Awoo.

Things You'd Like To See Explored More

Marcello

Anyone notices how Knuckles almost never gets along with anyone he meets? It really drives the point home that he has no social skills at all.

Well, Knuckles has literally been living under a rock next to a gem by himself his whole life, of course he has no social skills XD

Edited by Raxz

Well, Knuckles has literally been living under a rock next to a gem by himself his whole life, of course he has no social skills XD

Doesn't mean he should be ignored.

But then I always was the type to approach the lonely kid at the back of the classroom and strike up a conversation. :D

I'd like to learn more about Sonic's past, and go more in deph with his personality. I'd also like to see Sonic's more emotional side explored, as it's shown little to never : (

He's never given a chance. Yes, he's a bit awkward at times, but because of his "third wheel" status nobody ever bothers to stop and chat to him anyway. He's always in the back seat, or a means to an end, and so people either ignore him completely or say "Hey, Knuckles, we need this from you! Cheers, thanks! Bye!"

As a self-imposed loner, Knuckles is obviously not going to be dancing on bar stools with a bunch of mates, but I think he's capable of holding a conversation. And if anybody is going to find common ground with such a person, it'll be Shadow, methinks.

I'd like to learn more about Sonic's past, and go more in deph with his personality. I'd also like to see Sonic's more emotional side explored, as it's shown little to never : (

I too am curious concerning exactly what made Sonic into what he is in the present time of the games story. I'm not so sure he'd develop his outlook and personality without an important role model and that would be a potentially extremely interesting thing to explore.

How many times does Sonic have to tell you that he "won't look back" before people realize that focusing on his past is a bad idea. Sonic is all about looking and moving forward; dwelling on his past is probably the most un-Sonic thing possible.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll mostly be rehashing other people's points since there were a few I saw which I agreed with.

More interaction with Knuckles and Shadow would be interesting, due their loner/last of their kind sort of thing they've got going on. Knuckles is the last of his tribe(/race, at least in his dimension), and Shadow, being artificially created, is essentially also the last of his kind, even if he is a hedgehog. They also seem to have both developed a similar concept of their path. At the end of Adventure, Knuckles basically says that even though he still doesn't really know everything about his past, he decides it might be better that way. At the end of Shadow, he decides that now that he actually knows just about everything about his past he's just going to leave it in the past and move on.

Plus if they got in some giant chaos power fueled battle, well, that would just be awesome.

Also Tails and Robotnik. The two are both geniuses, and with the way Tails has been developing more independent (beating Eggman on his own in the Adventures, subsequently losing most said development, and then getting it back in Colors) I think that there's a lot of room for potential for witty techno-banter and dueling between the two.

I was thinking that more with Omega and Eggman or G.U.N. would be cool, but than I remember he's technically in stasis until he awakens in the far future to assist Shadow but then he comes back in time but then that game actually never happened so... something.

How many times does Sonic have to tell you that he "won't look back" before people realize that focusing on his past is a bad idea. Sonic is all about looking and moving forward; dwelling on his past is probably the most un-Sonic thing possible.

Guys.

Giving a character that hasn't had a full backstory for 20 years is not a good idea. It would ONLY divide fans even more. It's like when they finally told Wolverines origin in the Marvel Comics, a lot of people HATED it.

Hell, even a newer character like Shadow got a divided fanbase when they filled in more of his backstory with Shadow The Hedgehog, imagine what would happen with Sonic.

I don't want a full backstory.

I'd just like to see any supposed figure that positively motivated Sonic and set him on the path to heroism if such a thing existed. There's real potential for interestingness there.

I think it'd be more interesting if he didn't have an idol at all. There are real people like that, and it's much more 'Sonic-ky' for him to have motivated himself to heroism rather than require an idol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Verte has a point. Focusing on Sonic's past without his point of view being the vessel through which the story is told wouldn't be some egregious violation of the character's principles, at least any more than all of the pining for nostalgia this fanbase has done for years on end. At most, both are simply ironic.

It could be done competently too, especially since we basically have some form of an origin story already floating out there-- He got bored of his home, left, and became a hero. Nothing about that is particularly offensive, nor could it not be expanded upon without throwing in unnecessary or character-altering information such as what his family structure was, or even idols. Just build a narrative around the above- Sonic has explored his home to the point of being disenchanted with it, sees Eggman one day, and takes the chance to do something interesting with his life by following him, in turn discovering some insidious plot in which he musters the courage to try and stop.

How hard was that? xP

But I thought Sonic 1 was the first time Sonic met Robtonik, he stopped him because Robotnik was kidnapping the animals, that was the motivation, we already know that.

But I thought Sonic 1 was the first time Sonic met Robtonik, he stopped him because Robotnik was kidnapping the animals, that was the motivation, we already know that.

If Sonic Retro is to be believed, Sonic and Eggman knew each other before the events of Sonic 1. I think I also remember reading that tidbit at South Island Stories, but the website's Japanese canon section is busted. The irony.

The japanese manual to my memory seems to imply that Sonic's encounter with Eggman was not the first time;

The evil mad scientist Dr. Eggman is up to his old nasty tricks again.

"Sonic…that annoying, impertinent hedgehog. Thanks to him, my great plans are always laid to waste! Oh, but this time, I'm going to rub him out with the power of science! Ha ha ha ha ha…"

South Island is a treasure trove of gems and ancient ruins. They say that it's the island where the mystical Chaos Emeralds lie. The Chaos Emeralds are a super-material that give energy to all living beings. Also, when applied to scientific purposes, they can be used for nuclear and laser based weaponry. However, nobody knows exactly how to get ahold of these emeralds. At the same time, though, they do say that the reason why South Island is always moving is because the emeralds are somewhere inside the island's hazy depths.

One day, crisis visited upon the island. And who showed up with it but Dr. Eggman and his cronies.

"I'll find those emeralds even if I have to dig up the entire island to do it!"

Dr. Eggman set up a fort in one corner of the island, and went about carrying out his plan.

"Eggman, you still haven't had enough?"

Sonic hurried as soon as he heard the news. Dr. Eggman never seemed to leave him alone, even though Sonic had beaten him every time so far. It sounded like Dr. Eggman considered Sonic his sworn enemy, but he was never any match for Sonic.

However, this time something is amiss.

"Have you seen it, Sonic? This time is going to be different! Because this time, I've turned all the animals on the island into robots!"

"E, Everybody!?"

"All of them go about in accordance to my orders. In other words, Sonic, everyone on the island is your enemy! Gya— Ha ha ha ha ha ha ^cough^ ^ack^ ^ahem^. This time, the world really will be all mine!"

This is terrible! Hurry! Sonic the Hedgehog - everyone is waiting for your help!

So there you have it. Sonic 1 was not Sonic and Eggman's first encounter. They had came across each other before though in regards to these confrontations prior to Sonic 1, your guess is as good as mine.

But that's only if the flashback was explicitly through Sonic's POV. That would be going against his mantra.

Flashbacks that are not from Sonic's memory/POV would not contradict Sonic's personal mantra. Such an insight would be from the stories' point and would not require Sonic's actual input regarding his past. It's not a usual form of exposition but it can be done well.

The point, I think, isn't that Sonic himself doesn't look back at his past, but that his past isn't what's important. "Sneaking" into Sonic's backstory like that is no better than having him tell it himself.

The rest about his past isn't necessary, but really, I'd like to see a Sonic game that explains how Sonic got his airplane, the Tornado I. I think it'd be pretty cool. It could have an interesting backstory to it.

Edited by Tatsumaki

The rest about his past isn't necessary, but really, I'd like to see a Sonic game that explains how Sonic got his airplane, the Tornado I. I think it'd be pretty cool. It could have an interesting backstory to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It could be done competently too, especially since we basically have some form of an origin story already floating out there-- He got bored of his home, left, and became a hero. Nothing about that is particularly offensive, nor could it not be expanded upon without throwing in unnecessary or character-altering information such as what his family structure was, or even idols. Just build a narrative around the above- Sonic has explored his home to the point of being disenchanted with it, sees Eggman one day, and takes the chance to do something interesting with his life by following him, in turn discovering some insidious plot in which he musters the courage to try and stop.

That's kind of how I imagined it would have happened. I'm curious about Sonic's past, but I don't know if that curiosity reaches the point of actually wanting to know. It's shrouded in so much mystery that it could have been ANYTHING.

As far as the idea of Sonic once having looked up to someone... I can imagine that could have been a contribution to his character, but I also like to think of Sonic as pretty self-sufficient mentally. Honestly, I think most of his personality comes from his experiences, rather than inspiration by another person. Somewhere along the line, he encountered Eggman and made the decision to take him on, and it helped him realize who he was and what he believed in.

But like I said, his past could have been anything. I wouldn't want to risk it and find out his super-positive outlook was a result of him repressing some terrible accident or something.

...Extreme example. But you get what I mean.

Me too! I've always wondered about the Tornado. Sometimes you forget it's even Sonic's plane.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that would be very interesting.

If it's origin was ever explored, I would LOL if it was stolen from Eggman and then customized by Sonic.

Edited by Tatsumaki

That's kind of how I imagined it would have happened. I'm curious about Sonic's past, but I don't know if that curiosity reaches the point of actually wanting to know. It's shrouded in so much mystery that it could have been ANYTHING.

As far as the idea of Sonic once having looked up to someone... I can imagine that could have been a contribution to his character, but I also like to think of Sonic as pretty self-sufficient mentally. Honestly, I think most of his personality comes from his experiences, rather than inspiration by another person. Somewhere along the line, he encountered Eggman and made the decision to take him on, and it helped him realize who he was and what he believed in.

But like I said, his past could have been anything. I wouldn't want to risk it and find out his super-positive outlook was a result of him repressing some terrible accident or something.

...Extreme example. But you get what I mean.

Really? Didn't know that. I have to read it. It sounds like a good, heartwarming story.

A minor screwup like calling Robotnik Eggman, well, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the story at all. Now making Tails as the owner of the Tornado series, including the first, that's bad.