Awoo.

Games Masters greatest gift to the Sonic fanbase ever!

Badnik Mechanic

Also, I was a little shocked/ disappointed to see the word 'shit' mentioned in the Michael Jackson article (page 101). Whilst I obviously have no real qualms with the word, the fact this is a Sonic-themed special means that there's a fair chance kids will be picking this up, or at least pestering their parents to do so. It's not going to do Sonic any favours with parents. Or are they assuming that the ridiculous price of the magazine will prevent it from getting into children's hands or something?

Blah blah blah, really get over it.

I'm sure there are worst threats out there to little children then a magazine GETTING INTO CHILDREN'S HANDS AND BEING FORCED TO SEE THE WORD "SHIT"! OMGZ!!??!?! CALL DA POLICE OR SUMTHIN, A LITTLE KID SAW DA WORD "SHIT!"... I can imagine you being one of those sort of people to just specially e-mail or ring up just to complain about it.

Edited by Cerium
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Who pissed in your cereal? Was there really any need for that outburst, regardless of anyone's opinion on it?

• Thumbs Up 3

Who pissed in your cereal? Was there really any need for that outburst, regardless of anyone's opinion on it?

Agreed. That was completely out of nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made the trip into town on my lunch break to grab a copy. I haven't read it properly yet, but flicking through it - I am *very* impressed with this - especially as I stopped reading GamesMaster 7 or so years ago. My workmates were pretty bemused (as they always are) when I come back with a huge grin on my face. It's nice to see some SSMB dudes contributing to the magazine too! Don't let the price put you off - a lot of love has gone into this. Until my dream of a hardback Sonic encyclopedia comes along - this is the next best thing.

I made the trip into town on my lunch break to grab a copy. I haven't read it properly yet, but flicking through it - I am *very* impressed with this - especially as I stopped reading GamesMaster 7 or so years ago. My workmates were pretty bemused (as they always are) when I come back with a huge grin on my face. It's nice to see some SSMB dudes contributing to the magazine too! Don't let the price put you off - a lot of love has gone into this. Until my dream of a hardback Sonic encyclopedia comes along - this is the next best thing.

Edited by Hogfather

To put the price into perspective. A pack of 4 Sonic pin badges from HMV is about... what £5 each? Yeah these pins are a lot smaller, but you also get the stickers which are very well made and the giant double sided poster, the generations side is free of any magazine logos too which is a big bonus.

Blah blah blah, really get over it.

I'm sure there are worst threats out there to little children then a magazine GETTING INTO CHILDREN'S HANDS AND BEING FORCED TO SEE THE WORD "SHIT"! OMGZ!!??!?! CALL DA POLICE OR SUMTHIN, A LITTLE KID SAW DA WORD "SHIT!"... I can imagine you being one of those sort of people to just specially e-mail or ring up just to complain about it.

No, I just think it's a bit irresponsible of them, is all. I don't personally care myself, I'm actually thinking of it more from the child's point of view.

Think about it; You're a young child. Your parents buy you a Sonic magazine that happens to have a moderately strong swearword in it. What do you suppose your parents will do if they find out?

Chances are they'll limit/ restrict/ ban the child's access to Sonic, seeing it as 'untrustworthy' and what have you. I mean, from a parent's perspective, if a bad word can slip through the cracks once, who's to say it couldn't happen again?

Maybe I'm just being too hypothetical, but I certainly know that whenever I found anything that was arguably 'questionable' in something I had as a kid, I always worried that my parents would see it and throw a spanner in the works. Call it over-analysing if you will, but something as seemingly small as this could potentially spoil Sonic for some kid out there, and I don't think that's fair.

Edited by -Mark-

None in my area.

Lovely.

I am going to assume this is brilliance incarnate and every page has Sonic rubbing his gentitals in Peach's face whilst Mario looks on horrified.

• Thumbs Up 3

For anyone struggling to find a copy at their local WHSmith - Future's own subby site sells the "Bookazine" as a seperate product right here

Your Welcome ; )

• Bad Quality Post 3

Woah dude! Better not swear! Little children may be reading the internetz and seeing a word like 'pissed' may warp their fragile little mind and give them a bad impression of the internet and what the internet is like. Cool it!

What exactly is your problem?

What exactly is your problem?

No problem at all good sir, I just thought it was kinda funny somebody got "shocked/disappointed" because a magazine had a 'naughty' word in it.

• Bad Quality Post 2

Loved the magazine I have to say. Noticed alot of fan art on characters like Metal Knuckles and even Mephiles too but hell its all good to me. At least I have a new Generations poster :)

Mark: You'll be surprised how many older gaming mags actually used swear words. I recall "Dreamcast Magazine" used it's fair share of swears back in the day (and Mean Machines constantly pushed the PG limits)

Theres also the debate over shit and crap being actual swear words, its at worst the mildest swears out there on the list. Long as they don't use the F and C words, these publications should be okay. My parents never stopped me reading Dreamcast Magazine or other Magazines over one instance of a swear word (and to be honest, most kids over the age of 10 already know "naughty words") the only thing my parents banned me from seeing is South Park, and I think that was more to do with the general vulgarity of the show, than the swearing. (which I can sort of understand really...)

Parents that react in such a major way are the kind of parents that are way too over-protective anyway, and simply looking for an excuse to ban something. Tis a fact of life as a kid, you have to make do with whatever mom and dad declares kosher or hope you can win em over. The odds of the parent reading the magazine is minimal anyway.

Mark: You'll be surprised how many older gaming mags actually used swear words. I recall "Dreamcast Magazine" used it's fair share of swears back in the day (and Mean Machines constantly pushed the PG limits)

Theres also the debate over shit and crap being actual swear words, its at worst the mildest swears out there on the list. Long as they don't use the F and C words, these publications should be okay.

See, I personally consider 'crap' being the mildest swearword, yet personally I actually consider 'shit' fairly moderate to strong. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion and upbringing.

Also, bear in mind even in South Park, they censored the word 'shit' (although for one episode they didn't and used that as the running gag), so it must be generally considered fairly strong.

See, I personally consider 'crap' being the mildest swearword, yet personally I actually consider 'shit' fairly moderate to strong. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion and upbringing.

Also, bear in mind even in South Park, they censored the word 'shit' (although for one episode they didn't and used that as the running gag), so it must be generally considered fairly strong.

I suppose it varies culturally. In the UK, crap is a fairly tame word, but American TV indicates that it's seen as much stronger over there. But yeah, didn't like the use of 'shit' in the magazine. It's Sonic for goodness sake.

I know someone mention that they are going to scan the whole thing but, spoiler me with some Eggman scans.

Not too sure if I want to go ahead and buy this just yet. Does it really have little mention over some characters and continuities? The free stuff sounds awesome though. :)

Well, to be honest, there isn't that much on the characters, no (and there's almost NOTHING on alternate continuities). They do have about six pages talking in brief about some of the characters (good and bad), some pages on the badniks and a double spread focus on Tails, Knuckles and Eggman (Eggman gets TWO double spreads). However, it's easy to understand this if you look at it another way; this isn't looking at Sonic from a character perspective, this is a celebration of Sonic as a twenty year old mascot and gaming icon.

Nice to see in the TAILS mini bio something I never knew. That he beat RAY and narrowly beat another character named BOOMER THE TURTLE apparentley a rocket powered TURTLE to boot. wonder what he ever looked like? & SPEEDY THE PORCUPINE haha nice, been cool to see what he'd looked like to :).Be awesome if SEGA/SONIC TEAM ever release a concept sketchbook to the web for us to see :).

I just totally bought this on impulse.

Ditto.

I assume the magazine comes with all the goodies, and that it isn't just a newsstand thing. But I sent an email to the site asking about it anyway, just to be safe.