Awoo.

Favorite Sonic Cartoon?

Segakid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZb49JDCZNw

There's a reason why Eggman is one of my favorite characters.

Without a doubt that scene is amongst X Eggman's Crowning Moments. Slaughtered of course in the dub. He sees right through Chris' facade and even tricks Chris into confirming what he thought by lying about being involved in the time problem and therefore seeing Chris' reaction to it in order to gauge Chris' selfishness. This part is missing from that video there.

Label X Eggman a buffoon all you want, the man has a knack for seeing through facades and delivering the home truths.

Now if only Sally Acorn got one in the Archie comics. Oh wait, she's such an author's pet that all her wrongdoing is glossed over as a non-issue and she always has to be the The Wesley that must always be shilled because she's perfect.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

My problem with Sally that I never had with Chris was that there is a good character there, but most of the time the writer's just don't bother. Obviously Chris never had that problem because he was basically designed to be terrible, but Sally in Season One of SatAM Sally actually tended to seem rather well-rounded. Not the pantheon of writing, no (then again no one in SatAM was), but not the clingy Sue nonsense that she is today.

Edited by TGaP Tornado

Now if only Sally Acorn got one in the Archie comics. Oh wait, she's such an author's pet that all her wrongdoing is glossed over as a non-issue and she always has to be the The Wesley that must always be shilled because she's perfect.

Actually Eggman gives her one too in issue #225 right he before he fills her with lead....its so satisfying.

Looks from 7:00 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsT5UVBJqo

Eggman seems to have a knack for giving Scrappies what they deserve.

Edited by Shadic93

Instead, episodes like Sonic X episode 51 show that Sonic is thoroughly willing to abandon the people he's been friends with for far longer than Chris just to satiate that whiny brat's "Sonic is mine and mine only!" selfishness. Friends mean nothing to X Sonic, he's more loyal to his freedom and that useless Wesley than to people who genuinely care about him, hence why he was fully willing to remain with Chris on Earth than go back to his own world and the friends waiting for him, who were most likely wondering where the hell he is and whether or not the portal to their world misplaced Sonic or even killed him on the way through.

I think Sonic knew Chris would admit he was wrong in the end, and dislike it I may, Sonic took the chance he had to say goodbye in private, but no, I do not like how episode 51 was written, It wouldn't be like Sonic for him to just take that sort behaviour because 'oh well he'll eventually come around.'

Edited by Mysterics

I think Sonic knew Chris would admit he was wrong in the end, and as much as it kills me, Sonic took the chance he had to say goodbye in private, but no, I do not like how episode 51 was written, It wouldn't be like Sonic for him to just take that sort behaviour because 'oh well he'll eventually come around.'

This is something I have suspected as well, because X Sonic always did seem to have a silent wisdom, intelligence about him. There were some subtle things in episode 51 that seemed to imply that Sonic was giving Chris time in order to come to terms with separation.

It was Sonic who squeezed Chris' hand back and took charge in running away from Lindsey, Nelson, Chuck and the others. Heck, he was even willing to let Chris decide where they were going. And Sonic's later insistence that "Friendship is freedom" struck a chord. I suppose it's debatable about Sonic's willingness to abandon the friends he had if his aim all along was to subtly aid Chris into giving him up.

Why do I having this sneaking suspicion that I'm gonna love Sonic X when I start watching it?

Well I'm 5 episodes in and so far, I'm enjoying it.

Looking back, none of the shows were really that good. Either the shows didn't feel at all like a Sonic show (SatAM, Underground), or really was not well polished (Sonic X, AoStH). And that's.. well, all the shows Sonic had... besides the OVA, which was really well written and animated, but was sadly very short lived since it was a failed pilot for an anime-turned-exclusive-animation.

That said, I have many good memories of AoStH, nevertheless. The show still managed to be very funny, even while the animation and art was endearingly bad. PS: Baldry will forever be Robotnik <3

Edited by Azukara

AoStH was my childhood favorite just because it made me laugh. I didn't like SatAM at the time as much just because I wasn't into the darker stuff (plus Sonic's catchphrases were embarrassing to listen to, even at that age). I also didn't like the Archie characters as much as the game characters, and I still don't. I saw like one episode of Underground and absolutely hated it, what with the music, Knuckles's voice, and the complete lack of any relation to the game. Sonic X was a mixed bag, because the parts with the game characters felt very true to the games, which I loved. I also liked some of the added characterization, like Knuckles being even more short-tempered and Amy being really violent, which made her more fun to watch. But, of course, no one liked Chris or the human characters, including me. It's a shame really, since the rest of the aspects of the show weren't that bad. Although Sonic was a bit TOO laid-back.

I really liked the OVA as a kid too, and I actually watched it again a few months ago. Surprisingly, I still really love it alot! The animation is great, it's very true to the games, the main focus are the awesome trio of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, Metal Sonic is in it, and it's actually still pretty funny (c'mon, how can you not enjoy seeing Tails accidentally grope someone?). Unlike pretty much all the other Sonic animation, the OVA has aged very well in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Can you remember all of the Sonic Shows aired in the United States? Well they consist of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground (oh joy), and Sonic X. Well, I was wondering what your opinions were on your favorite of these. Mine is Sonic X

AoSTH. Although I watched only a few episodes of it, I still find it miles more entertaining than Sonic X.

Can you remember all of the Sonic Shows aired in the United States? Well they consist of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground (oh joy), and Sonic X. Well, I was wondering what your opinions were on your favorite of these. Mine is Sonic X

Assuming from the version of the intro song you posted, I'm assuming you watch the 4Kids dub. You should try watching the Original Japanese dub, with subtitles. Heck, 4Kids even have some on their channel! (Not all though): http://www.youtube.com/show?p=vAfzWwpEp2Q&s=1 (The ones that have "Sub" at the end of the title are originals with subtitles in english). It's far better then the English dub.

And for comparison, I will post the Japanese version of the intro.

Assuming from the version of the intro song you posted, I'm assuming you watch the 4Kids dub. You should try watching the Original Japanese dub, with subtitles. Heck, 4Kids even have some on their channel! (Not all though): http://www.youtube.c...vAfzWwpEp2Q&s=1 (The ones that have "Sub" at the end of the title are originals with subtitles in english). It's far better then the English dub.

And for comparison, I will post the Japanese version of the intro.

Adventures, just for the wackiness. It's just so amazingly insane. It's barely ever a genuinely good television program, but it's just so unintentionally hilarious. It's like SEGA just handed a Genesis and some weed to a few DiC animators and said "make us a show."

• Thumbs Up 1

Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog.

It was one of my favorite shows to watch as a kid. I was always excited to watch a new episode while playing with my Sonic toy, and then play Sonic 2 afterwards. And I loved Dr. Robotnik, to me, he stole the show.

Good times.

Also, this thread is in the wrong sub forum. It should be in the "Sonic Discussion" sub forum.

Edited by Robogaman

SatAM, but not for the reasons most people like it. The show got me into Sonic and defined Sonic's character to me. He is the reason why I love the show so much, and anyone who states that he's only an idiotic jerk hasn't paid enough attention to his characterization to notice his other traits. Yes, he suffers from 90's corniness, but I find him a very fun protagonist who is willing to put aside his arrogance and ego when it really counts. I could tl;dr about this guy, I enjoy him that much. The way I see it, he should be judged on his own merits rather than compared to his game counterpart. Separate characters with the same name, abilities, and species.

But I also enjoy the other Freedom Fighters and their dynamic with Sonic, especially Sally's. Yes, I ship it, but that's not the only reason. Their bickering makes me grin, and to me she's a great foil for Sonic. He rushes into a situation, she uses her head. Ant is... pretty stereotypical, but his goofiness is amusing. Tails should have had more screentime, but I think he had a few good moments.

I like the world of Mobius and would love to learn more about it. It had some cool concepts, like the Void, Lower Mobius, and Maga that, while not the most original, I would have loved to see explored more.

As for Robotnik, I'm one of the few SatAM fans who doesn't think he's this ultimate, evil villain. In many cases, he makes some pretty stupid decisions, and his over the top evilness ends up pretty hammy on occasion. When it's not, he's just kinda... there. A decent threat for the Freedom Fighters, but not the ideal Robotnik/Eggman by any means.

So, again, for me it's about SatAM's version of Sonic, the Freedom Fighters, 90's camp, and the world.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 7

I honestly don't have a favorite show, each one of them pisses me off in some way, but if I had to choose....I'd go with Aosth.

In order from first to last on my list:

1. Sonic X - Eggman is well-characterized, sympathetic, and hilarious throughout. Fairly close to the games, despite the addition of Chris as a major downside to the series.

2. Sonic OVA - I love everything about the OVA. Eggman is awesome, and I actually enjoy the OVA's new characters President, Sera, and Old Man Owl. The plot is simple and sweet, but it's loads of fun.

3. AoStH - My favorite of the western cartoons, AoStH had the hammy flamboyant Robotnik I know and love, as well as a tenuous attempt to reference the games in many cases. It wasn't a very good show, technically speaking, but I liked it.

4. Sonic Underground - I didn't really like this show at all, but the reason it's higher than SatAM is that the villains have a little more personality in my opinion. SU Robotnik had some great dialogue with his lackeys Sleet and Dingo, and three played off one another really well. This Robotnik was a little more prone to making humorous quips than the SatAM version, so as much as I disliked the siblings, the songs, and everything else, it just barely wins out.

5. SatAM - I just find no one in this show interesting. Robotnik is dull, Snively is dull, Sonic is dull, the Freedom Fighters are dull. Archie would later fix some of that, but in this show, I could just never get invested in any of the characters. I do see the appeal, I really do, but the show just wasn't for me.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I actually perfer Sonic X, because it has most of the recent characters and also up to date designs ect. It had good stuff in it (minus chris) but it drew me in more then the others (which I still love) Even Sonic underground had an interesting plot line. All had its ups and downs but in the end I have to pick Sonic X.

Even though I love SatAM, for the story, and Sonic X, for the action and game adaptions. My favorite cartoon would have to be the Sonic OVA because it sort of defined Sonic, by Japan's views. We know Sonic didn't live on Planet Freedom, but the setting is past cool. At least the call his home South Island, like the games. It also brought the feeling of the games in various scenes(minus the loops and corkscrews). Also, Sonic moved a lot like he was a DBZ character: AWESOME!!! The sad part is that it didn't live beyond the OVA. I would of loved an anime series like this. I would change my mind is SatAM hade more than two seasons, considering it would have began to follow the games. Nonetheless, RIP Ben Hurst.

Edited by superblacktigerman

I going to have to say SATAM is my personal favorite, because that was one awesome adventure show!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. SatAM: I never really got to see the entire series till the days of the Internet, but I did catch a few episodes on Channel 4 early in the mornings. Most of the time i'd just miss it but when I did see it I loved it. The darker setting, the character development, action and the music made this show a ton of fun to watch. My favorite Sonic cartoon of the lot.

2. Sonic X (Japanese): While this series gets a lot of hate, I do enjoy this one. I liked how it was closer to the games and Season 3 I really enjoyed. Like many others, it's Chris and the human characters that annoy me the most about the series. It's near the end of season 2 when I began to hate Chris even more as a character. Annoying and selfish. The animation is also a mixed bag as again most of us know. Times it looked pretty nice but other times it looked pretty darn bad. But besides my issues with it I did enjoy some of the action and the comedy, especially with Eggman. Eggman made the comedy a lot more enjoyable.

3. Sonic The Hedgehog OVA: I didn't learn about this till an issue of STC where the VHS was up for a prize. It wasn't till years later I saw the film and it was great fun. The animation looked really nice, the action was good, the soundtrack I wished they actually put onto CD and the comedy was brill. Many times me and my friends just broke out into laughter in some parts. The english dub at times is also pretty hilarious. Martin Burke Sonic = the Lolz.

4. AOSTH: This was the first Sonic cartoon I saw as a kid. I had volume 1 on VHS and boy did I love it. The comedy never got old for me and even today I find some episodes funny. I see the humor now being much older to be funnier in how darn cheesy it is, and of course it's now a big sorce for Youtube Poop.

5. Sonic Underground: I remember when I first saw this show on Diggit. I'll be surprised if anyone remembers that. I remember loving the theme song as a kid and the inclusion of Knuckles for the first time in a Sonic cartoon was enjoyable. Years later and owning the complete series on DVD, it's easily my least favorite Sonic cartoon. A lot of the songs are forgettable and sung hilariously bad most of the time. Although I like 1 or 2 songs. It tried to hard to be like SatAM and was nowhere near as good. The characters recycled voice clips far to often which was quite annoying after a while. I don't hate the show, heak I like it in some areas but it's easily the least intresting.