Awoo.

Aliens: Court Marines - "I say we take Sega's money and Nuke the entire IP from orbit..."

Badnik Mechanic

newt530.jpg

Newt gets her day 1 copy of the game...

Can you believe that it was over 3 years ago that Sega announced it planned to finish and release Aliens: Colonial Marines? That FPS game which got cancelled back in 2001? So technically... it's been in development/on hold, for over 10 years?

Can you also believe that it was back in 2009 that they decided to http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/448-avp-dumping-ground-thread'>swap development to Aliens Vs Predator(which turned out to be completely rubbish?).

That game came out over a year ago. Since then we've not heard a peep from Colonial Marines.

Well... last week there was a small hint on the Sega Blogs that there would be some news.

Today this appeared in joystiqs mailbox and several other mailboxes for companies (this is their actual mailbox, not email mailbox.)

casey-1.jpg

Don't recognise the significance?

casey-2.jpg

Still nothing? Well... Rebecca Jorden happens to be the real name of Newt. From the movie Aliens. She has a doll (named Casey) that she carries throughout the whole movie until she's captured by an Alien and Ripley sees the severed head of the doll slowly sinking into the sewer.

Kotaku also got the same package in the mail too... only they have something else interesting. http://kotaku.com/5805946/which-e3-game-involves-this-plastic-doll-head'>They have an invite to see the game at E3.

Maybe this game will finally come out after all?

Hopefully more news of this comes out soon. We don't need the successor to Duke Nukem Forever right when that game just went gold. It would be completely ironic though given Gearbox is in charge of both games.

Well we've now got a teaser trailer that shows us! Nothing... just the rough place in time that the story takes place.

We also get the official announcement from Sega which gives us a rough release date of Spring 2012 and confirmation that the game will be at E3 in some playable form.

Also confirmed are the following formats PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Extra spicy sauce.

Just saying, I liked Alien Vs. Predator, it's online also had potential!

Thought this might be of interest to you Aliens fans:

Sega sends CVG Aliens Pulse Rifle

Postie strategically turns up after Colonial Marines announcement...

screenshot_255257.jpg

CVG's postman turned up within an hour of Sega's big Aliens Colonial Marines "re-announcement" this afternoon to deliver us something special... an actual Pulse Rifle.

Well, when we say "actual" what we really mean is "mental Nerf gun". As you can see from our snaps below, the Pulse Rifle replica is incredibly detailed, with detachable ammo clip (which can be loaded with Nerfs), laser sight and pump-action grenade launcher (no grenades included)

In case you missed it, Sega re-announced Gearbox's Colonial Marines this afternoon, with a new look confirmed for next week's E3 showing in Los Angeles.

Colonial Marines is set to feature "authentic environments" from the famous sci-fi movie series, including the surface of LV-426 and Hadley's Hope, Sega says in the new announcement.

Weapons inspired by the film series are also promised, and Sega says it will provide "an exhilarating and engaging new chapter in the Aliens universe".

"Gearbox Software are doing a brilliant job translating the thrill and horror that Aliens stands for into an action-packed shooter experience with co-operative gameplay at its core," Sega said of the announcement.

Why can't Sega send me Pulse Rifles or giant Sonic Colours banners or other big expensive things... I'll review their games for them!

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else get tingles when they hear the bleep of the motion tracker?

Just me?

I'll get my coat...

Does anyone else get tingles when they hear the bleep of the motion tracker?

Just me?

I'll get my coat...

I do too, especially when I got Alien Trilogy on my Sega Saturn D: and when you play it alone in the dark, it may be dated, but it can still provide a scare that way >.<

• 2 months later...

Gameplay trailer time.

It looks a hell of a lot better than Aliens Vs Predator did. But this is just purely the looks.

• 1 month later...

11 Minutes of gameplay with some commentary from a developer.

It looks pretty cool for a work in process, 4 player drop in/drop out co-op can be done. It's very action heavy this one, so don't expect scares.

The voice acting/dialogue is a little... pants.. but only a little.

• Thumbs Up 1

That video was looking very good, up until when the aliens showed up.

What. The. Fuck?

Why are they so casual about the whole ripping-people-to-shit thing that makes them so scary? They just seemed to meander about, and only attack when it doesn't appear to be too much trouble.

• 3 months later...

Collectors Edition spotted.

screenshot_275251_thumb_wide940.jpg

You get a bunch of unlockable weapons for the multiplayer, as well as some extra game mode. There also appears to be some kind of post cards which display information about various stages... however, the main attraction seems to be that rather nice statue of the alien attacking the marine in the loading walker machine.

It certainly looks lovely, but if it goes anything like Aliens Vs Predator, I might leave it since you can still find those collectors editions today for barely a quarter of their original cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Aliens: Colonial Marines delayed until Autumn

http://www.eurogamer...ed-until-autumn

At this rate it'll get a simultaneous launch with the Wii U version tongue.png

That's great news for Nintendo, actually. Getting this on Wii U months after it has released on other platforms would lead to slow(er) sales, but a more closely timed launch could well see it being a pretty huge hit for them.

• 2 weeks later...

ACMarinesboxart.jpg

Dat box art, it makes me so wet.

Your image will not display right now, can't think why... Do you mean this box art?

aliens_col_box.jpgaliens.jpg

It's fucking horrible. It needs to be black for a start, and not have a bunch of characters on it. Simplicity is the best and that's anything but simple. Here are examples of Alien movie box arts which are so much better than that atrocity:

alien-movie-poster.jpgDE_aliens_Large.jpg

-Alien-3.jpgalien-resurrection-sigourney-weaver-dvd-cover-art.jpg

They're simple.There are lots of blacks and greens, for the most part, but even the Aliens one doesn't have a shitty character roster planted on the Xenomorph's head. They need to get rid of the characters, turn the white black, change the light the Xenomorph is bathed in to green and then we've got something in keeping with the series so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Your image will not display right now, can't think why... Do you mean this box art?

It's fucking horrible. It needs to be black for a start, and not have a bunch of characters on it. Simplicity is the best and that's anything but simple. Here are examples of Alien movie box arts which are so much better than that atrocity:

They're simple.There are lots of blacks and greens, for the most part, but even the Aliens one doesn't have a shitty character roster planted on the Xenomorph's head. They need to get rid of the characters, turn the white black, change the light the Xenomorph is bathed in to green and then we've got something in keeping with the series so far.

Sure, it's not as good as the movie boxarts and they maybe should have gone with the consistent blacks and greens, but that's not to say this box art doesn't have its highlights. It gives me the feeling that the Aliens are in complete control of the Marines and it's still got that nice, simplistic look to it. I don't know, I really like it though.

• 1 month later...

Picked up the new issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK. Here's their world exclusive feature on Aliens: Colonial Marines:

J0DTY.jpg

RXpDw.jpg

B2G0g.jpg

XktcW.jpg

00DVB.jpg

wMVmY.jpg

DxJ3S.jpg

0btd6.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scans, it's Official PlayStation Magazine UK Issue 70 May 2012.

Also picked up the new issue of Official Xbox Magazine UK, which has a teaser for a hands-on preview in their next issue:

aPosA.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scan, it's Official Xbox Magazine UK Issue 85 May 2012.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going by those videos, this game has gone from being a return to Aliens vs. Predator 2 levels of awesome, to being yet another generic shoot 'em up. Iron sights on the Pulse Rifle? Fuck off. How many bullets does it take to down an Alien anymore anyway? And what's up with the MASSIVE Pulse Rifle model? Seriously, it's like the guy has it rammed up against his cheek.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK. Here's their preview of Aliens: Colonial Marines:

kHFaM.jpg

miTpB.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scans, it's Official PlayStation Magazine UK Issue 071 June 2012.

Also picked up the new issue of Official Xbox Magazine UK. Here's their preview of Aliens: Colonial Marines:

YBFqK.jpg

9NNvz.jpg

SDI7q.jpg

kQmTx.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scans, it's Official Xbox Magazine UK Issue 86 June 2012.

What is it with games and getting delayed to 2013 lately?

This better not have anything to do with trying to prop up the Wii-U... seriously it can fuck right off if thats the reason.

It just seems too much of a co-incidence that so many games which were confirmed/rumoured to have a wii-u port have suddenly been delayed to the same period for virtually no reason given.