Awoo.

Aliens: Court Marines - "I say we take Sega's money and Nuke the entire IP from orbit..."

Badnik Mechanic

SEGA: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit is 'Without Merit'

tumblr_m56sn4BMkg1qztwte.gif

Proof is everywhere.

Hey good news!

Game are selling the limited edition for only £10... if you buy ANYTHING else in store... yes this includes those £1 things they sometimes have in the bargain bins =p

So... would you take Game up on this fantastic offer... Because nobody in my local was!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey good news!

Game are selling the limited edition for only £10... if you buy ANYTHING else in store... yes this includes those £1 things they sometimes have in the bargain bins =p

So... would you take Game up on this fantastic offer... Because nobody in my local was!

yeah so no thanks

Not that I'd ever say they deserved to lose their jobs, but they obviously weren't cut out for the games industry so it's probably for the best, eh?

Hey good news!

Thats a fantastic deal if thats the one that includes the statue.

Thats a fantastic deal if thats the one that includes the statue.

I was hoping it might be, but it's just the GAME Ltd. Edition unfortunately. Comes with some DLC, pretty standard stuff.

And I thought the "licensed games sell bucketloads" bubble had burst.

I thought it was practically an immutable law of Humanity that the general public eats shitty shit up and will never, ever, ever stop.

The majority of film tie-ins of the last few years haven't really sold that well, to the extent that Marvel didn't even bother with a game for Avengers Assemble. In the PS2 era that shit would have sold like hotcakes.

After all the controversy...

After all the terrible reviews...

After everything  else in this whole, sorry saga...

It still sold over a million copies, just 50,000 less than S: ASRT.

It seems very wrong that TimeGate have gone bankrupt (for mostly unrelated reasons, though), while Gearbox can essentially chalk this up as a victory. What makes it worse that they're actually capable of producing good games, but decided to crap this out instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems very wrong that TimeGate have gone bankrupt (for mostly unrelated reasons, though), while Gearbox can essentially chalk this up as a victory. What makes it worse that they're actually capable of producing good games, but decided to crap this out instead.

I agree, a lot of people give TimeGate a lot of hate for this game when really all they did was do what Gearbox asked them to do. Granted, their titles prior to this weren't anything to write home about. I still don't believe they deserved to go out of business. It makes me sad to see people lose their jobs like that and it isn't like bad studios can't turn themselves around either. Really I think the real blame mostly goes to Gearbox for blatantly lying and failing to deliver the product they promised, and SEGA for not keeping a better eye on them and delaying for as long as they had. They probably should have just cancelled the game and sued Gearbox for not having the title finished on time.  Then again I have limited knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes in the gaming industry.

a lot of people give TimeGate a lot of hate for this game when really all they did was do what Gearbox asked them to do.

I don't think Gearbox asked TimeGate to make a bad game...

I blame all parties.

Thing is, what exactly happened which means Timegate had to pull the plug?

From what little we understand, Sega paid Gearbox who then outsourced work to TimeGate.

TimeGate did the work.

Gearbox did... something.

Sega released the game.

So what the heck happened to TimeGate to force the closure?

The only thing I can think of is that either Gearbox must have made a contract with TimeGate which has resulted in them either not being paid their money in full... or... Gearbox outrightly hasn't paid them... which doesn't make any sense because that would be illegal.

The way this would usually work is this scenario.

Pretend for this example, Sega owns the aliens franchise (it's actuall 20th Century fox).

Sega either gets studios to pitch them ideas or hires a studio to work on the game.

In this case, I think it's safe to say that they made a deal with gearbox to make the game.

So thats their deal.

Now... Gearbox from what rumored information we've got, have hired TimeGate to work on the game.

This is the bit I don't get.

If Gearbox gave TimeGate the money and the worked on the game, their work is passed to Gearbox, game is then released by Sega.

So why has TimeGate gone under? They must have been paid the money from gearbox right? Otherwise why start work on it?

The only thing I can think of, Gearbox had some kind of quality deal with them, or has outrightly lied and done a dodgy deal to TimeGate which means they're not getting all the money they expected so they can't afford all their outgoings resulting in them going bust.

Or...

TimeGates past games have been... dodgy at best. Section 8 on the PS360 was kinda meh from whats around, Section 8 on the Vita which was their last main game also scored painfully average scores.

Aliens, due to how bad it is, has killed them based on their past reputation and now their reputation with it. Any investment or pitches they had with other studios have fallen through, so what money they were expecting is now gone.

It makes no sense, based on all the original announcement trailers and interviews, Sega said Gearbox were working on the game and not TimeGate, so if Gearbox paid timegate money up front. Something else must have gone seriously wrong at TimeGate for them to pull the plug.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, Timegate got embroiled in a lawsuit with another publisher over Section 8 and lost, which is why they're going bankrupt. So, yeah.

GOOD NEWS!

According to the playstation blog, next week more DLC for this game comes out.

I'm excited, are you excited!? Be excited!

GOOD NEWS!

According to the playstation blog, next week more DLC for this game comes out.

I'm excited, are you excited!? Please Be excited!

Fixed it for ya :P

There shall only be 2 left; I saw the second DLC on the Xbox Marketplace a couple of days ago.

It was just an online Map Pack :/

• 1 month later...

Good news!

Additional trophies have been spotted which would indicate new DLC is on the way! And it's single player content!

The DLC is called Stasis Interrupted and it appears to be some kind of extended campaign or a new single player mission, the trophies do have a few spoilers in them so if you are worried about that don't click the link.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/aliens-colonial-marines/trophies/

Well, if they will release a patch that will fix at least some of the major bugs present in the game, it will be fine enough.