Awoo.

The Rank System

Tobbii

ranksmini.jpg

So yeah, we finally got to see the rank system last night, it works like the previous ones, going from D-A and including S for the very best.

However, now S rank = A rank + Perfect Run (Not Dying).

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I personally like it, I think it makes what S Rank really is, a bit clearer. A Rank should be best after all, a "S"pecial Rank fits better for a A Rank made perfect.

Edit:

We were wrong.

S Rank requires No Death, but also a set score. DAMNIT!

rankfail.png

Edited by Tobbii

I love that! It'll make it way harder to get S ranks in later levels....oh God, imagine Eggmanland being in this game and you'll have to play it entirely without dying!! *shivers*

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm cool with it. I especially like how clear it is now what you need to do to boost up your rank. The only concern I have is that no E rank means no epic fail music like in Unleashed. Maybe it's been bumped over to D, but still, I hope it's there.

I love that! It'll make it way harder to get S ranks in later levels....oh God, imagine Eggmanland being in this game and you'll have to play it entirely without dying!! *shivers*

Edited by Tobbii

Works for me. In previous games you'd usually have to finish without dying to S-rank anyway.

This looks similar to the system that the Wii version of Unleashed used. It is really straightforward about what you have to do to earn each rank and clearly lets you know how to improve your score. The only thing I didn't like about that system was that it showed you mid-stage what your rank would be (I like a little suspense at the stage clear screen). Generations cleans up that complaint nicely.

I liked the ranking system in unleashed(well only because I have all S ranks :D ) but this system seems less challenging. This could make it less annoying,(Eggmanland <_< ) to S rank without being punished for certain reasons. Also newcomers will find it easier. In the end,a great idea from Sega.

I don't like it too much. Mainly because now, we barely have a score system anymore. I liked Color's ranking system because rushing to the end of the stage with as many rings as you could snag didn't necessarily get you that S rank; you had build up your score and sometimes explore the level carefully as well. Your speed and ring count contributed to your rank, but in the end, it was the quality of your run that counted, not how quickly and cleanly you could get it done in a single shot; the points are only based on the time and rings now, not how many tricks you pull off, or how many enemies you kill, etc. But that's been scrapped it seems. Granted, I hated HOW you got the points in Colors, but that's besides the point.

Aww well. It's the one thing I don't like so far about this game. That's it. So y'know what? I can deal with it.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't possibly be the only one getting an extremely Samba de Amigo esque vibe from the GUI there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Works for me. In previous games you'd usually have to finish without dying to S-rank anyway.

I can't possibly be the only one getting an extremely Samba de Amigo esque vibe from the GUI there.

Bear in mind,guys that the ranking system is possibly not tweaked yet until final release, so A ranks and S ranks are gonna be pretty common regardless of skill level.

I'm liking what I'm seeing though from the rankings. They appear pretty much unchanged aside from the subtle improvements like the new visual gauge that acts as an indicator on how far you are from other ranks, and of course the visual aesthetics are heavily borrowed from the game's logo. Don't know what else to say about it as I need to see more of it in action when its better calibrated. I hope the E rank returns though from Unleashed. It was a nice touch. Oh, and it also appears they reverted back to the Unleashed format overall with the score no longer being interactive (breakable).

Oh, and it also appears they reverted back to the Unleashed format overall with the score no longer being interactive (breakable).

A cute touch in Colours, but not a problem really. Especially since I like my big and glamorous results screens.

I like it, adds replay value and hopefully unlockables too.

It's doable, i've done it...it's a total bitch, but certainly possible

• Thumbs Up 1

Shhh facebook is watching us again.

Oh, and it also appears they reverted back to the Unleashed format overall with the score no longer being interactive (breakable).

Eh no biggy. I don't mind seeing sonic do some crazy flips when he gets an A or S instead of busting the numbers hoping for an extra life.

Eh, I'm fine with it, although I'm with EXshad in my preference for the Colors approach. This one seems less interesting, and a bit less challenging.

imagine Eggmanland being in this game and you'll have to play it entirely without dying!! *shivers*

This looks similar to the system that the Wii version of Unleashed used. It is really straightforward about what you have to do to earn each rank and clearly lets you know how to improve your score.

I did like that Unleashed Wii's system was more transparent, but weren't the scores for the daytime levels based solely on time? I'm glad they took the parts that worked from that system without adopting everything. I approve.

I also love the idea of a bar that fills up to show how well you've done. Not really necessary if you can see the numbers, but a fun little visual touch.

I really liked that idea when I first heard about it, but in practice it wasn't worth much. Half the time you'd get extra lives when you reached the end of a level anyway, and you couldn't increase your score or get anything else. I mean, at least the sign-bouncing thing in S3&K could give you shields to keep in the next act.

I always found it particularly funny that the interactive score screen was used in the Game Land stages, where you couldn't even get extra lives.

The one thing I'm disappointed about is how there isn't a general score you earn throughout the level, and the fact that your rank is pretty much based solely around time.

We were wrong.

rankfail.png

I don't see why you would expect otherwise. Walking through the stage at 2 mph to prevent death should not result in an S rank.

• Thumbs Up 1