Awoo.

Things You'd Like To See Explored More

Marcello

Topic title might be a bit misleading, but I can't think of anything better :lol:

What I mean is characters' personality traits, characters interacting with each other, stories etc.

Some of mine are,

Epsio and Rouge: First of all, I in no way mean a romantic relationship. I never really thought about this before Sonic Rivals 2, but I think those two together could be interesting. Espio's a ninja, while Rouge is a spy. Somewhat similar, but the difference is that Espio takes it more serious than Rouge does, I think. Personally, I think it would be pretty interesting to see those two react to their conflicting personalities.

Eggman and Tails: First of all, I totally mean a romantic relationship

TrollFace.png
Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's a total wacky friendship dynamic to be explored with Vector and Espio Blaze and Marine, I want to see more of it if we ever get the chance to go back to them.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I want to learn more about Tails relationships with other characters rather than having him standing behind Sonic while he's talking.

I fully agree on Robotnik and Tails, could have been interesting if Tails actually was on Robotniks side during the first half of Colours or something.

Also, kill me for it, but I want more Gerald and Maria Robotnik information, maybe they could fill in some plot questions like when and how Gerald programmed post-Maria's death and such.

What I would like to see more is character interaction between tails and amy, or tails and knuckles. I'd say the series needs more character interaction in general. Also would like to see a some better character developement, especially with characters like amy and knuckles.

I'd personally love to see Knuckles and Shadow working alongside one another.

They share a lot in common, yet neither have really interacted closely together, at least not in a memorable and/or important way. Yet if they actually stopped and chatted about their shared history for a brief minute, I think they'd relate to one another quite nicely.

- Both were once rivals of Sonic the Hedgehog

- Both were tricked by Dr. Eggman

- Both were/are grudgingly heroic, rather than the "Yeah, let's go!" attitude of Sonic and Tails

- Both are quite surly, private individuals

- Both like their independence

- Both base themselves around a concept of protection

- Both have complex back-stories beyond their current status

Given their common attitude, I doubt either would be in danger of annoying or irritating the other. And those two first points in particular, being duped and fighting against Sonic (and even, despite their newfound heroism, maintaining some form of rivalry and competition with Sonic), gives them an understanding and respect of one another. Others, like Tails or Silver, wouldn't really "get" the need to compare themselves to the central hero.

Either that, or they'd descend into a massive brawl, unable to contain their competitive natures to merely Sonic.

But I'd love the chance to see.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd like to see more of Sonic's aversion to/fear of water. I honestly find it very interesting that Sonic has a fear, let alone a fear of something incredibly common. I think reinforced aquaphobia/dislike of water adds another dimension to Sonic and makes him more interesting because that single thing makes him far from perfect.

I'd also like to see what the characters do in their daily lives a bit more, you know, when there isn't a grave threat, what they do in their "days off". The storybook games were slightly more interesting than usual because of this. Like Sonic and Amy dating (SatBK) and Sonic about to eat two Chili Dogs before the "Stressful encounter". Or Sonic napping on the sofa in an unknown home after reading a book (SatSR). It's a cute and endearing form of exposition.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm with Glenn on Shadow and Knuckles. I could see the two understanding each other. It might help Knuckles out of the "buddy" phase he's stuck in now. Also Shadow and Eggman. They have a lot of family history. Is there anything Shadow could learn from Robotnik. I'm not even crazy about Shadow but he could be opened up.

Is there anything Shadow could learn from Robotnik. I'm not even crazy about Shadow but he could be opened up.

If there was anything Shadow took from Dr. Eggman, I think it'd send Shadow back a few paces. If, in the future, SEGA decided to make Shadow a bit darker and reintroduce his status as "foe" rather than "friend", then we'd see some cool interplay. Not essentially teaming them back up together again, but more a rivalry between villains.

Shadow is far from my favourite character, too, but his rich story development gives him more potential than anybody. I don't care what they do with him, frankly, but they could do so much. Perhaps that's the reason for my lack of care... Shadow could go either way, and it would work.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Sonic's fear of water. It doesn't have to be angsty or anything, but just little moments like "Whew, good thing it's shallow!" are precious because they remind you he's actually not immune to fear.

-Sonic's status with Eggman. Not that Sonic X is canon, but remember that one episode where Sonic encounter him just chillin' out at the top of that cliff, and they just talk? They're still enemies/rivals, nothing has changed, but they're just TALKING about their differences. It's who they are behind the constant fighting and exchanges of wit.

-Eggman as a whole. One thing I really liked about SA2 was that he was a part of the main story, not just the enemy you had to defeat. We followed him in storymode, along with Rouge and Shadow, and got to see a lot of things from HIS perspective instead of only Sonic's. Eggman also really has a distinct goal: he wants to rule the world, not destroy it, in contrast to his grandfather. We all KNOW this, but we only ever hear it from him in SA2. Also, Sonic Colors really showed off his twisted sense of humor and characterized him very well. But it's hidden in favor of the rest of the 'plot'... you mostly hear it in-level, and that's only if you can make out his words through the other noise going on. Overall: Eggman needs a bit more attention.

-Relationships between characters. Character development for ALL characters, Sonic, Eggman and otherwise. A story that gives other characters a big enough role to allow for character development, like SA and SA2 did.

Characters working together that never have before. For example I can never think of a time when Blaze has even spoken to Shadow, what's up with that?

And it shouldn't be just duos, it could also be entire groups of any number of random characters. Roll the dice.

Also, I'm neutral about exploring backstory. While it would be cool to do so, isn't it kind of tradition for Sonic characters to be mysterious? But another side of me just wants to go several years back into each individual character's history and see what things happened in their past and what makes them them, maybe even back before they met Sonic.

Edited by Raxz

- Both were tricked by Dr. Eggman

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The whole time Shadow worked for Eggman was because Eggman lied to him about his past. Or maybe that was in the comics? Darn you SEGA for giving me 2 continuities!

I would like to see more Sonic and Eggman team ups because they're hardly long lasting.

They did team up in SA2 and SAdv3 but it was rather short lived. It could go more in depth than that. :P

I'd like to see some more interaction between Amy and Blaze. Blaze has a habit of being dragged around by young, upbeat and stubborn girls and Amy's twice as upbeat and twice as stubborn. It would be a nice contrast, Blaze is shy and painfully withdrawn while Amy is very open and emotional. I really liked their interactions in Rush where Amy actually helped Blaze's development by giving her a spiel about friendship. Plus the first time Blaze smiled in Sonic Rush was (indirectly) because of Amy. She was laughing at Cream's comment that Amy had Sonic radar.

Um, when was Shadow ever tricked by Eggman? Because I recall it the other way around in SA2, unless you mean the parts in ShTH where Eggman had him convinced he was a robot. Fill me in dude, because I don't recall this at all.

Perhaps not directly, but Dr. Eggman has always attempted to manipulate Shadow. As you mentioned, there are moments in Shadow the Hedgehog, along various story paths, that feature Dr. Eggman actively lying to and misleading Shadow ("You're a robot! Unless you're not!"). Not only that, but Dr. Eggman has always known more about Shadow's true origins than anybody else, yet keeps them to himself. The entire time during Sonic Heroes, in particular, could have been far less confusing if the good doctor was honest and open with Shadow. Such behaviour is trickery in my book (or at least closer to the trickery deployed upon Knuckles than anything, or anybody, else in the franchise history).

If you'd rather get technical, however, then I'll change my point: "Both have complicated, manipulated relationships with Dr. Eggman and have stood beside him against Sonic the Hedgehog." That's the long version of, basically, what I was getting at.

Apologies for any confusion caused. None intended. :)

As long as we have games like Colors, you can forget about anything like all that development of characters.

It's a shame that Generations will be more like Colors in terms of plot and the recent NP article confirms that. Iizuka said that himself.

At least, it's nice to see that some fans, who may not be Sa-fans, still care about all that.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Colours had some of the best character development I'd seen in a Sonic game probably.

Colours had some of the best character development I'd seen in a Sonic game probably.

To each his own. I thought Sonic's characterization in Colors was the worst in the whole series, cause his jokes were terrible, his attitude towards Tails was arrogant and he just behaved like a total jerk. Guess we see how Sonic should behave differently.

And I was speaking NOT about Sonic in my previous post, actually. Cause, you know, this whole topic looks like it's about OTHER characters and Colors had none of them, except Tails and obviously Dr.Eggman. I'm not counting the DS version, as those dialogs were more like a fanservice and bonus content than actual part of the story script.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

To each his own. I thought Sonic's characterization in Colors was the worst in the whole series, cause his jokes were terrible, his attitude towards Tails was arrogant and he just behaved like a total jerk. Guess we see how Sonic should behave differently.

And I was speaking NOT about Sonic in my previous post, actually. Cause, you know, this whole topic looks like it's about OTHER characters and Colors had none of them, except Tails and obviously Dr.Eggman. I'm not counting the DS version, as those dialogs were more like a fanservice and bonus content than actual part of the story script.

I liked him in both Wii and DS, I thought he wasn't more arrogant than he was in SA1 and some of those games. I hated Sonics characterization in Heroes and Shadow for example.

As for other characters, Tails felt perfect to me but I want to see more Shadow.

I mean, we're meant to have left his past behind him now so that he can become his own character with his own story, yet we havn't seen him sin 2006, which never happened. Same thing with Silver to be honest.

I liked him in both Wii and DS, I thought he wasn't more arrogant than he was in SA1 and some of those games. I hated Sonics characterization in Heroes and Shadow for example.

As for other characters, Tails felt perfect to me but I want to see more Shadow.

I mean, we're meant to have left his past behind him now so that he can become his own character with his own story, yet we havn't seen him sin 2006, which never happened. Same thing with Silver to be honest.

To my surprise, except that part about Sonic in Colors (but I hated him in Heroes and Shth too), I agree with everything you've just said)).

As long as we have games like Colors, you can forget about anything like all that development of characters.

It's a shame that Generations will be more like Colors in terms of plot and the recent NP article confirms that. Iizuka said that himself.

At least, it's nice to see that some fans, who may not be Sa-fans, still care about all that.

I'm really tired of seeing your complaining about the new direction of the games, I get it, you don't like it, you don't have to say it in almost every one of your post.

I'll think about it.))

I hope so. The small dialogs in Colors DS had potential. If only they were in Colors Wii in cutscenes and were bigger! Yes, if there is something like that in Generations, I will be pleased.

Edited by Shadic93

I like the way you think here. But in order to have a chance to get that we shall get a lot of characters back. Luckily, we may get a lot of them in Generations (non playable but still), so let's cross our fingers, that there will be some awesome dialogs between chars)).