Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

For me it runs exactly the same as the 360 version.

We get it. You don't like the demo. Shut up and do something else now.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 6

While you cool guys Time Attack, I'm going to collect as many rings as I can.

I see you're measily 157 Rings of chump change...and raise you to 226 RINGS!

2306111649.jpg

Are you hedgehog enough to get as many Rings? Or even more? :V

• Thumbs Up 2

If you want evidence that the ramps are scripted, go to the platform in-between the swing platforms in the middle of the cave section, then jump around the edge of either side and you should boost high into the air.

Also, why doesn't the screen scroll when you look up or crouch for a while? :( Oh, and no pushing animation? :(

Downloaded the demo on my PS3, really enjoyed it.

If people are saying it plays like shit or whatever then they need either their eyes testing or their PS3's taken to the vets in all honesty.

But don't take my word for it, "What did the Bash Street Kids think of the demo!?"

bsk-group-1.jpg

They liked it!

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, why doesn't the screen scroll when you look up or crouch for a while? :( Oh, and no pushing animation? :(

well it did say at the beginning of the demo that it doesn't represent the final product so maybe they'll add those in the final built.

Downloaded the demo on my PS3, really enjoyed it.

If people are saying it plays like shit or whatever then they need either their eyes testing or their PS3's taken to the vets in all honesty.

Yes it looks really well. I know its a bit short but I'm sure with everything thrown together in the final product the Classic Sonic game will last a quite a while. It's a good start, and although I kinda have issues with the green glow on Sonic's skin (maybe Green Hill is contaminated with radiation), I think we're into something special.

Not wanting to write off the Sonic 4 physics just yet, so hoping it is retained for Episode 2, or at least if its changed to something more like Classic Sonic Generations, the changes are implemented on Episode 1 too, but that's another story.

Bring on more demo's, please?

Just played the demo and I found it pretty unimpressive.

The jump is crap (I know classic Sonic is fat but c'mon), and the spindash is far too overpowered as we all already knew.

Edit: Did anyone else lose track of Sonic during the demo after using the spindash?

Edited by Balding Spider

Okay, I personally haven't played the demo and probably will never get the chance to since I don't own a 360 or a PS3. However, I will say this. I've been seeing quite a few complaints about stuff like "jump is too heavy", "spindash is OPed", "insert other nitpick here" etc. However, answer me this. Are you really taking an unbiased view at this?

What I mean by that is, are you analysing these gameplay elements to match how they play in this game, or are you too busy comparing it to the classics, making sure that it has to be just like how they play. If the latter is the case, then I honestly think that you're thinking about it wrong. This game offers something familiar and new at the same time. In it's right, it deserves to be treated as its own game, rather than as a constant comparison to older titles.

For example, let's take this supposedly heavy jump. Is it actually heavy to the point where it feels unnatural to use in Sonic Generations? To the point where getting past aspects of the level design is somewhat hindered by the jump? Or is it just that it's heavier than it was in the Classic titles?

I think, what I'm trying to say is that is it really ESSENTIAL for Classic Sonic to play exactly like he did in the Genesis games? I think that as long as the correct concepts are there (which they are) and the gameplay is fun and refreshing (which I can't judge) then this game deserves to be a success.

However, I won't argue about the spindash. That does need a nerf.

Can I just address something to those going on about how the Spindash is epically over powered?

You are in the Green Hill Zone, it is mainly a flat, just like the origial. But from what we've seen of city escape, theres no way you could spam the spin dash, theres so many moving platforms you could never make the jumps relying on the spin dash alone.

Even in the green hill, theres moments that you have to reduce speed or else you'll never keep on those high paths. Am I the only one who thinks that this is going to be crucial for time/ranks in later stages especially.

Not to mention that the green hill zone is the first zone in the game, look at the enemies in it.

Badniks.jpg

They're arguably the weakest set of enemies found in any zone of any game in the entire Sonic franchise. They have no front facing armour and provided the buzzbombers are not firing, every enemy in that zone can be taken out by a side attack.

So of course a spin dash will destroy them.

You telling me you're going to be able to do that if enemies like Crawl, flasher, shellcracker, Orbinaut or slicer are in the game?

• Thumbs Up 2

This is frusterating, it says I have to have a gold membership to play the demo...

does anyone else have this problem?

Can I just address something to those going on about how the Spindash is epically over powered?

You are in the Green Hill Zone, it is mainly a flat, just like the origial. But from what we've seen of city escape, theres no way you could spam the spin dash, theres so many moving platforms you could never make the jumps relying on the spin dash alone.

Even in the green hill, theres moments that you have to reduce speed or else you'll never keep on those high paths. Am I the only one who thinks that this is going to be crucial for time/ranks in later stages especially.

It's not that it's easy to spam, it's that it launches you so fast, even with only a split seconds charge.

Finished the demo...3 times. And I'll be honest, I liked it. Also I really like the Classic Green Hill remix, more than the original. I found a few bugs, but I'm sure it will get ironed out in the final release.

The demo is finally up on PSN where I live. I am downloading it at this very second and I will be sure to post my impressions once I finish playing it.

Loving the demo so far. But it's true, Classic Sonic's Spindash does feel a bit overpowered. After I did the Spindash and jumped on top of a platform, Sonic just kept walking and fell right off. I wasn't even touching the controller either. But after 5 mins you learn your way around that. It's not much of a bother to me. I'm enjoying the game so far and will still buy the game when it comes out. :3

Oh, P.S. Please stop blaming SEGA for XBOX Live's Gold services. :( They try really hard to please you!

The demo is finally up on PSN where I live. I am downloading it at this very second and I will be sure to post my impressions once I finish playing it.

Same. It took forever to see it. I was trolled lol.

I thought it was great. Some genuinely good alternative routes, level design that's not plagued with pits, and good physics. Not a 1:1 with the Genesis games, but none of the liberties taken are off putting.

Generations disappoints in a certain other area, but at least the gameplay itself seems to be quite fun. That is ultimately the more important thing.

YES I finally got to play it. Now I'm waiting on the full game, Tho it was fun, I even got thru it the first time with NO DAMAGE! If the whole game plays this well, both classic AND M.sonic than I'l finally be happy and without shame. Sega well done. While the jumping was a little odd, it only took me one playthur to get used to it. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Anywho, enjoy life.

I've played this demo all of five times, and I've already managed to replicate his technique.

There's nothing wrong with using spindash to help speedruns. The problem is that this game makes it ridiculously overpowered, it gets beyond top speed in barely a second of charge, and it's hot keyed. It's not hard. It's broken. Jumping while spindashing off of a hill sends you to hell and back. It's the most obvious strategy to use here.

Even if later level design go against the principle, it still is overpowered as shit, and I'm not even exaggerating here. There is barely any skill or thought put into it.

That's my point, you had to watch him to replicate what he did.

It's not like you spindashed throughout the entire stage hoping that you'd get lucky and beat his time. There is still experimenting that must be done to find the quickest method. But I agree, the spindash is ridiculously overpowered.

Okay, I personally haven't played the demo and probably will never get the chance to since I don't own a 360 or a PS3. However, I will say this. I've been seeing quite a few complaints about stuff like "jump is too heavy", "spindash is OPed", "insert other nitpick here" etc. However, answer me this. Are you really taking an unbiased view at this?

What I mean by that is, are you analysing these gameplay elements to match how they play in this game, or are you too busy comparing it to the classics, making sure that it has to be just like how they play. If the latter is the case, then I honestly think that you're thinking about it wrong. This game offers something familiar and new at the same time. In it's right, it deserves to be treated as its own game, rather than as a constant comparison to older titles.

For example, let's take this supposedly heavy jump. Is it actually heavy to the point where it feels unnatural to use in Sonic Generations? To the point where getting past aspects of the level design is somewhat hindered by the jump? Or is it just that it's heavier than it was in the Classic titles?

I think, what I'm trying to say is that is it really ESSENTIAL for Classic Sonic to play exactly like he did in the Genesis games? I think that as long as the correct concepts are there (which they are) and the gameplay is fun and refreshing (which I can't judge) then this game deserves to be a success.

However, I won't argue about the spindash. That does need a nerf.

I think the new spindash is to replicate the boost of Modern Sonic, it is on the Hedgehog Engine after all, so it was probably hard for them to even work these classic-eque physics into the gameplay.

I actually don't mind the new spindash, it is a little overpowered, but I see why. But Sonic Team doesn't understand that Sonic fans have been the biggest nitpickers in the gaming industry for the past 10yrs. So any minor fundamental change they try and make, or any experimenting they try and under go, won't be welcomed. I've become used to the insanely powerful spindash, but that's because it's nothing compared to Modern Sonic's ridiculous boost.

Sonic's jump takes some getting used to, nothing game breaking though.

No matter if they made a GREAT game, people will over analyse it to find it's flaws, only because some people tell themselves "There's no way that a Sonic game can be "great" anymore. There are some changes I think they should make, just to make the platforming a little more accessible, but this is much better than some of the crap we've been handed in the past.