Awoo.

The distinctive features of SA-games

Cstyler

Sonic Heroes is Adventure 3, because it came after SA2, had the same voice actors, and had emblems. And it removed Mech-Shooting and Treasure Hunting the same way they removed Big and Amy,due to fan and critical response.

85365602.jpg

I can agree. Even SH is more SA3 than S'06, but it's still not SA3 because of gameplay. It's all so complicated. I started the topic to let people who name S'06 as SA3 change their point of view and let another SA-styled game a chance to appear.

I started the topic to let people who name S'06 as SA3 change their point of view and let another SA-styled game a chance to appear.

Well any Tom Dick and Harry can do that... the problem is that this one actually lacks much of an argument as to why it's not.

Even SH is more SA3 than S'06

Please tell me you're joking.

I started the topic to let people who name S'06 as SA3 change their point of view and let another SA-styled game a chance to appear.

Saying that Sonic 06 is a Sonic Adventure 3 equivalent doesn't stop the developers from creating another Sonic game similarly styled like the original Sonic Adventure. It definitely didn't stop them from bringing back hub-worlds once again in Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by Chooch

Well any Tom Dick and Harry can do that... the problem is that this one actually lacks much of an argument as to why it's not.

Edited by Cstyler

If the developers of Sonic 06 were confident that it was Sonic Adventure 3, wouldn't you think they'd, I dunno, NAME it so?

If the developers of Sonic 06 were confident that it was Sonic Adventure 3, wouldn't you think they'd, I dunno, NAME it so?

What do SA and SA2 have in common and what S'06 doesn't have? Main theme by Crush 40, 2d artwork, Chao Garden and voice in the menu. These details are the reason why S'06 is not SA3 in my opinion.
Edited by Chooch

The Story mode of Sonic 06 focuses on individual characters (like Adventure) and not two groups of characters (like Adventure 2).

Edited by Kiberbot
  • Thumbs Up 2

And three out of those four details are so laughably trivial that there's basically no point in mentioning them.

They didn't name Sonic Adventure 2 after any of the old games, yet it was the 10th anniversary

Edited by ChikaBoing

I've just named my views.

What do SA and SA2 have in common and what S'06 doesn't have? Main theme by Crush 40, 2d artwork, Chao Garden and voice in the menu. These details are the reason why S'06 is not SA3 in my opinion. S'06 is just a SA-styled game. Stop calling it SA3 and everybody's gonna be happy. :)

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

Cstyler, you seem to be completely reaching for some justification in order to discredit Sonic 06 from being rationally considered an Adventure title.

So it has to be original? Excuse me for asking... but when is that a written rule? To what foundation do you have to base that rule from? A whole two games with the adventure title?

Edited by Cstyler
  • Thumbs Up 1

What do SA and SA2 have in common and what S'06 doesn't have? Main theme by Crush 40, 2d artwork, Chao Garden and voice in the menu. These details are the reason why S'06 is not SA3 in my opinion. S'06 is just a SA-styled game.
Edited by TwoTailedFox

No, you misunderstood me. I've been analyzing three SA-styled games starting from the title screens and giving up the analysis on the first levels, because for me there were enough reasons to say that S'06 has no SA/SA2 spirit.

• Thumbs Up 2

About the voice in the menu thing. Yeah, that doesn't mean anything. Neither do 3 of your 4 arguments.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sonic 06 is an Adventure styled game.

Simple as. No denying. It basically derived itself from the past successes of SA1 and SA2. It wasn't finished, but that's a different issue.

Also, I'd like to ask why this has been brought up. We know that the actual Sonic Adventure 3 isn't going to come out, and if it does, then it will probably utilise the Unleashed gameplay, or at least a slightly modified version of it, and will thus be rejected by all Adventure fans, because it doesn't have the SA-spirit (even though it is clearly called SA3)

So why discredit S06 as SA3? What's the point. Nobody actually cares if it was SA3 or not.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, it's like Classic Sonic's black eyes. Lame, but important. Maybe you just have to be a SA-fan to understand me.

Edited by Hogfather

Man, it's like Classic Sonic's black eyes. Lame, but important.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Man, it's like Classic Sonic's black eyes. Lame, but important. Maybe you just have to be a SA-fan to understand me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why didn't you mention the other playable characters? Surely thats an adventure trait/formula?

Characters, gameplay... the adventure formula, of course, involves this. The problem for me is the fact that I just don't feel the SA-spirit in S'06. Maybe the reason is that SA/SA2 are connected with some nostalgic feelings, I don't know.

Edited by Cstyler

Characters, gameplay... the adventure formula, of course, involves it. The problem for me is the fact that I just don't feel the SA-spirit in S'06. Maybe the reason is that SA/SA2 are connected with some nostalgic feelings, I don't know.

You shot yourself in the foot right there.

The reason SA1 and SA2 feel so Adventure-ish because of nostalgia. Looking at things from outside the fanbase, Sonic 06, looks like a Sonic Adventure game, pretty much perfectly.

In fact, its probably more of a sequel to Sonic Adventure 1, than Sonic Adventure 2 was.

Look at Nepenthe's list there, it shows the difference between SA1 and SA2. Sonic 06 has more similarities to SA1 - Hub Worlds, Stories focused on a single character and not a group (argue about the amigo's, but you played mostly as Sonic Shadow, and Silver).

Why Sonic 2006 is pretty much Sonic Adventure 3.

Gameplay:

- Sonic 2006 has Adventure Fields.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure

- Sonic 2006 has characters with different gameplay elements.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2

- Sonic 2006 has stages made for more than one character.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure

- Sonic 2006 has upgrades that can be gained for characters, some optional.

- Sonic 2006 has town missions.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure DX

- Sonic 2006 gives you medals for finishing missions or stages.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 (Emblems)

- Sonic 2006 gave you direct control of your character and camera to allow free roaming movement when possible.

- Sonic 2006 had multiplayer.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure 2

- Sonic 2006 let you play as a character started out against Sonic.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure (E-102) and Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow)

Visual Elements:

- Sonic 2006 has a Chao in Space 3 poster.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure (Chao in Space) and Sonic Adventure 2 (Chao in Space 2) (SA2B: Planet of the Chaos)

- Sonic 2006 has a realistic look to the world.

Storywise:

- Sonic 2006 introduced two new characters, Elise and Silver.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure (Big and E-102) and Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow and Rouge)

- Sonic 2006 have a fight against a big monster at the end.

- Sonic 2006 has a story that can stand on its own.

Other:

- Sonic 2006 have data left on disc talking about turning into Super Sonic in stages even though it was scrapped.

Carried over from Sonic Adventure (:P)

- Sonic 2006 got a later release on a PS3 with something added (Freeroam Mode).

Carried over from Sonic Adventure DX (Missions) and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (New Multiplayer and Chao Karate)

- Sonic 2006 has Sonic being chased by something large on the first stage.

What it doesn't have:

- The Chao Garden

Was in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2

---------------------------------------------------

And that's just what I thought of right now, see? It works both ways around. :P

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 3

:(

Thank you guys for the feedback, I've finally realized what was the matter.

Anyway, that's pretty sad that Sonic Team discarded the SA-formula after the S'06 failure. I hope that some day Iizuka will wake up and find out that there are a lot of forgotten SA-fans who need to be satisfied.

Edited by Cstyler
  • Thumbs Up 1