better graphics, and the $40 portable version with a nice online mode.

Anyway, I loved Colors more than Generations, although I do wish there were some Generations-esque 3D platforming sections.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally love the game myself. I think the level design is great and the wisps add some depth to the overall gameplay.

I also think Unleashed is "okay". I don't think it's as great as everyone else around here says it is. Most of the time it was a linear as hell-boost fest pit-stravaganza with a lot of cheap deaths. And then there was the Werehog...

Of course, to those of us who like 2D gameplay, this isn't a bad thing by any means.

This.

I love Colors because I like 2D gameplay, if you don't like 2D gameplay, chances are you won't love Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, i too count myslef to those who think the 2D sections of Colors were the best parts of the game.

All things considered, i really like Colors. If it weren't for the fact that Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Retruns came out the same year, it would possibly have been my favorite game of the year. I do have my own personal gripes with the game however, one being the narrative, and the other being the fact that im not fond of the boost. But like i said, a really fun game nontheless.

I like it fine, and I consider it as being *the* game that got Sonic fully back on his feet again. I don't think I liked it as much as I hoped I would, though. I was expecting Colors to be the true successor to Unleashed's day levels, so I actually am dissappointed that the vast majority of the gameplay is in 2D. The 3D sections that actually do exist never give me that same thrill or excitement Unleashed gave me; the rest of the game is slower platforming that focuses on the Wisps. If Sonic Unleashed can be thought of as Sonic Rush in 3D, then Sonic Colors is a blockier version of Sonic 1.

But even if it's not what I expected, there's nothing wrong with Sonic 1 smile.png (Blocky-ness or not)

And unlike a lot of people here, I really like the writing. I find most of the jokes to be worth a chuckle or two, and it doesn't take itself seriously. It's a breath of fresh air after the super-serious convoluted bullshit seen in Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog, that's for sure.

Edited by Speederino

Generations itself is more 2D than 3D considering that classic takes up half the gameplay and modern's sections are littered with 2D, which I found to be okay but incredibly redundant.

By the way, there are quite a lot of topics about whether Colors is hated or not, so I'm going to merge this with one.

Its a very boring game after a while when you realize half the game is in 2D.

Honestly, it was more like 70%. Probably more. The 3D sections besides Asteroid Coaster's space sections were basically corridors.

Cool, I didn't know you could merge topics, but you must be careful of you'll accidentally create a demonic topic full of trolls, crazy shadow fans and whatever memes are...

Back on topic I loved Colours too. I don't see why mostly having 2D sections makes it boring. Nintendo proved that 2D platforming games can still be freakin' awesome. Not to mention it was so very funny. ^-^

Great, now i feel forced to go through this entire thread and make sure that i didn't say anything in the past that completely contradicts what i said about 20 minutes ago, so that i dont come of as a schizophrenic hypocrite. rolleyes.gif

Looks back through thread, first page:

Colors was good, but it wasn't the best.

This game man. This. Game. I pushed and fought for this game soo hard in the days leading up to release, even against the ridicule of non-Sonic fans on other forums. I bought the DS version, and then forked over for a Wii and the wii version of Colors.

To put it shortly, I was disappointed.

Now, I probably shouldn't have, but having really enjoyed Unleashed HD, I was expecting pretty much something similar to that, but obviously scaled back for being a Wii release. Nope, what I got was a game that pretty much played it too safe and held itself back way too much. The wisps were great additions, but there wasn't nearly enough 3D sections, and the platforming was also decent, but it was way too slow and it felt like I was playing a Mario game with a Sonic skin. Any feeling of exhilaration from Unleashed just wasn't brought over to this game, and what I got was pretty much comparable to drinking soda without the fizz.

And don't even get me started on the length of the levels. I'd rather take 2 or 3 acts of decent length than 6 stages where you can already hear the goal ring chime at the start of some of said stages.

Also, people often criticize Unleashed for it's automated segments, well, here's what I have to say to that: Starlight Carnival, act 1, first 15 seconds. That's all.

Yeah, pretty ok with this. People have to understand though that even if it's not the game I was hoping it to be, I really do love Colors, it's just not my #1 favorite Sonic game ever of all time. (of all time) Don't see how that equals hate.

Also

Because opinions.

There's no conspiracy. There's no bandwagon. And people's views are capable of changing over time.

Edited by 'Ferno

My stance on Colors hasn't really changed at all. I enjoyed it quite a lot when I first went through it, but I don't think it's without its problems and I don't even think it's better than Sonic Unleashed. Let alone Sonic Generations.

The problem with the game is that it simply doesn't have that lasting appeal and reasons to go back and play it over and over. It's unbelievably short and it's severely lacking in content and replay value. There are the Red Star Rings sure, but the reward for getting them is, quite honestly, pretty shit and not even really worth your time.

The Wisp powers are fun at first but the majority of them become incredibly monotonous after using them the first few times. After the novelty wears off, I found myself kind of moaning in disgust at a lot of the times that I was being forced to use them in order to complete a section. Cube is boring. Rocket is boring. Frenzy controls like shit. Laser is fun to watch, but completely strips control away from the player when you use it. All in all most of them kinda suck in one way or another.

Wisps are the main reason I think Aquarium Park is so awful. For me, it's easily the worst stage in the entire game and is the perfect example of everything I don't like in Sonic Colors. 'Good music' be damned. Can you even say that you heard the Aquarium Park theme music that much while actually playing the game? The main song I remember hearing was the stupid underwater Drill theme. Yeah, fun times.

The Wisp powers kill the flow of the gameplay and are annoyingly redundant, the level design is generally weak and too focused on 2D gameplay and the few portions of the game that are in a 3D perspective require little to no input from the actual player and are just an excuse to show off how good the game looks. It's rather irksome.

I like 2D gameplay. I really do. It was one of my favorite parts of the Unleashed formula. At the end of the day tho' this is supposed to be a fucking 3D Sonic game so I want to be able to fully control Sonic in 3D. Not just dick around boosting and Quick Stepping for 30 seconds or so in what's basically a mini-game and then go back to mashing on the Wisp transformation button in 2D sections.

Speaking of mini-games.. That's how a lot of the later acts for certain stages felt to me. It's like Sonic Team only really felt arsed to create one or two halfway decent full acts for each stage and then decided that Acts 3 through 6 should just be silly, one minute or less snooze-fests centered around a single a gimmick and call it a day.

They even have the nerve to make them mandatory to play before getting access to the boss level and subsequently the next stage. It's like Generations' Challenge Acts if you had to play all of them for a single Sonic before getting a boss key for a level. ..Not really that fun.

The boss battles weren't really all that memorable either outside of the very last one. I seriously don't remember a single one other than the Egg Nega Wisp. Maybe it's because those were all 2D and the whole game is just a massive blur of rather uninspired 2D sections. Hahaha.

It really may seem like I hate this game, but really.. I don't. Thing is, Colors is far from perfect and I think it's perfectly understandable why people would enjoy playing Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations more. I prefer those games over Colors too.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will say right now that I never played Unleashed HD, but honestly that shit shouldn't matter, ive seen playthrough of the whole thing and I really don't think playing it will change my opinion on it that much, other than my thoughts on the controls or whatever.

To me, Sonic Unleashed looks extremely shallow.

It LOOKS awesome to play, and it can very well be on the first couple of plays. But after awhile it just gets old because your basically doing the same thing for each stage over and over again.

There is barely and level design that isnt linear or shallow, my sole examples are the 3D platforming in Chun nan, Adabat, and Eggmanland. And even those don't last to long.

Every fucking second you're boosting BOOST BOOST BOOST, 2D and 3D. There is never a moment to stop and breath or do any intelligent platforming.

Need I mention that the Sonic levels are about 30-40% of the game? The rest is Hubworlds, Werehog, and the various Tornado missions, and town sidequests. Whether the Werehog is good or not is irrelevant, it does not belong in a Sonic game and that is not what I want to play when I BUY a Sonic game. The Hubworlds just felt like useless padding to make the game longer, not to mention that Sonic controls like shit in them, perfectly exemplyfing why Sonic designed for nothing but going really REALLY fast. The Tornado missions were shit, nothing but a QTEfest (another problem that plagues this game), id rather play the SA1 version, at least I can CONTROL the plane. The bosses sucked, it was basically the recolor of the Mazuri boss 2 more times. (yes I know Colors is guilty of this as well, but at least it has 3 unique bosses and recolors, not just 1)

The final boss is just awful, the only actual gameplay comes from Sonic being attached to a stupid sheild ramming into tentacles, the rest is just button mashing and even more QTEs.

As you can see, im not very fond of Unleashed at all, it just all flash and no substance imo

Colors is the exact opposite, good substance but very little flash which in this case, is alright in my book. The level design is mostly 2D yeah, but at least im not constantly boosting or taking the same exact path every time I play the level. The wisp add variety and keep the gameplay fresh, yes there are some duds (like the cube or frenzy), but they are fun for the most part.

The game is short, but that's fine, id rather play a 4-5 hour good game, than a 8-11 hour subpar one.

Not to mention that the final boss is actually good, and is very fun.

I could explain some more, but I think that's enough.This is the main bulk of my reasons why I think Colors is better than Unleashed in everyway (except maybe in music).

And I know this is old but...

Also, people often criticize Unleashed for it's automated segments, well, here's what I have to say to that: Starlight Carnival, act 1, first 15 seconds. That's all.
  • Thumbs Up 1