Awoo.

Aliens: Court Marines - "I say we take Sega's money and Nuke the entire IP from orbit..."

Badnik Mechanic

Any improvements if at all would be due to the last patch. I'm more curious about the mention of

• Tweaked enemy and friendly AI to be more aggressive and responsive.
  • Modified campaign difficulty to account for improved AI responsiveness

Is the AI actually any better now after the patch?

Not necessarily, I mean the DLC may have been developed during the games development time, but it also had from release until now to get tweaks, so even without patches it might stand out a little better than the entirety of the campaign...just a little.

As for your question, I could check later, since I still have the game. 

EDIT: Played the first level, never noticed much difference, lighting definitely looks better, though questionable as I have my brightness turned down. Some instances of dynamic lighting, not as impressive in the fabled "demo" though. AI partner, though still can't die, was knocked down easily and I was playing on Soldier mode (Medium)

Edited by Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Kotaku: "Sega have cancelled the Wii-U version"

And a German website is also saying the same thing. Heres the dodgy translation.

An official statement by Sega is still pending, but after the last few days the release of Aliens Colonial Marines has been questioned on Wii U, it seems the plug was finally pulled .

As we were told from retailer-sources, they are currently being informed that the Wii U version will no longer be released. Whether this applies only in this country or in Europe, or also affects the U.S. release, is also currently unclear - on the U.S. Amazon site, Colonial Marines for Wii U is nowhere to be found.

So who wants to make the 'game over man' joke?

No great loss, but yet another game not coming out on the Wii U...

Anyway, I think that Sega should've stuck with it, giving the developers a couple more years to make the game everything it should've been, maybe tweaking the story etc and re-titling it in the process.

^ to tell the truth, I think that would've just been more money wasted.

I love how one of the comments said "The Wii U is finished" laugh.png

The Wii U is lucky. Canceling the Wii U version is probably for the best considering how terrible the other versions of the game actually is. I think it's a smart move.

Edited by sonfan1984

^ to tell the truth, I think that would've just been more money wasted.

If the end result was a game worth playing, I don't think so. We'll never know now, though.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat, the Wii U has barely any games to begin with, it's just burying the hatchet even more until Nintendo bails itself out with it's own IP's as usual.

lol well it's not going to kill the Wii-U. But it's bad news for everybody involved.

The Wii-U has barely any games. It certainly doesn't have many FPS, even a terrible one would have sold a good chunk of copies. It's not going to do much good for either Sega who have spend a ton of money on it or Nintendo for actually having an library of games. Don't forget, they originally showed Colonial Marines as a reason to buy a launch Wii-U.

I'm just really suprised that they've outrightly cancelled it and not even gone for the digital download release.

The Wii U has a rotten launch, but it has full backwards compatiblity INCLUDING digital purchases, and it doesn't require you to be always online.

It's got a great potential customer base with a potentially alienated Sony and Microsoft crowd.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good, glad it's been cancelled. The less said about this underwhelming game the better. It's true that the Wii U is now missing out on yet another FPS, but this is one game that definitely doesn't need to be on the Wii U.

Ya honestl, this is proably for the best. However, what I dont get is why people are complaining so much about a lack of games. I mean, just because the new system is out doesnt mean that the wii games have disappeared. The advantage that the wiiu currently has is that it can play every last wii game, and that doesnt look like that is going to change, and if what I hear is right it will let you do your old didgital titles too? I mean, come on, that means it already has more than twice the titles the PS4 will be able to play a year after release, and we arent even adding in the 50-100 or so additional main titles are coming, the wii-u is far from doomed

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but lack of games is not an excuse to release one of the shittiest titles.

Thank you SEGA for not ruining your image even more. Would have been a PR nightmare to release the worst version (going off beta testers - Wii U version had stupid gimmicks through out the levels) of the worst game of the 2013 year.

Ya honestl, this is proably for the best. However, what I dont get is why people are complaining so much about a lack of games.

Because it is impacting the sales of the Wii-U.

I can't speak for others but this was my experience. The other week HMV announced that they were selling premium Wii-U's for only £200. That is one hell of a bargain, some SSMB users actually went out and got one. This week they've been selling the basic for only £175. Which again is one epic saving...

So why didn't I buy one?

I was tempted, so very tempted. I figured I could get a Wii, enjoy the nintendo games, Bayonetta 2 and play games on it I didn't particually care about getting 100% on. So there I am in HMV, the £200 Wii-U premium is in front of me it comes with NintendoLand and nothing else... so I say to myself "you buy this... what other games are there"

HMV had a total of 4 games... 2 of which I already owned on other systems.

So I left the store and decided to think about it. Literally accross the road is Grainger Games, a dedicated videogame store. Their selection of Wii-U games was also small. Game same thing.

It suddenly dawned on me, I would be paying £200 for a console that I wouldn't actually be playing right away, I'd be waiting months before the games I wanted came out. Bayonetta 2's release date is 'Some point in 2014' and other than maybe 'the next mario' I can't begin to think of other games for it that I have an interest in. Even looking at the number of titles for it in game, it couldn't justify a £200 price tag. As much as I wanted it too it couldn't do it. So I decided not to.

As for the 'It can play Wii games' I already own a Wii! Why would I spend £200 to own a second one? Backwards compatability is a grosely over-hyped feature, it's just oxymoronic to buy a next gen console and then only play past gen games on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you're saying you'd buy it if Colonial Marines was on it? Sorry, it makes no difference if you don't care about New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombie U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and LEGO City. No one would buy a Wii U for Colonial Marines, it's a shit game and its cancellation does not affect the Wii U in any way.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

So you're saying you'd buy it if Colonial Marines was on it? Sorry, it makes no difference if you don't care about New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombie U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and LEGO City. No one would buy a Wii U for Colonial Marines, it's a shit game and its cancellation does not affect the Wii U in any way.

No I'm saying that if it had more games it might have made a difference and that cancelling this isn't going to change perceptions when you go out and look at the game selection in a store and notice how small it actually is. Take the HMV example. They were selling it at... what was it? £150 less the RRP and they had 4 games to pick, 2 of which are console exclusive.

The problem here is perception. You go into a shop look at the Wii-U selection of games and theres more or less nothing there. All these games being cancelled is not going to help that regardless of the quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to think an actual gamer cares about quality over quantity. It's a launch console, it's not going to have as many games as PS3 or 360. Expecting it to is just asinine.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, the console was only released at the end of last year, but I see your point, and it is disappointing to see a lack of belief on the part of many third party companies reflected in this relative dearth of big games coming out in the first half of this year. Still, E3 will hopefully reveal a stock of high profile multi-plat blockbusters heading Wii U's way.

I doubt Colonial Marines' cancellation has to do with lack of belief. It has to do with it being a shit game that they couldn't pawn off on unsuspecting customers because, it missed the initial launch.

CM's cancellation wasn't due to a lack of belief, it was because neither Gearbox nor Sega wanted that particular scandal to resurface following EA's well timed scandal thunder steal. Others, however, may have been.

I honestly think a lot of 3rd parties would make up any excuse not to develop for a Nintendo console. I'm not entirely sure why, but that's just how it is. I think, at this point, it's more about a lot of them not knowing their way around it and not wanting to take the time to do so. So I really wonder how next generation is going to go if Durango ends up weaker than PS4 like it's rumored.