Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

Turned my 360 on with the expectation of finding the Sonic Generations demo up. It's not up.

Slightly frustrated.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, anyone who's played it yet, what are your thoughts?

Personally, I thought it was really close to the classics, the jump felt fine and Sonic was really responsive. I thought the graphics were amazing before, but now I've actually seen them up close on my HDTV they are absolutely beautiful. As we already knew, the music kicks all kinds of ass and the Sonic 1 Ending jingle used for the title screen is an awesome little touch.

The demo is indeed limited to 20 days and there is a countdown on the title screen which says 'There are X days remaining on this game'.

My ONLY slight issue is with the spindash, and I think it's been noted in some previews before. I'm fine with just using the Square/X button to power it up (although I still prefer Down+X/A) but when you release it, it seems to run out of power very quickly compared to the Classics.

For example, if you go to an area in the demo where there are 2 consecutive loops going downhill, stand at the top, charge the spindash and then let go, and don't touch the controller, he'll run out of power before the second loop. I urge other people to have a go at this just in case it's me being thick though.

All in all it's a solid demo, and with plenty of time until release, I can only see it getting better. I am majorly pumped for November (not that I wasn't already :P)

EDIT: After playing through it again, I'm not really sure what the problem is. The spindash to me feels absolutely perfect on flat(ish) ground, for example if you do it right from the start. The distance he goes and speed decreases etc, look absolutely spot on.

Those loops though, it just doesn't look right. I was expecting something like the end of Mushroom Hill (Act 1 I believe) blasting through those loops and into the boss but it just doesn't happen.

I would like to make clear that this is only a minor niggle for me and it doesn't affect what is overall a great game.

Edited by TranslucentDuck

It's at times like this I'm glad I have a PS3.

It's also at times like this that I curse how useless it's wifi connection is.

Still, I'll have it downloaded soon, I guess.

New Zealand needs it's demo too!

Oh well. I can wait until tomorrow.who am i trying to convince? : (

It's at times like this I'm glad I have a PS3.

It's also at times like this that I curse how useless it's wifi connection is.

Still, I'll have it downloaded soon, I guess.

Disappointed that it's only Classic Sonic but still had fun with it. I was left a bit unsatisfied after the demo but I'd blame that on the shortness of it - almost as soon as I had started to get into it, it ended! Hungry for more though, I quite hope they release another demo at some point sooner or later.

Edited by Flint

Played the demo. Sonic's spindash is fine, however he doesn't maintain much momentum if you're running then ball up (without spindashing). Sometimes Sonic feels like he's too sluggish, but only sometimes. Not fond of the time it takes Sonic to get off his arse after you hit spikes.

Looks amazing though, and sounds excellent. Good stuff, Sega.

The game feels great on my second play. I found new routes, sometimes on purpose sometimes not, and had an absolute blast. Fuck the haters, this Sonic is good.

Still one little niggle though: Sometimes Sonic feels more sluggish than others. There's a point in the level with three steps, it's kinda underground but not that big cavern near the end, and Sonic feels heavier there than elsewhere, like it takes more effort to jump and move. Odd.

BillClinton-DNC-8-27-2008.jpg

My fellow Americans!

The demo is NOW UP in the U S of A!!!

Will post impressions in a tad.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just downloading it from the UK Xbox Live Marketplace now. Will share my thoughts soon.

So... I've played through the demo several times now and I think it's about time to post what my thoughts are.

I can see where the sentiments that 'Sonic feels too heavy' comes from, it takes a long time for him to wind down the speed and I found that I was missing platforms that I felt I should have been able to land easily. IMO, If they lightened him up just a little and made him a bit more nimble then we have a BIG winner in terms of physics and a great 2D engine on our hands. Bounce height I was fine with, bouncing on top of enemies in succession is greatly satisfying.

The level design and aesthetics I can fan about all day. Honestly, I LOVE this layout for Green Hill and the amount of little things I was finding meant the demo was still full of surprises even after many tries. The Hedgehog engine shines and the animations are all brilliant and sometimes humorous. Sonic's death pose and the expression on Sonic's face... Priceless :lol:

Sound wise, again I love it. Especially the shift in pace and tone when you grab the speed-shoes. I think that the speed-shoes theme is a slightly remixed version of the original stage with an increased tempo and more percussion and I think it works well. Sound effects I think you've all heard enough of in Youtube vids to get what they're like. All great. The only thing which may not have been picked up on is revving a spindash manually (Down and mashing jump). Again, it was hugely satisfying to rev up to what sounds like an obscenely high level and let it go.

Overall... I absolutely loved this demo and it has certainly made me hungry for more. I'm hoping that Sega can use the reception of this demo to fine tune the classic segments of the game even further and I do have faith that fine tuning will be done. The modern stages, whilst I have not tried them, I think we have played enough unleashed and colours to understand how it will handle. I don't have any fears regarding modern game play in that respect. :)

Keep up the great effort Sonic Team! You're almost there. :)

Played it! Awesome game...the demo though, is seriously lacking it content! I don't know why the graphics don't...uh, look as good as it should.

Hurry UP November!!! I can't wait to play the full game and try out Modern Sonic...oh yeah, Summer of Sonic is just 2 days away!! At least I can take Modern Sonic for a spin.

Edited by KrazyBean14

Okay, can someone rip this off of their Xbox to upload for non-Gold subscribers, since Microsoft doesn't think about people who are broke?

Please? ;^;

>Jump on SSMB

>Everyone saying the demo is up

>Go to the store

>longest update ever

>been 10 minutes and only 8% done

>FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I can't wait to play this, but it looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow *sigh*. That or stay up until like 4:30 am, X_x.

Anyways, someone should rip a high quality rip of the GHZ music so I can has masturbate furiously.

Absolutely love it, though at parts Sonic can be too heavy resulting in a missed platform. Fastest time - 1:02:12 :)

This game.

THIS GAME.

First of all, no, the game doesn't feel exactly like the originals. Does that matter? No, you ninnies! Because you'll be too busy having FUN playing Sonic Generations!

See this?

20rljxj.jpg

You can't do that anymore!

But what about momentum!?

2dtrb68.jpg

They remembered you, physics!

Sonic's jump takes some getting used to, but not much! Bouncing off of enemies is fixed, however, but that's minor. I actually prefer it, because it's used to the level's design, maaaaannnn!

Also, speed shoes!

34xhqfb.jpg

They return, and the music goes faster! (So does Sonic)

Rolling physics! Sadly, not as good as the classics. Gladly, not as bad as Sonic 4! Sonic's roll is determined on his previously attained momentum alone, without the terrain making a big difference. I'm okay with this, though.

You know why?

Because it still has momentum!

Hedgehog Engine = eyegasm! This is by far the most beautiful Sonic game yet!

Classic Sonic looks cute! Uguu~

And this game is FUN to speedrun! Charge that spindash and goooooooooo!

THIS GAME GETS:

5 RINGS

331hoar.jpg331hoar.jpg331hoar.jpg331hoar.jpg331hoar.jpg

OUT OF 5

iyl6xf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Had 4 plays with the Xbox 360 version and I'm enjoying it. I've got my wife and her friend to have a go on it too :lol: Anyway, I'm not sure I like the heavy jumping, but I guess I can get used to it. Physics are pretty spot on and I'm so glad there's no uncurling off of ramps. I actually like the X button spin dash and prefer it over stopping and holding down and tapping A. I love the faster speed compared to the classics too. Oh, and the music is awesome.

Definitely more hyped for the game now.

P.S.: Love the various waiting animations from all of the classic games they've put in there :D

Just had a couple of run throughs of Sonic Generations and thought I'd post my opinions :)

The visuals look absolutely stunning, and Classic Sonic also looks really cute. During my first run, I found the jumping a little off, and as others have mentioned, that Sonic feels a little heavy - but when I got onto my second run, I had almost completely adapted to the jumping and got used to it, so I have no complaints there.

The physics are MUCH improved in comparison to Sonic 4 - no longer can you run round the loops with little momemtum - do it in this game and you go flying to the bottom so again, thumbs up there.

It's great hearing the Green Hill remix in full, too - it sounds absolutely fantastic.

All in all, my excitement levels for November have risen considerably, and I for one cannot wait until the full release in November - I honestly beleive Sega has nailled it :D !!!

EDIT : I've left the game on in the background so I can listen to the music in its entirety, and the 10 minute time limit is no more

Edited by Ryan91

I can't find the demo on PSN. I guess the demo is not out for it yet.

Edited by Preston

ARGH I can't find the damn thing. And I saw someone post from the states... so I know I'm not crazy.

The demo is glitchy at some places. Seems like this is the Beta-Version(look at sonic's eyes at the goal).

I played on both systems 360 and PS3... And again.. On the 360 it works smoother. I mean.. on the PS3 it gets very blurry at higher speed.

Let's see how it will be in the full version.

Gameplay:

I'm satisfied with the spin dash! I just love it. :)

The handling of C. Sonic is good.. but it could be a bit better on my opinion.

What I am disappointed about at the moment are this kind of "automated" places. This are also the places where the Spin Dash isn't working perfectly.

Out of 10 Points I give Sonic Generations 9,9 Points! :P

If the problems are solved it will get its 0,1 Points back. ;)

PSN Download - 10% in about 30-45 mins.

XBL Download - 20% in a minute.

:lol: