Awoo.

Your favorite Senoue/Ohtani Sonic OST ?

pppp

I'm pretty sure that Ohtani was just a composer in Colours, while Kenichi Tokoi produced it... Still, it's my favourite out of the three you've listed, with Unleashed coming in second... Don't like 06's that much, found it quite bland.

As for Senoue, SA1 by far. That soundtrack is simply beautiful. Emerald Coast brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it. Puts me in such a good place. <3

So the Sound Director of Colors is Kenichi Tokoi? Since Ohtani repeated what he did in Unleashed(Composing the Main Vocal Theme,the Main Orchestral Theme and an Orchestral version of the Main Vocal Theme) i always thought he was the director.

Edited by pppp

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pppp

• JezMM

• Tobbii

• ChikaBoing

Its funny, because barring Sonic 4, neither Jun Senoue or Tomoya Ohtani have worked alone on an entire soundtrack.

They usually work in groups with several musicians. In fact, Jun has helped when Tomoya was director, and Tomoya has helped when Jun was director.

Anyway, when Jun was director, it has to be a tie between SA1 and Sonic Heroes. SA1 had a really varied soundtrack; it had some awesome rock tunes and even its fair share of orchestral music (Lost World springs to mind) andlots of generally funky tunes. Heroes had really upbeat and retro-esque music. Hard rock, jazzy tunes, and even the odd techno tune slipping through. Really enjoyed it.

With Ohtani, its a tie between S06 and Unleashed. S06 had a really grand and epic score; a lot of orchestral themes, and by God the music in the cutscenes was basically good enough to put into high-budget movies. I know a fair few think that the orchestra isn't suited for Sonic, but I say, any music suits Sonic as lot has its GOOD, and suits the stage, environment or cutscene. Unleashed had a really varied sountrack. Built off of 06 and made it a bit more funky. However, the fake orchestral music sounded really fake, especially the final boss mix.

That being said, I think that both Sound Directors are awesome. They both know how to design the music that fits the tone of the game and the tone of stage itself.

Also, Aquatic Base Level 1 is soooo good. It has this really lonely, isolated, echo-y sound going on. Love it.

OK,just checked and apparently Colors doesn't have "Sound Director" in the Credits.Tokoi is the Sound Producer(Which i guess is basically the same thing) but since Ohtani did more tracks then the rest and he did the "The Main Vocal Theme,the Main Orchestral Theme and the Orchestral version of the Main Vocal Theme" thing like in Unleashed, I will still consider this an Ohtani OST :P

What? i thought i was the only one who liked Sonic R's Soundtrack.

Yes,i...i kinda like Sonic R's OST :P

So do I, love those cheesy lyrics.

LIVIN' IN THE CITY, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO SURVIIIIVE YOU GOT TO KEEP THAT DREAM ALIVE~

Also, how does matching the scenery make a soundtrack boring? :blink: Explain YOURSELF, good sir B)

Because basicilly outside of Crysis City and Kingdom Valley I find every enviomrent to be kinda meh. Wave Oceans is just a poor-man/blander Emerald Coast to me. And even then the Soundtracks for CC or KV are pretty anti-climatic.

or Adventure games

In terms of Adventure 2 I woudn't say it was a definite soundtrack. It was unique for the first time having vocals, and music based on the story and what the character feels like, rather than the enviorment- but it's not a definitive soundtrack for a Sonic game IMO.

You picked my two main disliked (or at least tired of, in the case of Ohtani) composers in the series, so none of their soundtracks really appeal to me (and if they do, then it's for reasons that don't involve their direct work, such as other composers). Senoue's debut game, 3D Blast, had some good tunes but I didn't care for the soundfont compared to the trilogy. I have a soft spot for some of his SA1 music (and even then, I prefer Tokoi), but I really hated or didn't care for most of everything he did after that game.

As for Ohtani, he stood out to me at first, but I got pretty tired of him eventually. The music he did for Colors wasn't bad, but nothing else before that is really any memorable, save for SRA.

You picked my two main disliked (or at least tired of, in the case of Ohtani) composers in the series, so none of their soundtracks really appeal to me (and if they do, then it's for reasons that don't involve their direct work, such as other composers). Senoue's debut game, 3D Blast, had some good tunes but I didn't care for the soundfont compared to the trilogy. I have a soft spot for some of his SA1 music (and even then, I prefer Tokoi), but I really hated or didn't care for most of everything he did after that game.

As for Ohtani, he stood out to me at first, but I got pretty tired of him eventually. The music he did for Colors wasn't bad, but nothing else before that is really any memorable, save for SRA.

That's the thing. These two almost never work on an entire Soundtrack alone. They usually work with a number of other artists as well.

That's the thing. These two almost never work on an entire Soundtrack alone. They usually work with a number of other artists as well.

I'm aware of this.

Everytime a Sonic soundtrack is released, Senoue and Ohtani's songs are usually at the bottom of my preferences.

For Senoue I'm going to hop on the Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 bandwagon. I still jam at Red Hot Skull and Throw It All Away will always be Shadow's theme for me. I think this era had the best vocal songs to be honest.

...but then again Sonic R had ridiculously bad and catchy vocal themes too.... :mellow:

For Ohtani I'm going with Unleashed. Almost every level theme is catchy and works with the levels. Daytime stages have theme songs that bring out the rush of going at breakneck speeds. You can't listen to Rooftop Run and not get excited to start speeding. The Night stages are smooth and cool... and Jungle Joyride Night is one of the best and prettiest pieces of music I've ever heard in Sonic.

^ That one was Kenichi Tokoi, and one of his best. He also did a LOT of the best vocal tracks in Secret Rings, namely Let The Speed Mend It, The Palace That Was Found and Unawakening Float.

^ That one was Kenichi Tokoi, and one of his best. He also did a LOT of the best vocal tracks in Secret Rings, namely Let The Speed Mend It, The Palace That Was Found and Unawakening Float.

Man. You're so right. *checks song information* Yup. Absolutely accurate.

But I can't believe he did those tracks you mentioned. I remember the soundtrack to Secret Rings being positively dreadful. It's such a contrast. :mellow:

I know right. The main music guys and gals have SUCH an amazing range. It kinda bugs me when people are like BRING BACK JUN BRING BACK JUN. His style is great too but I don't want a whole game of it. The individual musicians who do most Sonic game music are way too unappreciated, and they've all been here since the Dreamcast games.

Edited by JezMM

I know right. The main music guys and gals have SUCH an amazing range. It kinda bugs me when people are like BRING BACK JUN BRING BACK JUN. His style is great too but I don't want a whole game of it. The individual musicians who do most Sonic game music are way too unappreciated, and they've all been here since the Dreamcast games.

My Problem with Jun is that he is hardly innovative anymore. Other musicians always do very different type of Music for each enviorment.

Edited by ChikaBoing

For Senoue.. I think I'll go for Sonic 3D. I always loved that music. Though Adventure was fantastic, too. Hard choice....

Ohtani... Hard to say... I loved both Unleashed and Colors' music. Unleashed had Rooftop Run day music, which is one of my favorite Sonic tracks.. But, I think I'll go for Colors. It had overall more songs I liked. The only music I didn't really like in that game was alot of the cutscene music. Levels and map screens were all great.

Edited by MarcelloF

My Problem with Jun is that he is hardly innovative anymore. Other musicians always do very different type of Music for each enviorment.

Aside from S4, I haven't really heard Senoue do much recently. S4 suffered from "trying to be retro" syndrome and sounded really half-assed (probably because he was more concerned with Generations, and rightfully so). He did a handful of tracks in Black Knight, the rest were done by a myriad of other composers.

Like JezMM said, its not that he can't do a variety of musical styles. People have a certain expectation of the type of music Senoue would do. I suppose he sticks to doing that, and lets other composers take care of the rest.

Edited by Scar

For Senoue, I think I would go with Sonic Adventure, like most everyone else here. xP

For Ohtani, I'd say Colors. It was a lot like Unleashed, but it wasn't limited to cultural themes.

To me, Jun Senoue's best soundtrack was easily Sonic Adventure- I adore the retro feel it has to it :)

Tomoya Ohtani.. I think I'll go with SONIC '06, while it's quite a rubbish game, it has the most amazing soundtrack!

Jun Senoue is definitely one of my favorite Sonic composers, but the problem with picking a favorite soundtrack by him, as others have pointed out, is he rarely works alone. The Adventure games though, are probably my favorite two. They both have a wide range of styles, and I liked how in Adventure different areas of the level would have different music, and how in SA2 different characters had (for the most part) a distinct style to their levels' music. But those games weren't composed by him alone, and I would definitely list Fumie Kumatani and Kenichi Tokoi up there as favorite composers. But I think one of the reasons why the Adventures have my favorite soundtracks is because they were made by those three together.

But I'll agree with those that have said that Jun kind of gets pigeon-holed into a specific style that people expect, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good musician. And as far as Sonic 4 is concerned, I think like a lot of the other problems with that game it was more that they were so focused on making a "retro" Sonic game.

I can't really think of an Ohtani soundtrack that I would choose as my favorite, so I guess I'll just go with Colors, it being the most recent. Aquarium Park is definitely one of my favorite Sonic tracks of recent games... that and the DRILL music.

My favorite Jun Senoue songs are Azure Blue World and Windy and Ripply from Sonic Adventure. IMO, they are one of the most memorable songs I ever listen to. :)

For Senoue I would probably say Sonic Heroes, that game's soundtrack was greatness. For Ohtani I would say Sonic Colors, since there's so many memorable tracks in that, but I can't help but give shoutouts to a few specifics by him

First there's Crisis City

This song was absolute brilliance, although I personally prefer the sections "The Flame" and the end of "The Whirlwind" (Specifically from 4:33 - 4:58)

Next, Pirates Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmluxuxucU

Again, an amazing song, but Act 2 is where it really shines

Finally, my favorite would be Planet Wisp... enough said. Sadly there's a 2-Youtube-Video-Limit, so I can't add a link. :(