Awoo.

Super Sonic?Hyper Sonic.

NytroFactor

As everyone has said, I doubt we're going to get a playable Hyper Sonic.

That said what I might expect is that both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic will be able to collect individual Chaos Emeralds and perhaps be able to turn Super in their normal stages. Although since we'll inevitably be looking forward to the whole TRUE ENDING against this new antagonist, I'd like to think they can get away with using Hyper Sonic if only to make the final boss a recreation of Doomsday Zone.

As everyone has said, I doubt we're going to get a playable Hyper Sonic.

That said what I might expect is that both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic will be able to collect individual Chaos Emeralds and perhaps be able to turn Super in their normal stages. Although since we'll inevitably be looking forward to the whole TRUE ENDING against this new antagonist, I'd like to think they can get away with using Hyper Sonic if only to make the final boss a recreation of Doomsday Zone.

...which can be accessed as regular Super Sonic in S3&K if you don't touch any more giant rings after unlocking him, defeating the point of Hyper Sonic completely.

I'm aware of that.

I was just mentioning one of the very few hypothetical situations in where Hyper Sonic COULD be used, if only to throw a bone to the people who would want to see his return since it is a throwback to all things Sonic.

Hyper Sonic's the only Sonic form with enough maneouverability to enter Knuckles' sections of the level maps, and even then he can't enter all of them.

I'm mentioning this because people are claiming Hyper Sonic has no upgrades over Super when he does: his super jump ability nukes all enemies on screen and gives him a massive height boost that he can't get in any other form, and this double jump has multiple practical uses in-game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm mentioning this because people are claiming Hyper Sonic has no upgrades over Super when he does: his super jump ability nukes all enemies on screen and gives him a massive height boost that he can't get in any other form, and this double jump has multiple practical uses in-game.

Noooo, people are claiming there are no upgrades that Hyper Sonic has that can't just be added to Super Sonic.

Noooo, people are claiming there are no upgrades that Hyper Sonic has that can't just be added to Super Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Adding Hyper Sonic's upgrades to Super Sonic makes him even more bullslagginly broken than he already is. Just look at Sonic 4 where Super Sonic where Super Sonic has Hyper Sonic's inability to drown. Now you wanna add a 8 way jump dash that kills everything on screen too? If you're going to do all of that to Super Sonic, you might as well be using Hyper Sonic to justify him being that big of a game breaker.

Adding Hyper Sonic's upgrades to Super Sonic makes him even more bullslagginly broken than he already is. Just look at Sonic 4 where Super Sonic where Super Sonic has Hyper Sonic's inability to drown. Now you wanna add a 8 way jump dash that kills everything on screen too? If you're going to do all of that to Super Sonic, you might as well be using Hyper Sonic to justify him being that big of a game breaker.

Or you can get creative and add actual differences between the two forms. There are enough variants on Super Sonic's (and other super characters) powers that you can give him and Hyper Sonic completely different attributes.

The point to it all would be hardcore nostalgiafagging, which is the point of this entire game. Go big or go home.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 1

No harm meant, but I'm surprised anyone's even considering the broken nature of either form in this discussion. I thought the whole point of these reward-based unlockable forms was to simply rush around existing levels, completely obliterating the intent of the level design and destroying stuff. It wasn't too long ago where nearly any argument against the inclusion of Super Sonic would be met with some form of, "Well, duh! He's supposed to be broken!" Thus, what would it even matter if Super Sonic were given Hyper's unique abilities? I'm mostly asking because I don't seen any tangible harm in the idea.

No harm meant, but I'm surprised anyone's even considering the broken nature of either form in this discussion. I thought the whole point of these reward-based unlockable forms was to simply rush around existing levels, completely obliterating the intent of the level design and destroying stuff. It wasn't too long ago where nearly any argument against the inclusion of Super Sonic would be met with some form of, "Well, duh! He's supposed to be broken!" Thus, what would it even matter if Super Sonic were given Hyper's unique abilities? I'm mostly asking because I don't seen any tangible harm in the idea.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I understand the entire fan service angle, but I thought this particular tangent was being argued in a context about conserving the balance of gameplay, hence why I asked. =P

Since 1997 I've always played as Super Sonic over Sonic whenever I've had the choice, to the extent that Sonic feels pathetically slow when I play as him, and Super Sonic feels like playing the real game.

It's only after entering the Interwebs that I've realised I'm in the minority here.

Yes.

Super Sonic is supposed to be broken.

Hyper Sonic would just be even more broken.

Why not?

OK I understand if you're going about it the Sonic 3 and Knuckles way, because that means you can get SS and HS prior to completing the game and thus rendering all the challenge beyond said point, completely fruitless. However, if you go about it the Colours' method, then that won't be a problem, because you need to have completed all of the stages to be able to play as Super Sonic at all.

Its quite simple:

Collect Red Rings to Unlock Special stages. Collect all 180 of them (make them challenging to get) to unlock all of the Special Stages. Collecting all the Red Rings to even be able to play all the special stages, means that you won't be able to even get Super Sonic till you've beaten the whole game. Add an option to Turn Super Sonic on or off and there you have it.

If there is the chance of getting Hyper Sonic, then you do more or less the same thing, but attribute the Unlocking of Super Emerald Special Stages, to S-ranks.

Basically, after unlocking Super Sonic, you unlock a Super Emerald stage for every x number of S-ranks you have. To be able to unlock all the Super Emerald Stages, you have to get an S-rank on every single level and mission in the game.

Is that enough protection for you?

I mean if you've done all of that, then you deserve something that breaks the game, no matter how broken it is. Exclude Super/Hyper Sonic from Time Trial runs and Leadboards.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really don't care about protecting the game from being broken by Hyper forms. But why don't you just give all the brokenness of Hyper Sonic, to Super Sonic? Why create a second "more broken" form instead of just having the one broken form?

Why do we need Hyper Sonic?

For fan service i guess. He should at least make a appearance somehow if not gameplay wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean if you've done all of that, then you deserve something that breaks the game, no matter how broken it is. Exclude Super/Hyper Sonic from Time Trial runs and Leadboards.

While you deserve a tangible reward for essentially getting everything there is to gather within a game, a game-breaker, or even an alternate character, seems incredibly underwhelming and archaic now. What that reward ultimately tells me is that for spending X amount of hours on your game doing everything there is to do is in it, I get to play the same damn thing all over again but without the challenge that helped make the stages interesting enough to even bother going for gold in the first place. A credits scene where the entire cast of the game walks across the screen while all of the levels' background art passes them ala Super Mario World or DKC is just about as substantial. It's such a light reward that it feels like lettuce at the end of fasting period-- absolutely nothing to sink my teeth into. Mist. Air. I'm just sent back to the start of the game and told that I now get a free ride when I never wanted one in the first place, and it's almost condescending in a way. I simply need more than that-- Like a new level, or heck, a new world. Something.

Put in Super or ExcaliburHyper if you must. I personally would consider them the reward for merely beating the Final Boss. But if either are absolutely the ultimate reward, (which they probably are considering Special Stages are back), I'm just not bothering.

EDIT: I need to learn to quote properly do it doesn't look like I'm ranting and raving to nobody. xD

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

That is the exact reason why Hyper Sonic should stay the fuck away. One extra ability does not justify his existence. If anything, hey, that just proves how useless he is as a transformation.

Besides, REGULAR Sonic can do a jump dash now, which kills anything it hits. That's literally one step away from Hyper. His power isn't anything more than a upgrade of the Homing Attack now, which because holy shit he's invincible, is super useless. Right up in Magic Hands territory of useless. Then there's the going super fast and invincible thing, which Sonic can ALSO do.

Hell, the only reason for SUPER SONIC in Modern's gameplay at this point is to give infinite boost. That... that's really it. Why bother with something that would add literally nothing at all?

Classic Sonic has more uses for Super Sonic, but Super Sonic's abilities all make Hyper useless and a very bullshit upgrade in the first place.

And if he's going to be in Doomsday Zone as a ton of people seem to want, then he's not going to have any of these abilities anyways! He'd be a literal reskin of Super Sonic. That's it.

Sega would have to pay someone to take five seconds and make a flashy skin.

That is a waste of money and time.

• Thumbs Up 2

That is a waste of money and time.

I dunno man. Making Sonic flash as if he just tasted the double rainbow instead of giving him golden yellow coating for a final boss doesn't sound like a big fucking deal to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh and just in case I wasn't clear: Hyper Sonic would be as useful and appreciated in Generations as dog shit on a shoe. I'd be surprised if SEGA bothered and I think everyone would be disappointed with the inevitable end result if they did anyway.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno man. Making Sonic flash as if he just tasted the double rainbow instead of giving him golden yellow coating for a final boss doesn't sound like a big fucking deal to me.

Well that either involves making SEVERAL skins in different colors and having them loop or somehow making one skin that loops like a GIF image.

Either way it's far more work than just painting him gold.

And thus, a far bigger waste of time.

I don't think you're understanding that. Doing ANYTHING with Hyper Sonic, would be a waste of time. Big ol' waste. Time that could be spent doing something that wouldn't be a waste. Which is anything else.

Or you can just slap some hue changing filters which is ridiculously easy.

I can't say I'm too miffed about Hyper Sonic in general to care whether or not he's included, nor was I ever aware that there's a seething animosity towards him and not wanting him to ever, ever be in simply due to the concept of him being overpowered or unnecessary. Color me more surprised than supporting the separate side. Having gotten used to so many ass pulls in Sonic games by this point I'm expecting something of the like just to try to please every single fraction of contrasting opinions on Sonic, even if it'd be placed to the side as a form of bonus and supplemental area of extras and dev vaults in the style of Sonic Gems Collection.

Consider me indifferent everywhere else though.

Edited by Carbo

Is it really that hard to make Hyper Sonic a playable character???

I mean, he's just Sonic with the label of freakin' Hyper stamped on it, geebus...

If people feel insulted about the game being broken with the possibility of a playable Hyper Sonic, SEGA can just do as posters such as Nepenthe recommended here (and some of my personal recommendations):

1. Make Hyper Sonic an unbelievably difficult unlockable. Worse than SA2's Green Hill Zone Remake.

2. When playing in one of the stages, had Sonic been transformed into Hyper Sonic, cancel record time and points from being published into the Leadeboards. When Super Sonic, deduct like 15000 points or so.

3. Just make "Hyper" Sonic be used for some Secret Boss Battle that has nothing to do with Storyline; sorta like Sephiroth was in Kingdom Hearts I. Heck, if you want the Battle to be even more difficult, nerf Hyper Sonic.

Edited by Tatsumaki