Awoo.

The distinctive features of SA-games

Cstyler

I'll try to find parallels between SA, SA2 and S’06, not in their gameplay or chao-gardens, but in the small details that make a SA-game so Sonic Adventure-ish.

Let’s start directly from what we see when we ran the game: from the intro-movies and title screens.

90700362r.jpg

Sonic Adventure. The game is introduced by a breathtaking video where all the playable characters and the main boss (Chaos) are shown. We can hear thrilling music that harshly turns into the main theme. Most of the people who know about Sonic have goosebumps while watching this intro.

Sonic Adventure 2. The opening is available only in SA2-Battle version, but I’m not going to review it. The original game is introduced that way: some sharp metal objects merge together in space, forming the SA2 logo. The main theme starts playing. The ”Press Start” screen appears with hedgehogs’ outlines on the background. We don’t know what it’s all about, it’s a challenge, and it’s accepted!

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006. Turning the game on, we see a landscape that accompanied by the main theme that hardly differs from SA and SA2 main themes. It’s not that exciting hard rock anymore; we can even feel some kind of depression in the sound. If you won’t press start, you’ll see the first cutscene.

Well, we pressed start and got into the menu.

Sonic Adventure. While listening to the sexy voice of the female narrator we choose a character and start playing!

Sonic Adventure 2. In the every sub-menu we can hear single themes that are actually remixes of the main theme of the game. And, of course, the female narrator! The more emblems you earn, the more menu color schemes and new narrator voices you can use (even Maria!).

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006. No female narrator. No any narrator.

Okay, let’s start playing as Sonic and watch the first cutscene.

Sonic Adventure. The silence and peace of the city is broken by a helicopter and a bunch of police cars trooped around a strange creature (it’s Chaos). While jumping on rooftops, Sonic notices that and steps in. Boss battle! Without any stupid unavoidable training mode! That’s cool as hell.

Sonic Adventure 2. The helicopter flies somewhere high above the city. Suddenly we discover that Sonic is inside the heli and he’s under arrest! How could it happen? We’ll figure it out while passing the game. Our hero slips away from the heli, snaps off a piece of carcass and jumps down with it. Sonic lands on the route of some dormitory and skates (!) that piece of iron. That’s freaking awesome!

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006. Venetian views, fireworks. Princess Elise (human) is going to fire the big torch that represents the local god, but everything flares up and a giant monster appears at the background. It’s just a princess’ vision. She fires the torch, everybody’s happy. But here comes Eggman and he wants to kidnap Elise. Then Sonic appears, destroys robots, takes Elise on his hands and runs off with her. Silver watches all this show and mumbles that he ”found the Iblis trigger”. Eggman manages to kidnap the princess though. That’s all. Before we can actually play, we’ll face the training mode and conversations with the residents.

11175918.jpg

Another awesome distinctive feature of the SA-games is the escape from some homicidal thing in the first level. And the thing is have to be original, not a copypaste like in S’06!

SA-games also use 2D art, not renders.

60648002.jpg

I think there’s no need to continue finding the details. Sonic’06 has no SA-spirit. Don’t know how about you guys, but I really miss that spirit.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 6

Ugh..

Okay, that is just shallow nit-picking to make it look less as a SA game, you could just as easily do it the other way around.

• Thumbs Up 4

Another awesome distinctive feature of the SA-games is the escape from some homicidal thing in the first level. And the thing is have to be original, not a copypaste like in S’06!
Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 5

Sonic Adventure 3 2006 has Chao in Space 3 advertisements.

/topic

• Thumbs Up 11
  • Bad Quality Post 2

While I think it somewhat unfair to give such heavy negative reputation to an individual who's clearly just thinking about all the little details of the franchise (surely the very definition of a fan, and therefore of us all)...

...yeah, I do think it equally obvious that Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), due to various factors in the development and promotion, was supposed to be a complete revamp of the Sonic franchise and never, ever was it supposed to be considered as Sonic Adventure Trilogy.

• Thumbs Up 1

SNG can't be SA3 mainly because the game wasn't finished, it had some defects such as plotholes, and it doesn't have a lot of features that Adventure-game must have. Those above are just examples. Saying that SNG is SA3 is like saying that Sonic Rush is Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Pointless touches that 2006 Sonic Team wouldn't have bothered with, and some massive nitpicks do not change the fact that '06 is essentially SA3 due to playing in (a horribly mangled version of) the same style as the Adventures. The only thing that would change this is the release of a game actually called "Sonic Adventure 3", which SEGA has no reason to do.

SNG can't be SA3 mainly because the game wasn't finished, it had some defects such as plotholes, and it doesn't have a lot of features that Adventure-game must have. Those above are just examples. Saying that SNG is SA3 is like saying that Sonic Rush is Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 06 is more of an Adventure game than Sonic Adventure 2.

Give me a break.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Saying that SNG is SA3 is like saying that Sonic Rush is Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1

SNG can't be SA3 mainly because the game wasn't finished, it had some defects such as plotholes,

The OP is excruciatingly nitpicky.

Especially in light of the fact that the only things that the Adventure games share in common with each other that were not to become mainstream staples later on are Chao Gardens...and Chao in Space posters... and Emerald detecting gameplay, I guess....

Yeah, I think that's it. I can't think of anything else.

Something tells me this is going to turn into another argument of wether sonic 06 is SA3 or not. Anyways could 06 be considered an SA3 yes, are the Adventure fans(including me) going to accept it as an SA3, no.

I'm an Adventure fan and accept Sonic 06 as a spiritual SA3... and Unleashed as a spiritual SA4.

Please don't lump all Adventure fans together. That makes it much easier for us to be derided. =(

Well, guys, c'mon... this is a franchise we're talking about. There are going to be obvious features that carry from videogame to videogame. Or should we all start debating whether Sonic Colours, on Nintendo Wii, is actually Sonic Unleashed 2 - Sonic Harder...?

Okay, so there were hub worlds, multiple storylines, etc. etc. but then Sonic Heroes, and even Shadow the Hedgehog, had multiple storylines following different characters (or even one character, in the case of Shadow, whose videogame was perhaps the closest we'll ever come to a proper sequel to Sonic Adventure 2, really). Two years later and the HD version of Sonic Unleashed, designed to be a completely new angle on the franchise, still had hub worlds. Does that make it Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (2008), at all?

When it came to Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), things were looking pretty okay for Sonic. The two Dreamcast outings were well-received, Sonic had successfully gone multi-platform and handheld success stories had continued the traditional 2D platform gameplay. Can you blame the 15th Anniversary videogame pinching a few concepts from previous videogames?

As fans, we enjoy looking at the differences and details between the many videogames. That's pretty much what I think the entire point of this topic was. Let's not overlook that and get ahead of ourselves. Play nice, people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do not agree with a statement like "We don't need SA3 'cause we got STH2006". Lets start with that if Sonic 4 is possible then SA3 is also possible. Moreover, if we have games that are similar to SA3 that doesn't mean that we don't need SA3 itself. The same case with Sonic 4 that is not the first attempt to create game with "classic" gameplay. Haters say that SA3 has no future because Sonic 06 already created. I might as well say that SONIC 4 already out on GameBoy Advance, and it is called Sonic Advance 1.

Retro fans: "OMGWTF how dare you speak such a nonsense!"

Retro fans can disagree with that point of view, saying that Sonic Advance never reaches level of Retro Sonic games, but truth is that SEGA never intended to return to the roots of Sonic exactly after 16 years, even though Sonic 4 PR does imply vise versa. They tried to create a game of old style gameplay long ago, and Sonic Advance 1 is exactly one of those tries, but they didn't use it as a sweet candy for Retro fans, the way they use Sonic 4 and SG now. Sonic Advance 1 can be calles Sonic 4 and to prove that just look at gameplay, game mechanics close to the classics, Green Hill, classic badniks, capsules with animals, music from Retro games, old classic Eggmobile. Tell me, aside those things what else makes official Sonic 4 the "Great return to classics which Fans were looking for 16 years?". It is just PR that is different. Games similar to Sonic 4 came out long before Sonic 4. So what? How did that stoped release of real Sonic 4, which titled exactly "Sonic 4", and thats why everyone considers this game exactly as Sonic 4 and not any other game? Retro fans can say that Sonic Advance 1 have no rights to be called Sonic 4, and they will have some arguments that I may agree. But I might as well say that Sonic 06 have no rights to be called SA3, because maybe it has some elements that relevant to Adventure series games, but except for this is a game of same type, neither its quality nor its game process cannot compete with game, that fans wait for and refer to as "Sonic Adventure 3". Adventure series for many people as well as retro games is an ethalon of quality and completeability, thats why like in case of Sonic 4, SA fans talk about the game that is not just similar, but will be a proper continue to previous game with a great gameplay, storyline and atmosphere when they talk about SA3. I doubt that many of Retro fans will accept that Sonic Advance is Sonic 4, but in the end this games have as many things in common as Sonic 06 and SA3. Why Sonic Advance is not accepted as it is Sonic 4? I think because even though this game tried to use concepts of classic games, in the end it came out unsatisfying for those who waited for real return of classics, which Sonic 4 has. And Adventure series fans want exactly the same - return to their favorite series with same high quality like the original. Thats why Sonic 06 maybe look alike Adventures, but still be the game that JUST LOOKS LIKE Adventures, but not the same level, that is hopefully aplied to SA3.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th anniversary game, and Sonic 2006 was the 15th anniversary game.

Just throwing that out there.

Why Sonic Advance is not accepted as it is Sonic 4?
Edited by Indigo Rush

As much as I would like to say that SNG is Sa3, I can not. Yes, the game has a lot of features the Sa series has, but it can't be considered Sa3 for the following reasons:

1. The game is not a sequel to Sa2 and has no connections to either of them and it doesn't have any connections even to Shadow the hedgehog if you are not counting Shadow-reboot-like story in SNG after he decided to forget about his past in his game as one.

2. The game has no Chao gardens unlike both adventures

3. The game has pretty different visual style, which is far more realistic. It doesn't look like a new adventure game

4. The game has no unlockables when both adventures had a plenty of them

5. The game has absolutely different soundtrack which is awesome, but it doesn't sound like an OST from a new adventure game

6. The game isn't CALLED Sonic adventure 3, so acknowledge it: it's not Sonic adventure 3.

And I agree with what Spyro said. Going by that logic, Sonic Colors is Sonic unleashed 2, Sonic Colors DS is Sonic rush 3, Sonic advance is Sonic 4 and Sonic and the black knight is actually Sonic and the secret rings 2! SNG is just a Sonic adventure-styled game (as someone said right after this post), that's all. And what did someone neg-repped Spyro for? She is just speaking her opinion like everyone on the board!

P.S.

Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th anniversary game, and Sonic 2006 was the 15th anniversary game.
Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic 06 might be a SA3. I mean, think about it. Adventure fields, multiple characters playable (unlocked throughout the story of Sonic too!), multiple storylines that come together at the end, big mythological creature as the end boss, etc. All that's missing is the title "Sonic Adventure 3"! (Well, bug fixes also, but not the point).

Saying that SNG is SA3 is like saying that Sonic Rush is Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

It's an adventure-styled game. A bad, unfinished adventure-styled game, but one none-the-less. Not that it changes anything of course, one bad example doesn't stop you guys from hoping for a good adventure-styled game does it? No, so let's stop feeling so threatened by the three games being grouped together, and get on with our lives. c:

A 1/3 of both Adventure games is not actually traditional Sonic. Same for 2006. (Sonic, Shadow and Blaze)

.....you do know I was being sarcastic?

Well, guys, c'mon... this is a franchise we're talking about. There are going to be obvious features that carry from videogame to videogame.
But considering how many different things Sonic has tried to do, it's easy to pick up on the various lineages within the series. You can see how '06 is a descendant of the Adventures, how Unleashed came from the Rushes, and so on.

Or should we all start debating whether Sonic Colours, on Nintendo Wii, is actually Sonic Unleashed 2 - Sonic Harder...?
It kind of is! Less so than '06 is SA3, I'd say, but I wouldn't get on anyone's back for saying Colors is essentially a sequel to Unleashed.

Two years later and the HD version of Sonic Unleashed, designed to be a completely new angle on the franchise, still had hub worlds. Does that make it Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (2008), at all?
Not for having one similar element. The reason people call '06 SA3 is because nearly every single thing about it fits it being an Adventure game. The only clear things that don't are the lack of chao gardens and the name.

Can you blame the 15th Anniversary videogame pinching a few concepts from previous videogames?
I don't "blame" it for taking elements from the Adventure games. I recognize that it is basically SA3 and I blame it for being a shitty game.

As fans, we enjoy looking at the differences and details between the many videogames. That's pretty much what I think the entire point of this topic was.
The topic's subtitle is: "or why S'06 is not SA3". I'd say that's pretty much what the topic was supposed to be about.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Generations is the 20th anniversary game and it's neither an Sonic adventure 3, nor a Sonic Unleashed 2.

Half the game is Sonic Unleashed daytime stages and the other half is not. :P

We're not saying that it is Sonic Adventure 3, we're just saying it may as well have been.

If it was called SA3, none of this debate would even be here. No one would be saying "IT SHOULD HAVE JUST BEEN CALLED SONIC."