Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

Also I changed the date July 11 and nothing seems to unlock through time so I guess for the people that were hoping something will happen...well it won't.

Finally got one of those trick things to happen in the Sonic Generations demo. I bounced off one badnik and then on to another and then suddenly Sonic shot up high into the air and did what looked like a fist pump animation.

Got to play it, and it was a lot of fun. Honestly, I didn't get any of the problems that people were having with it. It felt exactly like the Genesis games to me.

That said....I keep hearing that Modern Sonic is unlockable in this demo somehow. Is this true? o_O

After playing this demo about 10 or 15 times since I downloaded it, I think it's safe to that I love this game. The heaviness of Sonic did annoy me a bit at first, but I quickly got used to it and not it's not really an issue to me anymore (although it would be nicer if his weight was a bit closer to the Genesis games). I do wish there were a bit less scripted areas as well, but it's nothing game-breaking. Pretty much everything else about the game (graphics, music, overall gameplay) is great, though. Hell, even after all those playthroughs, I still have the urge to go back and mess around with it some more. I hope I get the chance to test out he other half of the game soon.

Also, I don't really understand what people were saying about the 360 version being better than the PS3 version. I tried out both and they seem nearly identical to me. The only difference I noticed is that the 360 version appears to be a bit brighter, but that might just be my setup, since everything always appears to be brighter on my 360...

I brought this up in another thread, but the download file for the Generations demo on PSN says "Demo #1". Could that mean there will be a Demo #2?

I noticed that as well. I also noticed how the icon for the demo in the PS Store made note to only include Classic Sonic (instead of showing both Sonics like a general demo for the game (ex. the Unleashed demo) would). Maybe we might end up getting a crack at Modern Sonic after all. Hopefully...

Finally got one of those trick things to happen in the Sonic Generations demo. I bounced off one badnik and then on to another and then suddenly Sonic shot up high into the air and did what looked like a fist pump animation.

I got one of those things as well. Unfortunately, I was just messing around aimlessly at the time, and wasn't really paying attention to Sonic until I noticed him out of ball form towards the end of his animation (I think he did a little flip, but I could be wrong). I tried to do it again with the Choppers on the first bridge, but I could pull it off for a second time.

That said....I keep hearing that Modern Sonic is unlockable in this demo somehow. Is this true? o_O

Not that I (or anyone else for that matter) know of. Out of curiosity, where are you hearing this?

EDIT: Ah right, completely forgot about another problem I had with the demo; way too much friction with the rolling. Makes rolling completely useless when you're trying to pick up speed and kind of defeats its purpose.

Edited by Gamerguy21

I can't say I'm impressed. The controls were very close for something out of Sega, which is kind of a funny that I need to make that qualifier.

And the camera is disorienting. It keeps zooming in and out and panning about, and the levels seem designed assuming that you can see a lot, but then its hard to see what you're doing.

Loved it.

I feel there is an attitude among many of you that you feel obligated to immediately try to find "faults" within any new Sonic game. I mean if there were errors that's one thing, but there aren't.

Edited by Blue Comeback

You can unlock modern Sonic if you hack. You can also remove the time lock, and the demo essentially becomes like the Sonic Boom version, allowing you to pick which Sonic you play as.

At least, that's what I gathered from this demo hack:

Though the hack does more than that. Posted this in another topic, but it's slightly relevant.

Been messing about with the controls, got a few complaints: Seems very unwilling to let me roll sometimes, particularly off springs or speed from environmental circumstances. Trying to jump right after releasing a spin dash is tricky, you tend to just do a normal jump for some reason. The B button only seems to function when you aren't moving.

You can unlock modern Sonic if you hack. You can also remove the time lock, and the demo essentially becomes like the Sonic Boom version, allowing you to pick which Sonic you play as.

At least, that's what I gathered from this demo hack:

*video*

Though the hack does more than that. Posted this in another topic, but it's slightly relevant.

I think its telling how little that changes the game.

Well, Classic may have tweaked physics, but both modes are built off of the Unleashed engine. It does make sense.

This may have already been said but 2 things I noticed about the classic demo...

1. If you try to jump and roll into a ball you can't...Like jump then spin on the ground...

2. when you look up or down with sonic the screen doesnt scroll the way your looking like in the classics.

These are not even complaints from me, just notes.

The first one SLIGHTLY bothers me but its TOTALLY tolerable, the second one...same thing.

Id still prefer they changed these things to be like the classics but its not a make or break to me at all.

Edited by TheDanimator

I don't know. Everything felt way way too laggy... but I only got to play on my friend's TV, and I think his PS3 wasn't set to widescreen settings... that usually creates some weird delay in the controls for sidescrolling platformers. ( anyone else have this problem? ) Like... there's a whole half second delay in Sonic's jumping and spindashing and stopping... I think I need to play on someone elses TV, or maybe the Demo is just a really bad one.

I just finished playing the demo as Classic Sonic.

I'm not too impressed, but the saving grace from full disappointment would be that this is the first level, so there's nothing to be upset about. It was really bland playing it for the first time, while the environment was spectacular, I wasn't that excited while I was playing it.

I've heard some people say that Classic Sonic feels heavy. I'm not feeling or seeing it. He seems rather light instead, if not close to the Genesis physics that we've known from the classics. No fear of uncurling when you go off a ramp, so that's good. I'm probably late in making these points, but eh well.

On the bright side, it is a rather decent demo. We've been getting a decent string of games, so all that's left to do is to wait for the full game.

I just finished playing the demo as Classic Sonic.

I'm not too impressed, but the saving grace from full disappointment would be that this is the first level, so there's nothing to be upset about. It was really bland playing it for the first time, while the environment was spectacular, I wasn't that excited while I was playing it.

I've heard some people say that Classic Sonic feels heavy. I'm not feeling or seeing it. He seems rather light instead, if not close to the Genesis physics that we've known from the classics. No fear of uncurling when you go off a ramp, so that's good. I'm probably late in making these points, but eh well.

On the bright side, it is a rather decent demo. We've been getting a decent string of games, so all that's left to do is to wait for the full game.

What were you unhappy about? The level itself, or the game mechanics?

/stillhasn'tbeenabletoaccessaPS3

What were you unhappy about? The level itself, or the game mechanics?

Neither.

It wasn't that I was unhappy about it, I just wasn't impressed as I thought I would be. There wasn't much of a wow factor in it when I first played it. It was just a really bland playthrough. I may need to explore the level more, but that's it.

Modern Sonic might give me that fix, but Classic Sonic may have to wait until the game comes out before I get impressed by it. Fan service and nostalgia weren't in this one's favor at the current moment.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Honestly, there has been so much footage of the level itself that I pretty much knew it like the back of my hand. I think that's partly to blame for its supposed blandness: we've seen it before, many times. Of course, I still had fun with it, it was the first time I was able to get my hands on it after all. But, I wasn't wowed. Nothing to do with the game itself, but seeing the same level so many times lessens the impact.

I just noticed-why no Hedgehog Engine boot-up like in Unleashed?

No reason. The game uses it.

No reason. The game uses it.

Maybe it's because Unleashed was the first game, so they promoted it a little bit. And Colors came close graphics wise in a way,so it'd be reduntant to specifically promote it. Or they just forgot,could easily happen.

Still it was charming little detail.

Maybe it's because Unleashed was the first game, so they promoted it a little bit. And Colors came close graphics wise in a way,so it'd be reduntant to specifically promote it. Or they just forgot,could easily happen.

Still it was charming little detail.

What does Colours have to do with anything?

I wonder when an actual demo for Modern Sonic will come out. I hope they tone down the boost a bit. They should find a balance between its usability in Colours and its usability in Unleashed. I definitely liked how the boost was used sparingly in Colours, which allowed more room for actual level exploration.

I mean, honestly do we REALLY need to gain boost from every little thing we do? Collect rings. We gain boost. Kill enemies. We gain boost. Do "tricks". We gain boost. It only runs out if you're REALLY terrible. Soon they'll probably give boost for boosting @.@

I think it shouldn't be gained by collecting rings. I think certain enemies should offer boost and tricks should definitely give boost, but not collecting rings, especially as boosting attracts rings to you anyway.

I think we should gain boost only when collect rings.

If we lose rings we lose boost too.

Hello everyone! I just came back from Summer of Sonic! I'm not going to go tell you everything what happened like when some guy proposed to his girlfriend on stage with a Chaos Emerald ring and other epic stuff like that...but this is the Sonic Generations forum so I'll just talk about the gameplay. This was the latest build I played...it had Modern Sonic in it, I played it about 15 times and it was epic! But there was no City Escape demo...

Classic

Pros:

- It controls very, very well! Almost as smooth as silk.

- It's just plain fun!

- The powerful spindash works for Classic Sonic! These stages are huge, if you didn't have a powerful spindash you cannot make those big jumps.

- I don't know about you but the physics are wonderful!

- It looks beautiful! Smooth and Crisp!

Cons:

- The automated sections are still in, and they ain't gonna go away any time soon.

- The spindash can be spammed.

Modern

Pros:

- It controls extremely well!

- No lag whatsoever! Silky smooth 30fps.

- Sonic's moveset is balanced. Now Sonic's homing attack range has been cut down severely compared to Unleashed, the range is on par to Sonic Adventure 2. His airboost is also balanced and it's very controllable, if you hold the boost button he'll fly far and if you tap it he'll make a small dash...it's not like Unleashed where as soon as you press the boost button you'll fly all over the place.

- The spinball drift is the most intuitive move I've ever seen for Sonic! Unlike Unleashed, this drift feels right...even when boosting you can actually control it with precision! This is a move I'll abuse :P

- You change rails the same way you do in Sonic Colours (this can be a bad thing depending on your opinion). It feels much more comfortable compared to using the bumpers on your controller.

- Lots and LOTS of alternate paths to choose from!

- And of course it looks AMAZING!

Cons:

- There we're some glitches...at one time, Green Hill Zone turned into Pink Hill Zone! But I think it was the Xbox's fault since it was on for a long time.

- The rails have got no physics to it whatsoever! When Sonic is on it he just sticks to it like glue!

Well...that's all I got, but this is my opinion and you're allowed to make yours :)

EDIT: OH! When you boost, you lose it faster than you can gain it. Also, when you do stunts, you gain extra boost...this extra boost cannot be replenished by rings but can be replenished by more stunts. Rings only replenish boost up to 100%, anything higher and rings don't do a thing.

Edited by KrazyBean14

Hello everyone! I just came back from Summer of Sonic! I'm not going to go tell you everything what happened like when some guy proposed to his girlfriend on stage with a Chaos Emerald ring and other epic stuff like that...but this is the Sonic Generations forum so I'll just talk about the gameplay. This was the latest build I played...it had Modern Sonic in it, I played it about 15 times and it was epic! But there was no City Escape demo...

Classic

Pros:

- It controls very, very well! Almost as smooth as silk.

- It's just plain fun!

- The powerful spindash works for Classic Sonic! These stages are huge, if you didn't have a powerful spindash you cannot make those big jumps.

- I don't know about you but the physics are wonderful!

- It looks beautiful! Smooth and Crisp!

Cons:

- The automated sections are still in, and they ain't gonna go away any time soon.

- The spindash can be spammed.

Modern

Pros:

- It controls extremely well!

- No lag whatsoever! Silky smooth 30fps.

- Sonic's moveset is balanced. Now Sonic's homing attack range has been cut down severely compared to Unleashed, the range is on par to Sonic Adventure 2. His airboost is also balanced and it's very controllable, if you hold the boost button he'll fly far and if you tap it he'll make a small dash...it's not like Unleashed where as soon as you press the boost button you'll fly all over the place.

- The spinball drift is the most intuitive move I've ever seen for Sonic! Unlike Unleashed, this drift feels right...even when boosting you can actually control it with precision! This is a move I'll abuse :P

- You change rails the same way you do in Sonic Colours (this can be a bad thing depending on your opinion). It feels much more comfortable compared to using the bumpers on your controller.

- Lots and LOTS of alternate paths to choose from!

- And of course it looks AMAZING!

Cons:

- There we're some glitches...at one time, Green Hill Zone turned into Pink Hill Zone! But I think it was the Xbox's fault since it was on for a long time.

- The rails have got no physics to it whatsoever! When Sonic is on it he just sticks to it like glue!

Well...that's all I got, but this is my opinion and you're allowed to make yours :)

When moving Modern Sonic, does he feel tighter than in Unleashed and/or Colours?