Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

Gonna play Devil's Advocate for a bit:

Need I mention that the Sonic levels are about 30-40% of the game?
Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Note the bold because conceptually he is a flaming piece of shit, but that is a whole different subject entirely. But anyway, yeah.. "I like less than half of the game so that means that it's a bad game" etc etc can be applied to other Sonic games too. People just don't think to question those games at all. XP

What Colors lacked in the amount of arcade-centric level design that Unleashed provides, it more than made up for the actual experience. In that very regard, Generations is a game that takes the replayability of Unleashed while taking the solid and consistent tone of Sonic Colors.

The most important thing I dwell into a game looking for is the experience, and what Unleashed completely lacked in that front due to a terrible sense of design and pacing, Colors made up for this and made it consistently enjoyable from start to the end for me. I have not put in as many hours as I have Unleashed because the level designs don't allow nearly the same amount of thrill and replayability, but Colors is ultimately still the better game for me. I've thought this since I first played it, and it hasn't changed ever since. Egoraptor made a pretty good analogy in his Sequelitis video where he compared Castlevania 1 and the evolving concept spawned in Castlevania 2 to the idea of snack food vs high class desert. One is addictive by nature while the other is so good that while you might be left wanting more, you're glad you had it and it left you with a sense of true satisfaction.

This is kind of a moot point because people love the Adventure games and the ratio is just about the same.

This is of course assuming that there isn't outspoken animosity towards the Adventure games on these boards or elsewhere nowadays, which there is.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is, but I think you'd find it hard to say that is it to the same level as with the Werehog which is my point.

You can apply the exact same logic to some of the most loved and well-received Sonic games ever made. People just seem to ignore this fact. I find it amusing and I felt the need to mention it.

People hate Colours? I haven't noticed that... Though a lot of non-fans, critics etc. seem to forget it existed. Colours was amazing, I struggled with it at first, and still think the limitations of the Wii drag it down, but it's a hell of a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really enjoyed Colors as well. I am not sure if I have posted in this thread previously, but I can say I thought it was a very well designed and fun game. I have a few quibbles with it, like how exploration is cut off by invisible walls that form behind you which happens more frequently than it should, and the 3D sections weren't anything special, but I loved the design of the game, the music, the aesthetics, and how it all came together for a rather fun experience. I am also happy to say almost all my quibbles with Colors were resolved in Generations. But I believe Colors does a few things better than Generations, though I have come to love Generations overall more. I will say I am very much loving the new direction of Sonic, and Sonic Colors holds a special place in my heart.

I have yet to play Colors in it's entirety, but I assume it's because there were too many blocky platforming sections instead of more thoughtful level design. That, and about 60-70% of the game was 2D, leaving the actual 3D parts in the lesser percentile range.

This. I love 2D gameplay - when it's well designed. It's just a dull experience in Colours, while the 3D sections mostly consist of boosting. It was fun the first time around but there's nothing to bring me back, not even much of a story.

Yeah I think it was the best overall Sonic game in ages...but...that's not much of statement.

I've lately seen more hate towards the Adventure games than Colors, and those are the games people tend to call "overrated." I dont see many who hate the game in general but I know a lot who hate the story. People (such as myself) was just expectng more from the story. And no, that doesn't mean we hate lighthearted tones and want "dark, serious" story.

Because when Colors first came out, you said that you hated the game and people will call you every name in the book. Now that's it's just another Sonic game, it's okay to hate it now. And:

Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Colors imo

Sonic Unleashed in a nutshell.

BOOST BOOST BOOST JUMP TRICK OSHIT A RANDOM BOTTOMLESS PIT JUMP BOOST BOOST END OF STAGE YAY!

Give me Sonic Generations or even Sonic Colors any day!

I'll be honest. I HATE Colors. Yup, hate. You give me a copy of that game and I will burn it.

Colors was the most boring and disappointing Sonic game I ever played. Not to mention, I was one of those people who hyped the game up. I watched every trailer, fawned over the commercial, read reviews, played it at Comic-Con, played it at the pre-release event in Bryant Park, I made sure to buy it as soon as I could and I did.

And how was it?

Okay. Decent. Passable. Average.

Was it a bad game? No. It wasn't glitchy, broken, too short, and had some great ideas.

But it was absolutely boring. No Sonic game needs 40+ levels of running. That can work in Mario, but NOT in this series. Why? It becomes tedious, especially when some levels last between 30 seconds to one and a half minutes. While sitting there I waited for the moment when this game would sell me. Unleashed sold me as soon as I had hit Windmill Isle. At that time Sonic and I were on bad terms and when I found myself speeding along in Apotos I was thrilled. Mind you, I expected NOTHING from Unleashed. Absolutely nothing. But, that game brought Sonic back for me.

However Colors was just so mediocre that I couldn't enjoy it. I don't dislike 2D platforming, but the platforming was just so not Sonic like that it took away from the gameplay. I'm running for one moment and then I'm halted to jump over a series of blocks or A STUPID ASS LEVEL SCROLLING YELLOW SPRING. I don't care what anyone says, that shit DID NOT belong in Sonic. Neither did this:

I'm sorry, but if I want this I'll play Mario.

Other nitpicks involve the music (though Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp had was pleasant themes... Starlight Carnival and Reach for the Stars are travesties) and the multiplayer.

But again, it's not a terrible game and I can see why people like it. But I'll never play it again. Unless it's the DS version. That was quite enjoyable and I would totally go for playing that!

For the record, I sold my copy of Colors Wii to pay for Generations. Great move.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be honest. I HATE Colors. Yup, hate. You give me a copy of that game and I will burn it.

Colors was the most boring and disappointing Sonic game I ever played. Not to mention, I was one of those people who hyped the game up. I watched every trailer, fawned over the commercial, read reviews, played it at Comic-Con, played it at the pre-release event in Bryant Park, I made sure to buy it as soon as I could and I did.

And how was it?

Okay. Decent. Passable. Average.

Was it a bad game? No. It wasn't glitchy, broken, too short, and had some great ideas.

But it was absolutely boring. No Sonic game needs 40+ levels of running. That can work in Mario, but NOT in this series. Why? It becomes tedious, especially when some levels last between 30 seconds to one and a half minutes. While sitting there I waited for the moment when this game would sell me. Unleashed sold me as soon as I had hit Windmill Isle. At that time Sonic and I were on bad terms and when I found myself speeding along in Apotos I was thrilled. Mind you, I expected NOTHING from Unleashed. Absolutely nothing. But, that game brought Sonic back for me.

However Colors was just so mediocre that I couldn't enjoy it. I don't dislike 2D platforming, but the platforming was just so not Sonic like that it took away from the gameplay. I'm running for one moment and then I'm halted to jump over a series of blocks or A STUPID ASS LEVEL SCROLLING YELLOW SPRING. I don't care what anyone says, that shit DID NOT belong in Sonic. Neither did this:

I'm sorry, but if I want this I'll play Mario.

Other nitpicks involve the music (though Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp had was pleasant themes... Starlight Carnival and Reach for the Stars are travesties) and the multiplayer.

But again, it's not a terrible game and I can see why people like it. But I'll never play it again. Unless it's the DS version. That was quite enjoyable and I would totally go for playing that!

For the record, I sold my copy of Colors Wii to pay for Generations. Great move.

I played the DS version and thought it was... crappy...

When it was first released, I only liked Colours a little more than Unleashed. It certainly lacked Unleashed's sense of raw, blistering speed and the scope and sense of exploration afforded by its hubs, and there were definitely some issues with the segregated quick-step and drifting segments and the recycled bosses. It was incredibly pretty, though, and it had one of my favourite soundtracks in the entire series. The Wisps were a lot of fun to mess around with and I didn't mind the blocky "Mario-like" platforming at all. There were obviously a few trade-offs, but on the whole I felt like Colours was the superior game by a small margin.

...then recently, at the height of my rabid Generations hype, I went back and replayed Unleashed from scratch. I was expecting to fall in love with it all over again, but... honestly, I was kind of disappointed, and I started to appreciate Colours a lot more by comparison. Maybe it was because I'd done it all before, but I didn't find much joy in hunting for collectibles, and interacting with the NPCs became an outright chore after a while (although that's more my fault for being obsessive-compulsive about it than the game's). The levels had very few special features to make them memorable and keep them distinct from each other, and most of them dragged on for just a little too long. The Werehog levels were more boring than outright bad, but they certainly didn't compel me, and the final boss was an absolute mess. As I played, I found myself longing for Colours' bite-sized levels, bright colours, fun gimmicks and (comparatively) consistent gameplay. And lack of QTEs. And the best final boss in a decade and a half. F'rllz.

So yeah. Colours definitely has its flaws, but I love it to death. Maybe all it takes to entertain me is bright colours and pretty sounds and a dude screaming AMAZING! a lot; I dunno.

All this talk about Colors makes me really wish Sega would re-release it for the PS3, but that's not gonna happen.

My only other option would be to get another Wii, but that's not gonna happen either, thanks to money woes...

So after I discovered that my computer can actually handle this at barely above 60% speed, I've been having a go at Colors for the first time.

Funnily enough I'm having a lot of fun with it despite it being nothing what I want out of either a 3D or 2D Sonic game.

6 Zones * 6 Levels in those zones=36 Levels.

so if the levels are short people complain. game has MORE levels and people still complain. Logic?

I find the 6-act system preferable to the missions. Can drag on a little when trying to complete a zone in one sitting, though. Probably the one time in a Sonic game I'm thankful that multiple stages are selectable at once.

so if the levels are short people complain. game has MORE levels and people still complain. Logic?

More?

The extra acts range from either pointless, to just plain tedious, and when you do find one that's actually fun, they are usually over in a minute at most.

I'd rather have 2 expansive levels than 6+ Levels with most being a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do find when I play Colours (I'm one of those people who buys a game and then replays levels/chapters for years afterwards, particularly with Sonic, hell I still play SA2 today and I originally got it at launch) I mainly just do the first couple of acts in each world, with one or two act 3/4s here and there, because, yeah, a lot of the extra acts are tedious and slow platforming missions. I particularly disliked the ones with the spring platforms that followed you. They were good platform challenges but they just didn't feel like Sonic to me. The Werehog was more Sonic in spirit than those levels, what I mean by that is the Werehog is over the top action, and that's always been Sonic's thing aside from speed, whilst some of the Colours later acts are very slow moving.

For the most part though it's an amazing game! I personally prefer Unleashed for it's sheer level of epicness but that's subjective; objectively there's no denying Colours is a more solid and well made game.

eboni is totally right to say 'if I want this I'll play Mario', that's what I was saying about Colours all along. Between the 'Sonic-like' parts, the platforming is very flat and blocky, 'tiled', which I'm fine with now since Generations gets these right and we know the series isn't going to carry on doing platforming the Colours way, but at the time when Colours was the apparent future of Sonic, it was quite a disappointment to be slowly jumping between tiled blocks and all that.

The other problem for me was that the sections which DID feel like Sonic were often actually automated. I thought I was causing him to go around the windy, twisty sections but it wasn't long before I noticed that if I let go of the controls he just sort of carried on those sections all by himself. The whole opening section of Starlight Carnival might as well have been a cut-scene. Sure, it wouldn't have been possible to accurately navigate him through that part with the camera working the way it does, but SA2 had plenty of sections like that where simply holding up would do the trick, and letting go would cause him to stop and, if on a ceiling, fall.

• Thumbs Up 2