Awoo.

Favorite Sonic Cartoon?

Segakid

Favourite Sonic cartoon? I dunno...........It's got to be a toss-up between AoStH and SatAM.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was hilarious. Scratch and Grounder were great comedic foils to the hilarious megalomaniac that is Robotnik. Sonic and Tails were both very funny, and the whole show just has this zany and bizarre atmosphere to it. It reminds me of those early 90's cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life, just with Sonic in it. And hey: it ACTUALLY STAYED TRUE TO THE GAMES, with music from the games, certain zones being represented, albeit weirdly (since when was The Marble Zone a volcanic crater, as opposed to Roman styled ruins with lava running through them?)

SatAM had a great and surprisingly deep plot for a childrens cartoon, awesome characters (Sally, Bunny and Rotor are awesome, dealwithit), above average animation (also for a childrens cartoon), JIM CUMMINGS AS ROBOTNIK, and it was just one of those shows that's fun to watch. The only real problems that I have with it are the fact that it ended on a cliffhanger, and that the subsequent comic series that featured all of the characters derailed them to the point where it's cringeworthy to even read some of the current comics.

Sonic Underground was crap, simple as that. It had virtually nothing to do with the games, aside from Sonic and Robotnik being in it, and the animation sucked. I don't think it was even meant to be a Sonic cartoon, I think some french guy was just trying to make some futuristic Fifth Element style cartoon, and a SEGA employee saw it and said "You know what this needs? ANTHROPOMORPHIC HEDGEHOGS THAT PLAY MUSIC! IT'LL BE GENIUS!!!11!!1". But it did have some

Narm Charm to it. Manic, Sleet and Dingo are funny, in a "How could they get away with this?" kind of way.

Sonic X was.......Awful. Chris was a terrible character, the animation was piss poor, even worse than Sonic Underground's, the voices were terrible (hey Jaleel White might have been annoying, but Jason Griffith takes 'annoying' to a whole new level), Eggman was quite possibly the most non-threatening villain in history, the Metarex arc was stupid, the Sonic Adventure and Sonic Battle arcs were butchered beyond belief, Tails and Amy did bugger all, The dialogue was so corny that it makes Twilight look like Great Expectations, it was just fucking terrible. Sonic Underground was so bad that it borderlined on so bad it's good, but Sonic X was just plain bad.

But out of AoStH and SatAM, I honestly can't pick which one I like better. I like both of them equally,

deal-with-it-gabe.jpg

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox

I was a Mario kid growing up. My very first game was Super Mario Bros. 3. My very first exposure to the Sonic series, somehow, ended up being Sonic Underground.

Needless to say, it holds a soft spot in my heart, regardless of its perceived quality. smile.png

The only Sonic cartoon which I saw multiple episodes of was Sonic X (4Kids dub). I liked it as a kid, but now I really hate it. Flanderization, spotlight-stealing Chris, and the episodes I saw had so-called "action scenes" which actually sucked, as well as episodes with plots/dialouge so boring I ended up changing the channel to something else at times, as well as a bunch of other things (the latter two is a personal thing, though). I've heard the original JP dub is much better, but I don't really like watching anime dubs (or anime in general for the most part, I'm afraid).

I only saw one/two episodes of AoSth on VHS, but I've seen a lot of AoSth-related things on YouTube. I guess I like that show for it's over-the-top cartooniness. Also liked Coconuts from the show. Other cartoons I additionally liked was the Sonic CD shorts, the Night of the Werehog short, the other Sonic Unleashed shorts, and the "Man of the Year" Sonic Jam short. Shame that last one wasn't continued.

Never saw SatAM or Underground.

I'd say the best "cartoon" was the OVA, as well as the animated Sonic CD shorts. Looking back on watching it (the OVA) for the first time, I'm surprised I didn't like it initially.

Edited by Ananze

If Nepenthe's going to call Night of the Werehog, I claim Sonic CD. Both sequences are filled with unabashed, impressive action with no plot to get in the way.

There's a fanmade DVD out there featuring cleaned-up versions of the cutscenes with every possible music choice to go with each one. It's an essential addition to anyone who cares enough, but I don't know if the torrent is alive any longer.

SatAM is special because it has Antoine.

Alright, then I call unleashed. Best opening evah! But probably Sonic X. I'm not usually into anime but I actually enjoyed it. I should probably watch some of the other ones first before I decide for sure though. :P

Best Sonic cartoon? The second Sonic X series (also known as season 3 here in the west), hand down.

The last third of that series was proabably the only time that a Sonic cartoon has felt genuinely exciting for me to watch as an adult (as a child i thought SatAM was epic, but when rewatching the series as an adult, only a handfull of episodes managed to truly capture me). Among all the reasons that Sega has not to do anymore "epic monster" finalies in the games, one is that there is no way they will be able to make it as epic as the one that ends the Sonic X saga. I must point out though that i am solely speaking about the Japanese version now. The 4kids version that completely messed up the part where Tails is forced to kill of his would-be love interest is a different story entirely.

On the topic of SatAM, i always feel inclined to point out that even though the series doesn't at all reach the standard of todays action cartoons, it was still much better than the majority of it's peers when it originally came out. With a few exceptions such as Gargoyles, Swat Kats, Batman: TAS and Pirates of Dark Water, action cartoons in 1993 (not counting anime) were almost as terrible as the garbage that plagued the 80's. So the sheer fact that SatAM had a sense of continuity and a villain that was not portrayed as an incompetent fool was enough to seem mature and sophisticated by comparasion. It's actually kinda similar to how the video game version of Sonic could be portrayed as the coolest, most badass platform-hero around on the basis that almost all other such characters intentionally tried to imitate Marios squeeky-clean image.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, There haven't been a Sonic cartoon that I could actually consider my favorite. Many of them just staying at the same level of favoritism...

AoSTh was the first sonic show I ever watched, and I was completly unaware SatAM even existed (I can't rememebr if it ever aired in Chilean networks) and while it had it shares of problems (mostly weird and forgettable one-shot characters and some crazy off-modeling) it was still funny enough to do what it wanted to do: entretain. Stil, for some weird reason it never caught much of my attention, as hammy as Robotnik was.

Again, never watched SatAM as a kid, and watching it as a grown-up didn't really gave me a good impression. Maybe it was good, for it's time, but considering many of the 90s timlesss cartoons, I just feel people tend to overrate this show.

Sonic Underground...ugh...I cans ee the idea of trying to mix funny with a deeper storyline like a combination of the first 2 shows) but it failed miserably to deliver that, with boring characters, AWFUL musical numbers shoehorned in the middle of the show and overall just plain bad.

Sonic X I really wanted to like it, I really really did. I remember hearing about the show coming soon back when I was beating SA2B, happy to see all the characters in a show mroe similar to the games. Sadly, what we got was an spoiled whinny brat that was supposed to be the character we had to relate to, butchered game plots, crude animations and the character's personalities being heavily flanderitized. Also, it may be a pet peeve but, am I the only one who hates how shamelesssly and badly they use the computer-generated effects? I know it's a way to make it look pretty and cheaper, but I don't know, seeing sonic's CGI spindash it didn't feel as satisfieing as when he does it in the OVA (not gonna include the other shows in this example because...well....I hated those spindashes too. Sure they were better than this, but sonic supposed to curl into a ball...not a freaky chainsaw!) or just that badly computer generated running animation against the good ol' infinity-shaped run.

I find the OVA pretty entretaining, Eggman being goofy but at the same time beign able to build threatening robots. And a pretty good aniamtion heavily inspired on CD. I still felt that the word was pretty empty, as only big empty spaces were shown and considering the fact it was just an OVA, was never able to take it's scenery beyond just that...scenery.

In a ironic twist, I really really REALLY like Night of the Werehog, the one short about the form that everyone hates.Werehog or not, it was a funny short that you could see effort oozing from every side. It made you feel the staff actually tryed to do soemthing both for them to have a blast as well as deliver soemthing ncie to the public. It also shows Sonic don't need over complicated plots to do soemthing good and heck, the fights were actually pretty well made. I'd love if SEGa could do more of these things.

Sonic OVA was the best. I don't have to explain.

Yes you do, m'dear. Otherwise the post is spam and this might as well be a list topic. Please explain why the OVA was best (:

Yes you do, m'dear. Otherwise the post is spam and this might as well be a list topic. Please explain why the OVA was best (:

Why, because it had the best style of animation out of all the cartoons (so similar to Sonic CD), a good plot, surprisingly good voice acting, and it was kept in a perfect juxtaposition of a light and darker mood. And it also featured Sara.

I also loved the character interpretation, I think it was even better than that in games. Everybody seemed more natural, for example Tails was not just a genius sidekick, he showed plenty of childishness. The characters were simply not as shallow.

I thought the reasons for liking OVA were quite blatant. That's why I didn't explain. tongue.png Actually, it would be hard (at least for me) to pick what's not to like in it.

Tough one...

I enjoyed the Looney Tunes inspired antics of the weekday show, I liked the darker side of SatAM, Sonic X I thought was fantastic (Japanese version) and Sonic Underground had it's moments. The 2 part 90's Japanese pilot was also cool (known now as the movie)

If I had to pick one.. Sonic X would probably take first place slightly beating SatAM

I actually loved AoStH for exactly some of the reasons that the NC gave for saying it was a bad show. ... and he did actually admit that it was quite fun to watch despite its flaws. Besides, I can't get on board with the opinions of the NC (much as I love him) when he completely trashes AoStH only to laud SatAM as if it were the greatest animated show ever. Don't get me wrong; I love SatAM. It comes right after AoStH for me in preference. But it was far from a perfect show and had plenty of flaws, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh, none of the Sonic cartoons has ever really stuck with me. I've watched all of SatAM and thought it was fairly decent, and I've seen a few episodes of AoStH, Underground and X and didn't really mind any of them (although Underground really just coasted by on nostalgia points, since it was my first Sonic cartoon). I've gotten some degree of enjoyment out of all of them all, but none of them ever made much of a long-term impression: I mean, I never, ever think about them unless someone else mentions them.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to go with the OVA as my favourite. I'm still lucky to remember that it exists, but when I do it usually puts a smile on my face. It captured the tone of the games fairly well (including probably my favourite non-game interpretation of Eggman), the animation was pretty decent, the music was good, and Sara was surprisingly endearing for a whole-cloth character*. The voice acting was a bit wobbly and the setting could've used some more definition, sure, but for what it is it's a fun little movie.

*One of my greatest wishes is to be able to go back in time to Sonic '06's early development, show the writers the OVA and scream MAKE ELISE LIKE THIS YOU MORONS a bunch of times.

It looks like people are forgetting a couple of things about the NC;

-It's an exaggerated character not meant to completely be accurate to Doug's views.

- [The important part] Doug later made a commentary where he explains his stance on AoStH better as well as points out some flaws he found with SatAM (the Sally fans being one of them, in a way...he made a reference to the bunnie boobies skit when he was talking about her, to wit. unsure.png ).

I still like AoStH the most due to how funny and charming I found it back in the day (and still do; late Long John Baldry, you never get old).

OVA

Because Tails was adorably childish whilst retaining his technological knowledge, and Sonic was at his most badass, and I explained why not long ago on the Sega forums.

Eggman was his goofy,amusing self and was really entertaining to watch, though certainly could have definitely done with being more imposing.

The only thing is Knuckles, who really doesn't seem himself, there's an entertaining friendly rivalry going on here though, then there's Sera, who's personality (and Sonic's treatment of her) is suspiciously similar to Amy Rose's.

The thing with sonic X, I think it's good at first, and deteriorates, so that it's hard to pinpoint where it does so, it was fun seeing Sonic tease the SSSS in the first episode, be an arrogant prat in the second episode, take the mick out of Eggman in the third, Eggman being totally careless about killing Chris in episode four, Sonic taking the everloving piss out of Knuckles in episode 5.

Sonic X is a series often criticised for Sonic being a marty-stu, but early in the series he was a part-time jerk ( I have to remember that one) as he was in the OVA, albeit in a different sense.

The deterioration is quite clearly linked to Chris's role in the anime, as Sonic gets close to Chris he becomes exactly what people criticise his Sonic X portrayal for, and other character's personalities get changed and neglected in order to 'make way.'

Edited by Mysterics

So do you have an opinion about it, or...

I agree almost entirely with the Nostalgia Critic on this one - and I'm sure that his videos are far more interesting to watch than my equivalent posts are to read.

When it comes to SatAM, I consider it to be a prime example of how good DiC can be when it comes to writing shows. However, that's all I really consider it to be. I DON'T consider SatAM to be some kind of crowning achievement for the Sonic series because it wasn't Sonic's show (It was Sally's show) and is so vastly divorced from the rest of the series. You could replace Sonic, Tails and Robotnik with original generic animal/human character(s) and you still wouldn't be able to see many resemblances to Sonic, Tails and Robotnik from the games because the games characters personalities are so warped, so Flanderized.

If there's a complaint I have about spotlight stealers such as Sally Acorn and Christopher Thorndike in the animated shows, it's that they undeservedly leech screentime and development from much more deserving characters, Tails in particular. Both characters also brought out the worst in Sonic; Jealousy and loathesome arrogance out of Sonic in Sally's case and favoritism and selfishness out of Sonic in Chris' case. And it's not as if other characters were focused-upon when it came to their connection to Sonic in a way that brought out the positivities in Sonic's character.

Instead, episodes like Sonic X episode 51 show that Sonic is thoroughly willing to abandon the people he's been friends with for far longer than Chris just to satiate that whiny brat's "Sonic is mine and mine only!" selfishness. Friends mean nothing to X Sonic, he's more loyal to his freedom and that useless Wesley than to people who genuinely care about him, hence why he was fully willing to remain with Chris on Earth than go back to his own world and the friends waiting for him, who were most likely wondering where the hell he is and whether or not the portal to their world misplaced Sonic or even killed him on the way through.

Whilst in SatAM, Sally's "Treat 'em mean keep 'em keen" attitude in "Warp Sonic" brought out both intense jealousy in Sonic as well as loathesome arrogance. SatAM Sonic is painted in such a way in that episode that it truly makes him unlikeable, it's not as if it was a case of "Here's Sonic's negatives. They're acceptable as a means of explaining why Sonic is not perfect", it was basically character slaughter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree almost entirely with the Nostalgia Critic on this one - and I'm sure that his videos are far more interesting to watch than my equivalent posts are to read.

Not really, no. For starters, it is practically impossible to hold a discussion with someone who dumps a video link and says "I think what he thinks."

Particularly not when people fail to recognize Poe's Law surrounding the NC and critics similar to him.

Instead, episodes like Sonic X episode 51 show that Sonic is thoroughly willing to abandon the people he's been friends with for far longer than Chris just to satiate that whiny brat's "Sonic is mine and mine only!" selfishness.

The really fun part about that is, Chris did the same thing to the friends he already had. He had those lovely racially-diverse tagalongs well before Sonic showed up, and instantly abandoned them after Sonic did.

So, we were supposed to connect with a character who was such a selfish asshole that he not only walked away from his friends the second he found someone cooler to hang out with, but spent every second that Sonic had to be away from him whining and moaning about how no one liked him when Sonic wasn't around. Including those episodes where he acted all angsty because his parents didn't love him enough, even though it was clear as day that they were willing to drop everything at a moment's notice to spend time with him if he would ask.

Edited by TGaP Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

The really fun part about that is, Chris did the same thing to the friends he already had. He had those lovely racially-diverse tagalongs well before Sonic showed up, and instantly abandoned them after Sonic did.

So, we were supposed to connect with a character who was such a selfish asshole that he not only walked away from his friends the second he found someone cooler to hang out with, but spent every second that Sonic had to be away from him whining and moaning about how no one liked him when Sonic wasn't around. Including those episodes where he acted all angsty because his parents didn't love him enough, even though it was clear as day that they were willing to drop everything at a moment's notice to spend time with him if he would ask.

And yet you can notice a pattern with these two Wesley's (Christopher Thorndike and Sally Acorn) - They're both more possessive of Sonic than Amy Rose ever was. They make her Sonic fixation look sane. And, ROFL! The Sally and/Or Chris loving masses love to slander Amy specifically for her possessiveness over Sonic, oblivious or ignoring the indisputable fact that their favourite character(s) are much worse offenders.

You know you're a loathesome Wesley when you expect the world to remain in time stasis all for the sake of a selfish 'friendship', especially when you've already got a clique of friends and a family that cares about you. It reflects so negatively on Sonic because this brat has all the people he'll ever need to live a happy life without him yet he is fully prepared to cut his ties with his other friends just to satisfy Chris' wishes.

You also know you're a Wesley when you go from openly professing affection including kissing to the main character (Sonic) and then proceed to flirt with this Johnny-come-lately (Griff) as if Sonic doesn't exist. The comics show Sally's Possession-Sue traits even better.

IMO, these two characters have a well deserved Hatedom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Verte, Tornado save your breaths, lets let the good doctor himself tell us why Chris sucks so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZb49JDCZNw

There's a reason why Eggman is one of my favorite characters.

As for Sally...she's the severe victim of bad writing because she wasn't that bad at the start of SATAM, before becoming the Mary Sue that we all know her as today.

• Thumbs Up 8