Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PSN/XBL Demo

Marlbenos

HELL YES

Although it is a little disappointing Modern Sonic isn't playable, It really doesn't make me any less excited! I can't wait to play it, and test out the controls, go through all of the routes, and listen to the music clearly in Green Hill. This will be fun!

The Day-Limit doesn't bother me at all...you only wanna spent so much time with one Level, and it makes you anticipate the game more.

To be honest, isn't the Classic-only complaint kind of...weird? I mean, with the Unleahsed demo, we only got Daytime Sonic, which meant that people wouldn't be able to play as the Werehog until they bought the game. Isn't this pretty much exactly the same?

The time limit's a bitch though, I will give folks that. <_<

To be honest, isn't the Classic-only complaint kind of...weird?

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, isn't the Classic-only complaint kind of...weird? I mean, with the Unleahsed demo, we only got Daytime Sonic, which meant that people wouldn't be able to play as the Werehog until they bought the game. Isn't this pretty much exactly the same?
  • Thumbs Up 5

Maybe they're only releasing a demo of the classic gameplay on Sonic's birthday as a tribute of Classic Sonic in GHZ 20 years ago? I don't see what the big deal is. We're all going to play as modern Sonic eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they're only releasing a demo of the classic gameplay on Sonic's birthday as a tribute of Classic Sonic in GHZ 20 years ago? I don't see what the big deal is. We're all going to play as modern Sonic eventually.

I enjoyed the Werehog stages just as much, if not more than, the day stages. But this isn't about opinion on the two types, it's about how SEGA only showed off one gameplay style of two distinctly different ones in the Unleashed demo as well as the Generations demo. I can accept the 20th anniversary celebration letdown reason, as well as the reason of just plain being unsatisfied the first time it was done.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Modern gameplay isn't anything we can't really try for ourselves with the Unleashed demo... I realize there are differences, but the assumption is that the general public knows how Modern Sonic plays.

For Classic Sonic, they're doing this from the ground up, showing something that hasn't been shown before. This will be different from the original games and from Sonic 4, so it's not something they can experience through a demo of the Vintage Collection or Sonic 4. Modern Sonic however is nearly identical to that of Unleashed.

That's my reasoning for it, anyway. I agree that having both would have been optimal, but I can understand the logic behind their choice, for the sake of HDD space and whatnot.

Could you imagine if they only showcased the Modern version though? Wow, the fanbase would really have exploded!

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

As someone else said, Classic is the one that the fans are more likely to hate on if Sega don't get it 100% perfect, so I can see why they're giving that more attention.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty much flipping off Modern fans. Isn't this demo supposed to be a gift for all Sonic fans as a celebration of Sonic's twentieth anniversary? Classic and All around fans get to have good gitft on Sonic's anniversary. Modern fans get nothing.

The worst part is that it's so unecessary for them to only have Classic Sonic's act.

That's what I think too. Sega wants feedback for the Classic portion of the game. It would be easier for them to focus on feedback for one gameplay style instead of both of them. They have probably nailed the Modern gameplay, but not quite the Classic gameplay as far as authenticity goes. We don't want another Sonic 4 Episode 1 on our hands, do we?

The Modern gameplay isn't anything we can't really try for ourselves with the Unleashed demo... I realize there are differences, but the assumption is that the general public knows how Modern Sonic plays.

For Classic Sonic, they're doing this from the ground up, showing something that hasn't been shown before. This will be different from the original games and from Sonic 4, so it's not something they can experience through a demo of the Vintage Collection or Sonic 4. Modern Sonic however is nearly identical to that of Unleashed.

That's my reasoning for it, anyway. I agree that having both would have been optimal, but I can understand the logic behind their choice, for the sake of HDD space and whatnot.

Could you imagine if they only showcased the Modern version though? Wow, the fanbase would really have exploded!

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

There's no arguing that. I just think Sega wants to be extra certain the Classic gameplay will work for both classic fans and the general public. This is Classic Sonic's big return, after all.

People seem to be confusing the terms "demo" and "beta".

This far into development SEGA isn't going to be making any drastic changes to the game. The demo is purely to promote the game; not get feedback.

Maybe some bugs will be discovered that would have otherwise gone unnoticed by SEGA's testers, but that's it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

People seem to be confusing the terms "demo" and "beta".

Not me. I just think the demo could be extracted from a beta. That or a release candidate. There's still plenty of time to change anything. See the infamous speed booster glitch in City Escape from IGN's E3 stream.

I honestly believe that this limited amount of time and classic-Sonic-only deal could easily be what Nineko said on Retro:

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, they're using the whole fanbase as (unpaid!) beta testers, and as such we're given a specific timeframe since it's nothing more than a step in the development process for them.

This makes most sense to me, especially after the Sonic 4 bawwfests (which I won't lie, I was a part of). If this is really the case then I really appreciate Sega's efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Audience:

"SEGA is just hiding the Classic gameplay,cause they know it will have bad physics"

"They are just releasing the Modern part cause they know the furryfags will eat it up anyways"

"SEGA doesn't care about as at all"

etc.

Sadly tough, that's what I think would really happen

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever which arbitrary reason, that still doesn't excuse Sega for only promoting half of a game meant to celebrate ALL of Sonic, not just half of it.

And FYI, I was anticipating Modern Sonic's gameplay more because it's, ya know, the gameplay that's actually gonna matter in the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not confirmed yet, SEGA hasn't said anything yet. I'm not believing until we hear it from them.

Haven't read the previous pages fully, but Destructoid says we'll get both:

"Tomorrow is Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th anniversary, and SEGA is celebrating by releasing a demo for Sonic Generations. You'll get to have a crack at a "classic" platforming Sonic level and a "modern" level, all in stunning 3D for those that have enabled televisions."

Haven't read the previous pages fully, but Destructoid says we'll get both:

"Tomorrow is Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th anniversary, and SEGA is celebrating by releasing a demo for Sonic Generations. You'll get to have a crack at a "classic" platforming Sonic level and a "modern" level, all in stunning 3D for those that have enabled televisions."

Then they've made a mistake.

Not confirmed yet, SEGA hasn't said anything yet. I'm not believing until we hear it from them.