Awoo.

The Rank System

Tobbii

We were wrong.

S Rank requires No Death, but also a set score. DAMNIT!

rankfail.png

Who thought that other yourself, I never doubted that we wouldn't be able to S Rank even if we died I could die in Sonic Colours 1/2 times then go on to S Rank a level lol :P

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

I don't see why you would expect otherwise. Walking through the stage at 2 mph to prevent death should not result in an S rank.

Ehm. Did you read the thread?

What I meant was that it wasn't simply A Rank + Not Dying as it seemed, but actually a set score above A Rank + Not Dying.

We were wrong.

S Rank requires No Death, but also a set score. DAMNIT!

rankfail.png

Wait, I think... I don't think 'score' would be accurate. Look at that picture a sec- Is it just me, or does it simply suggest that the next rank requires you to finish the level 23 seconds faster?

If so, rings and score no longer matter, it's only about the time you take. Perhaps rings are simply listed, as they show, more or less, how much boost you're likely to have picked up during the stage?

I guess those of you who wanted to stop and smell the bizarre rotating flowers are going to have to get used to As and Bs.

Wait, I think... I don't think 'score' would be accurate. Look at that picture a sec- Is it just me, or does it simply suggest that the next rank requires you to finish the level 23 seconds faster?

If so, rings and score no longer matter, it's only about the time you take. Perhaps rings are simply listed, as they show, more or less, how much boost you're likely to have picked up during the stage?

I guess those of you who wanted to stop and smell the bizarre rotating flowers are going to have to get used to As and Bs.

That can't be right though.

Because the green part of the meter is time and the orange is rings.

I would like a poorly played mockery of a music theme every time I get a D rank like with Sonic Unleashed E ranks, but that probably won't happen though.

Shame, getting E ranks was one of my favorite parts of Unleashed. I kid you not.

I would like a poorly played mockery of a music theme every time I get a D rank like with Sonic Unleashed E ranks, but that probably won't happen though.

Shame, getting E ranks was one of my favorite parts of Unleashed. I kid you not.

I hated that, knowing in advance the game was going to mock me for my slip up at that particular jump, or that I'd been thrown off somewhere that I wasn't in control of. I dreaded finishing levels if I died at all during them.

I can appreciate you might like that, but some people like getting whipped. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that, but regardless, I don't like being told I suck at things. Why, do you?

I know that, but regardless, I don't like being told I suck at things. Why, do you?

• Thumbs Up 1

"The inanimate object hurt my feelings" is never going to be a good argument against rankings (or of E-rankings, or of hilarious out-of-tune results music when getting an E-rank).

• Thumbs Up 1

"The inanimate object hurt my feelings" is never going to be a good argument against rankings (or of E-rankings, or of hilarious out-of-tune results music when getting an E-rank).

I know. And I don't like being told I suck. I really think you're taking this way too seriously, buddy. Maybe you should take a quick walk and grab a bite to eat. Chill off and come back in a bit. It's the Internet. It can wait.

lol. Don't talk down to me like that.

I simply don't understand how you can take a rank in a game so seriously. That's what I'm saying.

I did like that Unleashed Wii's system was more transparent, but weren't the scores for the daytime levels based solely on time? I'm glad they took the parts that worked from that system without adopting everything. I approve.

I also love the idea of a bar that fills up to show how well you've done. Not really necessary if you can see the numbers, but a fun little visual touch.

I really liked that idea when I first heard about it, but in practice it wasn't worth much. Half the time you'd get extra lives when you reached the end of a level anyway, and you couldn't increase your score or get anything else. I mean, at least the sign-bouncing thing in S3&K could give you shields to keep in the next act.

I always found it particularly funny that the interactive score screen was used in the Game Land stages, where you couldn't even get extra lives.

I supposed it was used to help counter the awkward "100 rings=no 1up lol?" sorta thing they had going. Granted its a time waster in the end of the day, but it certainly has its novelty factor at least when looking back at it. Generations restored the 100 ring rule, so its purpose is lost in that regard.

Also, Ranking systems like this one always come off as so eloquent and classy. Why is that? :D

lol. Don't talk down to me like that.

I simply don't understand how you can take a rank in a game so seriously. That's what I'm saying.

My apologies if that's how you interpreted my wording, it was unintentional. But I meant what I said, this is the Internet, if you're getting hot under the collar about anything, it helps to take a break, calm yourself, and give yourself some time to formulate an appropriate answer instead of mindlessly lashing out.

As such though, I do understand that sometimes the most appropriate answer is the simplest one.

No, you're right, games are not serious, and I fully believe that. You'll find myself taking that very position on a number of other issues, such as the whole 'purple rocks' thing that happened a few days ago, the general feeling towards Sonic's design, the direction of the series as a whole, et cetera.

It's not that I'm taking the rank itself to be insulting, but rather that the game feels the need to throw the lowest possible rank at you for a single mistake, and the closer to the end you make that mistake, the less chance of redeeming your score, and therefore your rank, there is.

A simple knockdown from S to A or B would have done. Much like what Generations is doing, in fact. So hopefully, if the E rank music style does make a return, it will be more avoidable.

Afterall, not everyone has your apparent talent for pulling off every level flawlessly, hm?

A simple knockdown from S to A or B would have done. Much like what Generations is doing, in fact. So hopefully, if the E rank music style does make a return, it will be more avoidable.

Afterall, not everyone has your apparent talent for pulling off every level flawlessly, hm?

It's been confirmed actually that an S rank doesn't mean A with no deaths now....

And what? I didn't ever say that. You practice, you get better. Simple.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That can't be right though.

Because the green part of the meter is time and the orange is rings.

Hmm, looks like it, but I'm not entirely sure about this though...

Hmm, looks like it, but I'm not entirely sure about this though...

Well why else would there be two different colours? I mean, the bar is fully filled after all.

Well why else would there be two different colours? I mean, the bar is fully filled after all.

Yeah, and each part of the meter fills accordingly to what's being tallied up.

I love it it's a great way on how to improve how you play the level and improve your scores & times, I use to get E's all the time in Adabat act 1 day stage & Sharmar Act 1 day stage about 1 half years ago until I kept on pushing myself on not dying, getting so many rings, doing perfect QTE's and going as fast as I can past the checkpoints so it's cool being told you suck so you can improve your suckyness to awesomeness but it's nothing to worry about really.

Also I do hope for a E Rank music of the Sonic 3 clear music in this game that will make my year XD

Huh, looks like I started a small debate. Heh.

I do not know if this has been asked before. Has it been confirmed that the loss of a life will reset the score or will the score system work like Sonic colors?

Huh, looks like I started a small debate. Heh.

I do not know if this has been asked before. Has it been confirmed that the loss of a life will reset the score or will the score system work like Sonic colors?

The dude in one of the previews died at the part with the giant fish and still got an A rank, so I'm assuming it doesn't get reset. Too lazy to actually confirm it at the moment though. d:

What "score?!" The score isn't reset, because there is only a final score, determined by how fast you complete the stage and how many rings you have at the end. Beat it fast enough with enough rings, and you'll get an A, which is the highest score unless you don't die, in which case you'll get an S.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've deducted so far anyway.

What "score?!" The score isn't reset, because there is only a final score, determined by how fast you complete the stage and how many rings you have at the end. Beat it fast enough with enough rings, and you'll get an A, which is the highest score unless you don't die, in which case you'll get an S.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've deducted so far anyway.

Almost correct. S Rank is not A Rank + Not Dying as I first wrote, the latest preview clearly showed an A Rank with a box saying how much faster he had to go to get an S Rank. I added it to the Opening Post.