Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

I just re-read the description for the demo (in the PSN Store):

"Play as both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in the ultimate Sonic celebration."

So Modern Sonic is somewhere tucked in to this demo? Hope so...please...

EDIT: Full description:

Sonic's universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power comes into force, creating 'time holes' which take Sonic and his friends back in time. Revisit some of the most iconic environments of the past 20 years, playing as Classic Sonic in re-imagined 2D side scrolling levels, and as Modern Sonic in all new, stunning 3D levels. Will they find out who is behind this diabolical deed?

While the Spin-Dash is indeed crazy powered...I doubt you will be able to go crazy with it on levels like...City Escape...

I could see a new act being unlocked every five days.

Okay, I've been playing the demo a lot today, and I have to say, it's awesome. Though the physics aren't as great as the classics, there aren't any glaring issues with maintaining momentum, nor is Sonic a spider-hog. The amount of different paths in the level very much impressed me, as did the fact that, just like in the classics, you had to utilize Sonic's momentum to reach some of the better paths. I also like how bouncing off of enemies was used to cross certain gaps. Also, the visuals can best be described as absolutely beautiful, and I loved the GHZ theme remix. A common criticism is that Sonic feels a bit heavy, and I will admit that he does feel a tad heavy and that it's a problem that I hope will be fixed, but it's nothing game breaking.

On the whole, I think the classic experience has been replicated exceptionally well, and the level design was fantastic. Now, SEGA...let us play as Modern Sonic a bit, k?

Alright, just finished playing the demo and it's fun. Only played it 2 times; first time going through like normally, second time messing around trying to get a feel for the controls.

-For one, while the physics aren't bad, there are a few weird things about it, but not in a "it's not like the classics physics" kinda weird, but in the "that's not what I'd expect to happen" kinda weird. For instance, if the D-pad is neutral when you land, you'll stop dead, no momentum from jumping retained. Because of this, holding down when you land on the ground doesn't make you roll. Sonic is also kinda stiff and doesn't feel very smooth. I feel like I have to force him to do what I want most of the time, especially when trying to land on things.

-After slowing down a bit when rolling you'll automatically uncurl. This doesn't really help promote utilizing momentum since the game itself feels like it doesn't want you to roll. Not to mention it has too much friction and rolling down a hill is all but useless.

-The game has too much automation, and for no apparent reason either. Running off ramps, going through S-curves, hitting springs all have some degree of automation or take control away from you. For example, going off of ramps seems to launch you in a specific direction rather than letting physics take over. S-curves are automated, and springs kinda lock your controls and make you go straight up for a second.

An old version? I somehow doubt this.

The file was compiled on 11th May according to Endri @ Retro

So yeah, it is an old build compared to the E3/Sonic Boom one

I could see a new act being unlocked every five days.

It's possible I suppose, and it would explain why it's so easy to bypass time limit on the demo (disconnect from internet, change system time). But they would also have to update the demo so we could download the music for City Escape. And four stages is a lot, isn't it? Absolutely awesome, don't get me wrong, but 10 stages and GHZ act 2 seems more likely.

I figured out a way to brake the scripted parts in the S tubes if you INSTA spin dash inside of them at the tip of the tube you can run through it normally.

The file was compiled on 11th May according to Endri @ Retro

So yeah, it is an old build compared to the E3/Sonic Boom one

It's possible I suppose, and it would explain why it's so easy to bypass time limit on the demo (disconnect from internet, change system time). But they would also have to update the demo so we could download the music for City Escape. And four stages is a lot, isn't it? Absolutely awesome, don't get me wrong, but 10 stages and GHZ act 2 seems more likely.

I really, really like this. It nails the classic gameplay way better than Sonic 4- and I LIKE Sonic 4. The visuals are great, I'm very impressed with the number of routes, and it's fantastic to be able to spindash again in a console Sonic. And the sense of speed-oh boy. I was worried that it was going too fast, that cheap hits would be inevitable, but the enemy placement is smart enough that they're almost never directly in your way. The only thing I'm disappointing with is that there's no Modern Sonic yet.

Well alright, there is one little thing that's bugging me. Is it just me, or are the speedshoes useless? The music speeds up, but I'm not noticing a difference in Sonic's speed.

Just played my way through the demo twice. Clap, clap, clap, Sega! There's still a few kinks in the physics, but they were good enough to make me wonder how I was so forgiving of Sonic 4's in the first place. It actually takes effort to get up concave hills, the gravity feels natural and bouncing off enemies to get where you need to feels a lot more satisfying than using the homing attack to do it. I was skeptical that it would be possible to make paths with flying enemies without the homing attack feasible, but now I can't really defend its done well enough that I can't defend its presence in 2D gameplay anymore.

That being said, there are still those kinks. They're not what I'd call unrealistic, but when Sonic's on the ground it kind of feels like he's on a thick shag carpet covered in syrup; the friction is a bit off kilter, which is all the more strange when you see how ridiculously fast his spin dash is. His aerial movement is fine, but that only makes it feel strange in contrast.

But to come back to the good side of things, there's still great awesome outstanding AMAZING level design. It's not only solid, it's 1991 quality. The most important part of having multiple paths is that the player FEELS that there's multiple paths. There's a difference between making the level feel vertically open and throwing in a shortcut here and there. This definitely feels of the former and its well reflected in the art design; i.e. you can tell you're in the lower path if your inside a cave and in the upper if you're above it. Also, I checked, Sonic DOES tap his foot and look at the screen while he's waiting. Somebody get everyone in Sonic Team a beer, cause they're back baby!

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

I finally got to play the demo this morning. Here are my brief thoughts.

It's great for an early build. I can't wait to see how the final build will be. Sonic's jump does feel rather heavy in this demo, so hopefully the developers will adjust Sonic's jump height and gravity just slightly. Rolling is useless, but that can simply be resolved by adjusting the friction. Other than that, it was great. I can't wait for the final build.

... Well, I can as long as the developers fine-tune the jumping and the rolling, but you know what I mean.

I barely used the spin dash, so I had no problems with it. My main problems were losing Sonic among everything else (just once or twice) and having to hop up and down an awful lot of times to get to platforms that were clearly supposed to be in reach. Run,run,jump. Hm. Jump. JUMP! JUUUUUUUMMMMPP! Running starts didn't seem to help, and weren't possible in some of the areas (e.g. jumping from a platform to next the piece of ground). Hope that gets tweaked slightly, as it seems to bee just a few millimeters short of many of the heights you need to jump. (PS3 version, BTW.)

Sure looks pretty, though.

Do you know that you can crouch with the B (360) or Circle (PS3) button?

Edited by KrazyBean14

I noticed yesterday that when you're doing the balancing animation on a ledge, if you gently tap the the opposite direction, you can get Sonic to face you or the other direction with the animation. Classic Sonic looks so funny facing me with the tippy toes and arms flailing balancing animation :lol:

Better with Kinect.

dsa.jpg

Obviously won't be Kinect compatible. Made a weird error, i guess.

Edited by MobileChikane

I brought this up in another thread, but the download file for the Generations demo on PSN says "Demo #1". Could that mean there will be a Demo #2?

Well I don't know if this has been mentioned before this but to those who don't want for this demo to expire I have good news.

By changing the time and date on your console to the 23rd of June it will reset the days to 19(I'm using an Xbox360 but I guess it will work for PS3 too).

Also I changed the date July 11 and nothing seems to unlock through time so I guess for the people that were hoping something will happen...well it won't.

There's always still a small chance that Sega will update the demo to unlock the Modern version.