Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

Quick Add on to my last post...The grinding in Green Hill Zone and the way it was delivered was more exciting than any grinding I saw in Colors. Which tells you a lot.

I actually forgot there was grinding in Colours. >.<

I remember colors being praised very much, but it seems like this website is the only place where I get disagreements when I say colors was a big improvement upon sonic unleashed. Not it said much because they can do even better.... I mean... they can right?

I remember colors being praised very much, but it seems like this website is the only place where I get disagreements when I say colors was a big improvement upon sonic unleashed. Not it said much because they can do even better.... I mean... they can right?

Of course they can do better than Colours, they did Unleashed right? :P

Nah, I know very well it's heavily devided both here and on other sites, I saw a thread dedicated to this debate on Sonic Retro as well.

I hated that you only got rings when you got a hit on Robotnik, with an on-rails that's just brutally evil. Also, homing attack sometimes were too slow to allow an hit.

Really? I thought that was a good way of balancing out the difficulty. Without it, I think the boss fight would've been too easy. Ohwell, to each their own. c:

Really? I thought that was a good way of balancing out the difficulty. Without it, I think the boss fight would've been too easy. Ohwell, to each their own. c:

It would have been fine if the controls were good I guess, to me it just bothered me since I always ended up dying on either blocks or on spikes due to forced double-jumping.

Oh, and once I got stuck in an impossible Blcok+Laser combo that I couldn't do anything about... DEATH!

It would have been fine if the controls were good I guess, to me it just bothered me since I always ended up dying on either blocks or on spikes due to forced double-jumping.

Yeah, I will admit the controls don't really feel natural. I was able to get used to them myself, but I suppose that not everyone can. Ohwell, good luck in kicking that boss' ass in any case. XD;

Yeah, I will admit the controls don't really feel natural. I was able to get used to them myself, but I suppose that not everyone can. Ohwell, good luck in kicking that boss' ass in any case. XD;

Oh I have, didn't I say that? :P

I did after about 14 extra lives or so... D-Rank...

Oh I have, didn't I say that? :P

I did after about 14 extra lives or so... D-Rank...

Ah apologies. I thought you said something about not finishing the game yet. Must've misread herp. XD;

Ah apologies. I thought you said something about not finishing the game yet. Must've misread herp. XD;

Nah, finished it yesterday. But I haven't gotten all the red rings yet, trying to do that now.

I don't hate Colors. It's a very good game compared to for example Sonic Heroes. It has it's fun time but compared to Unleashed it gets realy boring after a while.

At Unleashed I get kind of an adrenaline rush. If you take shortcuts, made it perfectly through a tough place... and just the speed! I luv the SPEED! :P It's like I sometimes get addicted to it.

I don't hate Colors. It's a very good game compared to for example Sonic Heroes. It has it's fun time but compared to Unleashed it gets realy boring after a while.

At Unleashed I get kind of an adrenaline rush. If you take shortcuts, made it perfectly through a tough place... and just the speed! I luv the SPEED! :P It's like I sometimes get addicted to it.

So is being beaten by a hammer. :P

Of course they can do better than Colours, they did Unleashed right? :P

So is being beaten by a hammer. :P

If you're going to put down Colours non-stop, at least admit that you just don't like it rather than say "I like it but it gets too much praise!"

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you're going to put down Colours non-stop, at least admit that you just don't like it rather than say "I like it but it gets too much praise!"

Ehm, Hammer quote was about Heroes. I even gave Colours a 7.5 in my review, I like it.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, mind you I liked Unleashed but I want to twist this on people a bit.

You guys all enjoyed Werehog stages that could take 30+ minutes that featured the same formula, Platform, Battle (with Jazz Music), Puzzle, Battle (with Jazz Music), Platform, Battle (with Jazz Music), Puzzle, Battle (with Jazz Music)... Over and over through several stages where you had to solve such exciting puzzles such as turning switches and moving item from place to place at sluggish speeds (WAY to slow for a Sonic game) and balancing on beams over chasms. But Sonic's stages were where it's at, right? Boost-Fest where all you do is tap left and right to progress and occasionally flashy stuff happen on time. Press a button and your television explodes with you barely controlling, lot's of moments where you're in no control of your character just for it to be flashy, and most of the gameplay involved around drifting, tapping left and right, boosting, and homing attacks. The challenging parts are almost always trial-and-error, and most of the shortcuts are only found through trial and error as well. All Unleashed daytime is is a bunch of Quick-Time Events, whenever it be timing a jump correctly when racing by, timing a home attack correctly, timing tapping left and right correctly, to actual QTE events that litter the game on ramps, events, and gameplay moments. To progress and add some sort of depth they make you go on scavenger hunts to collect medals by playing the same stages over and over or taking them slowly. Hub worlds consist of all of three actions, talking with random people that have nothing to say, collecting items like fruit juice or more medals or a painting, and getting an upgrade item to solve a small "puzzle" to get to the next stage, who's solution is almost always directly linked to the upgrade item you need to play the stage. Then we got RPG-upgradable Sonic to try and add some depth even if the whole system was obviously made to give Werehog stats as Sonic has a total of two things to upgrade, to go faster and boost longer.

I actually like Unleashed, but it is a severely flawed experience that appeals completely on Sonic's gameplay-side on flashy moments and reaction-time. The game has a lot of fat it doesn't need, and while I do enjoy the depth of the game I feel this depth could be distributed in other ways. It definitely had a higher budget, was more epic, and did some things better than Colors, but Colors was much more well rounded than Unleashed could ever hope to be and is recognized by many because it doesn't add a bunch of crap that isn't needed in a Sonic game. To clarify, I am purposely being a bit harsh above but at the same time none of what I said is untrue. Unleashed day stages mainly were completely-based (in about 80%-90% of the time in gameplay) on reaction-time, Werehog was way to slow for a Sonic game and involved the same formula only slightly expanding from stage to stage, the whole game tried to add depth with some big scavenger hunt, and the RPG elements were to try and add depth to where such depth was not needed in the first place and mainly are there to try and add things to split up gameplay. And then add in a bunch of QTEs.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hype ages. Same thing happened with Unleashed. You're able to convince yourself that just about every game you look forward to is good for at least a few minutes. Or days if you're good enough.

Except I still prefer Colors over Unleashed, and the more I think of Unleashed the more shallow and boring it is than I remember it to be.

People hate Sonic Colors?

News to me but yeah opinions mostly I for one think it's one of the better Sonic games to come out in reacent years and I'm one of the people who didn't hate Heroes and Shadow, in fact I've yet to find a Sonic game I genuinely hate (Note: I haven't played 06).

There's only three things I don't like about Colours. Namely the tossed-away plot points (Such as no gravity being given to Yacker's dissappearance) and much of Sonic's characterization and a touch of Tails' written lines and the limited replayability given the shortness and sheer linearity of most missions. Super Sonic isn't exactly brilliant either and he ruins the soundtrack :/

But that said, I think it's excellent. Short but excellent. The soundtrack is simply a masterpiece and it's clever how the Wisp Forms have simple mechanics but require thought, such as thinking before launching Cyan Laser or using Blue Cube or Pink Spikes cleverly. And as for the graphics, well, if only Wii Unleashed looked like Colours....

There's only three things I don't like about Colours. Namely the tossed-away plot points (Such as no gravity being given to Yacker's dissappearance) and much of Sonic's characterization and a touch of Tails' written lines and the limited replayability given the shortness and sheer linearity of most missions. Super Sonic isn't exactly brilliant either and he ruins the soundtrack :/

But that said, I think it's excellent. Short but excellent. The soundtrack is simply a masterpiece and it's clever how the Wisp Forms have simple mechanics but require thought, such as thinking before launching Cyan Laser or using Blue Cube or Pink Spikes cleverly. And as for the graphics, well, if only Wii Unleashed looked like Colours....

I liked Tails dialogue actually, as for Yacker. Well I thought he disappeared because Robotnik had turned him Nega, but now that you mention it... They never did say why.

Anyway, I booted up Sonic Colours just now, and I think I've found one good complaint that noone can disagree on.

It's very short. I beat the game in four hours, and I'm not even good at the game.

I don't mind it being short as it means it doesn't necessarily out-stay it's welcome.

Most Sonic games were never really that long anyway, and those that were relied mostly on cheap padding or excuses to re-run a very similar campaign with a different character.

It's not that everyone hates Colors, it's just that the Unleashed fans have suddenly become louder than ever. They're also coming out of the woodwork more now that we're seeing Generations.

IMO Colors is better by a great longshot, and not just because of a proper utilization of Super Sonic. Granted, that is a HUGE reason why it's better, but not the whole story.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate saying stuff like this cause I reaaaalllllyyyyyy like colors even if I liked unleashed a bit more(after a while that is). Unleashed and colors simply did things better than eachother....I think people are missunderstanding about both sides a bit.

Awhile ago i mentioned that Sonic is a game that is both platforming and speed...not seperated..but done at the same time to give flow...even if unleashed had "less" platforming...even if it had more trail and error momenets unleashed has better flow that to me reminds me of what Sonic is all about.

But to be honest I think the watered down experiance of the game that is colors is due to just the system is on....thats why I am very hopefull of generation...i think they might be able to deliver a balance properly. My fear of Colors is that a lot of people love Sonic for many diffrent reasons,but I dont want Sonic to feel like mario personally. The answer is to provide spectacle will also providing depth.

Neither games were perfect...so lets hope that generatons becomes the title that untites both sides of the daytime gameplay argument..there is enough seperation in this fanbase

Sonic Unleashed is a pure adrealine rush that puts your reflexes to the test.

Sonic Colours is a gigantic playground for you to run around and experiment with.

My ideal Sonic game is both.

I'm not hopeful that Generations will improve the Unleashed gameplay at all, mostly because so far the 3D sections look more linear than ever in order to make the difference between Classic and Modern a lot more apparent, and Colors and Unleashed have entirely different dev teams with entirely different agendas and views on how to handle 3D Sonic gameplay. In fact I'm more inclined to believe that the lack of 3D sections in Colors was mostly thanks to the inclusion of Wisps, not hardware limitations, since we've seen the Storybook team design a good chunk of cool levels in Secret Rings and Black Knight that could probably be given full control without on-rails control and still be pretty awesome.

As for the modern gameplay for Generations, it will probably be fun but the most I think I'll be remembering from it is again holding the boost button.

Edited by Carbo

I'm not hopeful that Generations will improve the Unleashed gameplay at all, mostly because so far the 3D sections look more linear than ever in order to make the difference between Classic and Modern a lot more apparent, and Colors and Unleashed have entirely different dev teams with entirely different agendas and views on how to handle 3D Sonic gameplay. In fact I'm more inclined to believe that the lack of 3D sections in Colors was mostly thanks to the inclusion of Wisps, not hardware limitations, since we've seen the Storybook team design a good chunk of cool levels in Secret Rings and Black Knight that could probably be given full control without on-rails control and still be pretty awesome.

As for the modern gameplay for Generations, it will probably be fun but the most I think I'll be remembering from it is again holding the boost button.

we shall see..(ill get more in-depthwhat i am trying to say when i get off from work...on my phone right now lol)

although it has been said already that there was no "storybook team" it seems after unleashed Sonic Team became 1 group. People who did unleashed were working on colors. The Red Rings are even back.

Even if he is somewhat of an idiot as long as we have Iz gloating about his work the better the games will get. Even if he is crazy he did give us colors...so far he doing a good job.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, mind you I liked Unleashed but I want to twist this on people a bit.

Challenge Accepted.

You guys all enjoyed Werehog stages that could take 30+ minutes that featured the same formula, Platform, Battle (with Jazz Music), Puzzle, Battle (with Jazz Music), Platform, Battle (with Jazz Music), Puzzle, Battle (with Jazz Music)... Over and over through several stages where you had to solve such exciting puzzles such as turning switches and moving item from place to place at sluggish speeds (WAY to slow for a Sonic game) and balancing on beams over chasms.

You're looking at an idiot who got mild enjoyment outta '06 of all things. Compared to that glitchy mess, the Werehog was fine. I know it's not Sonic gameplay like, at all, but I always looked at it as it's own thing when I played it, and it was rather enjoyable. The platforming was good, and yeah, there was beat 'em up section after beat 'em up section, but after you power up with exp it's not so bad as they can be done with quickly.

And 30+ minutes? While this could be true for one or two stages, it never took me that long, or maybe it just didn't seem to, as there was no time counter in the werehog stages, as there wasn't much of an emphasis on time as the hedgehog stages. Unlike most here, who're all "1-2 minutes is fine, and maybe 3 if I'm feelin a lil wild n' crazay~" I like the sense of scale and the challenging feeling that comes from playing long stages, especially as normal Sonic. This is why I love Adabat, and even Eggmanland.

But Sonic's stages were where it's at, right? Boost-Fest where all you do is tap left and right to progress and occasionally flashy stuff happen on time. Press a button and your television explodes with you barely controlling, lot's of moments where you're in no control of your character just for it to be flashy, and most of the gameplay involved around drifting, tapping left and right, boosting, and homing attacks. The challenging parts are almost always trial-and-error, and most of the shortcuts are only found through trial and error as well. All Unleashed daytime is is a bunch of Quick-Time Events, whenever it be timing a jump correctly when racing by, timing a home attack correctly, timing tapping left and right correctly, to actual QTE events that litter the game on ramps, events, and gameplay moments.

Ah yeah baby, this was the party right here. It was only a boost-fest if you chose for it to be. There wasn't any part that was like "boost or die" other than the water sections, and on those I was all "holy crap he's running on WATER 8D." Also, yeah there's times where your not in control, lots in fact, but they're evenly spread across the level in few-second segments. I mean, seriously, how do you expect to control Sonic in a thrown-at-you section where the camera changes in an instant without warning for dynamic effect? Didn't Adventure through Sonic '06 get criticized for exactly that? Anyway, those bite-sized automated segments are at least better than a certain level of Colors where you spend the whole start of the level being teased by Sonic on roads of light in space, taunting you by saying "You know you wanna play this heheheh *trollfaec*" And I liked the flashiness. For the first time in ever, I was able to make Sonic do things that you would only see him do in cutscenes, and make him run at speeds and do feats that you would only see him do in the cartoons. It was an awesome feeling that I would like to experience again. And onto the drift and quickstep, they were obviously implemented because of the physics Unleashed had. Without the quick step for example, there's no way Sonic could avoid obstacles he was faced with at the speed he was going, as his wide turning radius wouldn't allow for it, same with the turns. I'll admit, the turns that required the drift were too sharp, so I hope that's fixed, and the homing attack I can't really comment on, because I thought it was fine, and the addition of the crosshairs was brilliant. Also, why do people always act like the classics didn't have their fair share of trial and error? Maybe less so, but it was still there. And the stages aren't a bunch of QTE's, there's plenty of times when you can just stop and enjoy the scenery if you wanted too, and the parts that are QTE's only make you feel more "F*CK YERRR" when you do them correctly, though I do find it annoying the way they handled things like the last Werehog vs Eggman bossbattle. Let's not do that again Sonic team, other than that it's fine.

To progress and add some sort of depth they make you go on scavenger hunts to collect medals by playing the same stages over and over or taking them slowly. Hub worlds consist of all of three actions, talking with random people that have nothing to say, collecting items like fruit juice or more medals or a painting, and getting an upgrade item to solve a small "puzzle" to get to the next stage, who's solution is almost always directly linked to the upgrade item you need to play the stage. Then we got RPG-upgradable Sonic to try and add some depth even if the whole system was obviously made to give Werehog stats as Sonic has a total of two things to upgrade, to go faster and boost longer.

This wasn't all that great, I'll give you that. You win this round. *squints eyes* Though you have to admit that they atleast tried to add depth, I mean, this is the game that came right after '06, the game where you collected medals that did absolutely nothing. Chalk it up to it being unfinished, but still. Also, are getting extras like that really that bad? It was terrible of the S.Team to make it a requirement but still, it's there for completionists I guess and gives you that subconscious feeling of "the option to go back and look for stuff is there if I wanna do that. The game doesn't 'have' to be over now if I don't want it to be."

I actually like Unleashed, but it is a severely flawed experience that appeals completely on Sonic's gameplay-side on flashy moments and reaction-time. The game has a lot of fat it doesn't need, and while I do enjoy the depth of the game I feel this depth could be distributed in other ways. It definitely had a higher budget, was more epic, and did some things better than Colors, but Colors was much more well rounded than Unleashed could ever hope to be and is recognized by many because it doesn't add a bunch of crap that isn't needed in a Sonic game. To clarify, I am purposely being a bit harsh above but at the same time none of what I said is untrue. Unleashed day stages mainly were completely-based (in about 80%-90% of the time in gameplay) on reaction-time, Werehog was way to slow for a Sonic game and involved the same formula only slightly expanding from stage to stage, the whole game tried to add depth with some big scavenger hunt, and the RPG elements were to try and add depth to where such depth was not needed in the first place and mainly are there to try and add things to split up gameplay. And then add in a bunch of QTEs.

Colors may be more rounded in the sense that all it's levels and gameplay are all one thing, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing when you finish the whole main game in a short amount of time on the first run through and don't feel like collecting the red rings for a glorified boost mode. It's almost like Iizuka went "You want a Sonic game with the fat trimmed off? I'll give you a game with the fat trimmed off. Enjoy your 50 dollar 5 hour experience. ):V" As stupid as it sounds, I like all the crazy content in Unleashed. It actually felt like it was worth the money I paid for it and didn't feel like something watered down. And It had a big sense of scale going for it among other things. Another thing... I'm tired of hearing the phrase "stuff that doesn't belong in a Sonic game." I mean geez, I get it. Everyone's still waiting on Sonic 3&K (2) to come out, and you wan't Sonic to stay exactly the same forever. To each their own I guess but I liked the Werehog, and wish Sega would've just made him Knux or something so people would be quiet.

And yeah, maybe I am getting a little more vocal on this subject, but when you're on the opposite side of the fence for what feels like years on something, and all of a sudden your not alone anymore in your view, it tends to give you a confidence boost. I spent years feeling like the only guy who liked and accepted Unleashed on here outside of a few other members, and kept to myself how much I liked it because I didn't feel like being stomped on in a stampede. Now with Generations coming, a few more people coming out of the woodwork saying that Unleashed wasn't so bad, and things seeming to finally become less one-sided around here, some people seem to be going "Wait a minute, what the heck? Get back to universally praising Colors and slagging off Unleashed! *cracks whip* I can't believe you people!" Generations is looking to be like half Unleashed, half classic, but there are people everywhere who won't even be happy unless it reverts back to 100% on the classic side and remains that way forever more. I mean damn, I can't have what I want too? Is this game not for everyone? Am I a low-life because I started my Sonic game career with Heroes and have little emotional ties to the classics beyond "This game is great" after playing them on a compilation? Is it that wrong to be excited because a game that half-plays similarly to another game I liked is being released?

I've said it in other ways before, but I'm willing to think of others on this. If it means that much to some people that the Unleashed style be abolished forever in favor of something like Colors or even going back to what the Classic style is, then so be it. They're the majority, and it would be stupid of Sega to make a game that only a minority would enjoy. Just...lemme have one last hurrah with Generations, that's all I ask. Then you can have the next twenty years of Sonic's 5-10, and I won't complain.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1