Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

It was a good platformer for sure, despite feeling a bit Mario-like at times. Even though it didn't have adrenaline-pumping speeed type of gameplay, it was at least constant in it's flow and not a short burst of adrenaline then an hour of falling asleep.

Also, according to the gameplay log on the Wii. I have 82 hours playtime on Mario Galaxy, 84 on SMG2, and 85 on Sonic Colors 0.0 also 45 on Secret Rings, 38 on black knight, and 37 on Unleashed... What do you make of that?

Edited by Gartocer

Boring? Sadly yes. Whenever I pick it up I play one or two levels and then find myself completely bored. Nothing about it stands out to me. I've been going back and forth with this game and I think I've finally settled on a conclusion: I don't really like it. I regret buying it and I'm considering selling it or trading it in.

Story wise, music wise, and gameplay wise it's just not engaging to me. This hurts me a little, because I really want to say I adore this game but I can't! I'm even coming to believe that I enjoy Heroes more. That's really saying something.

Sorry Sonic... The colors feel so dull... :(

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Beith it just me or am I seeing some people getting neg-repped for having opinions in this thread? (Not talking about myself)

Remember, guys, don't neg-rep a post just cuz you disagree with it. Sheez.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Boring? Sadly yes. Whenever I pick it up I play one or two levels and then find myself completely bored. Nothing about it stands out to me. I've been going back and forth with this game and I think I've finally settled on a conclusion: I don't really like it. I regret buying it and I'm considering selling it or trading it in.

Story wise, music wise, and gameplay wise it's just not engaging to me. This hurts me a little, because I really want to say I adore this game but I can't! I'm even coming to believe that I enjoy Heroes more. That's really saying something.

After playing it and getting all S-Ranks and doing a few speed runs, I gave it to a friend to play (Who Loves It and has returned to the Sonic Fandom because of it.) I can't quite say I miss it all that much honestly.

Colors is like a great microwave meal to me, but its nothing compared to Mom's cooking.

Edited by Voyant

It's fun to play through, but it's extremely short. Like seriously, this is THE shortest game iv'e ever played.

I really hope generations doesn't suffer from that same issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've put around 88 hours in it and still have fun with it. The levels aren't quite as thrilling as the unleashed day stages, But I still enjoy them.

I think that it's one of those games that once you play through it once, you have no desire to play through it again.

I can't see myself playing through it again.

Honestly? Colors felt like a spin-off. I mean, look at all the hype that Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Generations got. Colors... I wasn't even aware Colors was a mainstream game until close to its release. And I love Sonic and Tails, but it's lacking in characters, too. Mainstream games tend to have more than three characters, whether they're old or new. Not to mention, Colors felt almost undeniably kid-focused compared to other Sonic games, which tend to appeal to a broader audience. The gameplay was way easier than other Sonic games, and the story... yeah. There was very little replay value whatsoever, and collecting the red rings didn't even challenge me. There was no sense of challenge in that game at all for me, no "YES!!! I did it!" moments. Hell, Black Knight had more missions and more replay value, and I'd take unlockable concept art, voice clips and music over unlockable Super Sonic any day, ESPECIALLY since you're halfway through most of the levels in Colors by the time you get enough rings to make it worth transforming.

Colors was 'good,' but it was mostly because every dimension of that game played it safe. I'd rather have an 'average' game that took a few risks, quite frankly, considering most of the games that are considered average (Sonic Unleashed, the Storybook series, the Adventures around here anyway, and even Heroes) are the ones that leave me with the best impression.

...I like Colors. But it's partially because I'm convincing myself to.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know what's not boring about Sonic Colors?

How much I loooove re-playing Starlight Carnival Act 5. That was one of the best levels in the entire Sonic series alone, Modern OR Classic. Even then, I loved how much the Tower was so expansive and wide-open in 3D after short bursts of 2D--that is how Generations should be built. 3D exploration with wide open spaces for you to move around in, with 2D bursts of speed in between. I also LOOOVED the use of the Hover Wisp too, because that was one of the few moments that Wisps were usable in 3D.

And then there's Planet Wisp Act 3. Everytime I try to beat the stage, and as much as I looooove the Cube Wisp, it keeps failing me. The Blue Color Power seems to run out on the worst possible time: converting Cube Rings into Cube CubesBlocks was quite possibly the most tedious little mechanic I've ever seen in a Sonic game. Even worse is that not many people can S-Rank the stage because as TV Tropes says, continuing is painful. Damp checkpoints preserve your time from each time that you die. UGHH

Other than that, everything else is fine.

Edited by Benson

I found Colours most interesting when I played Challenge Mode. Playing the entire game in order, especially considering its mostly-2D nature...it really feels like playing a long-lost classic Sonic game that I wasn't able to get hands on until now.

Individual acts I found boring, yes, once I found all the Red Rings.

Colours, is the epitome of a Sonic game playing it safe (its the only Sonic game post-SA2 to ever play it safe tbh).

And you know what? I'm so very glad that it was.

I have pretty much the same complaints as everyone else. The worthless 3D Sections which were felt like they were literally running on the Secret Rings/Black Knight engine. Then there was the pretty safe Mario/Megaman-esque platforming.

Still, though, I am hugely grateful that it was.

The blocky Mario/Megaman-esque platforming meant that other gamers could enjoy it pretty easily. The completely neutral and underwhelming 3D sections there just to be used as a qualifying statement of Colours actually being a 3D Sonic game, rather than a 2D one. It garnered interest in Sonic games as a whole from the gaming industry and the wider gaming community.

Sonic Colours is not a game for the fans, Generations is. Sonic Colours, is a game for everyone but the fans.

Once again, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

• Thumbs Up 6

I wouldn't say 'boring', or even 'dull'. It just feels so... tame.

As others have said, it's almost the very definition of Sonic Team 'playing it safe'; Unleashed is a guy in a flashy new sports car driving as fast as he can, whereas Colours is that same guy going slow and following all the rules after getting into a massive car wreck from his earlier behaviour.

It's somewhat annoying though, because in my opinion, as a result of that, Colours is the better game overall, if only by default. The high points of Colours don't come close to those of Unleashed; but at the same time, the same can be said for the low points as well. Rather than fix what didn't work in Unleashed, they just outright removed it or watered it down.

But yeah, it's still a good game. The only point that bugs me a bit, again, as others have mentioned, is how the 2D gameplay isn't really 'Sonic' gameplay. It's all a bit generic-platformy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I must be the only person ever that still has loads of fun with it.

I'm also sick of hearing the words "tame", or "safe". Just when the gameplay-invading gimmicks have been rid of...

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm also sick of hearing the words "tame", or "safe". Just when the gameplay-invading gimmicks have been rid of...

That's not reason...it played it safe within the actual Sonic gameplay.

And yes it did feel a bit like a spin-off, or it probably is in some way. Iizuka pushed it as a game made for Kids or Wii-Fans. And tbh through the actual Visual style and gameplay it feels that way, but not completly, Planet Wisp's and Aquarium Park's beatiful scenery and music felt like a throwback to the Creative Zones of the early days. I think the game as more of in line with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic CD, but not the Storybook games.

Metacritic Score is pretty accurate,but...without Sterling review, it would proably be an 8.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not what anyone's saying. People are calling 'tame', 'safe' and 'dull' because it doesn't push any boundaries or do anything interesting. It's just very basic and simple, like they were too scared to do anything more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's not what anyone's saying. People are calling 'tame', 'safe' and 'dull' because it doesn't push any boundaries or do anything interesting. It's just very basic and simple, like they were too scared to do anything more interesting.

And even then, many of the reviewers liked the fact that Sonic Team's Wii team was playing it safe for once.

And even then, many of the reviewers liked the fact that Sonic Team's Wii team was playing it safe for once.

Eh. They shouldn't be taking more ridiculous risks, but they shouldn't be playing it so safe the game is dull. Generations isn't taking risks and doesn't look anywhere near as dull as Colours.

• Thumbs Up 4

One fluke? You're grasping, bro. Two flukes in a row? ... You seriously want to believe that? Three flukes in a row? You're not even worth my time.

Nice, dude! Gave you +1 rep for stating how much we need consistency to bring Sonic back into the big leagues.

But, to put it mildly, the more uptight fans think that the only way that we can do so is by creating good Sonic games that equate to how many bad Sonic games there are to their eyes. And even then, they may at least want five or more, considering many of them detest Sonic towards Sonic Adventure 2 and beyond. If there are more good games than bad, then and only then will they consider how much Sonic is awesome again (and that depends on whether or not these games are actually good to these types of fans).

Well, now I guess I'm in before someone starts a flamewar by calling Generations a bad game.

If you have the ability to appreciate a game by its individual merit rather than the franchise's reputation, then that's all the more wisdom to you. What should prejudiced asshats matter to?

Edited by Jayhawker30

Really o:? People think Colours is boring/tame? I must be so weird; it's actually probably my favorite Sonic game. The fact that there are few moments where you're like "GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOAAAWATCHOUTFORTHEPITOHTOOLATE:DLOL" made me love it a ton. I actually didn't even notice the lack of 3D sections until someone on here pointed it out, honestly. Then again, I enjoyed the Wii Unleashed's daytime stages too, which were "boring, dull, barren" etc to everyone else too. Asides from Apotos, Spagonia and Mizuri, I typically don't replay Unleashed since the level designs frustrate me with how they tempt me to boost like a madman only to fling me off into a pit the second later. There wasn't as much platforming in Unleashed either. Actually my favorite moment in Unleashed is the start of Mizuri, where you're in those 'wide open' fields and you have to drift to get around those corners... o:

I can plop in Colours and pretty much pick any stage/act that isn't Planet Wisp and have a great time. xD I think I'm just turning casual or something... Although, Sonic Generations is looking up! It seems to have the 'thrill' that everyone's saying is missing from Colours, while having the more forgiving platforming (Falling == doesn't always mean into a pit) and level design style that I liked from Colours. =) Stoked.

(I mean, then again, I'm more hyped for the Generations OST/Game Rips of the music than the actual game, so... XD)

*Gasp!* The music in that game isn't to your liking? Sweet mountain, the final boss theme, Starlight carnival? Oh well it's your opinion I guess. I find the music the best part of the game.

I'm gonna have to join the whole "playing it safe" group here. I mean I like playing it every now and then But I find myself playing 06 more actually. Not because I like the game but I can do a ton of things with that game. In colors and can't do half the things I could do in 06 that made me actually find fun in 06. Colors lack of 3d gameplay and it playing safe took a lot of the enjoyment out of me. Aside from the SS unlock There's no replay value Compared to Unleashed, BK and even secret rings! I can see how people feel that this game is more of a spin-off game. Generations Looks a hell of a lot better for more taking risks compared to colors. Colors just seemed too be the training ground for ST i guess. :mellow: Colors isn't a horrible game. Okay is what i would call it. It just doesn't advance in anything unleashed did in my opinion. It kinda just stayed on the safe side not really adding anything new or fresh (besides the wisps) to the unleashed gameplay and made it more accessible to the kids by dumbing it down. But I'm still gonna keep it in my sonic games collection. Since it's apart of the sonic story.

Edited by Dudehedgehogfan1996
  • Thumbs Up 1

*Gasp!* The music in that game isn't to your liking? Sweet mountain, the final boss theme, Starlight carnival? Oh well it's your opinion I guess. I find the music the best part of the game.

Not even in-stage music,

made me stay in the area without picking a stage for a looong time.

One of the best kind of music for Sonic, it was one of the greatest things about Colors too (IMO of course.)

Super Sonic was good for a while, sad to say I'd come to transform like 5 seconds before the goal ring. -Not a really good ring collector-

The stages were ''Good, Great, Awesome, Outstanding, Amazing!'' but there were a few I was dying to get out of the way.

It surely doesn't compare to unleashed day stages as I loved boosting through an entire act but Colors is still a great game that pretty much brought a good Sonic game back for many.

As a Sonic fan from Sonic 1, I find it hard to hate even the lamest of Sonic game there is, perhaps I just like a Sonic game anyways 'cause Sonic is in it.

I understand some ideas aren't the greatest but so far, Sega has been learning quite well. Until I don't see another Shadow the Hedgehog, I'm good.

The way I see it, Colors was the appetizer and Generations is going to be the main course.

The Olympic games are probably going to be the dessert.

I never thought I'd make food metaphor on this forum...

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 3