Awoo.

Aliens: Court Marines - "I say we take Sega's money and Nuke the entire IP from orbit..."

Badnik Mechanic

Isn't kind of late?  I mean, Gearbox may have made the solid Brothers in Arms series and made the "hit" Borderlands series (sorry, just don't like Borderlands that much :)) but between the mess that was Duke Nukem Forever (they should have let the game died) and the original state of this Aliens Game, I think they should just move on from this.

They fucked up, like Superman 64 levels of messing up; they flat out LIED to us about the game (with a impressive e3 demo no less) and we get the dated, flat out average mess that was this game. I do wonder, how bad is this DLC going to turn out; is it going to be even more broken, or is it actually going to be a solid addition that will improve the base game (remember, big DLC's can do much more than patches can do to improve a game). 

Who in their right mind would spend more money on this piss poor excuse for a video game?

People that think Season Passes are a good investment.

Yes, this game had one.

People that think Season Passes are a good investment.

Yes, this game had one.

That's just, sad, really sad :(

Just because dam Borderlands 2 had one doesn't mean that every Gearbox game needs one. 

That's just, sad, really sad sad.png

Just because dam Borderlands 2 had one doesn't mean that every Gearbox game needs one. 

Oh but no, I'm not just saying this as a Gearbox thing.

Bioshock Infinite has one, how many DLC's have come out that fall under it? Zero. First DLC isn't due until the end of this month... yet theres gonna be about 3 or 4 packs.

Thing is, Bioshock Infinite is now around £25 brand new... So what you saved from buying the season pass is long lost by the time the DLC comes out.

Even The Last of US has a season pass. But if Naughty Dog's history is anything to go by, it's just gonna be multiplayer DLC.

Bioshock Infinite has one, how many DLC's have come out that fall under it? Zero. First DLC isn't due until the end of this month... yet theres gonna be about 3 or 4 packs.

Thing is, Bioshock Infinite is now around £25 brand new... So what you saved from buying the season pass is long lost by the time the DLC comes out.

Because people only bought Bioshock Infinite to play the DLC and not the main game itself?

It's not that. It's that it's not a good deal regardless as to how you try to sell it.

Unless you're really really looking forward to getting it day 1. Bioshock Infinite is single player game right? It has a Season pass, so naturally you would assume any DLC is single player only. But to what extent that will be theres no way of knowing, especially due to the story of Bioshock Infinite.

So why buy the game and the season pass when the game is at full price and the season pass is at full price, for DLC content that you know nothing about, for a game which you don't yet know the outcome of?

You're effectively gambling on DLC that you know nothing about.

With borderlands 2, at least with that season pass they said '4 pieces of DLC, new campaigns' and even then the third piece was amazingly short compared to the rest.

With aliens, Bioshock and TLOU, you're told nothing. We don't even know if TLOU's DLC is going to be single or multiplayer yet.

It's not that. It's that it's not a good deal regardless as to how you try to sell it.

Unless you're really really looking forward to getting it day 1. Bioshock Infinite is single player game right? It has a Season pass, so naturally you would assume any DLC is single player only. But to what extent that will be theres no way of knowing, especially due to the story of Bioshock Infinite.

So why buy the game and the season pass when the game is at full price and the season pass is at full price, for DLC content that you know nothing about, for a game which you don't yet know the outcome of?

With borderlands 2, at least with that season pass they said '4 pieces of DLC, new campaigns' and even then the third piece was amazingly short compared to the rest.

With aliens, Bioshock and TLOU, you're told nothing. We don't even know if TLOU's DLC is going to be single or multiplayer yet.

Infinite was said to be at least partly single player story DLC.

So, like...I'm not a Season Pass holder. But I assume I'm the only one going to purchase this?

I mean, don't get me wrong, the game was terrible and such but I kept a hold of min solely for Single Player DLC. I'm over the mess this game created. I'm still not fond of Gearbox though - A mess can be tidied up but a lie can never be forgotten :| Randy fucking Bitchford

Uhh I'm pretty sure it's going to be two MP DLC packs and one SP adventure.

Proof: http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/the_last_of_us_pre_order_the_digital_edition_and_the_dlc_season_pass/

Yeah, I remember that with Last of Us too. We were told early on that we were getting more than skins or multiplayer maps.

It is a good deal if you're a fan and you want the bonuses included, like the "Early Bird" pack in Infinite.

• 1 year later...

The plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Gearbox Software and Sega, claiming the developer falsely advertised Aliens: Colonial Marines with unrepresentative trade show demonstrations, have agreed to drop Gearbox from the suit, according to court documents obtained by Polygon today.

The judge in the case also ruled that the suit, which still stands against publisher Sega and once nearly reached a $1.25 million settlement, is no longer a class action and will only be representative of the two original gamers who filed the suit through law firm Edelson LLC in the Northern District of California in April, 2013.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was released Feb. 12, 2013, to harsh criticism and low review scores. Some players and reviewers noted that the game's visuals didn't match what Sega and developer Gearbox showed off of the game prior to release at fan and press events.

These demos, which Gearbox co-founder Randy Pitchford called "actual gameplay," according to the original court filing, were criticized after the game's launch for featuring graphical fidelity, AI behavior and even entire levels not featured in the game. Our review of Aliens: Colonial Marines featured a gallery highlighting some of the differences between a 2012 video walkthrough of the title, and the same level in the final version of the game.

The court notes from the May 27 meeting between the attorneys doesn't explain exactly why the plaintiffs dropped Gearbox from the suit. But it does seem to indicate that the developer's unwillingness to settle and the loss of class action status forced the hand of the plaintiff's attorneys who are now in renewed settlement discussions with Sega.

The plaintiff's now have until June 3 to tell the court how they intend to proceed with respect to Sega, according to the document.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/28/8683827/aliens-colonial-marines-lawsuit-loses-class-status-gearbox-dropped

I'm lazy and want a short version:

Gearbox got away with it, Sega will probably pay these two claimants a lot of money to drop the court case.

Honestly, it kinda ticks me off that they're letting Gearbox get away with taking money off of one game and putting it toward another AND lying tonSEGA and 2K about it. Maybe we should petition SEGA to sue Gearbox or something. They need to know that they CANNOT get away with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was always thinking that Sega would have been in a better position to deal with gearbox had they not released this game.

I know both companies were in the wrong here but Gearbox getting away with it is BS. I want to see that smirk wiped off of Randy Pitchford's stupid face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thing is, people forget something really important about all this.

Did Gearbox make a shit game? Yes.

Did Gearbox outsource it to another studio? Almost certainly the case.

Did Sega mis-sell the game by having false trailers on their website? Yes.

And which of those 3 things can a buyer of the game challenge in court? 

The only people who can sue Gearbox are Sega, however I think they'd find it too costly to justify the expense/victory. 

• 1 month later...

That may be, but I still can't fucking believe Sega was gullible enough to let Gearbox keep working on the game after they found out their money was essentially being laundered into other games. Twice.

Sega really needs to learn how to outsource properly.

IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

So following Randy's comments about how Gearbox had nothing to answer for, Jim Sterling called him out on it in his newest Jimquisition video.

Which cued a ton of people bombarding Randy's twitter account with demands for answers.... Well... it seems that Randy has decided to respond... and it's laughably bad.

Examples of mismangement or given the number of lies told... probably lies.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic 3 hod.před 3 hodinami

@ngrey651 I did not claim the market proved me right. Pre-orders were nothing (less than 10%). The game was a commercial failure, actually.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic 3 hpřed 3 hodinami

@ngrey651 We needed about three million units to break even.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic 3 hpřed 3 hodinami

@ngrey651 We invested a LOT on top of Sega’s investment hoping to compete. We still came in at under half what is spent on CoD…

@ngrey651 I invested over $10m on top of Sega’s investment. Lost it all.

Then we have this little gem....

Okay... that review. EGM's review at the time was done by Brandon Justice, lookup the name to get an idea as to what he's like. 

Following his review, which was the last review he wrong for EGM, he was fired shortly after it. The review in question was not a critique or a review of the game, but a blatant paid for advert. Even EGM's website at the time was littered with adverts for Colonial Marines, it drew tons of accusations that it was a bought review, even in SSMB there are still posts saying just that.

Odds are there's more to come, there ain't no getting off this express elevator to hell!

IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

So following Randy's comments about how Gearbox had nothing to answer for, Jim Sterling called him out on it in his newest Jimquisition video.

Which cued a ton of people bombarding Randy's twitter account with demands for answers.... Well... it seems that Randy has decided to respond... and it's laughably bad.

Examples of mismangement or given the number of lies told... probably lies.

Then we have this little gem....

Okay... that review. EGM's review at the time was done by Brandon Justice, lookup the name to get an idea as to what he's like. 

Following his review, which was the last review he wrong for EGM, he was fired shortly after it. The review in question was not a critique or a review of the game, but a blatant paid for advert. Even EGM's website at the time was littered with adverts for Colonial Marines, it drew tons of accusations that it was a bought review, even in SSMB there are still posts saying just that.

Odds are there's more to come, there ain't no getting off this express elevator to hell!

Gearbox is CLEARLY not taking ANY responsibility for ANYTHING THEY did.

• Thumbs Up 2

Randy PitchforK is a nasty ol' twat. I can't believe that after all this A:CM controversy has died down he brings it back up again and not even to fucking apologise for the disaster that it was! Unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Randy Pitchford: the physical manifestation of the saying "the gaming industry thinks you're stupid."

He honestly thinks he's gonna come out of this  loved, or appreciated? In what world would we sympathize for and understand his logic? None, that's the answer. 

Unless he simply just doesn't care and is fine with gloating and purposely ruining his rep, since he doesn't have to pay anyone back or pay that fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least highight some of the mind boggling statements.

I lost somewhere between $10 million and $15 million that I invested in that game. I still don’t regret it – I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. But no, the plan was to entertain people with this awesome Aliens experience.

What’s weird is that I actually like the game. Some people invented this myth that if we tried it would have been good, so we must not have tried. Maybe we didn’t spend the money on this game, maybe we spent it on another one that was good? So there’s this rumour we’d embezzled money from Aliens and spent it on Borderlands. Firstly, that’s absurd, and secondly the actual truth is the opposite, which is a lot more embarrassing. We took a huge amount of the money that we’d made off the first Borderlands, invested it into Aliens trying to make it as good as we could, and still ended up disappointing a huge number of people. That’s a whole other kind of failure! But it's all from this fundamental truth, which is we tried to do a good job and entertain people and some people didn’t like it. 

Let me get this straight, he invested between $10 - $15 million on the game and money from borderlands was put into it? What a load of shit, just... how!? Also how does that explain Timegates involvement in the single player stuff...

But the most insane comment is this one!

"The next one was in the very next shot in a room where originally there was one of those long halogen tube lights that was swinging and it looked pretty cool, but in the final game the level designer decided a klaxon would be better so changed it and suddenly that’s a scandal! It went from a swinging light to a spinning light and all those things could have been either way and it wouldn’t have affected the results. The content that those people produce, they profit from views. I get it, and it’s part of our world but dude… I mean, I still see videos from people suggesting 9/11 is staged and they’re very convincing but… I mean I’m just grateful that people care enough about our stuff that it’s a worthy enterprise for them to spend that kind of time."

Fuck me, we've certainly hit something if now we're comparing ourselves to a 9/11 conspiracy theory! 

• Thumbs Up 3