Awoo.

Tobbii's Sonic 20th Game Marathon (Image Heavy!)

Tobbii

PROBABLY CANCELLED: Due to issues with my computer, and with the Dazzle and various small issues everywhere. This is probably cancelled. Unless I pop up her on the 25th (2 days late) and do it, I won't. I might try to do something similiar in later months if I can solve the issues. Thank you to everyone who anticipated this, and I'm very very sorry.

sonic20thannTSSedition.jpg

Totalsofar2.jpg

So, as some of you know through talking to me, reading a few posts or by watching me on YouTube/Justin.TV, I am preparing a Sonic Video Game Marathon starting on the 23'rd of June and going on to a, for now, undefined date. The event will be watch-able through a live-stream and I'll be talking to people through chat and might even take a few calls by Skype if anyone feels like talking to me during the thing. I also intend on letting you choose a few of the games I'll be playing, but as of now, only a handful has been set in stone.

RULESET

(See updates below for info on why certain rules were applied)

Played on Xbox 360

Set Of Rules:

I May:

• Save between stage so that we don't get stuck in case I suck.
  • Finish the game without all six emeralds.

I May Not:

• Ragequit the game unless chat demands it.
    • Save in the middle of a stage or boss.

Played on PC
Set Of Rules:
I May:

• Finish the game without all six time stones.
  • Finish the game without gaining Good Futures.

I May Not:

Played on Xbox 360
Set Of Rules:
I May:

• Finish the game without all seven emeralds.
  • Play as either 'Sonic' or 'Sonic & Tails'.
  • Skip Special Stages.

I May Not:

• Play as 'Tails' or 'Knuckles'.

Played on Xbox 360
Set Of Rules:
I May:

• Finish the game without all seven SUPER emeralds.
  • Play as either 'Sonic' or 'Sonic & Tails'.

I May Not:

• Finish the game without all seven CHAOS emeralds.
    • Play as 'Tails' or 'Knuckles'

Played on Xbox 360
Set Of Rules:
I May:

• Replay the game from my regular save and use Super Sonic.
  • Skip Special Stages.

I May Not:

[*]Ragequit the game unless chat demands it.

Played on Xbox 360

Set Of Rules:

I May:

[*]Skip Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, E-102 and Big.

I May Not:

Played on Nintendo Wii

Set Of Rules:

I May:

[*]Replay the game from my regular save.

I May Not:

Played on Nintendo Wii

Set Of Rules:

I May:

[*]Replay the game from my regular save.

[*]Skip Team Dark, Team Rose and Team Chaotix.

[*]Skip Special Stages.

I May Not:

Note that this could still be cancelled, as of now I intend on doing it, but in case something would come up, I will make sure to inform you all if it's cancelled. But I doubt that would happen.

Two games was picked by you guys (Sonic CD and Black Knight).

Sonic 4 is placed after Sonic 3 due to me deciding on playing them in canon-order rather than the order of release, this could still change.

I update this post with info like...

[*]Precise dates and time.

[*]If any changes are made.

[*]Each game's rules.

[*]etc. etc.

...whenever I can.

Stuff:

Original Announcement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2011-05-19: Two new games and new info

Right, added Sonic & Knuckles as well as ShadowTH (It's his birthday too) to the current games list.

I've almost chosen the games you all get to choose from, it should be up soon, I'm sure the selection will please people.

This is how voting will work.

Once I've shown the games, you will all get one vote each on which game you want in the marathon. The voting will end on a set date, then another voting will start for game #2. How do you vote? Just write it in your post, want to change your vote? Just edit before the end-date.

You might also notice that I've changed the boxarts up there, well I've had to change consoles and such for various reasons.

NO SYSTEM IS FINAL UNTIL THE LIVE DATE, BUT THE ONES WRITTEN ARE THE ONES INTENDED.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2011-05-19: Voting Starts!

The games are presented, one of these five will be secret game #1.

VOTING OVER. winners: Sonic CD and Black Knight.

UPDATE 2011-05-26: Money trouble!

People, I MIGHT not be able to do Sonic 4 on the marathon due to money issues. I probably can, but in a worst case scenario that game, and maybe even Sonic & Knuckles could get scrapped.

Thing is, I don't have that much money this month and need to buy them both on XBLA in order to play them, now I might hold them off and wait until the 25th (since the marathon will still be going then) and then play them if I can. But just so you know, there might be issues there.

UPDATE 2011-05-30: Voting is over!

So voting is over, awesome. We now have 14 revealed games that will hopefully be played, as I mentioned S&K and Sonic 4 might become an issue.

Anyway, coming in next is a set of rules for each game. You'll be allowed to share input on them, but I can't guarantee I'll change them since I've chosen them for my own convenience, I don't want to be playing this for weeks. :P

UPDATE 2011-06-12: First set of Rules!

Sonic 1-4 now has a ruleset, and I know that to some it might sound cheap of me to allow such things as saving, but the thing is, I'm not good at surviving some later stages and it wouldn't be fun to watch me replay Sonic 1 about 20 times in order to get past Labyrinth Zone.

As for using Super Sonic in Sonic 4, well it's based on logic. At the end of Sonic 3K I have Super Sonic, so why would I not at the start of Sonic 4? :P Also, since I know it's not that popular, I figured it lets me get through it quicker.

I'm considering adding ragequit allowing to some games like Sonic CD, because I really do suck at it, I will notify if that's the case.

UPDATE 2011-06-13: Second set of Rules!

SA, SA2 and Heroes have rulesets!

Okay, listen here. I know I wrote that I may skip a bunch of stuff, that doesn't mean I will. That mean that if I feel like I want to, I can. I'm going to try to at least play Tails's story in Sonic Adventure for example.

UPDATE 2011-06-15: Problems

Problems are occuring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LOkRpMVNC0

[*]Skip cutscenes.

[*]Skip cutscenes.

[*]Skip Hero Side or Dark Side.

[*]Skip cutscenes.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 6

You going to play Sonic 3 locked on with S&K? That's the only way it should truly be played, after all. Plus, no Sonic CD depresses thee. But with it's rarity outside of Gems Collection (and SSMB's undying hatred for SCD) I'm not surprised by it's absence. :P

I'll be looking into watching these playthroughs when they are done. Will be neat to see someone zoom through them all in just a couple of sittings!

You going to play Sonic 3 locked on with S&K? That's the only way it should truly be played, after all. Plus, no Sonic CD depresses thee. But with it's rarity outside of Gems Collection (and SSMB's undying hatred for SCD) I'm not surprised by it's absence. :P

I'll be looking into watching these playthroughs when they are done. Will be neat to see someone zoom through them all in just a couple of sittings!

I have Sonic CD for PC, and I can confirm it will be one of the options for the games you people can pick. As for Sonic3K, I want to do it, but I can only promise Sonic 3 as of now. Also, the fact that I suck at every stage in the "& Knuckles" part just makes it boring to watch. But we'll see. :P

Welp, I guess I can't do mine now. (Unless of course yours isn't 24-hour-athon like mine...) I guess I'll watch yours instead! :D

Welp, I guess I can't do mine now. (Unless of course yours isn't 24-hour-athon like mine...) I guess I'll watch yours instead! :D

Definitely do Sonic CD. Can't have a marathon of main series games without it.

Edited by Preston

If I were to add Sonic CD, would you guys prefer it between Sonic 1 and 2 or between Sonic 2 and 3, seeing as 3 is a direct sequel to Sonic 2 it could look a bit odd.

If you're doing these games in order of release, you might have to do Sonic CD between Sonic 2 and 3. If you're doing it to give the marathon a more consistent flow, do Sonic CD between Sonic 1 and 2. I think Sonic CD is suppose to take place before Sonic 2 anyway.

As for what my second choice would be, Knuckles Chaotix. If you can't do character spin-offs for this marathon, maybe Sonic Advance 1? If you can't do handheld games, then the only option left I can recommend is Sonic R, a game short enough for one extra space in the marathon.

Edited by Preston

If you're doing it to give the marathon a more consistent flow, do Sonic CD between Sonic 1 and 2. I think Sonic CD is suppose to take place before Sonic 2 anyway.

Edited by bolt7

Voting has started people! :D

Read the original post!

Edited by Tobbii

Awesome idea :) My vote goes for Sonic CD.I think it should be in there because it is canon(We get a Sonic CD flashback on Sonic Adventure).

Edit: I change my vote to Black Knight

Edited by pppp

My vote goes to Sonic CD, mostly since the others would be relatively boring to watch, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I vote Sonic 3D since I'm a terrible person and I really like it for some reason. =P Okay, changed my mind already. Black Knight would be better (since I hardly played this game and hope to see if someone can actually defeat Gawain properly rather than just waving the remote around like a mad man for three minutes.) Still, I can see CD winning, which is 100% okay in my books.

Probably going to stream the Saturn version once I get my Dazzle up and running; it's better imo, but the Mega Drive one is still good.

Edited by bolt7

I should add that the only game here which I haven't beat is Black Knight, in fact, I haven't made it past the first 3 stages.

I should add that the only game here which I haven't beat is Black Knight, in fact, I haven't made it past the first 3 stages.

So you managed to beat the broken controls of Secret Rings but couldn't beat Black Knight? Does not Compute :blink:

So you managed to beat the broken controls of Secret Rings but couldn't beat Black Knight? Does not Compute :blink:

Secret Rings worked fine for me, Black Knight... Not so much. That's kind of the reason it's up there, gives me a reason to beat it.

Secret Rings worked fine for me, Black Knight... Not so much. That's kind of the reason it's up there, gives me a reason to beat it.

At least in Black Knight you could actually control Sonic :P

You know what? i'm changing my vote: Black Knight. So i can hear the awesome celtic rock that it has while you play B)

Edited by pppp

At least in Black Knight you could actually control Sonic :P

I can't. :P

So are you gonna change my vote Tobii?

I am, was busy with GENERATIONS GAMEPLAY! :P

hmm,hey Tobii what happens if the voting ends with a tie? cause it's a probable scenario.

I'm not sure, I guess I'll take both and skip the voting on game #2?

Does that sound good?

I'm not sure, I guess I'll take both and skip the voting on game #2?

Does that sound good?

sounds good to me.