Awoo.

So, Red Rings.

Tobbii

Since screenshots show that the Five Red Rings per Stage is returning, I thought it'd be nice to see what people think of this.

screenshot_252418.jpgscreenshot_252419.jpg

Both Sonics seems to be getting them, so it's not just there to be part of Modern Sonic's style.

I like the idea of collectables, I just hope it's not the way you unlock Super Sonic this time, I really felt that was a bit too much to ask of us with Colours. What did you think of the Red Rings in Colours and what function do you think/hope they serve more than just collectables in Generations?

I really don't know. If they're used to unlock Special Stages, cool. If they're used to unlock extra stages, cool. If they're used to unlock arts, music and videos, cool. If they're used to progress through the game, not cool.

Also, first look at the rings in gameplay:

firstredringtake2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I gues but not hoping that it will be the same as colors.

But if it isn't like it.. I would say you have to collect a cretain amount of red rings to get through a certain dimension-hole.. or something.^^

Like they did with the moon and sun medals at Unleashed.

If they're used to unlock Special Stages, cool. If they're used to unlock extra stages, cool. If they're used to unlock arts, music and videos, cool. If they're used to progress through the game, not cool.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I hated having to collect the medals in unleashed in order to get to progress through the game. So it depends really on what they're used for.

As long as they aren't dumb enough to make it Generation's medal collecting, it's good. Though it'd be nice if there were more substantial rewards than in Colors.

I actually like that system from Unleashed to get forward. At Colors there wasn't realy a chalange to get to the next Act/Zone. Boring in my opinion.

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The challenge should be the level, not meeting some arbitrary number of collectibles. This ain't Mario 64.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 3

The challenge should be the level, not meeting some arbitrary number of collectibles. This ain't Mario 64.

Yeah it didn't mesh well with the Hub-World/Werehog/Sonic stuff going on, ruins the pacing.

I actually like that system from Unleashed to get forward. At Colors there wasn't realy a chalange to get to the next Act/Zone. Boring in my opinion.

I don't mind a little bit of working to progress in my games either. Figuring out which way to go and doing a little platforming to get to the next stage adds a bit of an immersive element, but the medal requirements in Unleashed can get overwhelming very fast and bog down the pace. If the system had to have been in there, it would have been better going towards extra, unlockable content, like the cutscenes and music and extra stages, but also developer assets like in the Storybook series.

Speaking of which, the above is what I'm hoping the Red Rings ultimately unlock-- Shit I've never seen before. If they're going to reward my ambition and work to get 100% completion with nothing more than invincibility mode, I'm just not going to bother.

I didn't like medal collecting either, mainly because they required a bit too much of it.

I have to admit that it was realy frustrating some times at Unleashed. But the difference is, that this are big red rings. You barely can miss them. And each act or zone has only 5 of them.

As for Unleashed there were 10 and more of them and sometimes very well hidden.

If they were just rewards like Videos and Music I won't care to collect them. And this would be too bad. :|

Videos and Musik you can easily watch them on cretain video platform.

I have to admit that it was realy frustrating some times at Unleashed. But the difference is, that this are big red rings. You barely can miss them. And each act or zone has only 5 of them.

As for Unleashed there were 10 and more of them and sometimes very well hidden.

We barely know anything about how they'll be in the game, there's no way you can say that they'll be easy to collect.

And if they are easy to collect, there's really no point in using them as a barrier, right?

It's not a bad idea because Unleashed did it wrong, it's a bad idea because it doesn't mesh with the nature of the game, no matter how many there are or where you hide them.

We barely know anything about how they'll be in the game, there's no way you can say that they'll be easy to collect.

And if they are easy to collect, there's really no point in using them as a barrier, right?

It's not a bad idea because Unleashed did it wrong, it's a bad idea because it doesn't mesh with the nature of the game, no matter how many there are or where you hide them.

Ok you are right. But I actually would miss that "barrier". And if they are that easy to get you don't have to worry about it.

The only thing what would be an incentive for me is, if you are getting Trophy/Achievments for collecting them. For any other bonus except bonus acts I would care less.

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

I'm glad they put the Red Rings in. It almost guarantees at least one form of Super Sonic and finding them all adds replay value, I'm for it.

I don't mind if the red rings are like colors again, so as long as they don't put them in really awkward locations you wouldn't think to look. (like that one act in Aquarium Park where it is right behind you even though your natural instinct is to go forward when starting a level).I'm also hoping I don't have to unlock media via these things either. Some of those in Unleashed I simply couldn't find. :(

Hey!, it would be pretty cool if they implemented a system similar to Sonic Mega/Gems Collection where some secret unlockables will be unlocked overtime the more times you play a level. This would greatly encourage multiple playthroughs just like those games did. They would have to adjust the timing of the unlockables, of course, to avoid making it too easy, but it would certainly be pretty cool!. ^_^

I don't mind if the red rings are like colors again, so as long as they don't put them in really awkward locations you wouldn't think to look. (like that one act in Aquarium Park where it is right behind you even though your natural instinct is to go forward when starting a level).
  • Thumbs Up 6

No way man that one was great. Messing with the "always go right" instinct is a great way to hide collectibles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind if the red rings are like colors again, so as long as they don't put them in really awkward locations you wouldn't think to look. (like that one act in Aquarium Park where it is right behind you even though your natural instinct is to go forward when starting a level).I'm also hoping I don't have to unlock media via these things either. Some of those in Unleashed I simply couldn't find. :(

But man, that's the whole point of exploring! I'd say the placement in Colours could actually possibly have done with being more awkward!

...A lot of them were really easy to find, if you did just have a nosy around the place, messing about with the various Wisps. A few of them really felt good to get though, because they were in really annoying places. Like that level in Aquarium Park with all the blue blocks. The ring at the end, RIGHT above the Goal Ring... man, that took me SO many tries, even Naruto wouldn't be able to believe it!

...Okay, I'll stop with the fail pop culture references.

Edited by the blu blur

No way man that one was great. Messing with the "always go right" instinct is a great way to hide collectibles.

I never thought people would like getting themselves a red ring that much, people used to hate that.

Edit: Sorry, that was a really bad joke.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'd like to see the red rings unlock stages like in Colours, but without factoring into the whole special stage/Super Sonic element. Bonus stages like the hidden islands in Sonic Rush Adventure would be cool. Maybe unlockable characters like classic Tails and Knuckles, Shadow, Amy etc.

Of course if those aren't the case, extra music like in All-Stars Racing, or maybe a collection of less common older games like Triple Trouble and Chaotix (similar to the GG collection in DX) might be cool.

Whatever Sonic Team does with them will probably be cool. Those are just what I'd hope for.

In any case, I enjoyed collecting them in Colours. Even if I wasn't totally satisfied with the reward.

Edited by Super Choop

I'm good with the red rings.

Just so long as they're only used for unlocking extras, and not used for progressing to the next stage like the medals in Unleashed.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every time I see this topic come up I think, Red ring of death? What? Anyways red rings....eh as long as it's handled the right way. I'm not a fan of searching a whole stage just for a red ring or 5. I preferred the emblem system they used years ago. I love that.

Since it's red rings returning and not medals or some other type of collectible, I don't think there's much reason to suspect that they'll be any different from the way they appeared in Colours... which is fine with me. Of course, since this is an anniversary game I suspect that we'll get proper special stages instead of something like Game Land, but I can certainly think of worse ways of entering special stages than collecting red rings (ugh, Heroes). I really doubt that they'll be used like Unleashed's medals; those were probably more maligned within the fandom than the werehog itself, and since this game seems to be trying as hard as it can to win back the affection of lapsed fans... well, I hope Sonic Team will be trying their hardest to eliminate minor annoyances of that sort.