Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

I like how at the Start of the Level Sonic progressively reflects the Enviorment. At the bgeinning he is shaodwy but then the lighting kicks in more and more...

The demo. Bot PS3 and 360. The scrolling is horrible...can't se whats going on when Sonic's running/spinning so fast.

And all the colors blends in with the background.

Terrible. Take a lap.

sorry you feel that way

:/

Okay, so I'm playing it through a couple of more times and I'm gonna try pinpointing what I don't like about this in so far.

First the obvious nitpicking.

- The way the level is constructed sometimes misleads me into thinking there is an alternate path or solid ground to tread, it's pretty confusing.

- Sonic's animation is incredibly jerky at times, spin dashing and running in 2.5D during upward motions in particular makes me believe that the movement engine isn't finalized. At several times I managed to lock up Sonic into an animation that made him look like he was going to spin dash out into a 3D space.

As for my main problems,

- This is definitely something I can see fixed in the future and I think it's been fixed already in the other builds, but for a game so aesthetically gorgeous, the graphical inconsistencies are way too glaring. I'm not a graphics whore but this is incredibly jarring.

- The momentum works for the most of the part, but the collision detection is incredibly wonky. I think I've managed to break control of Sonic at least three times. This might sound petty, but honestly, I'd say getting this wrong would ultimately bode far more worse than anything else this game could potentially do wrong.

- Some elements of the game play feel way too scripted, and I'm not talking about the segments where Sonic rolls through pipe tunnels, but some elements where I'd hit a horizontal spring and roll upward through a quarter circle curve. This might be what led me to discover the above issue I had of poor collision detection since he'd position himself automatically or moving him would feel plain awkward.

- The rolling. Honestly, I'm inclined to believe it was even more useful in Sonic 4. You're better off spin dashing constantly, it has practically no momentum in it what so ever, and its atrocious.

- Speaking of spin dashing, it's ridiculously overpowered. The fact that they hot keyed this is probably going to make speed runs far more patronizing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I can sort of see where Michael Meyers is coming with that the colors blend with the background. If it weren't for the abysmally low enemy count on the screen I'd probably get hit more than I can count.

Edited by Carbo

Can't wait to try out Modern Sonic @ SoS! After playing Sonic Unleashed for 3 years, my body is ready! B)

I honestly feel like I'm waaaay too lenient of a gamer sometimes. The only complaints I have about the gameplay, is the jumping being a bit heavier(we'll probably get used to it).

And my second complaint isn't anything serious but it's annoying that he uncurls in those automated segments lol. Anyways, it plays different from the classics,

but I think it's a bit neat, since ALL 3 of the original titles played a bit different from each other. The spindash will take getting used to, nothing worth

complaining about imo, I have no idea what framerate issues people are complaining about. The game ran near perfect for me.

I just tested the ability to speedrun with the classic sonic.

For Green Hill.. It's perfect! You have to adjust when you actually need to spin dash(the longer you hold the faster you are). When it's actually worth it.

You have to search for the perfect road. The top roads are the fastest. The lowest is the slowest(lol).

But less is sometimes more. You have to slow down at some places to get to the top!. :3

My personal record is a bit less than 1min. Don't know the exact time.. about 00:59:34 ^^

I just re-read the description for the demo (in the PSN Store):

"Play as both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in the ultimate Sonic celebration."

So Modern Sonic is somewhere tucked in to this demo? Hope so...please...

EDIT: Full description:

Sonic's universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power comes into force, creating 'time holes' which take Sonic and his friends back in time. Revisit some of the most iconic environments of the past 20 years, playing as Classic Sonic in re-imagined 2D side scrolling levels, and as Modern Sonic in all new, stunning 3D levels. Will they find out who is behind this diabolical deed?

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

Btw, I played the game in both 3D and 2D. The 3D actually helps a bit, since in 2D it's kinda hard to focus on Sonic with so much going on in the stage.

This odd, since I usually despise 3D in most cases.

Just played the demo three times over and I wont deny that I was entertained and mesmerized.

However, there's a few tiny hiccups.

I found that no matter how much I tried, I couldn't "Rebound-Jump" off of surfaces if I spindashed up them. Loop-de-loops uncommonly glitched for me, sometimes making Sonic come to a stop if I attempted to traverse them. C Sonic is DEFINATELY faster than the one in the MD games in a normal run. And I found that if you're on a spring, it's physics are off a bit from the classics, meaning it's harder to make great horizontal distance on them if they're the upright spring type (DOESN'T APPLY to the tilted spring type).

Spindash feels 'off' but not grievously so.

Everytime I play through, I discover something new about the physics lol.

I played the demo around 5-10 times.

I can see a few fixes here & there they could apply and to tell you the truth i can see them doing that.

Let me mention 3.

1) Spindash make it one press and off you go 2) the rolling needs to be a little stronger 3) the rebound jump needs a little tweaking.

Finally, I have only one thing to say about Sonic Generations..

I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT!!! NOVEMBER IS REALLY FAR AWAY!!!

Oh one other thing too...i wish Modern Sonic was there T_T

Edited by frokenok3

So what's up with Classic Sonic since they sadly disbanded the Modern Demo?

I have some questions--

Does he feel somewhat Heavy?

Answer that and I'll be satisfied. And one more thing.

I already know he is, but on 2d segments, is t Classic faster Than modern?

I'm a wizard.

sonicthewizard.png

Also the one Motobug in the stage that can charge at you with rocket boosters or something like that also does a little dance if he hits you.

• Thumbs Up 4

The spindash may seem over powered, but it fits the new level design.

Can't say I love it yet, it'll take some getting used to.

Enemies are placed to set up hidden springs, capsules, or branching paths.

I'm a wizard.

sonicthewizard.png

Also the one Motobug in the stage that can charge at you with rocket boosters or something like that also does a little dance if he hits you.

I know Classic Sonic is fat, but he needs to loose some weight. He's far too heavy, and moving him around in mid air especially when going fast is very difficult. Slow him down a down a bit, fix the rolling and really loosen up the controls some, then SEGA have a winner. A real winner.

The demo. Bot PS3 and 360. The scrolling is horrible...can't se whats going on when Sonic's running/spinning so fast.

And all the colors blends in with the background.

So for Xbox people, you can only get it if you're a Gold Member right? I don't want to waste the time and connect my 360 if that is true.

And yeah, is it even available in the USA?

Edited by RidersDX