Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

I was talking about bugs within the game engine itself, not exclusively within Green Hill Zone.

The game engine is the first thing what developers do. I am pretty sure they are already finished with that.

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

Oh no... If the demo is to be bundled with a game... I think I might know which one its going to be! Theres only one game from Sega thats due out soon which has a similar rating! Would you buy this game for the demo?

Edited by Hogfather

Damn it... I don't have a PS3, nor an Xbox 360... D:

Damn it... I don't have a PS3, nor an Xbox 360... D:

The game engine is the first thing what developers do. I am pretty sure they are already finished with that.

Yes they are most likely already mostly finished with it, but there may still be some bugs they need to iron out. Just look at the E3 Sonic Unleashed demo: in the gameplay shown of Windmill Ilse, I remember a few spots that had some framerate issues that were fixed in the final version. Also, there were few other changes such Sonic not dropping his rings in the final, different voice clips, and different music.

Oh no... If the demo is to be bundled with a game... I think I might know which one its going to be! Theres only one game from Sega thats due out soon which has a similar rating! Would you buy this game for the demo?

...Sadly, I would. I'd probably never play the actual game though and essentially be spending $60 on a demo, but I wouldn't be able to resist. This game just looks too good and I wanna play it ASAP. @_@

Also, that would be a pretty ingenious move by Sega. First of all, they'd be increasing sales for a game that isn't likely to get very good sales. Secondly, if they do update the engine (and thus, the demo), they can upload that version to the severs around release time and place a "This demo is a work in progress" waring at the start of the disc-based demo (like they did with the SA2 demo that came with PSO).

Edited by Gamerguy21

Yes they are most likely already mostly finished with it, but there may still be some bugs they need to iron out. Just look at the E3 Sonic Unleashed demo: in the gameplay shown of Windmill Ilse, I remember a few spots that had some framerate issues that were fixed in the final version. Also, there were few other changes such Sonic not dropping his rings in the final, different voice clips, and different music.

...Sadly, I would. I'd probably never play the actual game though and essentially be spending $60 on a demo, but I wouldn't be able to resist. This game just looks too good and I wanna play it ASAP. @_@

Also, that would be a pretty ingenious move by Sega. First of all, they'd be increasing sales for a game that isn't likely to get very good sales. Secondly, if they do update the engine (and thus, the demo), they can upload that version to the severs around release time and place a "This demo is a work in progress" waring at the start of the disc-based demo (like they did with the SA2 demo that came with PSO).

We already have full gameplay of the first act of GHZ. :P That will be the demo I gues.

We already have full gameplay of the first act of GHZ. :P That will be the demo I gues.

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will represent the final version of Green Hill Zone.

is a good example of things being changed in development (especially since Generations still has roughly as much time left in development as Unleashed did at that point). I'm not saying that Generations is sure to change, but if it does (which does have a chance of happening), then Sega will most likely want to advertise the most finalized version of it.

I was talking to Bolt7 about this. So i'll just c/p my views on it from our IM chat:

Goku262002: Read my personal message says:

*http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/3ee9cf339ddee09eca2575ca000be1e3/d437ba7b175c7225ca257888005d719a?OpenDocument

A demo is coming

Lightning89 / Bolt7: says:

*oooooooooooooooo

*got a feeling

*we'll get this the week of his birthday

*hmmmmm

*that bothers me a bit

*why?

*well...the game itself is no where near final state. and it wont be until probably after the summer. so releasing a demo in its beta state may lead people to uncertain conclusions about gameplay

*mm, good point

*it's a bit too early

*yeah it would be nice to have a sample of generations early, but you KNOW how we nitpick

*over anything

*AND EVERYTHING

*if a fucking tree isn't shaded the right color SEGA is going to damned well hear about it!

*HEAR ME SEGA, THAT TREE ISN'T THE RIGHT COLOR! FIX IT NAO!! ARG!

*THE GROUND ISN'T GREEN HILL ENOUGH

*CLASSIC SONIC IS STILL TO CARTOONY. HE NEEDS TO BE MORE JAPANESE

*MODERN IS TOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

*THE MOTOBUGS ARE NOT THE RIGHT SIZE

*THAT WATERFALL WAS NOT IN THE ORIGINAL

*need i go on?

*there's a reason people are this critical though

*modern Sonic games sucked for a long time

*yeah but the nitpicking can get really too detailed. but their can be a bright side.

*i remember the sonic 4 leak. SEGA used that opportunity to not go C/D on peoples asses but get feedback. and while S4 didn't turn out to be the perfect 2D/3D sonic game, it did become something better then sonic rush minus boost

*NOW if SEGA released a official demo of generations in its beta state they can take all of our legitimate nitpicking and apply it to the final product

*SO i can see the 2 sides to this

*plus assets from the demo thats going to be ripped from

*BEAUTIFUL VIEWTIFUL ASSETS!!

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will represent the final version of Green Hill Zone.

is a good example of things being changed in development (especially since Generations still has roughly as much time left in development as Unleashed did at that point). I'm not saying that Generations is sure to change, but if it does (which does have a chance of happening), then Sega will most likely want to advertise the most finalized version of it.

But they have a Version and I didn't see any bugs. I am 95% sure that is the final version of GHZ otherwise they wouldn't share it to the puplic/magazines. ;)

But they have a Version and I didn't see any bugs. I am 95% sure that is the final version of GHZ otherwise they wouldn't share it to the puplic/magazines. ;)

Just because you didn't see any bugs doesn't mean they weren't there*. Not to mention you weren't even the one playing.

Also, just because they shared it with the public doesn't automatically confirm that the engine is 100% polished, either. Yet again, I point to the Sonic Unleashed demo I posted earlier. You want another example of a game shown to the public and then changed later? Fine:

Companies show incomplete versions of their games to the public all the time. How else would they advertise them pre-release?

*Actually, there is one minor bug that I (and many others) noticed in the Modern Green Hill: Sonic clips through a tree near the beginning of the footage. Not a huge problem, but still something that might be fixed during development.

Edited by Gamerguy21

*Actually, there is one minor bug that I (and many others) noticed in the Modern Green Hill: Sonic clips through a tree near the beginning of the footage. Not a huge problem, but still something that might be fixed during development.

That's not a bug. It's probably intentional in fact. You don't go making every little thing like that solid. It's time consuming, uses up resources and can make things annoying. You're not going to go near the tree every time you play anyway.

Now back on subject... I doubt this means anything to be honest. Did any of these demos get physical or early releases that anyone knows about?

That's not a bug. It's probably intentional in fact. You don't go making every little thing like that solid. It's time consuming, uses up resources and can make things annoying. You're not going to go near the tree every time you play anyway.

Eh, I highly doubt they intended for Sonic go through right through a tree unless they plan to suddenly give him ghosts powers or something.

While I don't expect them to make it solid, what's stopping them from simply moving the tree? Just place it a bit higher in a spot that that Sonic can't reach.

Edited by Gamerguy21

Eh, I highly doubt they intended for Sonic go through right through a tree unless they plan to suddenly give him ghosts powers or something.

While I don't expect them to make it solid, what's stopping them from simply moving the tree? Just place it a bit higher in a spot that that Sonic can't reach.

Uh, no, you missed the point. The tree is intentionally not solid because it would be a waste for it to be solid just like the rest of the scenery you're not expected to go anywhere near. The best option would be to move/remove it, yes, but it's not a bug or an issue that matters or warrants us discussing in the first place. :P

Edited by Blue Blood

Yes I would as it's a poor version of Batman: Arkham Asylum and was gonna get it anyway, but I think it may come with a special edition version of Sonic the Hedgehog 91' or maybe a fixed (yea right) Sonic 06.

I'd definitely get the Cap game for this. Probably would have just stuck to a demo, but w/e. Also demos are not always indicative of the final product. SA2 trial anyone?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking about it, if the demo does get bundled with Cap, I probably would buy it... oh my... but rest assured, the moment I got it home, got platinum on it (Since it would be shockingly easy) it gets traded in almost instantly!

Edit: Provided the demo is not going to be at SOS 2011 that is.

Edited by Hogfather

A demo would not bug me. It'll help Sega figure out what they need to tweak and give us a taste of what the final product will be like. It's a win win situation here. I say lets get this demo! Don't want another Sonic 06 on our hands do we?

A demo would not bug me. It'll help Sega figure out what they need to tweak and give us a taste of what the final product will be like. It's a win win situation here. I say lets get this demo! Don't want another Sonic 06 on our hands do we?

Sonic 2006 had a demo. And had many issues since half the team went and did SatSR instead and Yuji Naka just decided to leave mid-development when he was leading it. Not to mention it obviously not being finished in time but being forced on release.

Getting a demo won't change such risks. :P

Edited by Tobbii

• 1 month later...

so its confirmed then...

Nice to see a continuation of tradition. ^_^

3031044693_e572d5f208.jpg

GAH! No positive +rep votes left. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there any chance of getting City Escape over Green Hill Zone when the demo comes around?

Like .00001% chance?

Chances are zero unless Sega can somehow prove themselves more awesome than giving a mack truck sawblades and rockets in the first place.