Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

I never thought I'd make food metaphor on this forum...

Actually, food metaphors are common around here.

I guess deep down, we've got a little Fawful in all of us.

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, food metaphors are common around here.

I guess deep down, we've got a little Fawful in all of us.

I know that, I just thought I would never make one is all.

They're power ups and most levels in the game do not FORCE you to use the Wisps. There is the occasional point you can't pass w/o them, but those are very rare. Even some of the levels designed entirely around Wisp abilities can be completed without using them.

Never once, in my playthroughs of Sonic Colors did I feel that the Wisps were intruding on traditional gameplay any more than the elemental shields "intruded" on traditional Sonic gameplay in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

I really can't get on board with this criticism entirely. Wisp power ups don't intrude on the gameplay at all- they're short lived and blend with the gameplay quite nicely. The main problem is the level design. Like you said, you have to use them for an enriching experience. That's no fault of the power-ups existing, it's the level design.

I don't find them relatable to the old elemental shields at all. The elemental shields are not timed and just add a single extra move to Sonic's jump. The Wisps are temporary and strip away ALL Sonic's normal controls to replace them with something completely different*.

It's fun different, but it's not as fun as just getting through the levels using Sonic's traditional platforming stunts to me like he does in Unleashed and Generations. Just my personal taste.

(*Well alright, except maybe stuff like the laser wisp (or the forgettable cube wisp) since the former is a one-time use and the latter still has normal controls inbetween uses).

Edited by JezMM

I don't find them relatable to the old elemental shields at all. The elemental shields are not timed and just add a single extra move to Sonic's jump. The Wisps are temporary and strip away ALL Sonic's normal controls to replace them with something completely different*.

It's fun different, but it's not as fun as just getting through the levels using Sonic's traditional platforming stunts to me like he does in Unleashed and Generations. Just my personal taste.

(*Well alright, except maybe stuff like the laser wisp (or the forgettable cube wisp) since the former is a one-time use and the latter still has normal controls inbetween uses).

You use those powers for all of 30 seconds, hell aside from the Frenzy and Hover wisp they don't really change the flow that much.

Cube is a trigger.

Rocket and Lazer are one time deals.

Drill and Spikes fare hardly different.

I fail to see how they "take away the Sonic gameplay" if anything it adds to it.

I've only played it for 17 hours(the amount of time needed to 100% it), then never played it again. Where as I've played Sonic Unleashed for 200+ hours at least, dating from 2010. I just can't think of a reason to play Sonic Colours again.

You use those powers for all of 30 seconds, hell aside from the Frenzy and Hover wisp they don't really change the flow that much.

Cube is a trigger.

Rocket and Lazer are one time deals.

Drill and Spikes fare hardly different.

I fail to see how they "take away the Sonic gameplay" if anything it adds to it.

It's just not the kind of platforming I relate to Sonic games. As said, it's a GOOD game, it's a GOOD platformer. But drilling through ground and hovering about and sticking to walls is not something I want Sonic to do, at least not in this broken "now here is a spikes section" format. Colours was a cool experiment, but I'd like to see the good ideas put into a more consistant format like bringing the return of Sonic Advance style optional characters to explore the levels at their own place, and leave Sonic to do the high-speed thrilling platforming and platforming using the moves that keep in tune with his flow and character. Laser is one I could see returning in a future game as a rare, earnable move to easily reach trickier areas of a level, some kind of super rebound homing attack perhaps. But the rest just slow down the pace too much to be "sonic" to me. They broke up the flow or deserve to be accessible at all times to explore the level (mainly spikes and hover) via alternative characters (i.e. knuckles and tails for those two).

Surely it's not hard to see how this game was fun BUT a dissapointment for someone who loved Unleashed daytime gameplay.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the best thing about Colors is how good the Drill Controls felt, huge improvment over NiGHTS Jod for that type of control. Prove that they can do it properly.

It's just not the kind of platforming I relate to Sonic games. As said, it's a GOOD game, it's a GOOD platformer. But drilling through ground and hovering about and sticking to walls is not something I want Sonic to do, at least not in this broken "now here is a spikes section" format. Colours was a cool experiment, but I'd like to see the good ideas put into a more consistant format like bringing the return of Sonic Advance style optional characters to explore the levels at their own place, and leave Sonic to do the high-speed thrilling platforming and platforming using the moves that keep in tune with his flow and character. Laser is one I could see returning in a future game as a rare, earnable move to easily reach trickier areas of a level, some kind of super rebound homing attack perhaps. But the rest just slow down the pace too much to be "sonic" to me. They broke up the flow or deserve to be accessible at all times to explore the level (mainly spikes and hover) via alternative characters (i.e. knuckles and tails for those two).

Surely it's not hard to see how this game was fun BUT a dissapointment for someone who loved Unleashed daytime gameplay.

Well I like power ups and innovation in my Sonic games, and I encourage Sonic Team to continue with it. Sonic can't be a fast paced game all the time, this partially the problem with Unleahsed, the daytime levels were almost completely linear in design with nothing to interact with, and that's boring. I'd rather have power ups than have to go through an entire level with nothing special about it. Yeah sure Colors may have had boring levels in general, but at least the Wisp keep it from being completely boring.

And I still don't understand the "Break the flow' concept. You act as if its a completely different control scheme when you're playing as when controlling the wisp, hel breaking flow to me is going through 2 levels of awesome platforming then the third level is a puzzle game, that's breaking flow. The Wisp hardly count as that.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, the wisp gimmick adds to Colors like stairs adds to a walk.

It's something different, but I wouldn't really miss it if it weren't there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since Colors has limited replay value, it loses it's flair after a while. But I wouldn't really say it's "boring".

I don't really find it more "boring" than the other games. Like the other ones I like, I beat it and play a few levels once in a while.

(I mean, then again, I'm more hyped for the Generations OST/Game Rips of the music than the actual game, so... XD)

Me too. And even more than that I'm looking forward to those Sonic 1 and 2 demo tracks we were promised.

I haven't played it yet, but Colors is notable to me for being the only 3D Sonic game to come out in a decade that genuinely interested me before release and still interests me. It's probably not a great game, but I'd get it someday.

I don't care about Generations at all though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well I like power ups and innovation in my Sonic games, and I encourage Sonic Team to continue with it. Sonic can't be a fast paced game all the time, this partially the problem with Unleahsed, the daytime levels were almost completely linear in design with nothing to interact with, and that's boring. I'd rather have power ups than have to go through an entire level with nothing special about it. Yeah sure Colors may have had boring levels in general, but at least the Wisp keep it from being completely boring.

And I still don't understand the "Break the flow' concept. You act as if its a completely different control scheme when you're playing as when controlling the wisp, hel breaking flow to me is going through 2 levels of awesome platforming then the third level is a puzzle game, that's breaking flow. The Wisp hardly count as that.

I just mean I prefer to have my gimmicky unSonic gameplay either not there at all or seperate. I love Unleashed and was looking forward to a bunch of new levels to enjoy that gameplay on, but the Wisps just keep butting in on my fun, and since the levels are designed around them I just can't play "normal Sonic" without taking a weird route.

I find Colours very comparable to Heroes in this regard, which I also didn't enjoy due to the fun but "not QUITE Sonic" flying and fighting sections breaking up the Sonicy platforming. Colours' gimmicky platforming is still a million miles better than Heroes' gimmicky platforming, but yeah.

In the long run I think I'll like Colours as an inbetweeny game. It was just dissapointing at the time because it was hyped up enough to feel I was getting a "sequel" to Unleashed. But it looks more like Generations will fit that bill - and boy am I excited about it.

(Btw, while I admit Unleashed was more linear than Colours, that doesn't mean there isn't potential for a wide branching level with standard Unleashed gameplay - look at the latter half of Empire City as a prime example, and while I'm avoiding spoilers, I've HEARD Modern City Escape in Generations is looking pretty good).

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree with people saying Sonic Team played it safe with this game. Honestly, I beat all the levels, collected a good majority of the red rings, and finished the storyline in a week. Story was very basic, and there's not much content on it. There's Red Rings to collect, which unlocks Super Sonic in regular gameplay, Sonic Simulator, Challange Mode, and then that's it. The Wisps were good powerups though, the level themes were nice, and both the music and graphics were stellar. So I wouldn't call it boring. But I do agree that it's one of those games that I might play once, and then never play again. It's literally one of the shortest games I've ever played. On a side note, this also goes for Sonic 4: Episode 1, which (painfully) was even shorter than Colors. I beat all the zones (including the final boss) in 4 days, got Super Sonic in a week. Only reason I go back to Sonic 4: Episode 1 is that damn Untouchable trophy.

Now would you guys say the same thing about the DS version, that's what I'd like to know....

Now would you guys say the same thing about the DS version, that's what I'd like to know....

I wish the Wii version had all the "extra" content the DS version does - missions (though these missions don't take place on the actual levels, they are more short mini gimmicky levels in themselves, actually), unlockables, so on and so forth.

However the DS version really falls flat in terms of "raw" content. Way less levels than previous Sonic DS games.

It gets boring after a while. At it's epitome, it's pretty amazing. Got nothing on 360 Unleashed though when it comes to the speedy parts and the scale of the stages.

Whilst it lasts, it's thoroughly entertaining but there's only so much longetivity you can get out of it when there's only get a maximum of two Wisps per act and most of said acts are over in a matter of minutes. The main story mode is over in 4 hours if you're competent. That is very short for a Sonic game on average.

I found that the missions aren't as seemingly generous on the alternate paths most of the time as people make out. The game is hampered by it's percievable timidness in pushing the boat out when it comes to complex level design and doing something...more. And that linearity and lack of ambition is what shoots a hole in it replayability-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

The DS version felt like yet another "It's Rush but not Rush" game. I loved Rush for what it was, but taking its engine and trying to apply slower paced platforming to it just doesn't work. I got bored of Colors DS before I even finished the second world. It was that bad.

I've spent far more hours playing Unleashed than Colors. But Colors for me, is still the better game, and was not boring in the least.

Getting through levels in Colors felt fun and rewarding. It was consistent and managed to offer me the same fun and exhilaration throughout. While it might not be the most over the top Sonic game, for me it does the important thing a Sonic game hasn't managed to offer me since Sonic 3&K, and that is pacing itself well, unlike Unleashed which is the most awkwardly paced game I've ever had the misfortune to play. Unleashed has very well designed facets and I can respect that it would eventually serve as the framework for future Sonic titles, especially since there's so much flash put into them. As a game though, I dislike it. It's like digging for maltesers in a bowl of cabbage.

The criticism of Sonic Colors being safe played is one I can understand, especially one that it seems more as a spin-off. It's also worth remembering though, that from the get-go, the development team never intended for Sonic Colors to overtake the hype they had prepped for the hardcore audience with Sonic 4. Sonic Colors was meant to be a run of the mill title for the kids that somehow exceeded the developer's expectations, and for what it is, it's a damn solid title that everyone can jump into and enjoy.

If the Generations dev team can continue off of what made Sonic Colors consistent and focused, alongside the flashy nature and thrills of Unleashed, I'd love that.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If the Generations dev team can continue off of what made Sonic Colors consistent and focused, alongside the flashy nature and thrills of Unleashed, I'd love that.

That ^

Anyways, I could be bored of playing many Acts in Sonic Colors but I'm always going to come back to it for this boss and the final one.

The music in this boss fight was great and imo was the greatest out of the ones recycled, despite being sandwiched between two cheesy scenes.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

*Gasp!* The music in that game isn't to your liking? Sweet mountain, the final boss theme, Starlight carnival? Oh well it's your opinion I guess. I find the music the best part of the game.

....Starlight Carnival? I think I hated that track the most. Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp were the only themes I enjoyed, but not enough to want to listen to them on my leisure. Planet Wisp Act 2 has some of the prettier music I've heard in the series though.

Sonic Colors at its best was just as fun as any other 3D Sonic game (levels such as Tropical Resort 1 and 2, Sweet Mountain 3, Planet Wisp 1 and 6, Asteroid Coaster 1), and at its worst dull, clunky, and unenjoyable to play (such as Sweet Mountain 4, Planet Wisp 3, and just about the entirety of Starlight Carnival and Aquatic Park).

(Btw, while I admit Unleashed was more linear than Colours, that doesn't mean there isn't potential for a wide branching level with standard Unleashed gameplay - look at the latter half of Empire City as a prime example, and while I'm avoiding spoilers, I've HEARD Modern City Escape in Generations is looking pretty good).

Let me just put it bluntly: you will be ecstatic if you loved Unleashed.

Sonic Colors at its best was just as fun as any other 3D Sonic game (levels such as Tropical Resort 1 and 2, Sweet Mountain 3, Planet Wisp 1 and 6, Asteroid Coaster 1), and at its worst dull, clunky, and unenjoyable to play (such as Sweet Mountain 4, Planet Wisp 3, and just about the entirety of Starlight Carnival and Aquatic Park).

B-but...Aquarium Park was blast! D:

Gamewise, I think Colors is what happens when you take just the Daytime stages in Sonic and add a number of power-ups. That's just to sum it up.

If you want to dig deeper, then to be as redundant as everyone else, Colors plays incredibly safe for a Sonic game. And you know what, I honestly don't blame them after the previous 5 years of mediocre to downright bad games this series had. The great thing you can give Colors without selling it too short is that it isn't a rehash as you would fear, and given how we had a few advocates around the net in favor having rehashed levels with Sonic 4 (and some against it, it's a complex issue) I find that to be something I'm really grateful for the game.

Still, it isn't very much of a game that you would expect to get really immersed into after your first playthrough. You get all the wisps as you play the game, but the only other thing that adds to it's replay value is the red rings which gives you Super Sonic to play through all the levels. Now when it came to the Classic games, Super Sonic was incredibly worthwhile to play as since the games would increase the difficulty as you progress and Super Sonic allowed you to breeze through that as soon as you unlocked him. Colors on the other hand seems to throw him in as a last minute bonus, and I assume his underwhelming use in this game aside from being what you'd expect from the Classics is that the introduction of the Z-axis tends to leave you expecting something more epic than what you got with just 2D.

On the subject of the Wisps, for power-ups they come as a bit lackluster and far too short-lived. They don't last very long and some can leave you feeling a bit robbed after obtaining them. In some cases, this is understood; some of you might not want to spend so much time in the cube form and the frenzy wisp is much too overpowered for you to use throughout the level, but the hover wisp seems like a fun power-up to go flying around in only for you to have 20 seconds of flight. And it still doesn't hold much of a candle to Tails' flight in the Classics or SA2 as while he only had 8 seconds in the air, you could cover quite a lot of distance in that short period of time. But I have to say, that my favorite has to be the pink Spike Wisp only because it allows Sonic to climb just about any surface in the game...now if only they could've let you use it more than sticking it to a time limit.

Aside from that, Colors is about the least offensive game after so long of having rather offensive ones. Although it playing it too safe also serves to shoot it in the foot when it least expects it, as despite the game appearing 3D it has far more 2D than you would expect. Some would see that as a good thing as a number of them would claim the ever ridiculous "Sonic doesn't work in 3D" without getting through their heads that 3D isn't what's not working for Sonic, it's the people behind Sonic that's not working for Sonic. Even more is that the game doesn't have such a great replay value after you get done beating it, which may make Colors seem more like an experiment for a game like Generations.

I'll give Colors this tho, hardly any other game on the Wii has the visuals that could be compared to a game for the PS3 and 360 which really says a lot about it's graphics. Even more, the story seems to pull away from the rather off the balls plots we got in previous games from Heroes to Sonic 06, and even Unleashed to a lesser extent regarding the Werehog's use. The humor is incredibly light and rather juvenile than you would expect, but it isn't too bad overall. But oftentimes it comes off as ridiculous even for Sonic's standards, and mind you after the overly juvenile plot we got in Heroes, I find it interesting how this manages to keep itself just a hair away from its level. Still, the writers are of great quality, so I would expect great things from them regarding Generations.

All in all, you don't exactly get your money's worth in the game, but it's a rather good game for one that plays incredibly safe. After the risk taking from previous games, this is one you can get your hopes up for with no problems whatsoever. Of course, the rest of us will still be waiting for the game that blows us the fuck away. And by that, I don't mean a goddamn SA3, which'll do who-the-fuck-knows-what at this point if it ever gets into the heads of Sonic Team.

EDIT: Why the hell was I thinking of myself as Yahtzee when I typed this?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Gamewise, I think Colors is what happens when you take just the Daytime stages in Sonic and add a number of power-ups. That's just to sum it up.

I don't think so, have you read the other posts in this Thread?