Awoo.

Favorite Sonic Cartoon?

Segakid

Simple topic, which Sonic cartoon is your favorite and why? Mine would have to be Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog since it was not only the first Sonic cartoon I ever saw but I find it to be the most entertaining. I admit sometimes the Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder portions can drag on a bit but the cartoon has some really funny moments.

xe1vf4.jpg

So, "I'm waaaaaiting" for your responses.

20u4yme.jpg

Edited by Segakid
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Satam is my favorite Sonic cartoon. I like the story, and I like the idea of Sonic being a Freedom Fighter. The character's were likeable. And the show has my favorite version of Dr. Robotnik.

Too bad it never got a third season.

Edited by Darkfox

Night of the Werehog.

But considering the actual choices, I'd go with AoStH. That was true childhood fodder, a popular tape to pop in when me and my brother wanted to laugh at some sheer retardation. Unfortunately, I've not seen enough of the other two to have that great an opinion on them.

Probably SatAM.

AoStH made about as much sense as FFXIII, and Sonic X made my ears bleed after watching the first 5 minutes of the first episode.

Never watched Sonic Underground.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Nepenthe's going to call Night of the Werehog, I claim Sonic CD. Both sequences are filled with unabashed, impressive action with no plot to get in the way.

There's a fanmade DVD out there featuring cleaned-up versions of the cutscenes with every possible music choice to go with each one. It's an essential addition to anyone who cares enough, but I don't know if the torrent is alive any longer.

SatAM is special because it has Antoine.

Edited by Sean

If I can only pick those three then... AoSTH, because I'm soooooo tired of SatAM and I never liked Underground. AoSTH on the other hand never gets non-funny.

Of course the short-film on Sonic Jam was the best though.

Adventures of sonic the hedgehog is my favorite I think It's even my favorite cartoon ever I love how just about every thing on that show is funny scratch grounder and robotnik are all great and tails is really cute! :D

Can I say the OVA? Or the Man of the Year short from Sonic Jam?

If it's just out of the DIC cartoons, then AoSTH since it was the only one I generally liked... well, I do have somewhat of a soft spot for Underground if only for nostalgia. (Hell I even like one or two of the songs) XD;

I will admit however that SatAM was probably the better made cartoon of the three... but Sonic and Sally's characters irritated me so gosh darn much, and they take up so much of the show's focus, that it's near impossible for me to appreciate it. .3.

Can I say the OVA? Or the Man of the Year short from Sonic Jam?

Yes, you have permission to have good taste.

• Thumbs Up 2

For me its AOSTH. I grew up with this show and when I felt sick this would be the show that would help me feel better. I remember having a terrible migraine, waking up at like 5am and watching this and somehow it helped. AOSTH will always have a soft spot for me. Next to that would be the OVA. I mean even though the voices were terrible, it had metal sonic. And the battle between them two was amazing. Underground sucked, and Sonic X only sucked because of chris and the high amount of humans. But the first ep was decent. SATAM was not my fav by.

At the risk of sounding weird, I'm gonna say Sonic X. Not to say it's the best, not in the slightest, but it's the one I had the most amount of exposure to as a kid, seeing as I was pretty much a Mario kid in the 90's and didn't even know Sonic had a show back then. To me, Sonic X was Sonic's first show to my knowledge, and crappy as it was, I woke up early every saturday to watch it because of that novelty feeling I got from seeing my favorite gaming character on TV.

My second would be the OVA, as it has great animation that actually looks more anime-esque than Sonic X for whatever reason. The guys that made that should've made a full fledged series in my opinion.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Out of the ones that made it to TV, I'm going to have to say Sonic X, though not for any of the reasons the creators meant for.

Otherwise I'm going to have to say the OVA, because its the only one that didn't just wet my appetite for it and then stop.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog would be good if it weren't for the characters who aren't Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, Scratch, Grounder, or Coconuts. Any time a non-regular character appears in the series I tend to make a horrible face of disgust. I mean, there are rare exceptions... like uhh.. Everyone in the Edgar Eagle episode... or Captain Rescue. But yeah, there's a lot of crap characters and flat out bizarre jokes that usually come from the not-so-regular characters. Of course that's not to say the good characters don't ever contribute to the oddness... What the hell Tails. Why you try to bite off Sonics head when he described a chilidog.

SatAM was good, but it had a bit of oddness to it that I couldn't explain. ( Yup. Scootin' and Rootin ... ) ...And then there was the cliffhanger. I suppose you could always pick up the comic book if you want a continuation, but It's just too difficult to to get into american comics ( Retcons. Retcons, Limited editions, and spinoffs everywhere! )

Sonic Underground was probably even less like the games than the other two shows were, but for some reason I really liked it, despite the odd character design. Could have done without the sing alongs though.

Sonic X probably had the most in common with the games, but it suffered from a plot centered around Chris. I didn't mind Chris as a character, but why did he have to be in the spotlight for a show supposed to center around Sonic? ...Unlike SatAM comics though, the Sonic X comics were a wonderful continuation, very humorous. It's a shame it was canceled. They had lots of eggman.

I guess I haven't yet answered the question at hand though.

I like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog the best I guess. But we all know Robotnik was the real star of that show.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog by a mile.

It was adorable, funny, silly... all the things that made it a great cartoon for little kids, and a wonderful nostalgia trip for older kids and adults. It didn't spawn a thousand memes for no reason.

It was so incredibly daft that it can't help but cheer me up even on the worst of days, and the relationship between Sonic and Tails is just THE cutest thing ever.

It has it's share of inconsistencies (Tails claiming he can't read because he's only four and a half, and then writing a perfectly neat handwritten note to Sonic in another episode), but in other respects there was a certain level of continuity despite most episodes being stand alone (with the exception of the Chaos Emerald trio). I'd even say that Tails' characterisation was better in AoStH than SatAM, as he's shown to be both a pilot and a genius inventor in separate episodes.

And of course Robotnik steals the show. He's just outright hilarious. SatAM's Julian is still my favourite Robotnik for his sheer level of evil creepiness. But I love AoStH Robotnik for his absolute buffoonery. And his cohorts Scratch and Grounder (and Coconuts) are simply the best lackies he's ever had. Bocoe and Decoe and Bokun, and Cubot and Orbot have tried to recreate the same dynamic, but it's never worked as well as with Scratch and Grounder (and Coconuts).

So all in all, yes, much as I love SatAM also, AoStH wins for me hands down for pure entertainment.

I would say... AoStH.

"SnooPING AS usual I see" .. Joke. ^^

I was watching it like years before it ever was released in Germany. It's my favourite Cartoon. :>

Sonic Underground was the first cartoon since then. I was like: wuut a Sonic cartoon? And I watched it for years for some reason. :D

If I can only pick those three then... AoSTH, because I'm soooooo tired of SatAM and I never liked Underground. AoSTH on the other hand never gets non-funny.

This is probably the only thing I'll ever agree with you. :P

AoStH is one of my favorite cartoons of all time and that's saying something. Its mostly because of Robotnik and all the zaniness in the show. :P

Sonic Underground by a great longshot. I'm going to give you exactly one guess as to why =P

This is probably the only thing I'll ever agree with you. :P

AoStH is one of my favorite cartoons of all time and that's saying something. Its mostly because of Robotnik and all the zaniness in the show. :P

The only thing? I highly doubt that. :P

AoStH. Didn't even have to think for a second.

The usual reasons. Wasn't grimdark, had Scratch & Grounder, featured Pingas Robotnik, Sonic & Tails kicked ass, etc etc. Also the Chaos Emerald Saga was fucking epic.

SatAM's overrated, though I have nothing against Sally/Bunnie/Antoine/most of the SatAM cast (take note that I refer only to their SatAM incarnations, not their Archie ones). Naugus was surprisingly interesting to me, but he ended up getting fucked over, so meh. There's also it's version of Robotnik, who is very definitely overrated (apart from Jim Cummings - his voicework deserves the praise). I never found his design threatening at all, more like an evil YMCA reject. I can honestly say that I believe Game Robotnik's design is more "creepy". Must be the glasses. There's also the fact that he became a sissy bitch once Naugus showed up. For all the times Game Robotnik gets screwed over, at least he still acts (usually) more like a real man about it.

Underground? Ha ha ha.

Sonic X? Worst of the lot.

Well, sort of. Chris gets a token mention, but even then... I did sort of like the first season. From the first episode to the Super Sonic/Eggsterminator battle, it was fair enough (though the Eggsterminator "losing control" pissed me off as expected). Then the Adventure/Battle adaptations dropped in and it went downhill from there. But personally, I find that Season 3 is the worst. I didn't like the Metarex, I didn't like the plot, I didn't like the way they handled the journey IN SPAAAACE, I didn't like Dark Super Sonic, I certainly did not like that infamous one line from Robotnik about harming others... it was all a big fat mess.

Also Cosmo. She's not as bad as Chris/the Metarex, but thanks to her death, Tails acting emo is now an adored tradition for Sonic fanfiction.

And then there's those three robots - Decoe, Bocue and Bokkun. Those poor men's Scratch/Grounder/Coconuts can kiss my ass. Orbot and Cubot did it way better.

As for choices that aren't in the list, I'll go with the OVA as well, for it is kickass. Anything with the classic Robotnik design/Badniks/Old Man Owl/Metal Robotnik/Knuckles' hat has got to be good.

...Oh yeah and the Man of the Year too I guess. Always get a kick out of that, bizarre as it was.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Also Cosmo. She's not as bad as Chris/the Metarex, but thanks to her death, Tails acting emo is now an adored tradition for Sonic fanfiction.

Which is funny since the fanfictions often have Cosmo alive.

Sonic X is by far my favorite, and that's saying something considering I thoroughly disliked Chris (He's equally superfluous to the Freedom Fighters in my book). But X had a lot of heart, and was a very character-driven show. The show focused a lot on Eggman and his relationship with his minions and enemies, and really developed him as a sympathetic and likable guy. It was by far the most human portrayal of Eggman I've seen (aside from the even better comic series based on the anime).

Sonic OVA takes a close second place. Major points for using classic Sega Eggman, and for making him absolutely hilarious. I also think Eggman/Sera is adorable, and I shamelessly ship them.

Ah, now that the two good Sonic cartoons are out of the way, I can categorize the other three...

Well, of the three western cartoons, AoStH tops the list for me. It was bad, but at least it was endearingly bad. It was what it was- A terrible video game cartoon with lame jokes and dodgy animation. But it was funny, often unintentionally so, and has a place in my heart for being so ridiculous and off-the-wall. AoStH wasn't a very good show, but it was fun to watch- A guilty pleasure, really.

Next to the bottom of the list is SatAM. I feel like SatAM was really just as bad as AoStH for somewhat different reasons (Utterly asinine plots and characters, despite its "serious" surface veneer), but the show is heralded as some great artistic masterpiece by its fanbase regardless. It is my humble opinion that SatAM was not nearly as "deep" as many of its proponents claim it is, and that it's really a pretty weak premise with some fairly flat characters who really don't develop much as the show goes on. I wouldn't be so harsh on it normally, but given its fanbase overhyping, I sort of feel obligated to be more critical in my appraisal of the show. AoStH fans can sort of acknowledge their show is awful but still enjoyable, but I feel SatAM fans greatly exaggerate the merits of SatAM's storytelling and characterization, which to me were never that impressive. There were good serious dramatic cartoons of the 90s (Batman, Gargoyles, etc.), but I genuinely feel SatAM was not one of them.

Underground is my least favorite, just because it basically took SatAM and made it even worse. It's essentially "SatAM - The Musical" featuring Sonic's siblings and really terrible acting and singing. Robotnik is slightly more believable in Underground, but even he couldn't save this show.

So, tl;dr...

1. Sonic X

2. Sonic OVA

3. AoStH

4. SatAM

5. Underground

So yeah, that's how Mechano feels about this.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Seeing as everyone now is choosing from more than the thread was asking about, I'll go ahead and re-do my choice.

I think Sonic OVA is my fav. when it comes to the best Sonic Cartoon, Man of the Year would be #1 if it wasn't so short, would have love to see a 20 minute long version of Robotnik ruining Sonics life like that. Then comes AoSTH, Sonic X, SatAM and Underground. I have yet to see Night of the Werehog, I think those are all right?

Sonic X was fun, but almost every character made for the show was horrible, Robotnik and most of Sonic and Friends worked out fine though, I think a prequel series to Sonic X would have been a great idea. I never did watch past the first season though, apart from a few episodes whit Shadow (probably from the SA2 storyline).

If we're allowed to pick the Sonic OVA then I'm going to pick that. To date, the OVA universe is my favorite one outside of the games'.

If I have to choose between Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground and SatAM then I'm going to pick Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic Underground was just hilariously bad. Anyone who has watched the show can attest to why I'm saying that. I kind of look at it as a 'so bad it's good' kind of show, but just general quality wise I'd say Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is better.

SatAM I honestly hate because of how annoyingly grimdark it is and how uninteresting the SatAM characters are. I will never understand why this show is praised as much as it is.

Sonic X had a shitload of potential but the creators dropped the ball and the whole show ended up being a massive failure in my eyes. Once again, the core issue becomes the non-game universe characters being pathetically uninteresting or just outright bad and dragging the show down with it.

Edited by Chooch

I'll admit the one thing- aside from Chris- I disliked about Sonic X is its odd rewriting of the Sonic backstories. In the games, it's accepted that Sonic and company have always lived on Earth (Which makes sense, since Eggman's grandfather is from Earth). But Sonic X seems to make some bizarre concession to the SoA storyline, making the Sonic characters come from some other unnamed planet (an allusion to "Mobius" perhaps), an element of the show I always disliked.

I think it'd have made more sense if the characters were simply always on Earth. Thanks to X's story, many game fans try to grasp at straws as "proof" of Mobius's game canon status, something I'd like to see totally put down eventually.

That, and it doesn't make sense. How did Eggman get to Sonic's unnamed planet if his grandfather was from Earth? The show never explains this.

That, and it doesn't make sense. How did Eggman get to Sonic's unnamed planet if his grandfather was from Earth? The show never explains this.

Hence why a prequel could be good.

But yeah, I really didn't like that they "arrived in the real world" in Sonic X, have had to explain to MANY people that Sonic X is not canon and is not a prequel to Sonic Adventure.