Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

@Inferno

I don't have to edit something. That is what I am thinking. Especially that cartoon part. :)

The game wasn't that bad, but after playing awhile the game doesn't live up to the hype.

Probably the most annoying problem was the presence of levels that were just simply pointless, stuff that you could literally beat in 15 seconds, regardless of whether or not you flew through the level.

• Thumbs Up 1

But Sonic's stages were where it's at, right? Boost-Fest where all you do is tap left and right to progress and occasionally flashy stuff happen on time. Press a button and your television explodes with you barely controlling, lot's of moments where you're in no control of your character just for it to be flashy, and most of the gameplay involved around drifting, tapping left and right, boosting, and homing attacks. The challenging parts are almost always trial-and-error, and most of the shortcuts are only found through trial and error as well. All Unleashed daytime is is a bunch of Quick-Time Events, whenever it be timing a jump correctly when racing by, timing a home attack correctly, timing tapping left and right correctly, to actual QTE events that litter the game on ramps, events, and gameplay moments.

But isn't every plattform/3d Sonic/game a reaction test to some extent? You say it's all a bunch of trial and error but you still can react to everything normally if you don't boost. The Boost isn't just there to finish narrow coriidor/lane faster most of the time, it's also there to increase your danger and therefor your interactivity.Yeah after you know where everything is, each playtrough is gonna be the same, but in which(3D) Sonic game isn't it the case, it's not like City Escape or Emerald Coast(or even Crazy Gedget) are gonna be different each Time you play them, yeah there are a few odd power-ups here and there(which isn' tall that game-changing since in SA1 you wanted to stay on the restritced path to let the camera to not go bullshit, and SA2's little nooks aren't better what SU offers), and that Unleashed does away with, however Gen so far has major multiple paths to make it less restricted and more choice that has actual inpact which is good(yeah there Medals in Unleashed but isn't very well intergrated). The QTE's I thought worked well in Sonic's case as there part of the reaction time, other Sonic games do this with just timing the A Button right(Jump Panels in SA1, jump poles in SA2 etc.).

And you say that the game revolves around to doing the same repetetive actions over and over alot, but the only thing Colors does make an attept at variety are the Wisps, as for everything else Unleashed does a way better job keeping the game varied to the actual level geometry,land you traverse how things are placed etc.and that's for all of Unleashed.

And as Inferno said there are moments where you can just look around the scenery,and automated segments are few seconds in-between(like in Adventure-06).

Saying Unleashed is objectively flawed is like saying all the other 3d Sonic games(cept maybe SA1 and Colors since those play the close to the Classics) are flawed. It's not as big as a diversion as people make it out to be.

Hub worlds consist of all of three actions, talking with random people that have nothing to say, collecting items like fruit juice or more medals or a painting, and getting an upgrade item to solve a small "puzzle" to get to the next stage, who's solution is almost always directly linked to the upgrade item you need to play the stage. Then we got RPG-upgradable Sonic to try and add some depth even if the whole system was obviously made to give Werehog stats as Sonic has a total of two things to upgrade, to go faster and boost longer.

It annoys me when people the Hub-World are bad quality, the actual towns are better than ALOT of RPG's etc. There are 8 Towns, which individual NPC's with own personalities,ans you became a part of their stories.That's better than alot of games have to offer when they have RPG-Elements. The Missions can be seen as a silly little extra thing, but they do re-configuarate thesame areas from a stage(what Colors also does) so it's not all unworth playing.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think this adequately sums up my veiws on Colours vs Unleashed.

QualityGraph.png

In short, Colours was on average a better game. I found it to be less frustrating overall, but also not very exciting. Unleashed on the other hand was inconsistant. Certain times it frustrated the shit out of me, but at its peak, it was even better than Colours

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That graph would need 2 peeks less for unleashed

Edited by Jaouad
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I think this adequately sums up my veiws on Colours vs Unleashed.

QualityGraph.png

In short, Colours was on average a better game. I found it to be less frustrating overall, but also not very exciting. Unleashed on the other hand was inconsistent. Certain times it frustrated the shit out of me, but at its peak, it was even better than Colours

Colors was a pretty stable game...and for what it worth the experience that it was supposed to deliver was delivered. But its blandish.

In fact Colors is so forgettable that a lot of people do forget it exist...countless of times on other websites on behalf of Generations have said "here we go again :rolleyes: " and people have to bring up Colors before people acknowledge that Sonic is on an up-streak...

You shouldn't have to remind people that a game exist. Even if its frustrating there is reason for it.

And I think its because Colors tried to be a Sonic version of what galaxy is...and although it was well done. It still didn't shine enough. Its just a good game and when we have been delivered piles of shit for nearly a decade...a good game in our eyes is a fantastic feat. Once I realized that all Colors was is a good game once I take the Sonic Fan Glasses off I realized it was a safe experience after replaying it for a while. It hard for me to boot it up and get deep with it after I got all the red rings.

Colors reminds me a a lot about Vanquish...amazing fucking game, yet NOBODY knows about it. Even though the game is amazing it lacks the "nail on the head" factor that other video game franchise do...

Colors simply lacks that "nail on the head" and even if unleashed is flawed as an overall game you see the potential there more than I saw in colors....

The only place that showed a little spark was Asteroid Coaster and once Generations comes out (If its a fantastic game) people will treat Colors like they did Sonic CD and only remember it for its fantastic Soundtrack and blocky level design.

In the end what I'm trying to say is that Colors is simply forgettable...its lack "Hummmph" and people realized this after having the game for a while. Now people are being vocal about it since the next game we are getting is a bit more like unleashed (Hopefully mixed with Colors at its best points).

Edited by Voyant

Because its not Sonic Adventure 3.

Seriously though, I think Colors suffered from the same thing a lot of the recent have suffered from; Overhype, I mean every new game is met with such high expectations, and when you play the game its nowhere near as good as you thought it was going to be; ITs happened with 06, Unleashed, Colors, and now Generations. Not that Colors isn't a good game, because unlike Unleashed its gameplay is consistent, but that's about it. Most of the levels are pointless 30 sec. runs, the 3D sections are shallow with nothing to do but to spam the boost(Unleashed at least had you avoiding obstacles), and the platforming is basic at best, I'd say the only thing they improved from Unleashed is how Sonic controls in 3D, and I hope that carries over to Generations.

Seeing how Generations has consistency in gameplay, and the thrilll factor of Unleashed, I'd say it has the grounds of being a good game, I just hope it lives up to the hype.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colors was good, but it wasn't the best.

This game man. This. Game. I pushed and fought for this game soo hard in the days leading up to release, even against the ridicule of non-Sonic fans on other forums. I bought the DS version, and then forked over for a Wii and the wii version of Colors.

To put it shortly, I was disappointed.

Now, I probably shouldn't have, but having really enjoyed Unleashed HD, I was expecting pretty much something similar to that, but obviously scaled back for being a Wii release. Nope, what I got was a game that pretty much played it too safe and held itself back way too much. The wisps were great additions, but there wasn't nearly enough 3D sections, and the platforming was also decent, but it was way too slow and it felt like I was playing a Mario game with a Sonic skin. Any feeling of exhilaration from Unleashed just wasn't brought over to this game, and what I got was pretty much comparable to drinking soda without the fizz.

And don't even get me started on the length of the levels. I'd rather take 2 or 3 acts of decent length than 6 stages where you can already hear the goal ring chime at the start of some of said stages.

Also, people often criticize Unleashed for it's automated segments, well, here's what I have to say to that: Starlight Carnival, act 1, first 15 seconds. That's all.

Dear God. This is exactly how I felt. I had a lot of hope and joy for Sonic Colors. I was obsessive about the game's release; I even went to the pre-release event that was held in Bryant Park. Yes, I ice skated for me silly little Sonic hat!!! I purchased the game with my very first paycheck at my previous job and within four days I had beat it.

I didn't feel a thing for it. There was no spark in this game that said, "Best Sonic game in years" for me. I thought I was insane given all of the amazing reviews and feedback I had heard about. This game made me say, "Gee Eboni, is this it for your Sonic love? This game is so underwhelming."

Now for a while I hate Colors, saying it was the worst Sonic purchase I ever made (Next to Shadow's game). Until I played some Heroes (which is God awful), and picked up Colors again. Then I realized it wasn't as horrible as I initially thought. It's just average. Decent... good. I don't regret buying it, but I hardly play it. It didn't live up to the hype for me.

Oh... and Cash Cash suck.

I had no idea people were suddenly hating on Colors. It's by no means terrible but it could have been tons better.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was wondering when you guys would start speaking the truth about the game.. I saw all that the day I played it, but there was so much hype, fans were dazzled by it and the previews, so I'd definitely ended up getting neg repped all the way down. You know, I'm one of the adventure fans and I like Sa type of gameplay much more than Unleashed, but after playing Colors, I must say playing unleashed daytime levels was a blast. I had some fun playing Colors, but I played it for a couple of weeks, then I forgot about it. That's right: there was no spark in this game. Good game but there's NOTHING special about it. It gets boring very quickly.

P.S. The only thing that didn't disappoint me is the OST. Ah and Super Sonic on levels of course.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Colors was a pretty stable game...and for what it worth the experience that it was supposed to deliver was delivered. But its blandish.

In fact Colors is so forgettable that a lot of people do forget it exist...countless of times on other websites on behalf of Generations have said "here we go again :rolleyes: " and people have to bring up Colors before people acknowledge that Sonic is on an up-streak...

You shouldn't have to remind people that a game exist. Even if its frustrating there is reason for it.

People do that with every good or decent Sonic release. If the game is good then they act pretty ignorant and pretend that such a game don't exist and they're looking for any flaw just so they can still bash on Sonic. Jim Sterling's review is a good example of that - Sonic Colors was recieving 8's from many websites but when Jim Sterling posted his review and gave it a 4.5, people on that site had a field day with it and they're saying that Sonic is dead cause of ONE bad review out of MANY good ones.

A lot of people acts like the recent Sonic handhelds games don't exist everytime they say that Sonic hasn't had any good games since SA2 or they act like those games don't even count because they're handheld titles. But if the game is horrible then we probably won't hear the end of it and they're going to keep rubbing it in our faces.

Sonic Colors isn't forgettable in my eyes. I still think the game is fun and I play it alot more then games like Shadow, Sonic '06 and Sonic and the Black Knight which I've only played one time and thats it. I just wish that the game has some more replay value.

Edited by sonfan1984

I don't really see where the "no replay value" comes from, since pretty much every Sonic game has the same amount of replayablity for me, popping it in again and playing few levels once in a while. Then again I never bothered with most of the missions in the other games, so that might be why I don't see it.

I don't really see where the "no replay value" comes from, since pretty much every Sonic game has the same amount of replayablity for me, popping it in again and playing few levels once in a while. Then again I never bothered with most of the missions in the other games, so that might be why I don't see it.

Probably, SA2 had the best replayability in my opinnion with the Missions and Chao Garden, in Unleashed you could unlock stages that you didn't have to play, something I liked and though added to the experience a lot. Colorus had Super Sonic, which I'm currently trying to unlock, but collecting red rings is really not that fun to do.

...seriously, where were you people at when there were only, like, 2 or 3 of us on the entire board who disliked the game back when it came out? :P Really coulda used your support back then.

Ironically, I now really enjoy the game, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

...seriously, where were you people at when there were only, like, 2 or 3 of us on the entire board who disliked the game back when it came out? :P Really coulda used your support back then.

I was in a "I don't feel like being on a forum" mood until just last week so, that's why. :P

Still, I just bought the game last month so I'm also new at it, apart from some stages I played at GAMEX 2010.

And even further, I don't dislike the game. It was really fun, it's just not as good as I thought it could have been based on my experience with Unleashed.

Edited by Tobbii

Cause backed then I had my Fan Glasses on and was marveled by the fact that finally a good Sonic Game actually worth mentioning had finally come out (on consoles).

Now after playing it for a bit I realized that Sonic Colors is a very watered down version of unleashed Day Time...and while it does fix some things...it plunges in others...and its very safe with megamanish, blocky level design.

Way to Basic for my taste...and boring. NOT SAYING IT WAS OMFG HORRIBLE since as an overall package it was a great game compared to Unleashed, but it still just...saaaffee

Music is fantastic though...like Sonic CD.

I actually remember fighting you about it...I sincerely apologize! XD

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember when people said everywhere how the Music and Art-direction blows Unleashed away and everything. To me that just felt forced, especially when people said how great Unleashed sounded and looked.I don't think Colors is like the Classics in the Visual department(what everyone said it was), it's more like CD/Chaotix which I'm not big a fan of. However Generation looks right up my alley.

Edited by ChikaBoing

I remember when people said everywhere how the Music and Art-direction blows Unleashed away and everything. To me that just felt forced, especially when people said how beatufull Unleashed sounded and looked.I don't think Colors is like the Classics in the Visual department(what everyone said it was), it's more like CD/Chaotix which I'm not big a fan of. However Generation looks right up me alley.

Unleashed soundtrack is so wonderful, but Colours had a few good tunes. I liked the first zone's theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably, SA2 had the best replayability in my opinnion with the Missions and Chao Garden, in Unleashed you could unlock stages that you didn't have to play, something I liked and though added to the experience a lot. Colorus had Super Sonic, which I'm currently trying to unlock, but collecting red rings is really not that fun to do.

To be brutally honest, SA2'a mission system wasn't anything special. In fact, I'd say Unleashed actually one-upped SA2 in that regard. Not only did Unleashed have the bastard hard Hot-Dog-Vendor stages, but it also had brand new, levels, with completely different and unique level design.

To be brutally honest, SA2'a mission system wasn't anything special. In fact, I'd say Unleashed actually one-upped SA2 in that regard. Not only did Unleashed have the bastard hard Hot-Dog-Vendor stages, but it also had brand new, levels, with completely different and unique level design.

I agree with Unleashed having a good system with unlocking alt. stages, as I think I've mentioned a few times in this thread, but I still really liked having 5 missions per stage. It's something I'd love to see return.

Sonic Colors is like Sonic CD; it has more platforming then speed, had a unique gameplay idea (Sonic CDs Time Travel, Sonic Colors wisp powers) and had posative reception from critics while Sonic Unleashed is like Sonic 2 with it's speed based level desine with ocasional platforming being in all future sonic titles with Generations showing this.

Edited by Rob K.

Sonic Colors is nothing like Sonic CD.

I actually like Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I know, I was just comparing the two. CD is better then Colors but they are simaler in a few ways

I kind of see where you're getting at but even so, it's hard to make that comparison.

To me Sonic Colors, while quite obviously over-saturated with 2D platforming segments, still has a significant amount of speed mixed in with it. It's not exactly an afterthought in the level design although it occasionally comes close during some areas of the game.

I can't even.. describe what Sonic CD has. I just find the level design to be extremely clunky and the time travel mechanic poorly implemented whereas the Wisp powers I think were actually utilized quite well.

Sonic 2 is also a lot more platform oriented that Unleashed also, so I'm not sure how well that comparison works either. A 2D equivalent to Sonic Unleashed would be more along the lines of a Sonic Rush game or Advance 2.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your right about CD. I just ment Sonic 2 inspired the gameplay and level desine for Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knucles is just like how Unleashed inspired the Colors and Generations gameplay

I'm just going to jump in here and say that I highly enjoy both Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed (HD daytime stages), but I prefer Sonic Colors a bit more. As far as replayability to me, it's pretty high for both games, I love going back and playing through stages over again (except for maybe those extremely short Colors ones) in both games. It's true that Unleashed has a bit more of a "wow" factor, but just like the whale chase scene from SA1, it doesn't seem quite as impressive after you've seen it 100 times, even though it's all still very cool looking. Other than more focus on platforming, Colors added a lot to the gameplay that I liked. For one, I really liked finally being able to go underwater again in a 3D game, and I actually had a lot of fun playing through Aquarium Park. Also, for what they are, the Wisp powers are pretty fun, especially since they're short-lived so they don't drag on or anything.

Anyway, like I said I enjoy both, and I'm hopeful that Sonic Generations will combine the best of both types of gameplay for Modern Sonic and become amazing. :D

Edited by mikeblastdude
  • Thumbs Up 1