Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

While you cool guys Time Attack, I'm going to collect as many rings as I can.

2r3ywl4.jpg

Ring Attacker for life, baby!

(disregard the year on my camera... it's a retarded camera)

• Thumbs Up 1

The demo is fun enough. Sonic feels a bit heavy when jumping, and Sonic becomes a tad bit frustrating to control on slopes. The spindash sometimes won't work properly on them and it gets kind of frustrating when you're going to a good time (best time is 1:00:68 so far). Speaking of the spindash, it's useful (except on certain slopes that for reason in particular like to be a bitch), too useful. Like there's no reason to even run anymore because the spindash is that damn fast. It charges up quickly, and once it's done, you can do it again in a snap.

There are plenty of areas that are, as far as I know, automated, and they feel automated too, which really isn't good. The level is well designed enough; there are a nice selection of paths for you to choose and a bunch of shortcuts and goodies for you to find. If the game were to tone down the automated feeling then I would say that it's pretty fantastic.

Now I've encountered a few glitches too.

-First off is a ramp that has a set of spikes lying at the end. Sonic tends to bounce off of the spikes when he hits them on the side, making me try going up the ramp again.

-I've gotten one of the S-shaped tubes to not work properly.

-I've fallen through the floor once, during the the wooden bride thing that spirals around the hill right after a loop (around the same place in Dusk Golem's rather humorous picture).

I think there was more, but I can't be bothered to remember them.

So... it's fun, I'll give it that, but there are problems, lots of them.

Downloading on my brother's PSN fingy.

I just wanna say, fuck the spamdash

Okaythxbay

I just want to say that you have the option to use the normal Spindash.

Okaythxbay

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I know Classic Sonic is fat, but he needs to loose some weight. He's far too heavy, and moving him around in mid air especially when going fast is very difficult. Slow him down a down a bit, fix the rolling and really loosen up the controls some, then SEGA have a winner. A real winner.

LOL, he needs to lay of the Chilli Dogs :D

I can't find the demo on XBL. Where is it? >.<

If you have a Gold account, go to Demos and it should be there. If you have a Silver account, you have to wait for a week.

Seriously though I think the Spindash hotkey is perfect for speed runs and I can't wait to perfect it like in that video you posted!

Yeah I sure can't wait until hundreds of people already climb up to the top of the leaderboards having finished levels under a minute within an hour of the game's full release, all because of the spindash.

No really, this kills the depth and finesse of Classic speed running. The spin dash is way too damn overpowered and it's way too easy to use.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn demo wasn't up on the US PSN store. So, I did what any other would do. I made a UK account and downloaded it from there.

Also, my new UK Address is 1 Palmtree Lane, Green Hill Zone, South Island. And my legal name there is Miles Prower. Dayumn, how could PSN accept that?

Edited by Cola

20 minutes of messing around in the demo and testing stuff, few glitches uncovered.

You think you know know it, from the original, but you'd BE WRONG. This Motobug is here to FUCK YOU UP. It's got like rocket boosters or some shit and it be charging at you at the speed of light and ramming right into your potbelly classic hero! He ain't messing with you, he is some serious shit. Some dictator of fun out to stop your shenanigans. Motobug has got it's eyes on you, IT'S EYES ON YOU! You can't hide, it'll charge right after you! It traps you, in an arena surrounded by spikes. Oh man, you're so fucked now! Motobug is coming to get ya! He's comming to get ya! WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked it! At first the physics were like "o_O" but I got used to them for the most part. I tried going on one of those hills and just tapping down, and I was pretty pleased to see that I rolled downhill and picked up some speed, so that was neat. Although at one point I think I hit an edge really weirdly, and then when I jumped, Sonic like... ROCKETED into the air. LOL. I couldn't replicate it, but it was weird. xD It was in the underground part where the swingy things are.

But yeah, I just wish the Spindash wouldn't make you go 300mph if charged fully. It felt /way/ too fast to me. xD But asides from that, it was pretty neat! Overall, I enjoyed it. There are a few things I'd like to see worked out, but I could see this turning out to be something I really enjoy (in the full game)

(... with Sonic's weightier jumps, it'll be really tense in City Escape trying to escape the truck... xD)

Yeah I sure can't wait until hundreds of people already climb up to the top of the leaderboards having finished levels under a minute within an hour of the game's full release, all because of the spindash.

No really, this kills the depth and finesse of Classic speed running. The spin dash is way too damn overpowered and it's way too easy to use.

Apparently you have to be connected to XBL to play the demo- in reality you don't.

Apparently the demo has a time limit of 20 days- in reality that doesn't seem to be the case.

> Disconnect from XBL (to be safe)

> Adjust system date

> Watch counter on the title screen change. You can set it to 0 days or over 20 days (at over 20 days the counter disappears).

<3 SEGA :P

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 5

All of the speed runs I've seen have featured someone abusing the spindash, and exploiting some glitches in certain levels. I see nothing wrong with that technique.

In the video above, this guy clearly had to time most of his spindash jumps precisely, and obviously played a shit load of times to find the quickest method.

I've played this demo all of five times, and I've already managed to replicate his technique.

There's nothing wrong with using spindash to help speedruns. The problem is that this game makes it ridiculously overpowered, it gets beyond top speed in barely a second of charge, and it's hot keyed. It's not hard. It's broken. Jumping while spindashing off of a hill sends you to hell and back. It's the most obvious strategy to use here.

Even if later level design go against the principle, it still is overpowered as shit, and I'm not even exaggerating here. There is barely any skill or thought put into it.

Edited by Carbo

***DISCLAIMER***

I liked the experience much better than Sonic 4, so please don't take the following as complaints derived from a negative emotional response on my part, because it's not. I really did enjoy the demo, however, for the sake of statistics, I am going to lay the flaws out honestly.

#1) We already know that the spindash is way too overpowered. The video posted a few posts prior is a prime example. Also, it's strange how a spindash THAT powerful can somehow mysteriously slow down between loops, and then when it starts going up hill, it somehow magically speeds up. You guys know exactly which segment I'm referring to.

#2) When I was in the cave area, I popped the crabmeat a good one and proceeded to use one of the springs to reach the top of the slope of the half-pipe formation. I did this a few times because the first time felt rather odd to me. It didn't feel natural at all. It felt as if once Sonic reached a point of no return on that slope, he was destined to keep going and pop over the side regardless of what happens, unless of course you really try hard to resist, then you might manage to break the scripted feel of the slope.

#3) Start the level, spindash forward until you pop off the slope and knock the ring box out of the tree. Continue past the two crabmeats and buzzbomber, past the S pipe, past the huge canyon jump, go over and around that short upside down sequence... now once you hit that spring that propels you forward to go up the ramp to your right with the spikes at the top, do the following:

Hold right (the instinctual reaction to going up a slope)

I think what you'll find will be rather bizarre to say the least. This bit here really made me double take my actions. Sure enough, it has a 100% occurrence rate. You actually have to go out of your way to remember to NOT hold forward on the stick and just let Sonic coast just so that you aren't spat off the slope and forced to try again.

Anyway, to nail #1&2 to the wall, I believe I can finally put it into words. Good demo was good, but scripted physics feel scripted. Classic Sonic felt freeform as far as physics were concerned, but this physics engine does not feel free. It feels somewhat forced and linear. Rather than make the level and the physics separately and put them together and just sit back and let nature take its course, it feels like the developers went through the level and scripted the physics into different instances in the level which should just happen naturally, like slopes, ramps, etc.

Edited by crush40rocks

Apparently you have to be connected to XBL to play the demo- in reality you don't.

Apparently the demo has a time limit of 20 days- in reality that doesn't seem to be the case.

> Disconnect from XBL (to be safe)

> Adjust system date

> Watch counter on the title screen change. You can set it to 0 days or over 20 days (at over 20 days the counter disappears).

<3 SEGA :P

LOL, he needs to lay of the Chilli Dogs :D

If you have a Gold account, go to Demos and it should be there. If you have a Silver account, you have to wait for a week.

Edited by Death the Kid

How about, if you play the demo 20 times...Modern Sonic will be unlockable?! LOL, just kidding...but that would be awesome. :lol:

Anyway, to nail #1&2 to the wall, I believe I can finally put it into words. Good demo was good, but scripted physics feel scripted. Classic Sonic felt freeform as far as physics were concerned, but this physics engine does not feel free. It feels somewhat forced and linear. Rather than make the level and the physics separately and put them together and just sit back and let nature take its course, it feels like the developers went through the level and scripted the physics into different instances in the level which should just happen naturally, like slopes, ramps, etc.

Rolling isn't even my biggest problem. I really don't like the Jump in this game...

I'm not going to bother playing catch up, did i miss anything important between pages 10 and 25?