Awoo.

Not a sonic game?

Eternal EX

Okay this is something I've seen all over. If it does not have high speed with a mix of platforming, it's not a sonic game. Okay stop. Um I'm sure people LOVED the hunting and shooting aspects of the Sonic adventure games. Uh so would that alone not make that a sonic game? Just because in a sonic there is something different, it be the werehog, shooting (Eggman/Tails) or hunting (Team chaotix and knuckles) does that make it not a sonic game? Yeah all of the aspects MINUS speed is in the majority but isn't sonic a platformer FIRST then highspeed? Uh I believe SONIC 1 says yes. It was the not the fastest sonic game at all but it did have PLATFORMING. Platforming is sonic's genre right? And everything that was in a sonic game, hunting, shooting, werehog, had platforming. Meaning it's a sonic game. So what Sonic games are adding more to the game by letting other characters get some spotlight by giving them their own play style. It is what the character is about. And in the end it does not leave it's genre...PLATFORMING.

Is anyone else tired of people bitching about that?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 5

I actually haven't seen anyone bitch about that since... well, last year with Sonic 4.

Huh.

Well, the point is, I don't let it get to me. It's really no different than that "true canon" and "true fan" bullcrap we went through years ago, and it'll fade just like those statement did if you don't pay it any mind or, if it enters a serious discussion, call it out and severely discredit it.

There's more to something than the genre, you can't put Sonic in a Mario game and call it Sonic because it's a platformer, that's just fucking dumb.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, since when has a Sonic game "not being a Sonic game" been a complaint?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just because in a sonic there is something different, it be the werehog, shooting (Eggman/Tails) or hunting (Team chaotix and knuckles) does that make it not a sonic game?
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll say what I've said before.

Sonic is a franchise of variety. No style of gameplay can claim, "this is what Sonic should be." And no style of gameplay can claim, "this is NOT what Sonic should be." It is all Sonic, because if you haven't noticed yet, the franchise has spent most of its duration exploring and taking risks. (Their main character seems to be an advocate of exploring and taking risks himself, for that matter.) Shooting levels are Sonic. Hunting levels are Sonic. Werehog is Sonic. Telekinesis is Sonic. Platforming is Sonic. Speed is Sonic.

And hell, bottomless pits are Sonic!

/well let's not get carried away now

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll say what I've said before.

Sonic is a franchise of variety. No style of gameplay can claim, "this is what Sonic should be." And no style of gameplay can claim, "this is NOT what Sonic should be." It is all Sonic, because if you haven't noticed yet, the franchise has spent most of its duration exploring and taking risks. (Their main character seems to be an advocate of exploring and taking risks himself, for that matter.) Shooting levels are Sonic. Hunting levels are Sonic. Werehog is Sonic. Telekinesis is Sonic. Platforming is Sonic. Speed is Sonic.

And hell, bottomless pits are Sonic!

/well let's not get carried away now

I like the way you think. Because it's the truth, as long as SEGA publishes it and the title has ANYTHING Sonic related in it, it's a Sonic game.

Sonic is a franchise of variety. No style of gameplay can claim, "this is what Sonic should be." And no style of gameplay can claim, "this is NOT what Sonic should be." It is all Sonic, because if you haven't noticed yet, the franchise has spent most of its duration exploring and taking risks.
Yeah, and committing a slow suicide in the process. Having done something before doesn't mean it's ok to do it again. Sticking in whatever gameplay style tickles their fancy hasn't done any good for the series.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1 is a terrible example of what a Sonic game should be. It was an excellent starting point for the series. But seriously - the best zones were Green Hill, Spring Yard and Starlight. I.e. the ones where it lets you go fast.

Edited by JezMM

But seriously - the best zones were Green Hill, Scrap Brain and Starlight. I.e. the ones where it lets you go fast.

Fix'd. :P

Also, Marble Zone was fun.

Sonic is a platformer. What seperates Sonic from any other platformer is the speed. Another thing that seperates Sonic from nay other platformer, is the level design, which is designed to allow you to go fast and make it difficult to do so at the same time.

Sure, there is no genre Sonic can't do, but leave that for spin-offs, or MAKE IT OPTIONAL. I don't want to be forced to play something, that I clearly do not want to play.

Fix'd. :P

Also, Marble Zone was fun.

Well the whole game is fun fo sho', but Marble, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain were far more traditional and uninnovative in their design. Green Hill, Spring Yard and Starlight are usually the fondly remembered ones, and clearly what they based Sonic 2 and 3 on, design ethos-wise.

The first time you play them though, Marble and Labyrinth are such horrific cockblockers with regards to the rest of the game's content.

What made Sonic so popular in the first place? The new and unique style of speed based platforming that was more than just a speedy Mario game. What made Sonic go downhill fast? Glitchy games, and unneeded gimmicks like alternate playstyles. In the adventure games' time, they were the first bit of a good main Sonic game that we've seen since 1994, alternate playstyles weren't minded and everybody focused on Sonic's gameplay, but when they were rerealesed for gamecube, reviewers started to critizise the alternate gameplay...then Unleashed came alonng and was harshly burned for the werehog... When a series establishes a unique gameplay style that works and made it famous like Sonic then that is the type of gameplay it should keep building on and not forcibly shoehorn any other random style into it. Mind telling me where I can find another speedy platformer?

Also, if Mario started shoehorning forced Shooting gameplay for 70% of the game that has nothing to do with his traditional platforming, I guarantee the series would lose popularity, it'd lose me for sure. Same thing with CoD if it started shoehorning platforming for 70% of the game.

• Thumbs Up 4

The first time you play them though, Marble and Labyrinth are such horrific cockblockers with regards to the rest of the game's content.

That's actually what I thought of Spring Yard.

That's actually what I thought of Spring Yard.

I think the deal for me was level length. Marble Zone is like... Act 1 is a good length... then Act 2 and 3 are basically playing through Act 1 about another 4 times but with more spikes. I mean all of Sonic 1's levels are pretty similar within the zones but Marble's design gimmicks get old faster somehow to me.

I don't know, it seems like half the time people are making threads about complaints that one person made.

• Thumbs Up 2

You think this is new?